Gaming Baldur's Gate III by Larian Studios (PS5, PC, Mac, Xbox Series X|S)

Shane88

Actually Nostradamus
Another thing that's good about this is the talking head/dialogue bits seem to have loads of animations and facial expressions, makes the characters more interesting. Not like other open world games where talky bits have 4 or 5 different animations and that's it.

Massive Spanner

The Football Grinch
Another thing that's good about this is the talking head/dialogue bits seem to have loads of animations and facial expressions, makes the characters more interesting. Not like other open world games where talky bits have 4 or 5 different animations and that's it.
Pretty sure they used motion capture for every single line of dialogue in the game. Even shitty NPCs with no purpose to the plot. It’s insane.

it was so jarring then when I tried Starfield which was so wooden in comparison cause it just used AI and every NPC was so wooden and flat.

honestly think Raphael might be up there with the best characters ever in a game for his performance and how incredible the animations are.

Shane88

Actually Nostradamus
Pretty sure they used motion capture for every single line of dialogue in the game. Even shitty NPCs with no purpose to the plot. It’s insane.

it was so jarring then when I tried Starfield which was so wooden in comparison cause it just used AI and every NPC was so wooden and flat.

honestly think Raphael might be up there with the best characters ever in a game for his performance and how incredible the animations are.
It'll be the year 2080 and Bethesda will still have this cardboard cut-out angle for their games.

Grylte

"nothing wrong with some friendly incest, bro"
Well Ive already decided Im restarting my character when I have time. Not happy having found out I missed some side quests and characters.

Now do i stick with druid or go for the monk .... @Kaos

Any other squad members carry the talk to animals spell?
I enjoyed monk, plus that 2 of your potential companions are druids.
You can get scrolls to speak with animals or dead.
No problem skipping some quests if you plan more playthroughs, do them next time, there's plenty of quests, xp and loot.
My first game was basically a tutorial for me, figuring the game, characters, spells etc.

my next game will be full roleplay, where i pretend i don't know anything about the world and only pick the options that fit my guy's personality.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
I enjoyed monk, plus that 2 of your potential companions are druids.
You can get scrolls to speak with animals or dead.
No problem skipping some quests if you plan more playthroughs, do them next time, there's plenty of quests, xp and loot.
My first game was basically a tutorial for me, figuring the game, characters, spells etc.

my next game will be full roleplay, where i pretend i don't know anything about the world and only pick the options that fit my guy's personality.
Yeah I accidentally skipped the Mountain Pass, but I also plan to actively avoid the Cazador storyline because I'll be playing through a second time with Astarion. Barely used him first time round as my own character is a rogue.

DatIrishFella

Band of Brothers, Thief
I know part of the joy of cRPG's is the experimenting and learning what class suits your playstyle, but can anyone recommend classes/subclasses/multiclasses that are objectively fun?

Ragnar123

Supports
Barcelona
I know part of the joy of cRPG's is the experimenting and learning what class suits your playstyle, but can anyone recommend classes/subclasses/multiclasses that are objectively fun?
You can't do anything wrong with a warlock. They are spell casters and can be a melee if you want to, they have high charisma that gives you advantage in dialogs and that's a pretty big deal in BG3, plus their damage spells also scale with charisma, which means you don't sacrifice damage in pushing charisma. Subclasses isn't that important, just pick the one you like most and I wouldn't recommend multiclass with a first playthrough.

DatIrishFella

Band of Brothers, Thief
You can't do anything wrong with a warlock. They are spell casters and can be a melee if you want to, they have high charisma that gives you advantage in dialogs and that's a pretty big deal in BG3, plus their damage spells also scale with charisma, which means you don't sacrifice damage in pushing charisma. Subclasses isn't that important, just pick the one you like most and I wouldn't recommend multiclass with a first playthrough.
Thank you! I'm sick of using melee in rpgs so magic based one sounds good.

Ill avoid multiclassing till next playthrough.

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United

Just as a “slight” warning. Warlock’s are essentially Eldrich Blast cannons. Now, there’s absolutely nothing wrong with that, but their tiny number of spell slots means you’ll be leaning really heavy into EB.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
Just as a “slight” warning. Warlock’s are essentially Eldrich Blast cannons. Now, there’s absolutely nothing wrong with that, but their tiny number of spell slots means you’ll be leaning really heavy into EB.
It's literally all I use Wyll for so that's a reason I won't be doing a Warlock playthrough. Feel like I've already done it.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
If you use barbarians creatively they're so fun! Throwing builds especially (if you're sick of melee) — throwing weapons or anything that isn't screwed to the floor including your other opponents.

Ragnar123

Supports
Barcelona
But their slots fill up again with short rests in contrast to other classes. And Eldrich Blast is strong and fun if you skill that it pushes targets back. I killed many that way pushing them into the abyss with just one blast.

Grylte

"nothing wrong with some friendly incest, bro"

My first game was with sorcerer, quite straight forward class, and you can bring Wyll along on some quests if you want to check out warlock.
Fireball is fun!

caid

It's literally all I use Wyll for so that's a reason I won't be doing a Warlock playthrough. Feel like I've already done it.
Its a good choice for multiclassing. At level 3 you get binding of the pact which makes all melee weapons scale off charisma. So it can be very efficient with stats. You'll get extra eldritch blasts at later levels even with only 1 level in warlock. You can get eb buffs pretty early too or has some nice roleplay alternatives like speak with animals.

As far as fun without mutliclassing open hand monk and battlemaster fighters were both a lot of fun and both keep getting good stuff from later levels. I'd just swap Lae'zel or someone else to one though, they're fun in a fight more than anything. Druid has a lot of variety, kind of hard to use. Wizard keeps getting better and has a lot of random fringe uses but Gale covers that. Paladin and cleric both have a lot of good options, not particularly straightforward to build well.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord

Bethesda have always been God awful at NPC's. It's almost like it's on purpose at this point.

Bebe

I've played almost 20 hours of this and feel like I've happily been bumbling around doing absolutely nothing of note. I'm in the goblin cave with Minthara, trying to kill them off without aggroing the whole place.

Playing on console is fun enough but I do feel like half my playtime is spent navigating the controls to select individual party members and such.

V.O.

Last Man Standing finalist 2019/20
Soooooo ..... what does 1d6 and other such numbers in these games mean?
A d6 is a 6 sided dice. So it'll be whatever you roll from that. 1d6 will be anything between 1-6, 2d6 will be 2-12, 1d20 1-20, etc.

Shane88

Actually Nostradamus
I love the exploration in this. Feels like an actual adventure pottering about the forests and villages not knowing what you'll find. No compass on the HUD telling you immediately where landmarks and quests are.

Shane88

Actually Nostradamus
My paladin is fecking shit. He misses almost every attack. I have him using a two handed greatsword and it says 50% for every attack so I should at least fluke half the time but it feels like I miss 9/10.

Being carried by Shadowheart, Wyll and especially Astarion.

DatIrishFella

Band of Brothers, Thief
Will I know when im approaching the end of act I or is it sudden?

Ive so many quests/side quests in my journal that I'm afraid if I undertake a particular quest Ill lose out on stuff in act I?

The game's open endedness is a lovely fecking thing to see this day and age but also makes me anxious about what order I should be doing quests?

Example, I spoke to Minthara in tbe Goblin camp and one of the options was "Nere said you go get me to moonrise towers", or something to that effect. The thing is, I havent met anyone called Nere yet?

Am I breaking the quests? Or just paranoid?

Just feck it and go with the flow for 1st playthrough?

harms

Staff
Will I know when im approaching the end of act I or is it sudden?
It will warn you that entering a certain location may cause the world to change. You’ll always have time to finish your quests and enter it later.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
I'm absolutely cleaning up in Act 3.

Playing super good guy first time round and I've already:

- Killed the entire group of Shar people and released Shart's parents into moon motes
- Killed Lorroakan
- Killed Sarevok
- Killed all bads in the Iron Throne and Steel Watch factory whilst saving every single Gondorian

Next up is the blow the factory, kill Gortash and then Orin is next. I might even have a bash at Raphael with his 666HP. All bad will die this playthrough.

harms

Staff

- Killed the entire group of Shar people and released Shart's parents into moon motes
- Killed Lorroakan
- Killed Sarevok
- Killed all bads in the Iron Throne and Steel Watch factory whilst saving every single Gondorian

Next up is the blow the factory, kill Gortash and then Orin is next. I might even have a bash at Raphael with his 666HP. All bad will die this playthrough.
Do you play with Wyll? There’s a certain end game boss that can only be found through him (or if you google how to), but the fight and loot is worth checking out.

google Ansur

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
Do you play with Wyll? There’s a certain end game boss that can only be found through him (or if you google how to), but the fight and loot is worth checking out.

google Ansur
Yeah he's in my party. I've been told to go and recruit it to help with the fight at the end, but haven't gone there yet.

Massive Spanner

The Football Grinch
I never used Wyll even once and I was able to do that quest and fight that boss. I think it's more that you need to rescue the Grand Duke, and you don't need Wyll for him.

caid

I never used Wyll even once and I was able to do that quest and fight that boss. I think it's more that you need to rescue the Grand Duke, and you don't need Wyll for him.
Councillor florrick will tell you too. There's a few back ups

Massive Spanner

The Football Grinch

- Killed Lorroakan
- Killed Sarevok

Act 3 is an absolute breeze compared to Act 1 and parts of Act 2. I'd argue the hardest fights are in early act 1 like the Gnolls at the cave and the Harpys. They didn't do a great job of balancing things out as you level up.

That said you should definitely do the Raphael fight as it's the most fun and challenging in the entire game!

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
Act 3 is an absolute breeze compared to Act 1 and parts of Act 2. I'd argue the hardest fights are in early act 1 like the Gnolls at the cave and the Harpys. They didn't do a great job of balancing things out as you level up.

That said you should definitely do the Raphael fight as it's the most fun and challenging in the entire game!
Is there a showdown or do you just decide to attack? He's currently in that pub/bnb place with an offer for me so I might just rock up and attack him.

DatIrishFella

Band of Brothers, Thief
I accidentally encouraged some fella to smack a tiefling child who stole his locket and now the kids all hate me in the dragons lair even though i rescued the little kid from the harpies.

Emerald Grove btw

:(

Massive Spanner

The Football Grinch
Is there a showdown or do you just decide to attack? He's currently in that pub/bnb place with an offer for me so I might just rock up and attack him.
Oh there's a showdown. Should be a House of Hope quest you can do? Basically go there, it's a bit tricky to figure out how to get there though so feel free to use a guide.

Basically you need to do this

Oh and you generally do it AFTER you get all the netherstones so don't panic

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
Having no level to aspire to after 12 is changing the way I play now. Could’ve fought the steel watch in the room where you’re supposed to plant the bomb but why would I do that when all it would do is cost me time, potions and scrolls? I just went invisible and planted the bomb.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
What the feck is up with Blight? Ridiculously overpowered spell that takes like 40-50 of my health.

harms

Staff
Having no level to aspire to after 12 is changing the way I play now. Could’ve fought the steel watch in the room where you’re supposed to plant the bomb but why would I do that when all it would do is cost me time, potions and scrolls? I just went invisible and planted the bomb.
You've missed the best bow in the game?