Film Bad endings which ruined good movies

Wing Attack Plan R

feck me I don't want to think of The Matrix if that knob was the lead. He would probably get his talentless son to play Morpheus or something daft like that.

Just imagine the dialogue:

"Ayo Morphs! Just give it to me straight, can Zion be saved y'all?" - yuck
“Day-amn! Now that’s what I call a collect phone call, aight!”

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
feck me I don't want to think of The Matrix if that knob was the lead. He would probably get his talentless son to play Morpheus or something daft like that.

Just imagine the dialogue:

"Ayo Morphs! Just give it to me straight, can Zion be saved y'all?" - yuck
"Hey, Niobe! Wanna shag?"

"Ew, no. But you can sit in that cupboard and tug yourself off whilst I shag all of the agents."

"Sniff, ok Jada - I mean Niobe. I love you."

Iker Quesadillas

Supports
Real Madrid
I did not like the ending of Incendies. Too unlikely for me, in a movie that had played in a mostly gritty, realistic way.

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
Bone Tomahawk was great up until the point where the thing happens. The thing still gives me nightmares.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
I didn’t watch all of it (left the sitting room after like the first 5 mins) but whatever that newish movie is called on Netflix with Julia Roberts…my mum was ranting to me about how much of an anti-climax the ending was. It legit ruined her day I’m not even joking :lol: I told her not to spoil it cos I still plan to finish it and she told me not to even bother.
Literally just finished watching it. I loved the ending.

Annihilate Now!

Scout
Gangs of New York - passed the natural point at which the film seemed to be building towards for a resolution, lost all momentum and petered out quite feebly after three quarters of a very good film.

Bad Times at the El Royale - shifted totally to something far less intriguing and entertaining with Chris Hemsworth's introduction.

Sunshine - weird shift to a horror with a monster villain in it's last third. Baffling.

The Wolverine - I think James Mangold basically had another go at making this film with Logan, after the studio forced him to include a fight with a big ninja robot baddie which is sooo out of place with the rest of the film. Ruined it.
It's not a weird shift, it's seeded in the first 5 minutes of the movie and then every action that happens moves the film towards the ending. I get it when people say that don't like the ending, but it definitely doesn't come out of nowhere.

Gringo

Supports
Portugal
When you watch Sunshine two or three times it isn't as jarring and starts to make sense. I started to like the ending.

Minority Report is one that gets some slack for a disappointing ending, not that I can remember it though :lol:

Unam333

As a standalone movie the ending of the Matrix (Neo flying off) would be pretty badass, but in my opinion the introduction of that flying ability actually limits the writers' creativity for the sequels.

I like the sequels, but I sometimes wonder if the sequels could have been better with Neo, Morpheus and Trinity just running in the Matrix world, interacting with the Matrix crowd and escaping by foot from agents instead of Neo just taking off and fly away from danger.

It's like Super Mario Bros (world 1-2) jumping on top of the highest blocks and run towards the end of the level, avoiding all the obstacles and enemies.

Beans

Supports
Neutral
The dead men serve more of a story purpose than merely winning the battle. First, Aragorn taking the path beneath the mountain is about accepting his lineage and a major step in becoming who he is supposed to become. Second, since everyone thought Isildurs line was broken, and only Isildurs heir could command them, they also serve as proof to the people of Gondor that Aragorn is the rightful king. The last part is not really explained in the movies though.

Also, it isn't even close to being the ending of the movie. It's more like the middle.
Whether it’s the end isn’t what I’m arguing, just the merits of the choice to add ghosts by Tolkien.

As I recall the other Rangers come and one has a line from Elrond saying something like, “look to the paths of the dead” but there was no other mention of this reserve of ghost soldiers before. I don’t recall this idea that the ghosts of those who betrayed Gondor will redeem themselves coming into the first two books.

It’s certainly important that he declares himself the heir, but it could have been done with any group of creatures.

It certainly helps establish he’s the heir, but he does that by healing people, and other ways as well, so you don’t need it.

Again I’m not saying it’s bad, myths look very different that’s what expect from a modern story.

Beans

Supports
Neutral
The Hurt Locker ends poorly, with them going after the missing kid, suddenly it’s Call of Duty time, seems detached from the rest.

Mike Smalling

Whether it’s the end isn’t what I’m arguing, just the merits of the choice to add ghosts by Tolkien.

As I recall the other Rangers come and one has a line from Elrond saying something like, “look to the paths of the dead” but there was no other mention of this reserve of ghost soldiers before. I don’t recall this idea that the ghosts of those who betrayed Gondor will redeem themselves coming into the first two books.

It’s certainly important that he declares himself the heir, but it could have been done with any group of creatures.

It certainly helps establish he’s the heir, but he does that by healing people, and other ways as well, so you don’t need it.

Again I’m not saying it’s bad, myths look very different that’s what expect from a modern story.
But if we are talking the books, they are at lot less significant in terms of winning the battle than in the movie, where they admittedly appear a bit overpowered. But you are probably right that they are not foreshadowed or mentioned in the first two books (it's been years since I've read them, to be fair).

sherrinford

It's not a weird shift, it's seeded in the first 5 minutes of the movie and then every action that happens moves the film towards the ending. I get it when people say that don't like the ending, but it definitely doesn't come out of nowhere.
Of course it's a weird shift that comes out of nowhere - the slasher film that ensues after Mark Strong's introduction is nothing like what came before.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
Pulp Fiction. Vincent Vega was dead remember when Butch shot him on the toilet yet here he is in the final scene like he recovered miraculously. Stupid.
Reminds me of one of my mates in 7th grade who kept insisting he had seen Jean Claude van Damme's movie as he died at the end.

Dumb cnut.

Him, not Van Damme. He's a fecking legend.

Mike Smalling

The Hurt Locker ends poorly, with them going after the missing kid, suddenly it’s Call of Duty time, seems detached from the rest.
Agree, The Hurt Locker can be a bit all over the place in terms of what the soldiers are actually doing. Like when the three man IED clearing unit suddenly find themselves in the middle of nowhere engaged in a sniper battle (and one of them luckily being an expert sniper, no less).

Wing Attack Plan R

No Time To Die. If you don’t like James Bond, then don’t make a James Bond movie. Seeing the writer and director deconstruct Bond was not enjoyable, made it one of the worst Bond movies. They should have been arrested for this ending.

The Corinthian

I will not take Mad Winger's name in vain
Supports
A Free Palestine
I actually think it fits with the narrative of the film and helps ground it in reality. Life isn’t a movie and, sometimes, the showdown never happens. He condemned himself the moment he took the money.

His wife ends up having the showdown in what is the most impactful moment in the whole film for me. Her death and the ending monologue are really powerful and give me chills every time I go back and watch it.
Agree with this, and the other thing we're meant to realise (most likely at this scene) - Josh Brolin's character isn't the protagonist. It's Tommy Lee Jones. He has the opening monologue, and the closing monologue. And it's the series of events, and the effects it has on him that we're meant to 'take home' as it were, even if we're all rooting for Llewelyn Moss deep down.

Hound Dog

Supports
Whoever I bet on
Titanic.

So, a 100 year old lady on her deathbed spends her last moments thinking about a guy she fecked on a boat 80 years ago and gives no thought to her family.

Sucks to be her husband. Or children. Or grandchildren.

Hound Dog

Supports
Whoever I bet on
No Time To Die. If you don’t like James Bond, then don’t make a James Bond movie. Seeing the writer and director deconstruct Bond was not enjoyable, made it one of the worst Bond movies. They should have been arrested for this ending.
Sounds pretty similar to what they did with The Last Jedi.

Beans

Supports
Neutral
Agree, The Hurt Locker can be a bit all over the place in terms of what the soldiers are actually doing. Like when the three man IED clearing unit suddenly find themselves in the middle of nowhere engaged in a sniper battle (and one of them luckily being an expert sniper, no less).
Good point, that scene was more fun with Ralph Fiennes acting like a goof ball so I didn't notice so much.

"Spit & Rub!"

Beans

Supports
Neutral
But if we are talking the books, they are at lot less significant in terms of winning the battle than in the movie, where they admittedly appear a bit overpowered. But you are probably right that they are not foreshadowed or mentioned in the first two books (it's been years since I've read them, to be fair).
Yes, if they weren't so over-powered it would be less in jarring.

As a big fan of the books I was just so happy the didn't cut the ghosts I didn't care.

And far be it from me to criticize the master, more observations on it as a film, which the man himself said wouldn't work.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
When you watch Sunshine two or three times it isn't as jarring and starts to make sense. I started to like the ending.
A) why would anyone watch it 3 times? Once was bad enough.
B) Stockholm Syndrome?

Rooney in Paris

Gerrard shirt..Anfield? You'll Never Live it Down
Scout

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
@Sweet Square

Thematically it makes a lot of sense

It's a great film. Probably one of Boyle's best.
Half of it was. I like Boyle but the second half was a totally different and crap horror film. I made the comment as I also didn't realise anyone liked, as it is so widely known as a film that started well but then went hugely off the rails.

Beans

Supports
Neutral
Half of it was. I like Boyle but the second half was a totally different and crap horror film. I made the comment as I also didn't realise anyone liked, as it is so widely known as a film that started well but then went hugely off the rails.
Good call, I like to watch Sunshine but I never finish it.

Unam333

Sunshine is one of my favorite movies.
I have no problem with the second half of the movie, I understand why Boyle shot this way, transforming the human enemy into a flamelike sun deity and it fits the thematic narrative. However, the scenes were difficult to perceive and quite fuzzy.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
Sunshine is one of my favorite movies.
I have no problem with the second half of the movie, I understand why Boyle shot this way, transforming the human enemy into a flamelike sun deity and it fits the thematic narrative. However, the scenes were difficult to perceive and quite fuzzy.
It was the slasher horror thing that truly grated imo.

IMO (again) it was a real shame as the first half was hugely promising.

Mike Smalling

Good point, that scene was more fun with Ralph Fiennes acting like a goof ball so I didn't notice so much.

"Spit & Rub!"
That movie definitely won it's awards for the acting, the character study aspect, cinematography, etc. - not the plot. When it comes to movie endings though, I did like the very last few minutes, where he basically realizes he needs the thrill of war and goes on another one year tour. Great moment.

Unam333

It was the slasher horror thing that truly grated imo.

IMO (again) it was a real shame as the first half was hugely promising.
The best part was the first half. I have to agree.

First part: 9
Second part: 7.5

Scandi Red

Hates Music.
Because Will Smith demanded it. He was afraid the other ending made him look weak, that audiences wanted him to be a bad ass. I read an article about it a long time ago, I’ll look for it.
Classic Will Smith. I think he also turned down playing Django because he felt that Schultz was the real protagonist.

Herman Toothrot

Because Will Smith demanded it. He was afraid the other ending made him look weak, that audiences wanted him to be a bad ass. I read an article about it a long time ago, I’ll look for it.
The alternative ending was obviously better, but that entire film is a complete mess and bears almost zero resemblance to the brilliant book on which it is based.

Rooney in Paris

Gerrard shirt..Anfield? You'll Never Live it Down
Scout
I mean, it's not half, the slasher part is about 20/25mn. I've really never understood the criticism of it in fact, it really makes total sense in the context of the overall theme of science vs nature that he and Garland were going for. It's a little jarring at first, but it's absolutely fine and doesn't affect the movie.

Annihilate Now!

Scout
Of course it's a weird shift that comes out of nowhere - the slasher film that ensues after Mark Strong's introduction is nothing like what came before.
Nah, Mark Strongs character is introduced within the first 5 minutes of the film, and his crew are constantly referenced throughout (in terms of what happened to them). The actions that set the crew off on going to find their ship happen straight away. The whole point of the film is basically God vs. Science/ Emotion vs. Logic and how staring at the Sun can drive you a bit loopy (something which has already started happening to one of the crew). Mark Strong's character by the end is basically just the human reprisentation of God - trying to stop Science from interfering in his work

A) why would anyone watch it 3 times? Once was bad enough.
B) Stockholm Syndrome?
I must have watched it at least 5 or 6 times. I think it's a brilliant film (obviously).

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
I mean, it's not half, the slasher part is about 20/25mn. I've really never understood the criticism of it in fact, it really makes total sense in the context of the overall theme of science vs nature that he and Garland were going for. It's a little jarring at first, but it's absolutely fine and doesn't affect the movie.
It turns a sci-fi film with potential into a brainless slasher film.