Film Bad endings which ruined good movies

didz

Also Return of the King. I realize it may be the sourse material (haven’t read the books), but the good guys winning thanks to a bunch of ghosts was a bit of a disappointing end to what is otherwise my favorite movies of all time.
I'm the books the ghosts just gave the baddies a bit of a fright. They couldn't otherwise interact with them cos they're, ya know, ghosts. Also wasn't there like an hour and a half after that?

Rob

Supports
Liverpool
The ghosts were also in the books. But good guys didn’t win at that moment in the books or the movie

it was only giving Frodo time to toss the ring (which he of course didn’t in the end)
I figured. Doesn’t change my opinion that they are the best pieces of movie ever created, though.

I'm the books the ghosts just gave the baddies a bit of a fright. They couldn't otherwise interact with them cos they're, ya know, ghosts. Also wasn't there like an hour and a half after that?
In the movie, the ghosts basically win it for Aragon & Co. Not terrible but still. And yeah, there’s a bit of an aftermath.

Zlaatan

Parody Account
What would you have had happen? The guy getting shot in the lift was hardly lazy. And the revenge killing makes sense with the one guy knowing the truth. The “LOOK A RAT SEE” is awfully on the nose sure
I don't know, something other than everyone being killed I guess.

Beans

Supports
Neutral
Also Return of the King. I realize it may be the sourse material (haven’t read the books), but the good guys winning thanks to a bunch of ghosts was a bit of a disappointing end to what is otherwise my favorite movies of all time.
Never really thought about it but the ghosts are completely ancillary to the story and unnecessary. Seems a classic Dux Ex Machina, perhaps Tolkein choose it because it's a mythic trope.

Works better in the books, of course. But some Elves or Dwarves showing up would more sense thematically, the "last alliance" rides again, echoing the Fellowship itself.

But then they already did that in Two Towers at Healm's Deep. You can be sure Jackson and the other writers talked about dumping the ghosts.

pacifictheme

The ghosts were also in the books. But good guys didn’t win at that moment in the books or the movie

it was only giving Frodo time to toss the ring (which he of course didn’t in the end)
The ghosts also do significantly less in the books. They never go to minas tirith and why they added that I will never understand.

But it's not the end of the movie anyway.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
The ghosts also do significantly less in the books. They never go to minas tirith and why they added that I will never understand.

But it's not the end of the movie anyway.
And spoils the movie not at all.

And thank feck they cut Tom Bombadill and all of the interminable poetry and songs out.

Dirty Schwein

Has a 'Best of Britney Spears' album
Supports
Luton Town
Really didn't like the end of Creed 3, which was really good up until that point.

Mike Smalling

Never really thought about it but the ghosts are completely ancillary to the story and unnecessary. Seems a classic Dux Ex Machina, perhaps Tolkein choose it because it's a mythic trope.
The dead men serve more of a story purpose than merely winning the battle. First, Aragorn taking the path beneath the mountain is about accepting his lineage and a major step in becoming who he is supposed to become. Second, since everyone thought Isildurs line was broken, and only Isildurs heir could command them, they also serve as proof to the people of Gondor that Aragorn is the rightful king. The last part is not really explained in the movies though.

Also, it isn't even close to being the ending of the movie. It's more like the middle.

Wing Attack Plan R

The ending in the book was far more nuanced. They filmed an alternative ending, but not strictly the book ending, as that would have demanded more changes in the second d half of the film. No idea why they deviated so much from the book plot as it was a pretty damn good ending imo.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/I_Am_Legend_(novel)
Because Will Smith demanded it. He was afraid the other ending made him look weak, that audiences wanted him to be a bad ass. I read an article about it a long time ago, I’ll look for it.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
Because Will Smith demanded it. He was afraid the other ending made him look weak, that audiences wanted him to be a bad ass. I read an article about it a long time ago, I’ll look for it.
Kinell. What a fecking idiot. It could have turned a decent film into something so much better.

Wing Attack Plan R

Kinell. What a fecking idiot. It could have turned a decent film into something so much better.
I’ve been trying to find the article, but unsuccessfully. Smith was concerned his character, a scientist, wasn’t cool enough, so instead of him realizing the vampires have a society and love each other etc., he wanted them to stay monsters ( when the point of the story was he is the “legend”), so he uses the grenade and blows up the lab, etc. Everyone should be glad he turned down The Matrix, cuz I’m sure he would have fecked it up too, just like this, Wild Wild West, and I, Robot.

Unam333

I’ve been trying to find the article, but unsuccessfully. Smith was concerned his character, a scientist, wasn’t cool enough, so instead of him realizing the vampires have a society and love each other etc., he wanted them to stay monsters ( when the point of the story was he is the “legend”), so he uses the grenade and blows up the lab, etc. Everyone should be glad he turned down The Matrix, cuz I’m sure he would have fecked it up too, just like this, Wild Wild West, and I, Robot.
I agree, the book ending is way better. I've seen the movie. The first part of the movie was really enjoyable to watch, the last part... Not too much.

stepic

I can barely remember half the endings you’re all talking about

Dirty Schwein

Has a 'Best of Britney Spears' album
Supports
Luton Town
feck me I don't want to think of The Matrix if that knob was the lead. He would probably get his talentless son to play Morpheus or something daft like that.

Just imagine the dialogue:

"Ayo Morphs! Just give it to me straight, can Zion be saved y'all?" - yuck

OptimisedRed

The Mist. I know a lot of people are pleased with the ending but I would have preferred something closer to the book. I enjoy the movie overall though.

Also find myself wary of endings that go for a shock kill at the end, just as it looks like a probable happy ending. It seems like these endings are ten a penny now and that creating a bleak ending is the cool thing to do.

Drainy

The Mist. I know a lot of people are pleased with the ending but I would have preferred something closer to the book. I enjoy the movie overall though.

Also find myself wary of endings that go for a shock kill at the end, just as it looks like a probable happy ending. It seems like these endings are ten a penny now and that creating a bleak ending is the cool thing to do.
Didn't Stephen King say he loved and wished he'd thought of that ending?

Sara125

I didn’t watch all of it (left the sitting room after like the first 5 mins) but whatever that newish movie is called on Netflix with Julia Roberts…my mum was ranting to me about how much of an anti-climax the ending was. It legit ruined her day I’m not even joking :lol: I told her not to spoil it cos I still plan to finish it and she told me not to even bother.

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline
I didn’t watch all of it (left the sitting room after like the first 5 mins) but whatever that newish movie is called on Netflix with Julia Roberts…my mum was ranting to me about how much of an anti-climax the ending was. It legit ruined her day I’m not even joking :lol: I told her not to spoil it cos I still plan to finish it and she told me not to even bother.
If you don’t need everything answering then you won’t mind it, apparently the ending mirrored the book too. I didn’t mind it! Good film.

Unam333

Pretty good movie and the acting is stellar.
The ending wasn't my cup of tea, but you should watch it. It's a good movie. One of the better Netflix movies.

I think I prefer the novel's ending.
The movie ending was brilliant though, but at the same time it's too bleak and shocking, because I hate seeing kids getting killed, even though it's fiction. And I wonder: could the people in the car have survived? And the answer is yes. I can't stand religious loons who obediently and blindly follow a leader. This can only happen in the US.

The ending is the reason I've watched the movie like only once or twice.

Last edited:

pacifictheme

And spoils the movie not at all.

And thank feck they cut Tom Bombadill and all of the interminable poetry and songs out.
It is a pretty silly thing to just have the army of the dead win the battle but it's not the worst thing about the trilogy. And yeah overall they are great films and it doesn't really matter.

sherrinford

Gangs of New York - passed the natural point at which the film seemed to be building towards for a resolution, lost all momentum and petered out quite feebly after three quarters of a very good film.

Bad Times at the El Royale - shifted totally to something far less intriguing and entertaining with Chris Hemsworth's introduction.

Sunshine - weird shift to a horror with a monster villain in it's last third. Baffling.

The Wolverine - I think James Mangold basically had another go at making this film with Logan, after the studio forced him to include a fight with a big ninja robot baddie which is sooo out of place with the rest of the film. Ruined it.

OptimisedRed

Didn't Stephen King say he loved and wished he'd thought of that ending?
I think he did. Massive fan of King, but he is awful at finishing his stories. The mist ending he wrote I didn't mind so much.

tomaldinho1

Watched Reptile the other day.
Starts really well, there’s a lot of intrigue and possible characters and then has the laziest of endings.

It reminded me of Lost, the writers do loads of interesting things but never bother to explain it so it just snowballs into something weird and, ultimately, worse than it should have been.

Also that Snowman film with Fassbender.

Wing Attack Plan R

Completely agree. Hated that fecking “twist” ending. It did nothing but tweak the noses of those who were familiar with the story, because it didn’t fit the rest of the film. As if the entire point was to piss off King fans.