Backlash after WC rape jokes flood Twitter

Eboue

nasty little twerp with crazy bitter-man opinions
I'm typing this with my Glock 19 two feet from me
Why is it a bad analogy...because it doesn't suit your agenda? Good for you, you find something distasteful....big surprise.

Joking about people hanging themselves is fine, as somebody already mentioned...but likening a bad situation (loosing at football) to a horrible situation (someone being raped) isn't trivialities anything it's over exaggerating the severity of bad feeling.

Again, you're one of those people that will purposely take offense so you can claim on your soapbox, usually forgetting that you yourself purposely offend people all the time.
You have badly missed just about every point there is to miss here. Let's take it one by one.

Why is comparing raped to screwed a bad analogy?

Are there "I got screwed" victims support groups? Is "getting screwed" a crime? Is there even a consistent definition of what "getting screwed" actually means? No, to all of these. Rape on the other hand, gets a yes for all. You have a tendency to make up strawmen like this and use slippery slope arguments.

Is joking about people hanging themselves fine?

That depends on each person. If it is offensive to you, feel free to express your feelings on the matter. I would be happy to consider them. For the record, I didn't joke about people hanging themselves, I used a common idiom.

Do I purposely take offense to things?

No, I don't. I'm not sure how you can claim to know my intentions. Please elaborate.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Trivializing the word rape is different from trivializing the act, or at least it should be for people with mental health, should we stop doing certain jokes because they may affect the perception of mentally unstable people? Probably yes, I mean rape jokes usually aren't good jokes anyway.
Well we don't allow Spastic anymore. 5 years ago it was the norm here.

DOTA

wants Amber Rudd to call him a naughty boy
DOTA I like you a lot and I think you are very earnest in your opinions, which is also endearing.

I do sometimes wonder if you kind of just have the opinions without really seeing all sides though. I think it's more commonplace now that people feel that they have to be such defenders of certain things that they lose objectivity and fairness. When after one go at arguing a point which was by no means unfair you resort to sarcasm, abstraction and ridicule it just comes off as condescension and a close mindedness that is not unlike the end product you wish to avoid so much, if you appreciate the irony, without ever giving the (valid) points a chance.
I'm unsure what you're on about here. I was pointing out to Eboue that he'd just used a metaphor that was obviously going to be compared to the rape ones and implying that I thought this was ridiculous. Was that unclear? If not, I don't really see how you could take issue with that. I would say it comes across as looking to be offended were it not for the fact that could come across rather "no u" given the discussion.

EDIT - I'm far more interested in the bit about you liking me a lot though. I thought you considered me an attention seeking numpty... I should probably stop ignoring you.

Last edited:

Duafc

Village Lemon
Well we don't allow Spastic anymore. 5 years ago it was the norm here.
By and large no, though I did see it in an OP/thread title last week and winced.

a great stride forward imo and rape analogies and jokes should be the same.

so should 'lol' though.

All for exactly the same reason in my book, no more and no less.

The Don

Metrosexual Candy Shagger
Dayman, ahhhahhhahh, fighter of the nightman
You have badly missed just about every point there is to miss here. Let's take it one by one.

Why is comparing raped to screwed a bad analogy?

Are there "I got screwed" victims support groups? Is "getting screwed" a crime? Is there even a consistent definition of what "getting screwed" actually means? No, to all of these. Rape on the other hand, gets a yes for all. You have a tendency to make up strawmen like this and use slippery slope arguments.

Is joking about people hanging themselves fine?

That depends on each person. If it is offensive to you, feel free to express your feelings on the matter. I would be happy to consider them. For the record, I didn't joke about people hanging themselves, I used a common idiom.

Do I purposely take offense to things?

No, I don't. I'm not sure how you can claim to know my intentions. Please elaborate.
Raped and screwed over essentially mean the same thing, as I've already explained. It implies an unwanted sex act. It is literally the same thing. Say you got screwed over is actually implying you got fecked when you didn't want to. That's rape....unless you've changed the rules again.

Saying a football team got raped is also a common idiom and it doesn't offend me, so just suck it up, eh fella? There's a good boy.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
By and large no, though I did see it in an OP/thread title last week and winced.

a great stride forward imo and rape analogies and jokes should be the same.

so should 'lol' though.

All for exactly the same reason in my book, no more and no less.
Yep, i changed the thread title.

Eboue

Raped and screwed over essentially mean the same thing, as I've already explained. It implies an unwanted sex act. It is literally the same thing. Say you got screwed over is actually implying you got fecked when you didn't want to. That's rape....unless you've changed the rules again.

Saying a football team got raped is also a common idiom and it doesn't offend me, so just suck it up, eh fella? There's a good boy.
No, they essentially emphatically do not mean the same thing. I don't know how you could have lived on this planet for more than 18 years and not have realized that.

Right, it doesn't offend you. That's fine. Everyone has their own tolerance levels and in a discussion about what the group's tolerance level should be, as this seems to be turning into, I encourage you to share your perspective on the matter. I would think that you could discuss a serious issue without being so dismissive and condescending though.

The Don

As someone has pointed out earlier, rape is pretty unique in terms of serious crimes/events in that there's a long, long history of it not being taken seriously/excused/ignored.
You can say the same about any crime in certain countries. Rape has always been a dastardly, evil act and has always been abhorred by any decent human being. Anybody who tells you different is lying.

Lothar

I personally don't see the problem with it. My views are subject to change at any time. I never claimed to be morally consistent except to my own ideas about what is acceptable. In fact, I stated several times that there isn't one set of acceptable words that is acceptable to everyone and that each group should come to its own understanding on what is and isn't acceptable. The way groups determine that is through the views of their members. To me, rape is not acceptable but what I said is. To others, it might be reversed. It's fine to discuss views on it but what this thread has scene in just the first few pages is constructing straw men and complaining about censorship and political correctness.
I find that very odd since it implies rape is worse than suicide (and quite a bit worse too). To me someone who would have a moral principle against one would have it against both.

If you're gonna ban rape you might as well ban kill, beat, crush etc. too, since they are all casual metaphors for criminal, and/or horrible acts. Just get it over with, cause that's the road you're heading down. Attempting to control free speech always leads to a line going one way, more and more restrictions. Give it 20 years and we'll all be coming with lawyers when we go out for a cup of coffee.

The Don

No, they essentially emphatically do not mean the same thing. I don't know how you could have lived on this planet for more than 18 years and not have realized that.

Right, it doesn't offend you. That's fine. Everyone has their own tolerance levels and in a discussion about what the group's tolerance level should be, as this seems to be turning into, I encourage you to share your perspective on the matter. I would think that you could discuss a serious issue without being so dismissive and condescending though.
Bollocks. It's exactly the same thing. Screwing means fecking, unwanted fecking is rape. End of story.

Duafc

Village Lemon
I'm unsure what you're on about here. I was pointing out to Eboue that he'd just used a metaphor that was obviously going to be compared to the rape ones and implying that I thought this was ridiculous. Was that unclear? If not, I don't really see how you could take issue with that. I would say it comes across as looking to be offended were it not for the fact that could come across rather "no u" given the discussion.
It read like, lets have a laugh at this philistine fool, eboue, he is so below our enlightened plane of equality.

you stated that you were ridiculing the 'ridiculous' when in reality his wasn't an unfair point, objectively speaking.

I can't quite remember but did you call him darling or love after too? Could be percieved in a poor light too.

Eboue

I find that very odd since it implies rape is worse than suicide (and quite a bit worse too). To me someone who would have a moral principle against one would have it against both.

If you're gonna ban rape you might as well ban kill, beat, crush etc. too, since they are all casual metaphors for criminal, and/or horrible acts. Just get it over with, cause that's the road you're heading down. Attempting to control free speech always leads to a line going one way, more and more restrictions. Give it 20 years and we'll all be coming with lawyers when we go out for a cup of coffee.
Well, here is where we are miscommunicating. I don't think my idiom is actively about suicide. It's about giving people the opportunity to screw up or put their foot in it. If I had explicitly said, "Scolari ought to end it all", that would be much different.

DOTA

It read like, lets have a laugh at this philistine fool, eboue, he is so below our enlightened plane of equality.

you stated that you were ridiculing the 'ridiculous' when in reality his wasn't an unfair point, objectively speaking.

I can't quite remember but did you call him darling or love after too? Could be percieved in a poor light too.
Firstly, don't miss the edit. Crucial information there.

It was ridiculing sentiment that I feared was on its way, more than anything that had gone before and certainly not anyone in particular. I've just woken up, so if you're telling me it looked more aggressive than that, you're probably in a better place to judge than me.

I called someone else (I think) dear, as I do that when people seem oddly combative. If I looked oddly combative, before this, then they probably had a right to be.

The Don

No. It does not. How can you even deny this?

"Screwed over is exactly the same thing as rape". Do you even hear yourself?
OH you absolute miracle tard. The meaning behind it. I know what the phrase is describing, even without Google, what I'm saying is that it comes from an analogy implying that the situation is so bad they've been screwed, which means fecked, which describes a sexual act, a sexual act that is unwanted and there for it is a rape analogy. Do you seriously not understand that? Do you you seriously not know what screwed means?

Eboue

OH you absolute miracle tard. The meaning behind it. I know what the phrase is describing, even without Google, what I'm saying is that it comes from an analogy implying that the situation is so bad they been secrets, which means fecked, which describes a sexual act, a sexual act that is unwanted and there for it is a rape analogy? Do you seriously not understand that? Do you you seriously not know what screwed means?
This is such a massive stretch you are making here that I am amazed you have the nerve to call me names. Please provide some source, any source, that backs up your laughable claim that screwed over literally means raped.

Lothar

Well, here is where we are miscommunicating. I don't think my idiom is actively about suicide. It's about giving people the opportunity to screw up or put their foot in it. If I had explicitly said, "Scolari ought to end it all", that would be much different.
But it is though, objectively. The only reason you don't react to it is because it's so normal and associated with other contexts. But the same exact thing can be said about rape. I certainly don't think my mate has any nefarious tendencies if he tells me "Man, Liverpool got so raped last night". I'll just immediately assume he means they got humiliated on the field, totally dominated. And that's why such words can be effective to articulate something. Their inherent seriousness and connotations makes it easy to convey the meaning of what you are trying to say.

Of course you are free to dislike any particular word you want, but really, where is the reasoning for wanting to prevent others from doing it? It should be pretty obvious people don't do it to be insensitive, it's just a way to communicate.

Reactions: Raoul

Eboue

But it is though, objectively. The only reason you don't react to it is because it's so normal and associated with other contexts. But the same exact thing can be said about rape. I certainly don't think my mate has any nefarious tendencies if he tells me "Man, Liverpool got so raped last night". I'll just immediately assume he means they got humiliated on the field, totally dominated. And that's why such words can be effective to articulate something. Their inherent seriousness and connotations makes it easy to convey the meaning of what you are trying to say.

Of course you are free to dislike any particular word you want, but really, where is the reasoning for wanting to prevent others from doing it? It should be pretty obvious people don't do it to be insensitive, it's just a way to communicate.
The reasoning is that groups of people have preferences of things they find distasteful and don't want to hear. As a member of this group, I feel entitled to share my opinion on what that should be. As are you and even The Don, though I suspect he would rather be rude and bombastic.

DOTA

The reasoning is that groups of people have preferences of things they find distasteful and don't want to hear. As a member of this group, I feel entitled to share my opinion on what that should be. As are you and even The Don, though I suspect he would rather be rude and bombastic.
I would just like to state that the word "bombastic" offends me, as it reminds me of that awful Shaggy song.

Duafc

Village Lemon
Firstly, don't miss the edit. Crucial information there.

It was ridiculing sentiment that I feared was on its way, more than anything that had gone before and certainly not anyone in particular. I've just woken up, so if you're telling me it looked more aggressive than that, you're probably in a better place to judge than me.

I called someone else (I think) dear, as I do that when people seem oddly combative. If I looked oddly combative, before this, then they probably had a right to be.
aw you're so fair when I want you to fight with me!!

I probably interpreted it as worse than it was intended as its a pet peeve of mine that people who believe so firmly that their viewpoint is the more right, more equal stance that they begin to use that moral superiority to beat and tar people who simply don't share as extreme standards. Often I feel it stems from insecurities or predilections that really begin to marr objectivity and good intentions.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
OH you absolute miracle tard. The meaning behind it. I know what the phrase is describing, even without Google, what I'm saying is that it comes from an analogy implying that the situation is so bad they've been screwed, which means fecked, which describes a sexual act, a sexual act that is unwanted and there for it is a rape analogy. Do you seriously not understand that? Do you you seriously not know what screwed means?
Bit of a stretch, surely?

Some profanities are just derivations from other profanities, having little or nothing to do with the original term. Being "fecked" in the sense we're dealing with here isn't a sexually charged term (in either a positive or a negative way) - no more than "screwing up" is one.

The Don

This is such a massive stretch you are making here that I am amazed you have the nerve to call me names. Please provide some source, any source, that backs up your laughable claim that screwed over literally means raped.
Right, last time I'm trying this. Tell me, in plain English all the definitions of the word screwed. I'll help you even, if one of them doesn't describe a sexual act, then you are wrong. To screw someone is to feck them, have sex with them, buck them, ride them, hump them, whatever you want to call it, it means the same thing. The phrase we are discussing comes from a longer phrase "I'd rather be fecked/screwed up the arse, than be in this situation" when someone says they've been screwed over, it's just a polite way of saying fecked over. Saying you been fecked over describes a situation that is bad, that you are likening to being fecked in the ass, as a bad thing. I'm not your mother or father so I'm not going to continue to teach you about the bird and the bees, or bad words anymore. Go back to Google.

Duafc

Village Lemon

Total objective sense.

The Don

Bit of a stretch, surely?

Some profanities are just derivations from other profanities, having little or nothing to do with the original term. Being "fecked" in the sense we're dealing with here isn't a sexually charged term (in either a positive or a negative way) - no more than "screwing up" is one.
No stretch at all, that is literally what the phrase means.

DOTA

aw you're so fair when I want you to fight with me!!

I probably interpreted it as worse than it was intended as its a pet peeve of mine that people who believe so firmly that their viewpoint is the more right, more equal stance that they begin to use that moral superiority to beat and tar people who simply don't share as extreme standards. Often I feel it stems from insecurities or predilections that really begin to marr objectivity and good intentions.
Debates get a bit childish, at times. On the other side you get people all too readily accusing those who are arguing what they see as an issue of morality, of simply looking for ways to make themselves feel superior, rather than actually caring about the issue.

Eboue

Right, last time I'm trying this. Tell me, in plain English all the definitions of the word screwed. I'll help you even, if one of them doesn't describe a sexual act, then you are wrong. To screw someone is to feck them, have sex with them, buck them, ride them, hump them, whatever you want to call it, it means the same thing. The phrase we are discussing comes from a longer phrase "I'd rather be fecked/screwed up the arse, than be in this situation" when someone says they've been screwed over, it's just a polite way of saying fecked over. Saying you been fecked over describes a situation that is bad, that you are likening to being fecked in the ass, as a bad thing. I'm not your mother or father so I'm not going to continue to teach you about the bird and the bees, or bad words anymore. Go back to Google.
That's great and all but you are backtracking wildly now. Let me remind you what you said.

"I got screwed in the bookies yesterday" I mean they both imply the act of unwanted sex, yes, no?
Raped and screwed over essentially mean the same thing
Bollocks. It's exactly the same thing. Screwing means fecking, unwanted fecking is rape. End of story.

The issue was never whether screwed over and fecked over mean the same thing. The issue was whether screwed over and raped mean the same thing.

Duafc

Village Lemon
Why not just set the forum to automatically convert rape to consensually DP'd?
:lol:
Debates get a bit childish, at times. On the other side you get people all too readily accusing those who are arguing what they see as an issue of morality, of simply looking for ways to make themselves feel superior, rather than actually caring about the issue.
Yep, that is totally true.