"Average" players looking godlike in weaker leagues

STaphouse

Supports
Reading
Beckham and Del Piero being described as average. Some of you need to give your heads a wobble.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
This thread is a mess. Every player and league has been mentioned.

Could state average players looking godlike in back water leagues and someone will say "Forlan at Villarreal". :lol:

Kurosawa

Supports
Liverpool
Falcao at Atletico Madrid.

Couldn't hack it in the premier league against elite defenders.

TJSF

Supports
Benfica
Quaresma. Player of the year in Portugal, Bidone d'oro in Italy.

prath92

Aaron Hughes at 36 looked like peak vidic in the Indian Super League.

LeCon

Supports
St Germain Le Fouilloux
This thread reminds me of Dirk Kuyt. I read just yesterday that he scored a hat-trick to seal some title for his team in Holland. He's like 72 and banging them in for fun.

Keeps It tidy

Hates Messi
This thread is once again proof that the definition of "average" on this forum is completely out of wack.

RedRevongge

Jardel was above average but he looked like prime Shaquille O'Neal version of football player in the portuguese league.
Jardel was a weird one. I don't know why a top team didn't take a punt on him in his prime as the guy was a scoring machine. I wouldn't even say it was a case of him being average in the right league, I think he just let himself go and didn't put the effort in when he first came to England

Bole Top

I don't think some people get this thread
yep. I was already beginning to think I didn't make it clear enough in my OP. there are some good shouts, but Forlan, Shevchenko and Falcao?!

OT: Rivaldo, nearly at the age of 40 in Uzbekistan :lol: obviously, he was untouchable there, leading Bunyodkor to title and finishing the season with most goals and most assists in the league.

redspoony

Trying to stick with the original theme (I think!) of the thread...

Ricky van Wolfswinkel in Holland and Portugal. Tore it up from what I gather but couldn't hack the Premier League.
Alfonso Alves for Heerenveen had a ridiculous goal to game ratio, but was pish for 'Boro.
Sergey Rebrov, class for Dynamo Kyiv, awful in a better league for Spurs and West Ham.

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner
Scott Sinclair looks like prime Ronaldo in the Scottish league. An average Premier League player/upper Championship player in England.

King7Eric

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Shevchenko at Dynamo and AC. Just never really turned up at Chelsea...
Are you seriously calling the Serie A that Shevchenko played in a "weak" league?? At that time it was one of the best leagues in Europe.

Ecstatic

Cutie patootie!
Supports
PsG
Fontaine post about Rivaldo being a difficult ego.
Strong ego (like Zlatan, Rivaldo) and complex ego of a player who thinks he is a great one are 2 different stories :)

Shady

Eto'o looked finished, but is now scoring for fun in Turkey.

VBI

Supports
Celtic, Barca
There's an awful lot of people saying Portugal or Holland here. :O Basically, any league that isn't in the top 2 then?

Zii

Off optic but can you imagine if Ronaldo played his entire career in the MLS, he would have a 1000 goals

Mr Smith

Beckham and Del Piero being described as average. Some of you need to give your heads a wobble.
To be fair, it's a little more legitimate when you're talking about a 38 year old David Beckham or Del Piero. They're certainly not average players, but they were at a more average level by that point. The latter was finished by the time he came to Sydney FC from Juventus, but still looked insanely good in our league and his name still gets sung by the Cove.

Bringing up the likes of Silva, Mata, N'Zonzi and Dzeko in this thread however... :houllier:

Bas Dost?
He was never actually that bad in Germany, had a lot of injury problems.