Axel Tuanzebe, Andreas Pereira, Cameron Borthwick-Jackson and Timothy Fosu-Mensah

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
Where did I say he should be in the squad ?
You didn't, but the conversation you decided to join half way through was along those lines?

Both of them showed some promise, neither of them are good enough, hence the comparison.

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
CBJ has played a whopping 7 more games for us than Possebon, last of which came over 2 years ago.

He's never demonstrated the ability to be a squad member for us, and those average-to-decent performances he had for us were way over exaggerated. Theres a reason why he's only managed 7 games in 2 years in the championship, and it's not because Jose has no interest in him.
Well he did demonstrate it briefly in LvGs season when he started several games for us and performed well - Possebon meanwhile never started even 1 PL game for us

I never said he should be in the squad, but your comparison to Possebon was crap - that was the main point.

ivaldo

Well he did demonstrate it briefly in LvGs season when he started several games for us and performed well - Possebon meanwhile never started even 1 PL game for us

I never said he should be in the squad, but your comparison to Possebon was crap - that was the main point.
Both showed promise and were highly rated, neither was good enough and now can't get games for significantly weaker teams.
Not hard to get your head around. Still seems to be some people here wildly over exaggerating CBJs performances.

Last edited:

Seven Seas Sardines

At least CBJ can cross a ball. Something we can't at the moment, and considering how we always have to resort to crossing it's bloody ridiculous. :lol:

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
Both showed promise and were highly rated, neither was good enough and now can't get games for significantly weaker teams.
Not hard to get your head around. Still seems to be some people here wildly over exaggerating CBJs performances.
Those 7 games were better than anything the likes of Darmian, Shaw, Rojo, etc. produced on our LB in the past year or so. No one exaggarated his performances, but some senior members of our squad were kept for playing far worse than him.

Judas

Open to offers
Possebon showed some promise up until his big injury, never the same player after that, played with fear, was more reserved, it seemed to completely take away his confidence.

Josep Dowling

I don’t think any of them will be invoked too much. My personal feelings on youth players is if they aren’t involved in the first team by the age of 20 there is little chance for them.

Lingard is an exception to this.

I do like Tofu though and hope he is given a chance. Considering Valencia and Dalot being injured he might get a start against Leicester.

ivaldo

Those 7 games were better than anything the likes of Darmian, Shaw, Rojo, etc. produced on our LB in the past year or so. No one exaggarated his performances, but some senior members of our squad were kept for playing far worse than him.
You seriously don't think there's a reason why those aforementioned players are still getting games, even if it's little and often, at the club, while CBJ has been rejected by two Championship clubs? You think if all were available for transfer they won't be picked up by top flight clubs?

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
You seriously don't think there's a reason why those aforementioned players are still getting games, even if it's little and often, at the club, while CBJ has been rejected by two Championship clubs? You think if all were available for transfer they won't be picked up by top flight clubs?
There is a reason, and it's mostly because Mourinho trusts senior players more. Not saying CBJ is good enough, I have no idea, he probably isn't, but neither are Darmian, Rojo, and yet they got some games in that position.

You are just repeating about his failed loans, it's nothing new that our players are failing on loans. I don't think Lingard had one good loan either, and he is starting fir England at World Cup.

SteveW

Possebon showed some promise up until his big injury, never the same player after that, played with fear, was more reserved, it seemed to completely take away his confidence.
Agreed. In the reserves he looked a cut above. Surgically accurate passing off either foot and very composed. I didn't see enough to tell for sure whether he could have translated it to senior football consistently but I can see why people were excited about him.

Nero

Possebon's injury was nothing more than a bad cut.

ThemanGiggsy

I think Pereira will get minutes this season. He has arguably looked the best in preseason so far, although that isnt saying much.

i would love for TFM and Axel to break into the first team, i just feel like Mourinho wont let it happen due to the pressure to deliver this season, so loans may be the best option, hopefully both to a PL team. Really want to see how Axel does in prem with regular starts.

CBJ, lol.

Last edited by a moderator:

Tom McConnell

I hope we see some of these players make names for themselves it would be great.

Last edited by a moderator:

ivaldo

There is a reason, and it's mostly because Mourinho trusts senior players more. Not saying CBJ is good enough, I have no idea, he probably isn't, but neither are Darmian, Rojo, and yet they got some games in that position.

You are just repeating about his failed loans, it's nothing new that our players are failing on loans. I don't think Lingard had one good loan either, and he is starting fir England at World Cup.
Yes I am repeating it, because it's very, very, relevant. He hasn't failed on these loans, he's failed miserably. 7 games in 2 years should tell you it's not Jose who doesn't rate him.

Acole9

Outstanding
Make or break for Pereira, Fosu Mensah and Tuanzebe both need to go out on loan again. Borthwick Jackson is finished here.

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
CBJ had two badly picked loans by our club. Especially the Leeds one. Im far from convinced how both turned out are any reflection of his actual ability.
Ye I tend to agree with this, although it's not always upto the club to pick a loan deal, obviously depends on what offers come in.

He has had a few injuries and was unlucky at Wolves where one manager bought him in (and played him) before getting sacked and the new guy had different ideas. Last year was a complete write off for him though - he's still contracted to the club for another 2 years but difficult to see where he goes from here

Wazza4Gaffa

According to half of our fanbase CBJ was an English Marcelo who has been slightly unfortunate to not play. The guy is a bang average Man Utd product who is no better than Joe Riley or Reece James. A few decent low crosses a few years ago isn't enough to convince me I am sorry.

James Wilson career has been killed by injuries he’d be lucky to make it in the Championship at this rate.

Timothy Fosu-Mensah seems too aggressive and goes into too many duels where he isnt almost certain to win the ball to be CB quality under Mourinho at this point in his career. He also only played RB just to round out his development similar to Jones and Smalling. If he gets a chance at CDM or on loan at a top flight club at either CDM or CB he should be ready for big minutes at our club.

Axel Tuanzebe also seems 1 year away as he hasnt been tested at the senior level much. If a PL/Bundesliga/Serie A team comes in for him and promises gametime I think it’d do him a world of good. Him and TFM seem to be perfect eventual back ups for the next season replacing Smalling, Jones and Rojo.

Andreas Pereira is proving he is first team worthy nothing more needs to be said apart from he should play at least 25 games this season and get a fair portion of starters minutes.

Vidyoyo

The bad "V"
Possebon didn't break his leg in that game IIRC.

Also CBJ is not big club material but he looked alright in those games he played under LvG, even taking into account his tremendously atypical running style.

NoPace

Tuanzebe seems like the good kind of boring CB and Pereira has enough going forward for him (passing range, 2 good feet and hustle/hunger) that I could see him getting a lot of games for us as a rotation/depth guy with a starting peak and then moving on in his later prime if he wants to start like many fine CMs have done (Fletcher and Butt come to mind).

nameischarles

Pereira looked great out there today. I loved how he quickly he distributed the ball forward and not looking to go sideways, that ball to Sanchez was pinpoint as well. I really hope he can be a key option this season and contributor for Mourinho, just need Mourinho to keep faith in him. If he keeps this up he may keep Fellaini at bay playing in CM and just used sparingly as a late 10min sub.

Founder of IhateMakeleles.org and Gourcufffanboysa
Ye I tend to agree with this, although it's not always upto the club to pick a loan deal, obviously depends on what offers come in.

He has had a few injuries and was unlucky at Wolves where one manager bought him in (and played him) before getting sacked and the new guy had different ideas. Last year was a complete write off for him though - he's still contracted to the club for another 2 years but difficult to see where he goes from here
He needs to re establsh himself. First by really impressing in the under 23s. Then getting a good loan deal either in January or later. At 21 he still has time and places for defence will be up for grabs for the next 4 windows at least. But his work is cut out

extincti fugax hominum

Don't know why some people think Tuanzebe is closer to first team football than the likes of Fosu-Mensah, Pereira etc. Is that because he is from the academy? He never played senior football in his career and wasn't used at Aston Villa in Championship last season. He needs first team football at some club first. A Bundesliga loan would be perfect for him imo as German clubs don't have any problems about giving young & talented guys chances. Tuanzebe needs a loan where he will week in week out. A bit like Christiensen from Chelsea. He had 2 years at Borussia Mönchengladbach where he played nearly all games in Bundesliga (including CL & Europa League too) and improved a lot. Axel needs the same. I think the last 2 years are wasted time for him and to some degree Fosu-Mensah. They needed to play much more than they did in that period.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
It was not a leg break. It was a puncture wound. Terrible tackle though.
It definitely wasn't a broken leg, he played for the reserves 3 weeks later
I wasn't saying it was a leg break (like the video headlines) but that it was more than "just a cut". It was a shocking challenge and IIRC he wasn't the same after that, mentally.

With Shaw he of course already had fitness issues dating back to the Southampton academy but after that Moreno assault he's been a different player + the fitness issues.

The-Mezzala

What do people think is Pereria best position? He has looked good in the Regista role pre season, but played most of his career in the attacking mid or wide roles.

haram

Where is TFM going to play? I asked the same about Pereira but I guess it’s kind of been answered now.

Santos J

Where is TFM going to play? I asked the same about Pereira but I guess it’s kind of been answered now.
Ideally right back while Valencia & Dalot are out but I'd be surprised if it actually happens.

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
looks to me like Jose considers him a CB - with Valencia out it was a perfect opportunity to try him at RB but he didnt so that says a lot

haram

looks to me like Jose considers him a CB - with Valencia out it was a perfect opportunity to try him at RB but he didnt so that says a lot
Assuming Darmian is gone by then I wonder who will start the season at RB then? We could of course just keep him until Lindelof is back and then sell him to a Serie A side.

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
Assuming Darmian is gone by then I wonder who will start the season at RB then? We could of course just keep him until Lindelof is back and then sell him to a Serie A side.
Jose seemed to put out a challenge to Ashley Young to get back from holiday in his presser the other day and didnt mention TFM as a rightback option

Craig Ward

With Jose favouring senior players and the high number of CB's, its hard to see TFM or Tuanzebe getting game time this season.

TFM possibly due to RB shortage, but I suspect Jose will play Young there instead.

Periera is impressing in pre-season, but he did last also. Once Fellaini is back, I'd imagine every opportunity to bring Periera on or start him will be passed up in favour of the big Belgium instead.

Wilson - surprised he is still around, too many injuries. Realistically never going to get a chance here.

I'm surprised we've actually signed a young RB in Dalot, if we just play Valencia/Young as FB's all season all our youngsters will either be loaned or sit around the bench.

Tuanzebe to me looks like he needs a run of games, I'd love to see us play these guys rather than the likes of Smalling/Rojo/Jones. We know what they can do, season after season they let us down. Just blood the youngsters and give them a chance

el3mel

With Jose favouring senior players and the high number of CB's, its hard to see TFM or Tuanzebe getting game time this season.

TFM possibly due to RB shortage, but I suspect Jose will play Young there instead.

Periera is impressing in pre-season, but he did last also. Once Fellaini is back, I'd imagine every opportunity to bring Periera on or start him will be passed up in favour of the big Belgium instead.

Wilson - surprised he is still around, too many injuries. Realistically never going to get a chance here.

I'm surprised we've actually signed a young RB in Dalot, if we just play Valencia/Young as FB's all season all our youngsters will either be loaned or sit around the bench.

Tuanzebe to me looks like he needs a run of games, I'd love to see us play these guys rather than the likes of Smalling/Rojo/Jones. We know what they can do, season after season they let us down. Just blood the youngsters and give them a chance
Disagree. Periera is far better this preseason than the last one.

haram

Yeah, I don’t remember Pereira being that good last pre season.