Film Avengers: Infinity War (Don't open this thread if you haven't seen the movie)

afrocentricity

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
I mean, I get it. Nitpicking is fun, but all the pop culture blockbusters have never really been logical, so saying that now is just stating water is wet, and it’s been that way because of the constraints of the medium. You don’t have 30+ hours to develop storyline and motivation like a TV show.
I don't even see it as a subgenre that needs all it's intricacies explained away, but that's just me. It's not exactly high brow Sci Fi / Fantasy.

I guess you could look at differently and say that these comic movies have gotten good enough to be exposed to the same cross examinations as high concept Sci Fi movies. Don't know if agree tho, as personally I think they're a different animal.

InfiniteBoredom

I don't even see it as a subgenre that needs all it's intricacies explained away, but that's just me. It's not exactly high brow Sci Fi / Fantasy.

I guess you could look at differently and say that these comic movies have gotten good enough to be exposed to the same cross examinations as high concept Sci Fi movies. Don't know if agree tho, as personally I think they're a different animal.
As someone whose the pinnacle of childhood were the Schumacher’s Batman films, I’m more than happy with what we have atm :lol:

Donk87

Supports
Arsenal
So is every planet in the entire universe at the exact same stage and rate of population/development as the next? The resource to life ratio is exactly the same everywhere?

There is no way you can dress it up that makes it less stupid. The more you try, the more stupid it becomes apparent that it is.

It's one of those things that you either accept or just don't think about. It doesn't make the movie a bad movie but there is no getting away from it really. It makes no sense
You're definitely overthinking this. As others have pointed out it's a popcorn blockbuster.

If you can accept the premise of superheroes, aliens, Norse gods and gems that control reality/time/space all coexisting it's not a stretch to accept that a madman's plan might not be entirely logical.

The concept of his cull is a deranged minds interpretation of neo-malthusianism. It's an idea that's been around for centuries and Thanos just gave it an omnipotent spin.

On the film itself I thought it was fun and was surprised how coherent it was given the amount of characters involved. Bit of a shame they clicked away a bunch of people who've already had films announced but given it's based on comics we shouldn't be surprised. After all nobody seems to stays dead in that world.

Comedy Thor and the Guardians are a perfect fit. Hope they crossover some more going forward.

marukomu

The Gatekeeper
After all nobody seems to stays dead in that world.
Apparently that was part of the thinking behind Batman: The Killing Joke. The fact that nobody dies. There is a panel in that comic that possibly shows Batman strangling the Joker.

Didn't the original Captain Marvel stay dead?

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down
Maybe not. People may have better control over population increase as they know a immediate threat is looming. Resource stripping, global warming are too macro for many to feel an immediate need. Having Thanos and his magic fingers will change minds quicker.
Why not click his fingers and fill everyone's bellies? Why does he have to kill when he can create? Doesn't make sense.

OneUnited24

Maybe Thanos can't create stuff out of thin air without taking matter from somewhere else? (If matter in the universe is limited)
I like this theory.

If he could create things out of nothing then it might be that Thanos doesn't want a universe where there are unlimited resources as it would cause the elite to horde it and use as power over those that can't collect the resources themselves. I mean he did all this to bring some balance to the universe

Sylar

I think people are thinking too deeply about a movie where a purple alien who is referred to as mad, wants to do shit his way and thinks its the best way to do it.

Redlambs

Creator of the Caftards comics
Officially the best poker player on RAWK.
Or maybe people enjoy discussing things on a discussion board?

It amuses me the amount of times people want to shut down thoughts of others who seem to enjoy dissecting this stuff. Sure I'm on the side of it's a super hero film, so disengage brain and just enjoy it, but I've no problem with people wanting to talk plot holes and all that.

Hephaestus

Maybe Thanos can't create stuff out of thin air without taking matter from somewhere else? (If matter in the universe is limited)
Yeah, think you might be right. Agents of Shield had someone who was supposedly creating stuff out of thin air who was inadvertently stealing it from other dimensions.

phonics_tid

Your Mother Was a Hamster and Your Father Smelt of
Rewatching this for the second time and as much as I really love it, one thing in particular bothers me.

By giving Peter Parker the fancy suit, he’s essentially been turned into Iron Man Jnr. Although he has individual powers, by having the suit, pretty much anyone can be Spider-Man.

Not the biggest fan of Iron Man anyway and thought Homecoming was really weak, I do like Spider-Man in this but having the suit just spoils the character a bit for me. Bring back the lycra I say.

afrocentricity

It amuses me the amount of times people want to shut down thoughts of others who seem to enjoy dissecting this stuff. Sure I'm on the side of it's a super hero film, so disengage brain and just enjoy it, but I've no problem with people wanting to talk plot holes and all that.
Hold your horses nobody is shutting anything down. People are just either commenting on how pointless it is, disagreeing with it, or clearing up misconceptions. :lol:

Wanna shut down thoughts of others do ya?

decorativeed

Rewatching this for the second time and as much as I really love it, one thing in particular bothers me.

By giving Peter Parker the fancy suit, he’s essentially been turned into Iron Man Jnr. Although he has individual powers, by having the suit, pretty much anyone can be Spider-Man.

Not the biggest fan of Iron Man anyway and thought Homecoming was really weak, I do like Spider-Man in this but having the suit just spoils the character a bit for me. Bring back the lycra I say.
I kind of agree, but I thought it was more of an issue in Homecoming, with the gadgets and AI. I think most likely they are trying to differentiate the MCU Spidey from the previous version and do something new for the screen (it's obviously a bigger element of the more recent comics) and gearing up to strip him of all the technology after Infinity War 2 and Iron Man's possible death.

Sylar

Shut down thoughts of others? Where?

Snow

He doesn't want to be a hypocrite, though.
He is one Talks about balance and wiping out half but his actions wipe out way more than half. All the plains in the air, hospitals, vehicles on the road etc and that's just Earth.

The plot fails because his motivates from the comics are changed but not the actions and therefor his actions don't make sense.

Zarlak

my face causes global warming
Truth like rain don't give a feck who it falls on.
He is one Talks about balance and wiping out half but his actions wipe out way more than half. All the plains in the air, hospitals, vehicles on the road etc and that's just Earth.

The plot fails because his motivates from the comics are changed but not the actions and therefor his actions don't make sense.
I was just making a joke. The plot fails because it's a film about a bunch of people with magical powers not based in any way in reality who can't take somebodies glove off. Any criticism past that is stupid. This is a villain who watched his world die, try to accomplish something insane. That's it. He's not a round table of philosophers or 30 Caf members bouncing ideas off of each other, nor did he go to university to develop his critical thinking skills prior to hatching his plan. He got an idea and ran with it, like half the UK public did with Brexit and like half the US public did with Trump for also stupid reasons. People make stupid decisions that don't make sense every single day. As someone said above, if you can accept a premise of Norse Gods, magic stones that alter time and reality itself, flying sorcerers and technology so advanced you can pretty much make whatever you want happen just by thinking it i.e Iron Man's new suit and a guy who can climb on walls because he got bitten by a spider then you can forgive an evil person who's plan is flawed. I don't know where this requirement came from that villains must have totally logical, sensible plans that are infallible. I don't remember that ever being the case in any film I've seen with a villain in it. Or if someone could name an outlier, it would probably be exactly that.

If Thanos said 'half the universe there or thereabouts' would that make it okay? Does he have to give Neil de Grasse Tyson levels of mathematical accuracy for the plot to be okay? Of 7 billion people on Earth, how many people do you think are on planes that crashed? not even 1%, barely event a dent so you can to the normal person just use the phrase 'half the population'. Nobody cares about these distinctions, and they're making these movies for the millions of people that will go and watch them, not the hundreds of people that pick apart semantics. For all you know someone said in Marvel 'what about the guys on planes' and everyone else said 'lol are you joking, why would a mad titan give two shits about a thousands people on planes when wiping out billions?' and then they said 'ah yeah good point, that is a bit silly tbh'.

Last edited:

Sylar

For all you know someone said in Marvel 'what about the guys on planes' and everyone else said 'lol are you joking, why would a mad titan give two shits about a thousands people on planes when wiping out billions?' and then they said 'ah yeah good point, that is a bit silly tbh'.
The real reason James Gunn got fired.

Andersons Dietician

Against the overall totals of half the universes “population” disappearing I doubt the figures from planes or automotive accidents really sque the figures that much.
How does the plot fail? Limit the drain on the universes resources by culling half of the drain upon it. I mean it’s explained in the film and it’s quite a straight forward princable, I really don’t know how people are struggiling with it.

Snow

I was just making a joke. The plot fails because it's a film about a bunch of people with magical powers not based in any way in reality who can't take somebodies glove off. Any criticism past that is stupid. This is a villain who watched his world die, try to accomplish something insane. That's it. He's not a round table of philosophers or 30 Caf members bouncing ideas off of each other, nor did he go to university to develop his critical thinking skills prior to hatching his plan. He got an idea and ran with it, like half the UK public did with Brexit and like half the US public did with Trump for also stupid reasons. People make stupid decisions that don't make sense every single day. As someone said above, if you can accept a premise of Norse Gods, magic stones that alter time and reality itself, flying sorcerers and technology so advanced you can pretty much make whatever you want happen just by thinking it i.e Iron Man's new suit and a guy who can climb on walls because he got bitten by a spider then you can forgive an evil person who's plan is flawed. I don't know where this requirement came from that villains must have totally logical, sensible plans that are infallible. I don't remember that ever being the case in any film I've seen with a villain in it. Or if someone could name an outlier, it would probably be exactly that.

If Thanos said 'half the universe there or thereabouts' would that make it okay? Does he have to give Neil de Grasse Tyson levels of mathematical accuracy for the plot to be okay? Of 7 billion people on Earth, how many people do you think are on planes that crashed? not even 1%, barely event a dent so you can to the normal person just use the phrase 'half the population'. Nobody cares about these distinctions, and they're making these movies for the millions of people that will go and watch them, not the hundreds of people that pick apart semantics. For all you know someone said in Marvel 'what about the guys on planes' and everyone else said 'lol are you joking, why would a mad titan give two shits about a thousands people on planes when wiping out billions?' and then they said 'ah yeah good point, that is a bit silly tbh'.
You're all over the place here. Of course criticism isn't stupid. This is world of comics. There's nothing more scrutinized that every detail in comics. Scientific theory has a bigger margin of error.

He's a guy smart enough to collect the fabric of being in order to be omnipotent. He's not a populist. Also this movie is based on a story that already exists where his character and motive make sense. They changed that and made it stupid (within the realm of comics). His plan shouldn't be flawed when he's been planning for a lifetime. That's a pretty bad villain.

I don't care much about it, it's just something that stuck out at the end of the movie. The whole movie felt pointless the way it was set up and how it ended. I enjoyed the journey but I won't rewatch it and it's not in my top list of Marvel movies.

Snow

Against the overall totals of half the universes “population” disappearing I doubt the figures from planes or automotive accidents really sque the figures that much.
How does the plot fail? Limit the drain on the universes resources by culling half of the drain upon it. I mean it’s explained in the film and it’s quite a straight forward princable, I really don’t know how people are struggiling with it.
The plot fail because he's omnipotent yet he preaches that it's the only way. He's built up to be a villain with a POV where the viewer should think "yea, he's ruthless but his motives are at least noble and good" but all along he's got the power to do whatevery he wants so there's really no point for him to kill half.

In the comics he kills half. Why? Because he wanted to impress Mistress Death (basically just Death). He actually wanted to kill a bunch specifically to show that he could and that he would. He was crazy. In the movie he was chill and philosophical yet he still murders half the population. Doesn't make sense.

Sylar

Cos he believed it would help everybody. Seriously, that was his motive and I thought it made sense.
He had it stuck in his mind that it made sense after what happened to Titan and he wasnt listened to. So he saw himself as a saviour for everybody by doing what nobody else was willing to think or do.

Zarlak

my face causes global warming
Truth like rain don't give a feck who it falls on.
The plot fail because he's omnipotent yet he preaches that it's the only way. He's built up to be a villain with a POV where the viewer should think "yea, he's ruthless but his motives are at least noble and good" but all along he's got the power to do whatevery he wants so there's really no point for him to kill half.

In the comics he kills half. Why? Because he wanted to impress Mistress Death (basically just Death). He actually wanted to kill a bunch specifically to show that he could and that he would. He was crazy. In the movie he was chill and philosophical yet he still murders half the population. Doesn't make sense.
That's an even stupider reason than the reason in the film. You also keep saying that Thanos is omnipotent, Thanos is never omnipotent. When he has the gauntlet and all the stones combined, he has powers that effectively make him kinda omnipotent, but Thanos as a being is not, especially without the stones in the gauntlet. So the entire time he's chasing the stones and has his plan, he's not even close to being described as omnipotent. Ergo, he's just as susceptible to flawed thinking as you or I. Also in the comics, pretty much every time he is beaten by the heroes it's because he has a plan that has a major flaw in it. It's totally normal for villains in any medium be it comic books, James Bond movies, fecking Scooby Doo, for the villains to have flaws in their thinking and rationale.

Andersons Dietician

Spoilers mate, spoilers!!!!

Andersons Dietician

Thread title.
Yeah, except it’s possible spoilers for the next movie which no one has seen yet. It’s common curtesy as that is material from the source material which could play a part in the 2nd movie. Everyone else when they’ve discussed that have used spoilers.

afrocentricity

Is it just this movie that triggers the internet movie critics on here? Can't recall...

Pogue Mahone

Swiftie Fan Club President
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
The kill half the universe to equal balance thing is up there as one of the stupidist plans any villain in a film has ever had. It's weird to see people try to justify it. You either accept you can enjoy the movie in spite of it or you don't. There is no getting away from it making absolutely no sense. One animal's life and resource can be dependent on how many of another animal there is. Never mind that he'd have to constantly be clicking his fingers to kill life as more life comes into being. Otherwise his plan is completely pointless. He also only killed half the asgardians even though they had destroyed their planet and therefore all of their own resource. I mean, you just don't think about it as it keeps getting sillier the more you do.

As bad as that bond villain who's master plan was to control 23% of the water supply in Bolivia, or something
I thought he just wiped out humans?

Cutting the population of the earth in half might not solve all of man’s problems overnight but it would buy us a hell of a lot of time. Possibly enough time for us to solve them for ourselves.

As comic book supervillain plot devices go this was nowhere near the silliest.

Ødegaard

formerly MrEriksen
Scout
Yeah, except it’s possible spoilers for the next movie which no one has seen yet. It’s common curtesy as that is material from the source material which could play a part in the 2nd movie. Everyone else when they’ve discussed that have used spoilers.
Last part is fair, people have used spoilers for comic talk, but not all. Marvel aren't following the comics fully, and what he has talked about in general won't be in the next movie for sure.

Welsh Wonder

A dribbling mess on the sauce

Cutting the population of the earth in half might not solve all of man’s problems overnight but it would buy us a hell of a lot of time. Possibly enough time for us to solve them for ourselves.

Apparently half of all life, including plants and animals. Makes it an even more stupid plan.

https://screenrant.com/infinity-war-thanos-snap-animals-plants-killed/

Oldyella

Yeah, think you might be right. Agents of Shield had someone who was supposedly creating stuff out of thin air who was inadvertently stealing it from other dimensions.
And he needed to make a sacrifice to obtain the soul gem, so could well be.

noodlehair

"It's like..."

So he just went around to each planet deciphering which species was the equivalent of humans? And it just so happened to be that on every single planet with a human like species, that species had a balance between themselves and resources that was exactly the same as his planet/earth, so as to make killing half of everyone, everywhere, actually make sense?

What do you think are the chances of that? Given that even on this planet alone, now, the resources and populations are not evenly distributed at all.

Kind of like saying "I have twice as many cows as I have harvest to feed them with, and now all my cows are dead, so what I will have to do is kill half of all cows, everywhere" ...it doesn't really matter how "mad" you are, this doesn't make any sense.

I don't really know why we're picking/defending holes in something that is just daft purely as a concept. It works because it is simple in a film that already has more than enough going on, but as a motivation it is unworkable once you look at it practically.