Film Bad endings which ruined good movies

sully07

The Abyss, like a 5 year old decided everyone should live happily ever after.

Superunknown

I've heard the criticisms over the years with Sunshine and it's third act, and I can't really agree with it, tbh. The way I see it, the third act is all about that final barrier to progress. Pinbacker is essentially a representation of religious fanaticism/fundamentalism. I thought his role acted as a good narrative opposite to the scientific elements of the story which are pushed pretty hard in the first and second acts of the film. It comes to a head in that whole final scene of Capa (Cillian Murphy's character) getting to 'meet' the sun at the end as space and time become distorted. You could interpret that scene from both a religious and scientific perspective, and the way it was filmed was incredible, in my view. That third act is necessary for that final scene with Capa and the sun to become even more meaningful and beautiful.

I really like the film. It's also given us an absolute banger of a track in 'Adagio in D Minor', which is otherworldly. :drool:

sherrinford

Nah, Mark Strongs character is introduced within the first 5 minutes of the film, and his crew are constantly referenced throughout (in terms of what happened to them). The actions that set the crew off on going to find their ship happen straight away. The whole point of the film is basically God vs. Science/ Emotion vs. Logic and how staring at the Sun can drive you a bit loopy (something which has already started happening to one of the crew). Mark Strong's character by the end is basically just the human reprisentation of God - trying to stop Science from interfering in his work

I must have watched it at least 5 or 6 times. I think it's a brilliant film (obviously).
@Sweet Square

Thematically it makes a lot of sense

It's a great film. Probably one of Boyle's best.
Appropriate setup and payoff in terms of plot, and thematic arguments, do not excuse the sudden tonal shift. It shatters expectations built up over the first two thirds of the film, and it doesn't work.

What do you think the theme of the film is? What is Garland/ Boyle trying to say?

Eddy_JukeZ

Also Return of the King. I realize it may be the sourse material (haven’t read the books), but the good guys winning thanks to a bunch of ghosts was a bit of a disappointing end to what is otherwise my favorite movies of all time.
I agree that scene is a big plot hole for the movie, but not sure I'd classify that as the ending considering there's like a hour left in the movie still.

Dirty Schwein

Has a 'Best of Britney Spears' album
Supports
Luton Town
Would you have preferred they didn't make amends and continued being enemies? Or the result of the fight itself?
It wasn't the outcome of the relationship or the fight, I was fine with that. It's more the rushed nature of getting there. The friend was a great character and they were building him so well and next thing you know, he goes full villain and next thing you know, Creed jumps in the ring and pretty easily beats him and next thing you know they've made amends.

I would have preferred this entire movie to be about the friends rise and maybe even have him beat Creed this time to setup a bigger showdown in a sequel. Although that last bit isn't essential but it really felt rushed.

buchansleftleg

Totally agree that Sunshine still stands up today as a great film and the narrative about how the sun is like "talking to god" is interpreted in different ways by Pinbacker and Capa - one reactionary and destructive, while the other just embraces the beauty of an infinite space.

For me the most "ruined ending" has to be "Joker". Most of the film felt like a realistic, harrowing descent into madness until the final chat show scene...which was false, unrealistic and just like a typical one -dimensional "movie crazy" villain.

It turned it into just a poor copy of Taxi Driver, rather than an homage to it's style and feel.

Sweet Square

The 2006 Miami Vice movie
I love the ending. The first part with Crockett and Isabelle is classic Mann stuff about trying to gain more time. One of the last lines is “time is luck and we’ve ran out of luck.”

Their profession which brings them together and gives them the time to bond is in the end the thing that separates them forever.

The final part with tubbs in the hospital is the cycle repeating itself. I’m sure it’s a commentary on the endless drug war and how Tubbs & Crockett are stuck in their work. To quote another Mann film - “I don’t know how to do anything else. And I don’t want either”

Scandi Red

Hates Music.
I thought Django went downhill once dr Schultz does not want shake hands to seal the deal
I love Django and I don't mind the ending, but you're kind of right. The filmed peaked right before that point.

I guess Tarantino didn't want a too unrealistic superhero ending, which it would have been if Django got out of that situation.

Sunny Jim

Warsaw...that's too far away from Edinburgh...
I love Django and I don't mind the ending, but you're kind of right. The filmed peaked right before that point.

I guess Tarantino didn't want a too unrealistic superhero ending, which it would have been if Django got out of that situation.
oh man the tension form the moment the 12k offer got accepted till Dr. schultz couldnt resisit himself… best part of the film

Oldyella

Nah, Mark Strongs character is introduced within the first 5 minutes of the film, and his crew are constantly referenced throughout (in terms of what happened to them). The actions that set the crew off on going to find their ship happen straight away. The whole point of the film is basically God vs. Science/ Emotion vs. Logic and how staring at the Sun can drive you a bit loopy (something which has already started happening to one of the crew). Mark Strong's character by the end is basically just the human reprisentation of God - trying to stop Science from interfering in his work

I must have watched it at least 5 or 6 times. I think it's a brilliant film (obviously).
Yeah, brilliant movie. Amazing cast too!