g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });
Axel Tuanzebe image 38

Axel Tuanzebe England flag

2018-19 Performances

View full 2018-19 profile

Status
Not open for further replies.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
He doesn’t shirk but his timing needs work. Something he can learn though as it’s not a skill that gets refined as much in the academies these days
Sounds a bit like Bailly. Sometimes he’d jump directly under the ball and the header would literally go straight up in the air

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
I know plenty of Villa fans and have never heard he 'shirks aerial challenges'. Villa fans who are season ticket holders too.
Just because they didn't tell you doesn't mean he won't shrink away from challenges. People who made that observation posted that. Maybe your friends didn't observe that, or maybe they did but they didn't tell you that.

Do your friends tell you everything they think/feel?

Adnan

Talent Spotter
I was of that opinion though having watched more of Axel now in the men’s game - I think he’s slightly below Gomez in terms of maturity and innate confidence level under pressure. One is more ready to play at the elite level than the other though injuries may prove to be a handbrake on either players development. Talent wise though Axel is better on the ball and Gomez is the better natural defender.
That's what I like about you bro. You go deep into the technical stuff..

I think Axel will hopefully come along further once he gets a season in the Prem. His ability on the ball is very impressive already.

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
He doesn’t shirk but his timing needs work. Something he can learn though as it’s not a skill that gets refined as much in the academies these days
Timing and also hesitancy. There’s that split second of hesitancy sometimes in aerial situations which is where the ‘shirking’ criticism comes from - it’s a fair one IMO but expected of a technically gifted young player. It’s not an easy thing to overcome however at this stage - but Joe Gomez was criticised for the same thing and his heading has come on well during those games at CB.

Tuanzebe is unlikely to become a VVD in the air but as long as he can be reliable and not be shaky, it’ll be good enough in the long term you’d hope.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Just because they didn't tell you doesn't mean he won't shrink away from challenges. People who made that observation posted that. Maybe your friends didn't observe that, or maybe they did but they didn't tell you that.

They told me his only obvious weakness was his inability to win aerial balls. But that has improved under the guise of John Terry. I very much doubt Terry or the manager will play someone at CB who is gonna shirk aerial challenges.

Also don't forget that I have been watching the lad at the academy level since he was 16.

roonster09

Scout
They told me his only obvious weakness was his inability to win aerial balls. But that has improved under the guise of John Terry. I very much doubt Terry or the manager will play someone at CB who is gonna shirk aerial challenges.

Also don't forget that I have been watching the lad at the academy level since he was 16.
They didn't say he shirks from all challenges, it's observations they made. Maybe he did couple of times and they noticed it.

Anyways this is all pointless. We will see more of him next season. For now, I would go with people who watch him regularly.

FromTheBench

His aerial play can be dubious at times. Was at academy level too and in reserves.

But he would improve on that I guess. Even lindelof has had too at United.

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.

Your surname doesn't happen to be Tuanzebe? :nervous::nervous::lol::lol:;)

Mickson

I've watched Tuanzebe since he was like 15. I agree that he can be dubious in the air at times. He's no Vidic. I don't think it's because he can't, I think he's just not that reckless. I think I wrote here earlier that he isn't the guy who slides and blocks a shot like a hero. He plays with his shorts free from dirt. Axel actually got criticized a little bit in the last meeting when he didn't make an effort to block a shot which ended up in goal. He's so strong, good with his feet, fast, reads the game well and if he can be a bit more cynical... he would probably be our best CB in a year or two. I do feel that John Terry has worked with Axel on that. And I know that Axel has contact and talks with Rio from time to time, so he's in good hands in that respect and I'm sure he's aware of that. Let's just keep or fingers crossed that he works on that and that he stays injury free, if so, we have a gem in our hands. I have no doubt about that.

foolsgold

Whilst fully acknowledging the problems of the past, I wonder if we should be giving John Terry a fair bit of credit for the work he's done with Axel?

He seems a transformed player after 6 months under his tutelage

Born2Lose

Go to Villatalk forum and they talk about it, that he needs to improve his heading and he shrinks away from aerial duels and it's surprising for a CB.
Go to Redcafe and they'll tell you Martial is world class.

arthurka

Sounds a bit like Bailly. Sometimes he’d jump directly under the ball and the header would literally go straight up in the air
He is nothing like Bailly at all, he is normally pretty cool and composed something that Bailly is not.
He isn´t bad in the air but he isn´t good either. Taking on how much he has improved at Villa I would like to see him at Old Trafford but I think he would be better off playing in the PL one full season before we take him in. This place is really toxic at the moment so it might be the best solution.

roonster09

Scout
Go to Redcafe and they'll tell you Martial is world class.
Not sure what your point is. These are not knee jerk reactions calling player shit or world class, these are posts about players strengths and weaknesses based on what they watched.

roonster09

Scout
You seemed to have taken the comments quite personally!! ;):p
No. I'm just saying what's posted by Villa fans. Obviously it's logical to go with fans who watch him every min rather than Manutd fans who would have watched couple of games and youtube videos.

It's not like there were shitting on him too, they all believe he is very good talent and very composed, just that there is a weakness in his game which he should improve on. I thought it was a fair comment going by how many people shared the same opinion. They also said he has improved his heading ability this season and also his rate of his improvement is superb. It was all praise + decent points on areas he should improve.

That's a very cut down version of his highlights. Lots of things missing.

He looked very good for 90% of the game and clearly there's a good player in there. The 10% will get severely punished in the PL, but time is on his side and he probably needs to be thrown into that environment now to see if he can make the step up. Every young defender is the same at that age, and not forgetting the magnitude of the game.

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.
No. I'm just saying what's posted by Villa fans. Obviously it's logical to go with fans who watch him every min rather than Manutd fans who would have watched couple of games and youtube videos.

It's not like there were shitting on him too, they all believe he is very good talent and very composed, just that there is a weakness in his game which he should improve on. I thought it was a fair comment going by how many people shared the same opinion. They also said he has improved his heading ability this season and also his rate of his improvement is superb. It was all praise + decent points on areas he should improve.
He has a future at United and is a long way from being the finished product being barely 21.
That's why I am calm about his perceived flaws. Said early, he looks like an English Paul McGarth to me.

roonster09

Scout
He has a future at United and is a long way from being the finished product being barely 21.
That's why I am calm about his perceived flaws. Said early, he looks like an English Paul McGarth to me.
I agree. I wanted him in this team this season but with benefit of hindsight, loan worked really well for him. He should be part of our first team. Sell/offload Jones, Rojo and promote him. He can play in europa league games, cup games and even in few league games.

He looks very strong in one on one duels, got very good recovery pace and has got very good composure on the ball.

RE1999

Importantly (aside from his obvious talent) he actually seems to enjoy high pressure games. Looking forward to seeing him at Wembley.

ManRed

Rather send him on loan to a premier league club next season than bring him back as 3/4 choice CB. He needs game time at this stage of his career and its not like he will be a huge difference to jones next season.

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
Thought he did really well in such a hostile atmosphere.
What stood out was how confident he was in possession playing out from the keeper. He looked to pass the ball forward every opportunity and limited the high ball whenever he could.

Good pace to track back and I didn't see him get caught out for speed.

Lost his runner for the goal but it was covering for Mings' mistake initially that led to the build up for the goal. Experience will see him improve in that area.

Love to have him back here. Think he'd have a big future

passing-wind

Don't care what anyone says he's better than Phil Jones, bring him in reduce Jones to a bench role it's a win win.

People complain that Mourinho had his favourites, I would absolutely hate for Ole to be doing the same with Smalling and Jones. Absolute disgrace bring in a top class centre half and Axel back.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
If Villa get promoted then we should give him another full season as a CB there. No point wasting him on our bench.

If they don't I guess it depends who we sign this summer. Id happily shift Rojo/Darmian and give him there place.

MadMike

Rather send him on loan to a premier league club next season than bring him back as 3/4 choice CB. He needs game time at this stage of his career and its not like he will be a huge difference to jones next season.
A 3rd CB gets loads of minutes. Jones is perennially injured. Bailly and especially Rojo, have one foot out the door. It'd make far more sense to keep him than loan him out especially if we fail to land a top CB. I'd rather keep him than splash +60m on Harry fecking Maguire if the Koulibaly chase is not fruitious.

Jibbs

United need him next season, but I think it would be beneficial to all parties if Tuanzebe stays at Villa for one more season, especially if they qualify for EPL. At Villa he will play week in week out without as much scrutiny. And then he will join United as a complete player in 2020.

Devil may care

Mixed bag from him last night IMO, I could see the club leaving him at Villa for another season if they win the play-off final, so he gets week in and week out PL football for a season.

ArjenIsM3

Tuanzebe? Yeah right. I'd consider McTominay as he has shown multiple times he truly cares about the club, one of our own, leaves it all on the pitch and though he's young he seems to be a leader on the pitch as well.

In Rainbows

Tuanzebe? Yeah right. I'd consider McTominay as he has shown multiple times he truly cares about the club, one of our own, leaves it all on the pitch and though he's young he seems to be a leader on the pitch as well.
I don't get what's so outlandish about it. He was a captain in our youth setup.

Mcking

Not-very-good at the actual football though.

redshaw

We should bring him back, see how he and Lindelof work. I don't see how leaving out Jones is a big deal, he's injured a lot anyway but if he isn't, he's not on big wages for the club and can be a squad player or sold if he isn't happy being edged out by Axel. We need good competition over the dross at the back.

Nickosaur

If villa get promoted, I'm torn as to whether we should loan him back for a season in the PL first.

It makes sense for Deano to go back to Sheffield utd as we have DDG and Romero. Tuanzebe I do feel could come into the first team and make an impact. But maybe one more season at villa, playing week in week out in the PL with fans that already know him and rate him, could be better for his overall development.

Mickson

We should bring him back, see how he and Lindelof work. I don't see how leaving out Jones is a big deal, he's injured a lot anyway but if he isn't, he's not on big wages for the club and can be a squad player or sold if he isn't happy being edged out by Axel. We need good competition over the dross at the back.
Glenn Murray likes this, 17 minutes ago.

ArjenIsM3

I don't get what's so outlandish about it. He was a captain in our youth setup.
Maybe because he's still a kid who's yet to prove that he's ready to be a squad player let alone our captain. There's also a big difference to captaining kids of your age group vs captaining the likes of Pogba.

Not-very-good at the actual football though.
Not our best player obviously but is that really what you look for in your captain? I think not. For example, here's what Tuchel said on giving Neymar the armband.

Tuchel said:
We have two captains, with Thiago Silva and Marquinhos, and we are not going to change. For me, [Neymar] does not have the profile to be the captain with the armband.

"He is a technical leader and attacker. I do not understand why everyone is talking about this thing. We have Thiago Silva and Marquinhos, they are fantastic.

steakpie

It's hard to judge his talent, he obviously is talented but time will tell if he's the real deal. He should be here next season. Also looking at the videos, looks to have gained a couple of inces at least since he was here, looks absolutely massive now.

flappyjay

Maybe because he's still a kid who's yet to prove that he's ready to be a squad player let alone our captain. There's also a big difference to captaining kids of your age group vs captaining the likes of Pogba
You suggested Scott who is a year older than Axel:houllier:

Status
Not open for further replies.