Backlash after WC rape jokes flood Twitter

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
I've used "nuked", "annihilated ", "sodomized" and "disembowelled" to describe massacres (oh there's another one) on the football pitch. Out of respect to victims of Hiroshima, Samarkand, San Quentin, Vlad the Impaler and Jonestown, I shall stop using these metaphors.

DOTA

wants Amber Rudd to call him a naughty boy
I've used "nuked", "annihilated ", "sodomized" and "disembowelled" to describe massacres (oh there's another one) on the football pitch. Out of respect to victims of Hiroshima, Samarkand, San Quentin, Vlad the Impaler and Jonestown, I shall stop using these metaphors.
I doubt the victims or friends and family of victims of such will care but at least you will sound like less of a pillock.

Nash27

Seriously? what the heck. People these days complain about anything and everything.

Scarlett Dracarys

( . Y . )
My cousin tried to rape me when I was 13. It's not funny at all it's terrifying. I should specify the actual act is terrifying not the word.

Last edited:

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down
Rape is horrible. Baby deaths are horrible. Murders are horrible. People with down syndrome are lovely human beings. Joking about them isn't. You are allowed to joke about everything. Humor is the best way to deal with awful circumstances. Some people might not think so and that's fine.

Associating rape with something that's strictly against women is totally wrong.

DOTA

It's nice to have these threads now and then to know who the loons. Gives them enough rope to hang themselves.
You can't say that anymore in case it offends Latvian fishmongers. My aunty had a man from her road got sent to prison for ten years, just for eating a bacon sandwich in front of a veterinarian. It's political correctness gone mad, Eboue.

The Don

Metrosexual Candy Shagger
Dayman, ahhhahhhahh, fighter of the nightman
Do we have to stop saying f_ucked or screwed? Like "I got f_ucked over by the tax man" or "I got screwed in the bookies yesterday" I mean they both imply the act of unwanted sex, yes, no?

The simple fact is that too many people purposely find too many reasons to get upset and take the moral high ground. They bang on about trivialising this and that, when really, that isn't whats happening at all. Language and the different uses of it is a very complex thing. Simply saying brazil got raped by germany hasn't caused anyone to get raped or offended anyone that didn't want to be offended. How long before there is a massive list of words phrases we cant use because of people's need to have something to be offended at? I wonder what is wrong in these people's lives that they have to nitpick at anything even remotely offensive?

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Do we have to stop saying f_ucked or screwed? Like "I got f_ucked over by the tax man" or "I got screwed in the bookies yesterday" I mean they both imply the act of unwanted sex, yes, no?

The simple fact is that too many people purposely find too many reasons to get upset and take the moral high ground. They bang on about trivialising this and that, when really, that isn't whats happening at all. Language and the different uses of it is a very complex thing. Simply saying brazil got raped by germany hasn't caused anyone to get raped or offended anyone that didn't want to be offended. How long before there is a massive list of words phrases we cant use because of people's need to have something to be offended at? I wonder what is wrong in these people's lives that they have to nitpick at anything even remotely offensive?
Doesn't society already do this with race, gender, sexual orientation etc ?

adexkola

Supports
I doubt the victims or friends and family of victims of such will care but at least you will sound like less of a pillock.
Like I give a feck. Seriously, get an actual fecking grip of reality (not you specifically, but people in general). There is no link between the use of rape as a metaphor, and rape statistics... The thought is absurd. Rape is horrible, and I feel for the victims, but that is no excuse for being so precious about insignificant language. Put all that energy into something important, like educating people on rape. Oh no... That would require people to stop their internet activism/faux outrage.

But Raoul seems to be implying using such metaphors are against the rules, and this a private forum, so I have no problem following rules.

Duafc

Village Lemon
It's a totally valid level of abstraction though - who is drawing and lines and on whose sensibilities are they based?

As some chap said - it's just a crass, poorly formed and classless metaphor but nothing more. It exposes the person as a bit ignorant and often immature but again nothing more.

I would guarantee we've all said it in similar context, at the least something comparable... I just think getting on the high horse and condemning those as bigots or racists is equally narrow minded in the totally opposite way.

Infractions when its in poor taste (surely always) but really... I think we should infract lol usage and I don't draw that much of a distinction.

I'm aware of how odd that sounds but I hope you understand... I also don't and never did think Luis Suarez is a racist more a negatively competitive idiot.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Like I give a feck. Seriously, get an actual fecking grip of reality (not you specifically, but people in general). There is no link between the use of rape as a metaphor, and rape statistics... The thought is absurd. Rape is horrible, and I feel for the victims, but that is no excuse for being so precious about insignificant language. Put all that energy into something important, like educating people on rape. Oh no... That would require people to stop their internet activism/faux outrage.

But Raoul seems to be implying using such metaphors are against the rules, and this a private forum, so I have no problem following rules.
I don't recall anyone advancing the argument that it has any effect on rape stats. But there is a decent argument that its flagrant use may desensitize people (particularly the core demographic of young males who commit rapes) to the act itself.

Eboue

nasty little twerp with crazy bitter-man opinions
I'm typing this with my Glock 19 two feet from me
It's a totally valid level of abstraction though - who is drawing and lines and on whose sensibilities are they based?
Any community and the people who run it. It's up to the people who are part of the group and the leaders in that group to decide what is acceptable and what isn't. There will always be people who think the line is too far to one side but there is nothing wrong with having a line.

Eboue

Rape is horrible. Baby deaths are horrible. Murders are horrible. People with down syndrome are lovely human beings. Joking about them isn't. You are allowed to joke about everything. Humor is the best way to deal with awful circumstances. Some people might not think so and that's fine.

You aren't. This is a private forum.

Eboue

That's a very bad analogy. I don't know if it is offensive to me but I find it incredibly distasteful for people to say rape about things that aren't actually rape.

Duafc

Village Lemon
I don't recall anyone advancing the argument that it has any effect on rape stats. But there is a decent argument that its flagrant use may desensitize people (particularly the core demographic of young males who commit rapes) to the act itself.
Definitely a fair point though dunno if there would be any provable correlation.

As a counter point I would argue that the generation who coined gay as a synonym for crap is the same generation that is much more forward thinking, by and large, with all things lgbt and this coinage is more indicative of their ambivalence to said lifestyle choices than a desensitization that breeds oppression.

Sweeping generalisations and there are of course im sure many individual exceptions but I don't think it's an unfair or crazy statement.

Eboue

The point isn't that one set of unacceptable words is objectively correct or if there are inconsistencies. The point is that any group of people who interact socially form acceptable ways of acting, whether they are clearly delineated or not. Most people have been in a situation where someone says something they thought was acceptable only to have an awkward silence and they realize it isn't in that context. History lessons and grammar rules aren't relevant. It's not a free speech issue, it is a "people in this social setting will not like it if you say these words" kind of thing. For whatever reason, annihilated doesn't carry the same connotations are raped does. That's all there is to it.

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22

:lol: This bit made me laugh for some reason.

Stack

Leave Women's Football Alone!!!
You can't say that anymore in case it offends Latvian fishmongers. My aunty had a man from her road got sent to prison for ten years, just for eating a bacon sandwich in front of a veterinarian. It's political correctness gone mad, Eboue.
The moment you have to exagerate to the extreme your point loses its validity. There is quite a massive difference about rape jokes and political correctness gone mad.

Eboue

Suicide is fine though, I see.
Is it? It's a common idiom, similar to say, hoist by his own petard. There are no objective answers on what is acceptable or not. If the members of redcafe thought it was an offensive idiom or the staff made a rule against it, I would stop using that idiom. I certainly wouldn't act as hysterical as some of the people in this thread.

adexkola

Supports
If we're going off that, then why stop at banning words that may desensitize young males? I can have sex with a hooker in GTA and pop a few slugs into her when I'm done. Music? Eminem? Nuff said. Movies? Television? Attempts to censor and ban such media is met with scorn and derision.

If young adults are getting desensitized to the severity of rape due to a few tweets, there is something wrong with them, their parents, the system that produced them... Not the tweets.

DOTA

The moment you have to exagerate to the extreme your point loses its validity. There is quite a massive difference about rape jokes and political correctness gone mad.
It was a joke, my dear. Exaggerated ridiculously, for the point of ridiculing something ridiculous.

adexkola

Supports
The point isn't that one set of unacceptable words is objectively correct or if there are inconsistencies. The point is that any group of people who interact socially form acceptable ways of acting, whether they are clearly delineated or not. Most people have been in a situation where someone says something they thought was acceptable only to have an awkward silence and they realize it isn't in that context. History lessons and grammar rules aren't relevant. It's not a free speech issue, it is a "people in this social setting will not like it if you say these words" kind of thing. For whatever reason, annihilated doesn't carry the same connotations are raped does. That's all there is to it.
I won't use it here anymore, seeing it is against the rules. I don't agree with it, but whatever I guess.

Raoul

Admin
Staff

In most societies, well at least western ones, joking about people's race, ethnicity, gender, sexual orientation etc are generally off limits. There are social norms that when violated cause a given society to reject such "jokes".

Eboue

If we're going off that, then why stop at banning words that may desensitize young males? I can have sex with a hooker in GTA and pop a few slugs into her when I'm done. Music? Eminem? Nuff said. Movies? Television? Attempts to censor and ban such media is met with scorn and derision.

If young adults are getting desensitized to the severity of rape due to a few tweets, there is something wrong with them, their parents, the system that produced them... Not the tweets.
I think if people were trivializing the murder of prostitutes you would find a similar reaction. Anti-censorship crusaders should focus their efforts on government actions, not on private forums where people have every right to set standards.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
I agree that you can, in the right context, make a joke about anything - including the holocaust, rape and eating newborns for breakfast.

But using rape as a metaphor for beating someone in a game of football isn't a joke. It's just a crude, puerile and provokingly stupid use of language. In my opinion.

Raoul

Admin
Staff

I reckon it has to do with various societal groups who organize and politically mobilize to reclaim the meaning of terms they historically associated with discrimination against them.

Duafc

Village Lemon
Any community and the people who run it. It's up to the people who are part of the group and the leaders in that group to decide what is acceptable and what isn't. There will always be people who think the line is too far to one side but there is nothing wrong with having a line.
Which is proper, self governance by general standards.

said community should still be able to recognise that people may have different standards and that can make them seem crass and foolish - but, importantly, not necessarily racist or biggoted due to choice of language alone particularly in regards to humour. Which is what my post was actually all about eboue.

Alot of people love Frankie Boyle and his jokes are beyond the pale... Personally it's not to my taste as I find it a bit cheap and easy to shock people, I never ever think of him or his fans as endorsers, proponents or enablers of any of his choice topics on any level, idiots maybe but just that.

Feeky Magee

keen violinist
Maybe if you weren't such a try-hard bellend at describing football games you wouldn't run into problems

Reactions: KM

Lothar

Is it? It's a common idiom, similar to say, hoist by his own petard. There are no objective answers on what is acceptable or not. If the members of redcafe thought it was an offensive idiom or the staff made a rule against it, I would stop using that idiom. I certainly wouldn't act as hysterical as some of the people in this thread.
Well, you just used it very casually, so I assume it is to you. And I don't find that morally consistent. If you're doing it just to follow some rule to avoid punishment there isn't really any honorable intent in it, is it? Rape is a common idiom as well, which the OP in this thread confirms.

Eboue

Well, you just used it very casually, so I assume it is to you. And I don't find that morally consistent. If you're doing it just to follow some rule to avoid punishment there isn't really any honorable intent in it, is it? Rape is a common idiom as well, which the OP in this thread confirms.
I personally don't see the problem with it. My views are subject to change at any time. I never claimed to be morally consistent except to my own ideas about what is acceptable. In fact, I stated several times that there isn't one set of acceptable words that is acceptable to everyone and that each group should come to its own understanding on what is and isn't acceptable. The way groups determine that is through the views of their members. To me, rape is not acceptable but what I said is. To others, it might be reversed. It's fine to discuss views on it but what this thread has scene in just the first few pages is constructing straw men and complaining about censorship and political correctness.

DOTA

People do have a tendency to confuse the right to free speech with the right to appear callous/ignorant without being called out on it.

The Don

Metrosexual Candy Shagger
Dayman, ahhhahhhahh, fighter of the nightman
That's a very bad analogy. I don't know if it is offensive to me but I find it incredibly distasteful for people to say rape about things that aren't actually rape.
Why is it a bad analogy...because it doesn't suit your agenda? Good for you, you find something distasteful....big surprise.

Joking about people hanging themselves is fine, as somebody already mentioned...but likening a bad situation (loosing at football) to a horrible situation (someone being raped) isn't trivialising anything, it's over exaggerating the severity of bad feeling.

Again, you're one of those people that will purposely take offense so you can climb on your soapbox, usually forgetting that you yourself purposely offend people all the time.

Duafc

Village Lemon
It was a joke, my dear. Exaggerated ridiculously, for the point of ridiculing something ridiculous.
DOTA I like you a lot and I think you are very earnest in your opinions, which is also endearing.

I do sometimes wonder if you kind of just have the opinions without really seeing all sides though. I think it's more commonplace now that people feel that they have to be such defenders of certain things that they lose objectivity and fairness. When after one go at arguing a point which was by no means unfair you resort to sarcasm, abstraction and ridicule it just comes off as condescension and a close mindedness that is not unlike the end product you wish to avoid so much, if you appreciate the irony, without ever giving the (valid) points a chance.

Lens

Trivializing rape ? Actually yes they are, which is why we don't allow it here.
Trivializing the word rape is different from trivializing the act, or at least it should be for people with mental health, should we stop doing certain jokes because they may affect the perception of mentally unstable people? Probably yes, I mean rape jokes usually aren't good jokes anyway.

Feeky Magee

keen violinist
Why is it a bad analogy...because it doesn't suit your agenda? Good for you, you find something distasteful....big surprise.

Joking about people hanging themselves is fine, as somebody already mentioned...but likening a bad situation (loosing at football) to a horrible situation (someone being raped) isn't trivialising anything, it's over exaggerating the severity of bad feeling.

Again, you're one of those people that will purposely take offense so you can climb on your soapbox, usually forgetting that you yourself purposely offend people all the time.
As someone has pointed out earlier, rape is pretty unique in terms of serious crimes/events in that there's a long, long history of it not being taken seriously/excused/ignored.