"Average" players looking godlike in weaker leagues

sincher

"I will cry if Rooney leaves"
Jonjo Shelvey, Matt Ritchie and Dwight Gayle all looked too good for the Champo, maybe not good enough for the PL.

UnrelatedPsuedo

I pity the poor fool who stinks like I do!
This thread reminds me of Dirk Kuyt. I read just yesterday that he scored a hat-trick to seal some title for his team in Holland. He's like 72 and banging them in for fun.
I know I'm not really allowed. But I really like the guy. Walked into Feyenoord, said he was going to win the league. Got laughed at. Delivered.

Weird face that's always wearing three expressions at once. Stupid hair. No real position. Played for Liverpool. Still like him.

Maagge

enjoys sex, doesn't enjoy women not into ONS
I know I'm not really allowed. But I really like the guy. Walked into Feyenoord, said he was going to win the league. Got laughed at. Delivered.

Weird face that's always wearing three expressions at once. Stupid hair. No real position. Played for Liverpool. Still like him.
Speaking of Feyenoord their summer signing Nicolai Jørgensen has 21 goals (topscorer) and 11 assists (joint first) in 32 games. Pretty decent.

Šjor Bepo

Wout is love, Wout is life; all hail Wout!
Jonjo Shelvey, Matt Ritchie and Dwight Gayle all looked too good for the Champo, maybe not good enough for the PL.
i thought Ritchie looked good in PL as well, nothing special but good enough for a team like Bournemouth.

Ian Reus

Ended 14 years of Grand National sweepstakes
Georgios Samaras:
Crap everywhere bar Scotland.
He was citehs record transfer fee for a Greek at 6m. Citeh later said he was very bad business. :lol:

Ecstatic

Cutie patootie!
Supports
PsG
There's an awful lot of people saying Portugal or Holland here. :O Basically, any league that isn't in the top 2 then?
Any league that is outside London/Manchester FYI

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
Georgios Samaras:
Crap everywhere bar Scotland.
He was citehs record transfer fee for a Greek at 6m. Citeh later said he was very bad business. :lol:
He averaged somewhere between 1 goal every 3 and 4 games in Scotland.

Bole Top

Derbyshire was actually top scorer in Cyprus last season with 24 goals, playing for Omonia. his previous record for single season was 10 goals, in league two.

vodrake

Whenever I look at the French League stats, there's nearly always at least one or two average/poor ex Premier League players banging goals in for fun there. Bafetimbi Gomis and Florian Thauvin last season for example scored 20 and 15 respectively.

CircusMonkey

Saw Trundle play a far few times, and sometimes he looked like Pele, other times he looked like a obese asthmatic waiting for a bus. I think his failure to make it at a higher level could have been down to fitness and dedication over ability.

I would have like to have seen Steve Bull play at a higher level.

MiceOnMeth

Iago Aspas? Unequivocal flop at Pool yet scored 19 for Celta last season and hes more of a wide forward than a striker isnt he? Neymar scored 13 in comparison.

BBRBB

Supports
Paris Saint-Germain
Whenever I look at the French League stats, there's nearly always at least one or two average/poor ex Premier League players banging goals in for fun there. Bafetimbi Gomis and Florian Thauvin last season for example scored 20 and 15 respectively.
Thauvin is a good player. He just needed a bit of confidence and time to develop.

PhilMcD79

This should surely just be a big list of Dutch flops. Kezman, Alves, Depay, Venegoor of Hessilink etc.

Kanu

Supports
Feyenoord & United
People saying Kuyt wtf? He was a an above average player for Liverpool and never godlike in the Netherlands. They love him at every club he's played for. He also did really well at the 2014 WC.

He won the title with Feyenoord and Fenerbache
Scored in a CL final
Played in a WC final
Scored a (beautiful) hattrick vs United

People seem to think because he scored a hattrick in his last game that he was the best player in the Eredivisie. Fact is, if Vilhena wasn't suspended, he'd have been on the bench that game. He was never godlike, but not an average player either so it doesn't make sense to me at all.

Kezman, Babel and Afonso Alves would be the obvious picks from the Dutch league and Kuyt definitely doesn't belong with those guys.

Last edited:

AlwaysRed66

All these strikers that go to Spain & become striking gods. Fuuny, as we are constantly told how superior La Liga is to the Premiership, but surely it should have the opposite effect if it is a tougher league.

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?
Adel Taarabt in the Championship.
No surprise why he failed to make it...when he was still playing in the Championship he was talking about playing for an elite team and turning his nose up at everything else!

“England is not for me, I think La Liga is the best league for me. [I don’t like] how they play in England, I like to play football.” Taarabt was quoted as saying. “I look at teams like Bolton, Stoke or Wolves and say: ‘there is just no point for me’. I hate that style of football. I hope to be playing for one of the top four in Spain next season. Real Madrid, Barcelona, Valencia or Sevilla. I have contact with good teams and I know that they want me.”
In fairness to him, he did keep QPR in the PL with these two goals against Arsenal and Spurs:

Hullyback

Supports
Liverpool FC
Suso (Liverpool to AC Milan)

Iago Aspas (Liverpool to wherever he is now, somewhere in Spain scoring goals)

Eto'o (some random Turkish club)

Acheron

Supports
Real Madrid
I've seen a couple of highlights from a pair of matched of Hirving Lozano playing for PSV and he looks very good. Didn't quite follow mexican league much but he looks better to the few times I watched him playing there. So I'm not saying he's an average/bad player or something like that but I wonder if he could play like that in Bundesliga, Premier League or in Spain. So good start from him on Eredivise although he still looks raw and needs to work on his composure.

Niall

All Powerful Super Being
Staff
Tony Cascarino at Marseille, 1994 - 97. 61 goals in 84 appearances :lol:

B20

HEY EVERYONE I IGNORE SOMEONE LOOK AT ME
Supports
Liverpool
I still remember when Jacob Laursen moved from Derby to FC Copenhagen and was a level above everyone else in the league,