Axel Tuanzebe image 38

Axel Tuanzebe England flag

2018-19 Performances

View full 2018-19 profile

Status
Not open for further replies.

gr3yham3

I remember he played RB for us at the tail-end of 2 seasons ago against Arsenal, and there was a scene when Sanchez tried to barge into him while chasing after a loose ball and bounced off young Axel like he was a rock-wall. Should have seen the signs then that 1)Axel was going to be class and 2)Alexis was NOT going to be class

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
Think the issue with the loan move was that many believed and still believe that he could and should have played for the 1st team instead.
I don’t think he was ready. He’s had time to develop consistency. Throwing a CB in as green as he was would have been crazy, and could’ve done more harm than good.

Raven

He looks pretty huge in that video, fast too, plus he can play ball. Could be a very good partner for Lindelof next season. Probably just be third or fourth choice though.

gr3yham3

He looks pretty huge in that video, fast too, plus he can play ball. Could be a very good partner for Lindelof next season. Probably just be third or fourth choice though.
3rd or 4th is good enough for me, especially if we bring in someone like Koulibaly. We can then sell Jones and/or Bailly, along with Rojo.

RuudTom83

Most fans are sick of seeing Jones and Smalling, so it would be great if Tuanzebe could take the place of one of them and be the 3rd choice CB.

NinjaZombie

Punched the air when Liverpool beat City
His passing looked well positive in that video. Seems to play at a quick pace too. Quicker than Smalling, for example.

I think he has a place in the squad next season. I'd rather see him in the side, make a few mistakes, and learn from them than to see the same old shite from our supposed senior center backs.

izec

His passing looked well positive in that video. Seems to play at a quick pace too. Quicker than Smalling, for example.

I think he has a place in the squad next season. I'd rather see him in the side, make a few mistakes, and learn from them than to see the same old shite from our supposed senior center backs.
The likes of Smalling and Jones didnt learn and dint improve at all. They are still on the same level as 5 years ago. Same for Rojo and Bailly, no improvement happening. Lindelöf improved, the rest are on the same level or regressed for years. Tired of it.

MikeKing

Supports
Bournemouth
Thanks. Looks like he had a decent performance. I liked how his teammates seemed to keep him on his toes. If our situation wasn't so fecked I wouldn't be opposed to another season with Aston Villa, especially if they move up to the PL.

M16Red

Axel isn't much of a striker :lol: but his pace and power is pretty good!

roseguy64

Decision to be made in the summer whether he'll be served best as a rotational player here or starting every week in the PL. Regardless of how well he's done in the Championship, the PL is a big step up and he's not better than Smalling and Lindelof yet plus we'll likely bring in another CB.

SATA

Jose said he rated him but went on moaning about not being allowed to get a defender and not giving him a chance. If Ole sticks by his word about this club giving a chance to young players, Axel is probably the one, more so than Garner, Chong and Mason

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Never should've gone out on loan. If he was afforded the time and patience Mourinho gave to Lindelof for 18 months, then we would've not only saved £30m but also had a better CB right now.

haram

Jose said he rated him but went on moaning about not being allowed to get a defender and not giving him a chance. If Ole sticks by his word about this club giving a chance to young players, Axel is probably the one, more so than Garner, Chong and Mason
Maybe because Axel needed to play every week and the loan actually helped him.

Never should've gone out on loan. If he was afforded the time and patience Mourinho gave to Lindelof for 18 months, then we would've not only saved £30m but also had a better CB right now.
Strange conclusion. The loan seems to be exactly what he needed. He wasn’t ready for the first team 18 months ago, he might have got a couple of games for us. Now it looks like he’s ready to be a squad player. It’s worked out well.

C'est Moi Cantona

Lindelof is great, I'm glad we've got him, Axel has just gone away and used his loan to improve, which was the whole point, now he can come back and genuinely be a looked at as a starter, and we have Lindelof.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Strange conclusion. The loan seems to be exactly what he needed. He wasn’t ready for the first team 18 months ago, he might have got a couple of games for us. Now it looks like he’s ready to be a squad player. It’s worked out well.
It worked out exactly as I predicted. If there was a Koulibaly incoming then I could understand the loan. But signing Lindelof who wasn't ready to step into the fray and was also green didn't make much sense.

izec

It worked out exactly as I predicted. If there was a Koulibaly incoming then I could understand the loan. But signing Lindelof who wasn't ready to step into the fray and was also green didn't make much sense.
Yeah but Tuanzebe is an academy product and wasnt bought for 30m, it was easier for Jose to ignore him instead of the CB he handpicked from Portugal. I agree that we could have just given Tuanzebe the patience and playing time, he would have come good here anyway. He was good enough from the start, just needed pateince, confidence and playing time.

NoPace

Feel pretty good about CB if we sign a leader to partner Lindelof with Tuanzebe and Smalling in reserve. Sell Jones to a mid-table side for too much money and Rojo to Italy or Spain for too little.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Yeah but Tuanzebe is an academy product and wasnt bought for 30m, it was easier for Jose to ignore him instead of the CB he handpicked from Portugal. I agree that we could have just given Tuanzebe the patience and playing time, he would have come good here anyway. He was good enough from the start, just needed pateince, confidence and playing time.
Exactly.. Mourinho was never gonna give Tuanzebe the chance over what his personal scouts had recommended and that for €30m.

I even said at the time Tuanzebe was better than Lindelof when I discussed this with @Kag . He said the exact same thing what you said regarding Mourinho preferring his £30m CB. You were both correct.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
Jose rated him the same way I rate cheese on a sandwich, it’s alright but it’s not my favourite topping.

Smores

That's the thing with loans, when they turn out to be successful people just moan they were unnecessary.

Teja

Nothing in that video that Smalling / Bailly (or any other decent PL center back) cannot do, so I don't understand the composed / disciplined comments. Composed / disciplined relative to what? His age group?

He showed good pace sometimes and maybe he's ready to start playing in the PL, but a promising young player getting hyped as far as I'm concerned. I guess he deserves some bench time if he's back here and maybe rotation in the cup games but that's it.

From Villa talk

He is so good. So so good. I'm like a broken record now but a great performance today, played better than Mings I'd say.
Genuinely think he gets underrated in comparison to Jack/Mings/Tammy/McGinn. They're the main 4 and Tuanzebe is probably regarded as the best of the rest but he's right up there in his own right. It's such a shame that he's spent so much of the past two seasons injured as he's improved at a staggering rate with every game he's played. Desperately hope United will go big on a centre back or two in the summer and there's a chance we can keep hold of him. Complete class act.

Nothing in that video that Smalling / Bailly (or any other decent PL center back) cannot do, so I don't understand the composed / disciplined comments. Composed / disciplined relative to what? His age group?

He showed good pace sometimes and maybe he's ready to start playing in the PL, but a promising young player getting hyped as far as I'm concerned. I guess he deserves some bench time if he's back here and maybe rotation in the cup games but that's it.
When is Smalling ever composed on the ball??

haram

Get rid of Jones and Rojo and bring Axel back. It’s a no-brainer for me.

passing-wind

I'd take him over Jones, even though he would likely make mistakes we have a player who has the capability to grow.

Jones and Smalling to an extent are fringe players that offer no development in solving our defensive crisis. While Smalling is a more tidy defender he's not suited to a team who prize possession, this is why he's not even had a sniff under Southgate.

If we had a defender who was competent on the ball it provides confidence in the back four / midfield. De Gea would never have made that pass to Fred and conceded a goal if we had a good distributor, opposition would be more conscious to press from the front because of the spaces that can be exploited, we would finally be able to play through the pressure of a press, diagonal pings into the wide areas (David Luiz / Matip very competent in this transition), it gives us so much more dynamic play in attack.

Instead you have the likes of West Ham, Southampton, Everton, Watford give us intense fixtures because they can commit men forward with little risk attached if they are dispossessed, the same gets done against Pool / City and your looking at the 4/5 - 0's . Solskjaer needs to get ruthless with the centre halves next season before he gets my optimism.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
That's the thing with loans, when they turn out to be successful people just moan they were unnecessary.
I said almost two years ago it was unnecessary. So not sure who your post is aimed at.

izec

I have no issues with him getting loaned out than sitting on the bench here. I hope he gets another loan next season to the PL if we dont plan on giving him regular game time. I just feel he would possibly ask for a permanent move then. Dont know why the likes of Jones, Smalling, Bailly and Rojo should be the guys taking us out of the mess when we are in it partly because of them, for years and under different managers as well.

Jazz

Just in case anyone missed it. I don't like Mount.
Let him come back. No more loans.

Our CBs lack composure, and here we have Axel with the quality we're missing. Yes he'll make mistakes but I'd rather persevere with him than giving Jones etc more chances - they've had enough and haven't improved. Time for a change.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
Feel pretty good about CB if we sign a leader to partner Lindelof with Tuanzebe and Smalling in reserve. Sell Jones to a mid-table side for too much money and Rojo to Italy or Spain for too little.
That would be the best scenario.

rotherham_red

Watch the Swansea league cup tie last season. Both Lindelof and Axel played and if you hadn't seen the two previously, you'd have thought Axel was the big money signing and Lindelof was the kid fresh out of the academy. The difference between the two was that stark.

RedCurry

Is his injury record not a concern? We can’t have yet another ever-crippled CB to add to the squad.

BlueHaze

Is his injury record not a concern? We can’t have yet another ever-crippled CB to add to the squad.
Havn't seen his entire injury record but he was out for a while with an ankle injury. Apart from that I don't think he's had any problems this year.

Status
Not open for further replies.