Bad Berba's Back

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brophs

The One and Only
One bad game = historical revision = lots of bad games.

Great stuff, lads. Keep up the good work.

Zen86

He does tend to take a back seat when someone else is in the limelight. Yesterday's performance aside, he's played well but since the quick emergence of Hernandez he hasn't been scoring as much as earlier this season. Whether it's a confidence thing or he's happy to sit back and let someone do the scoring I don't know.

Commadus

Berbatov is completely selfless on the field, never going for glory when a better option is available, unfortunately the rest of the team doesn't seem to share his ethos. Park was guilty on at least two occasions of going for a difficult shot when Berbatov was wide open in the middle of the box waving his hands frantically, the service to him is pathetic and people complain when his scoring record is 1 in 2.
The same can be said of Berba when he holds up play and then tries to dribble and gets caught.

Each player makes mistakes.

Berba has played better this season and yesterday he was pants - big deal.

Dyslexic Untied

Another thing I noticed yesterday was that Berbatov got into a few pretty decent positions when we were attacking, but Nani in particular made a few wrong choices and didn't play him through.

esmufc07

Brad
Scout
Not scored since the Liverpool game which is a bit concerning, but his overall play has still been very good and he's played an important part in some of our goals.

Yesterday was his worst game for a while, you expect dips in form throughout the course of the season. I expect the same usual revisionist nonsense however.

Commadus

I think Berba had a pants game yesterday because he was playing too far forward. He should have been playing like VdV.

So checking average position on soccernet

Features: Manchester United v Tottenham Hotspur - English Premier League - ESPN Soccernet

What do I see? That Berba in fact played in front of Hernandez which is really not his best position. Berba is more than just a hold up and knockdown merchant ala Kevin Davies but thats how he was deployed against Tottenham with Hernandez running off him.

Adzzz

Astrophysical Genius - Hard for Grinner
Staff
I must say it does annoy me somewhat when he berates the likes of Nani of Hernandez, I think if you watch closely at times it seems Nani is reluctant to really set up Berbatov up unless it's absolutely obvious or he feels he can't release a shot.

TheMancRedDevil

I must say it does annoy me somewhat when he berates the likes of Nani of Hernandez, I think if you watch closely at times it seems Nani is reluctant to really set up Berbatov up unless it's absolutely obvious or he feels he can't release a shot.
I noticed a lot of the opposite in previous seasons - Berba not giving the ball to Nani unless absolutely no other option open to him.

Dunno if there's anything in this but if there is, they need their heads knocking together.

Boss

Melodramatic, attention seeking space-attacker
I left you with enough memories to resurrect me wi
they don't really seem to get on but they are both fantastic together, so grow up Nanitov!

continue to make beautiful football together

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
Berba is always going to be judged on his goals, luckily because of his early influx of goals the media haven't been getting on his back yet... although the hasn't scored in 6 games has came up at least a few times by the commentators in recent games.

Fingers crossed he can notch one against Wolves next weekend

Ekeke

Was also mentioned during the champions league matches that Berbatov hasnt scored in europe (well, cl) for 2 years. Would be nice if he sorted that

Allforone

United could spend £85million on David De Gea, Phi
Not hard to understand why, we've religiously adopted the 4-5-1 in Europe for years now, Rooney and before him Ronaldo were for obvious reasons preferred to do the lone front man job.

would be interesting to know how many champions league games Berbatovs started since he last scored.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
Reckon he will score a hattrick vs shitty and so his legend new found legend status will be further enshrined. With Rooney having such a stop and start season this year, its between Nani and Berbatov as to who our player of the season will be. Personally I hope its a tie as that will have meant that we will be champions come May .... Im convinced that if Nani and Berbatov can deliver consistency, we have more then enough quality to be champions.

Laphroaig

Reckon he will score a hattrick vs shitty and so his legend new found legend status will be further enshrined. With Rooney having such a stop and start season this year, its between Nani and Berbatov as to who our player of the season will be. Personally I hope its a tie as that will have meant that we will be champions come May .... Im convinced that if Nani and Berbatov can deliver consistency, we have more then enough quality to be champions.
:confused:

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
he played a few games to start with and then got himself mixed up with the ankle injury, hooker nonsense and new contract negotiations ..... actually, you're right in a sense, his season has not properly even started! Lazy fecker.

Boss

Melodramatic, attention seeking space-attacker
I left you with enough memories to resurrect me wi
you think Berba is a legend and not Becks?

Shimo

Twice against Spurs he was wide open and Fletch/Park didn't spot him.

Park when he worked his way for the left foot curler - a little side football to Berba and he had a clean shot on goal.

Fletcher - when he had his shot saved - Berba was wide open to his right closer to goal but, failed to see him.

As mentioned he also wasn't spotted by Nani a couple times for whatever reason but, he was far from shit IMO. Also, disagree that he has been slowing us down. He's made some great breaks from our own box to the opponents. Been driving us forward. Yes, he does take his time sometime with the ball but, I haven't really spotted that many a time if any that he's stopped us from breaking forward this season.

Surprised it took this long for the post to come up - figured soon as he hit a dry spell it would. His overall play has been very good and frankly feel some of his frustration when teammates aren't getting things right or making the wrong choices.

Name Changed

weso26
He has been doing ok, he just hasn't been scoring. I thought he was poor against Spurs, very poor in fact, but that is the first real bad game he has had this season in my opinion. No need to panic.

Hectic

Supports
30fps
One bad game = historical revision = lots of bad games.

Great stuff, lads. Keep up the good work.
It's ridiculous isn't it. One...Bad...Game...

Can't wait for the 'Back on form' thread to start tonight.

Mitch Conor

Holy CRAP BALLS!!

don't think we will see it.

Have a feeling it could be 451, and Berbs never performs to his best in a 451 imo, as he gets too isolated.

Galactic

Incorrigible pest
I thought it was very harsh to sub him off so early yesterday.

I can barely recall him having any chances to score since the Liverpool game that he didn't create for himself, there was one sitter vs WBA though. Decent against Valencia, Sunderland, Stoke & WBA without scoring.
Fergie was more concerned about not conceding than scoring I think. It was either Berba or Hernandez. And I guess Hernandez speed made Fergie took Berba off. Hernandez can run around, keeping their defenders busy. Berba will drop deep and that will invite opponents to attact with more numbers.

It was just tactical. In my opinion. It didnt backfire, so I think it was a wise move by Fergie.

mariachi-19

I may be the devil, but i'm not a monster
Can you blame him 'nani' though? Berbatov is yet to earn the right to throw his hands up in the air and act like a git. Especially when he was doing it last year when he was absolute dog shite.

esmufc07

Brad
Scout
Can you blame him 'nani' though? Berbatov is yet to earn the right to throw his hands up in the air and act like a git. Especially when he was doing it last year when he was absolute dog shite.
Berbatov's performances this season have been very similar to his level at the beginning of last season. Difference is this year he's added goals.

Stop making things up.

Cling Bak

Hi, I'm Barry Scott
Goals really do count for everything where criticism, or lack of, goes...

Playing well and finding the net seemed to make every journo going say he was now justifying his price tag, finally doing well etc. He continues to play well but doesn't score and it's all about stats. "He hasn't scored for six games...". A similar thing happened in his first season and last - he had terrific spells around Xmas-New year 08/09 and around Jan-Feb 2010, but he wasn't scoring as many as Rooney so was still criticised.

I know goals are the aim of the game, but it didn't make Gerd Muller a better footballer than Diego Maradona.

Like most, I agree he wasn't very good against Spurs, but so what? His service was non-existent and Hernandez wasn't any better, it's one game and few played well. He's been really sharp this season.

It seems obligatory to say he was good against Stoke too, so I'll also say this.

mariachi-19

Berbatov's performances this season have been very similar to his level at the beginning of last season. Difference is this year he's added goals.

Stop making things up.
Making things up? :lol::lol: because Berbatov wasn't diabolically shit in the last two months of last season where he was brandishing his arms around looking like a massive tit because things weren't working for him.... He constantly berated the players around him to the point where they couldn't give two fecks about him. He's turned his form around but he has to go a long way before he can start criticizing the players around him.

MUFCgal

I'm not panicking just yet, I think he's been great this season (apart from one bad performance against Spurs).

Even when not scoring, he's still been very good in most matches. I've no concerns at all that he will get his biggest goal tally since he's joined us. He'll probably be in double figures before the end of the year, he only needs 3 more goals to get into doubles.

mariachi-19

I'm not panicking just yet, I think he's been great this season (apart from one bad performance against Spurs).

Even when not scoring, he's still been very good in most matches. I've no concerns at all that he will get his biggest goal tally since he's joined us. He'll probably be in double figures before the end of the year, he only needs 3 more goals to get into doubles.
This topic is stupid. He's has one average game this season. If he becomes consistently bad then we have a problem, but its not anything really to worry about at the moment.

Carl

has permanently erect nipples

What sort of thread title is that?

Alliteration Hectic, alliteration.

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
Surely we have better things to do then to return to a spot of Berba-bashing. His goals have dried up a tad, but we're still very good going forwards and he has a big part to play in that.

Red Norse

Another thing I noticed yesterday was that Berbatov got into a few pretty decent positions when we were attacking, but Nani in particular made a few wrong choices and didn't play him through.
Yeah, and the game against Spurs isn't rare in that respect. He's obviously brimming with self confidence and as a consequence sometimes tries to do too much when he has the ball. He has a lot of learning to do when it comes to decision making, but this is really nit picking considering how vital he's been to the offensive play so far.

What he really needs to concentrate on though is stop being such a pussy, his constant diving is annoying as hell. I've never seen a player with such a sensitive ass.

Status
Not open for further replies.