g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

Gaming Baldur's Gate III by Larian Studios (PS5, PC, Mac, Xbox Series X|S)

caid

Someone else correct me if I'm wrong, but
once you go through the elevator from the Underdark to the Shadow Cursed Lands, Act 1 is done and you can't go back that way.

Just carry on doing everything in the Shadow Cursed Lands. No spoilers but if you travel up to the upper north end of Reithwin there is a Masoleum which has a really big quest for one of your companions
You can go back. Mountain Pass is still active and is pretty big part of story.

Need to ask a question:

Trying to finish things around the first area. I have found the owlbear cub but only after I have killed the three leaders of the goblins, but have left the camp hostile towards me. The walkthrough tends towards doing this before killing the goblins. I have spared the mother, is it still possible to recruit the cub from this scenario?
So you didn't really spare the mother. The goblins came and murdered it instead - thus the owlbear cub being at goblin camp. If it shows up past this point it'll be in your camp - long rest a couple of times. I'm guessing you'll have to clear out that goblin camp to move the story on. You could try knocking out owlbear cub if its hostile. Its a passive skill you can toggle on / off.

siw2007

You can go back. Mountain Pass is still active and is pretty big part of story.

So you didn't really spare the mother. The goblins came and murdered it instead - thus the owlbear cub being at goblin camp. If it shows up past this point it'll be in your camp - long rest a couple of times. I'm guessing you'll have to clear out that goblin camp to move the story on. You could try knocking out owlbear cub if its hostile. Its a passive skill you can toggle on / off.
technically I haven’t left the cave yet, so the goblins haven’t come yet to kill her. Ok, so clear the goblin camp and long rest a few times and it should appear in the camp.

Siorac

Starting my second game. Yes immediately after as I have 3 days off this week.

Is Sorcerer a fun playthrough? I want to ensure I have something like Guidance for rolls and a cantrip that is either Eldritch or similar to Eldritch. I don’t see either on the character screen when picking sorcerer though. Dunno if I wanna keep running out of spells in battle so would need an alternative action to use in combat.
I enjoyed Sorcerer quite a lot. It has the usual cantrips that all spellcasters have access to.

For Guidance you'll need someone else.

Walrus

Oppressed White Male
I finished my 2nd run the other day. Tonight my missus finally finished her first after 187 hours.

already got the next one lined up - a Dark Urge Duergar Monk trying to maintain self discipline and control.

I would 100% playing as Dark Urge by the way. It gives your character a much more personal connection to the story and makes it feel more like playing as one of the origin characters - a proper backstory and investment, whether you are resisting the urge or embracing it (as I did on my most recent playthrough).

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
I enjoyed Sorcerer quite a lot. It has the usual cantrips that all spellcasters have access to.

For Guidance you'll need someone else.
Think I’m gonna start as sorcerer but multi class a bit of Warlock. I basically rinsed Wyll’s story and Gale annoys me so if I combine them in my char basically and party up with Lae’zel, Astarion and probably still Shart I’ll have a totally different experience. Gonna play as a female sorcerer who is a bit power hungry and wants to control the brain.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
I forgot how difficult the early battles are. The amount of misses your party has early on is ridiculous too.

Shane88

Actually Nostradamus
I forgot how difficult the early battles are. The amount of misses your party has early on is ridiculous too.
My character misses everything, despite the attack saying 60/70/80%. It's infuriating.

Karlach almost always hits.

Astarion seems to be 50/50.

Shadowheart is reliable.

But I've reached level 5 now so me and Karlach have an extra attack every round. Gonna wreck shit.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
I’ve just found an entire new area under Waukeen’s rest that I didn’t find first time round :lol:

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
I don’t know if there’s been an update but I’m getting awful lag in the menus suddenly. I have tooltips on but nothing shows, and there’s the sound effect of me flicking back and forth between items in the inventory but I’m not moving anything.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
The trials, the level design, enemies, its absoutely poxy. That invisible path trial took the piss. And if you fall 3 times a random member of your crew just drops dead?

I just feels its badly designed.
I just got Wyll to use Gaseus Form and fly over there.

Siorac

Yeah I loved the Gauntlet of Shar, too. I don't even remember the faith leap trial - I think I just used Fly? Or maybe Githyanki jump.

DatIrishFella

Band of Brothers, Thief
Its bugged garbage. Cant even do Yurgirs contract quests because the rats wont spawn. And the when you get to the Nghtsong prison Balthazaar can essentialy one shot you (he has 20 minions) and the others just push you off the ledge.

Its awful design.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
Its bugged garbage. Cant even do Yurgirs contract quests because the rats wont spawn. And the when you get to the Nghtsong prison Balthazaar can essentialy one shot you (he has 20 minions) and the others just push you off the ledge.

Its awful design.
Killed Yurgir.

Shoved Balthazar off the edge.

Couldn't be me. :cool:

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United

Its awful design.
Killed Yurgir (you can approach from the side and sneak attack).

Balthazar can be battled very early in the gauntlet in his lair. No danger of getting pushed off a ledge and far fewer minions I think.

the point is that every encounter in BG3 has multiple avenues of “attack”. Often times the hardest way to do anything is the heads on or straight forward route.

caid

Its awful design.
Theres a specific way to get the rats to spawn. Balthazaar was dead when i reached the nightsong prison. Push them off the ledge before they push you?

pacifictheme

Not played in a week. Need to get back on it this weekend for a session to push through the end of act 2.

The Cat

Will drink milk from your hands
Lots of the fights have taken me multiple goes as I refuse to change the makeup of my party for my original run through.

Am totally not adverse to reading strategies online when it gets to 10 tries though. Sometimes I have muddled through without by approaching from a different angle.

I love this game.

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
Starting my second game. Yes immediately after as I have 3 days off this week.

Is Sorcerer a fun playthrough? I want to ensure I have something like Guidance for rolls and a cantrip that is either Eldritch or similar to Eldritch. I don’t see either on the character screen when picking sorcerer though. Dunno if I wanna keep running out of spells in battle so would need an alternative action to use in combat.
I hate Sorcerer in this game. I am magic incarnate, the blood of a golden dragon running through my veins, but Gale is still like "acccctttuuuallly I'm far superior to you because I one read about magic in a book." feck off, nerd.

The Cat

I hate Sorcerer in this game. I am magic incarnate, the blood of a golden dragon running through my veins, but Gale is still like "acccctttuuuallly I'm far superior to you because I one read about magic in a book." feck off, nerd.
You can blow him up

DatIrishFella

Band of Brothers, Thief
Went back to a previous save a few hours back to try and work around some of thr glitches I came across in the gauntlet. And now since I know that place like the back of me fecking hand im flying through.

Cant believe Im still at this part though :lol:

The Cat

Went back to a previous save a few hours back to try and work around some of thr glitches I came across in the gauntlet. And now since I know that place like the back of me fecking hand im flying through.

Plenty to go yet fella :lol:

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout

As long as you grabbed the bag of shards at the main entrance before they vanished you shouldn't need to reload your save for a second time. Iol

You can blow him up
Oh, don't think that it hasn't crossed my mind a few times.

DatIrishFella

Band of Brothers, Thief
As long as you grabbed the bag of shards at the main entrance before they vanished you shouldn't need to reload your save for a second time. Iol

Oh, don't think that it hasn't crossed my mind a few times.
You better be taking the pish!?

Im getting out of this fcuking temple tonight! Bag or shards or nay!

Shane88

Actually Nostradamus
Act 1: Gonna kill Minthara. I've read that you can recruit her and that she's an interesting character but the Tieflings don't deserve that and Halsin seems like a good egg.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
Just been bingeing all the memes on the subreddit.

It truly is such a fantastic game. The amount of work they've put into the logic of it all is incredible. Been reading people's stories of greasing up stuck things to move them, or reverse pickpocketing magic enemies to hide Sussur on them so they can't cast spells, or using a void orb to just launch a tough boss off a cliff and the game just being like 'yep that's possible go for it'. Also the fact you can pre-kill certain enemies so when it comes down to a big fight there's hardly anyone there (reminds me of the old GTAs when you could plant a bomb on a car before starting a mission).

There's no rigid structure from the devs to the way you approach it, and the fact you can respec for just 100g means you never have to worry about picking the wrong skill or anything. It's just so player friendly in terms of the freedom it gives you. The amount of things you can do feels endless.

You almost have you re-train your brain because you've accepted typical video-game boundaries for so long.

Massive Spanner

The Football Grinch
Just been bingeing all the memes on the subreddit.

It truly is such a fantastic game. The amount of work they've put into the logic of it all is incredible. Been reading people's stories of greasing up stuck things to move them, or reverse pickpocketing magic enemies to hide Sussur on them so they can't cast spells, or using a void orb to just launch a tough boss off a cliff and the game just being like 'yep that's possible go for it'. Also the fact you can pre-kill certain enemies so when it comes down to a big fight there's hardly anyone there (reminds me of the old GTAs when you could plant a bomb on a car before starting a mission).

There's no rigid structure from the devs to the way you approach it, and the fact you can respec for just 100g means you never have to worry about picking the wrong skill or anything. It's just so player friendly in terms of the freedom it gives you. The amount of things you can do feels endless.

You almost have you re-train your brain because you've accepted typical video-game boundaries for so long.
this game has taught me how fecking uncreative I am compared to so many other gamers.

Bebe

Act 1: Gonna kill Minthara. I've read that you can recruit her and that she's an interesting character but the Tieflings don't deserve that and Halsin seems like a good egg.
Did the same. I'm finding myself picking the "good guy" options a lot more in this game compared to others because it feels like there's actual consequence to the decisions.

I'm 40 hours in, still in Act 1, still not really sure what I'm doing but I've ended up underground and just
killed Nere and his slaver buddies. Truly satisfying.

I found some instructions telling me I can use the Grymforge if I place two materials in it. Don't think I've ever seen either material. Have I missed something or is this something I should come back to do much later in the game or something?

Also, why can't Shadowheart hit a barn door?

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
I found some instructions telling me I can use the Grymforge if I place two materials in it. Don't think I've ever seen either material. Have I missed something or is this something I should come back to do much later in the game or something?
There are 3, I think, mithril ores in slightly hidden locations around the Grymforge.