Gaming Baldur's Gate III by Larian Studios (PS5, PC, Mac, Xbox Series X|S)

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
Oh look at Mr. "I have a non shit gpu" Pigeon over there showing off. You bastard. I'm over here watching the cut scenes like its 1995 and I'm trying to catch a glimpse of boob on a scrambled Spice Channel on cable.
I have the PC equivalent of a Ford Mondeo compared to some of the nerds in here.
If you ever thought about upgrading your PC though, I'd highly recommend doing it now. Things like SSDs and GPUs are at their lowest price point in years. Don't know what you have now, but you should be able to build something plenty powerful for this game for less than 1k.
I noticed that last night when shopping for an M.2 drive. Seem to be half the price they were six months ago in some cases.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
I started over as a high charisma, criminal rogue who acts like a smart arse cnut. I will definitely settle on this and not start over again.

Nickosaur

I had no idea this was linked to D&D :lol: To be fair I was about 12 when I played BGII.

Will this be enjoyable if I have no D&D knowledge?

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
I had no idea this was linked to D&D :lol: To be fair I was about 12 when I played BGII.

I have never plated real DnD, though a lot of cRpgs by now. You can definitely dive in without prior knowledge. Plenty of easy to digest info on Youtube on it as well

padr81

Supports
Man City

Yup I've never played D&D ever and I love it. You'll have a steeper learning curve learning the rules as you go for combat but will have it down in a few hours.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
Yup I've never played D&D ever and I love it. You'll have a steeper learning curve learning the rules as you go for combat but will have it down in a few hours.
Right clicking an enemy an using examine explains weakness and stats on enemies. It's qujte user friendly.

Ragnar123

Supports
Barcelona

Sure, the game does all the math for you. All you need to do is to understand the basic rock-paper-scissors logic in these kind of games and equip the better items. Everything else comes with learning by doing.

Redplane

( . Y . ) planned for Christmas
Accidently closed the tab in the article where I found it but this part I copied isn't a very subtle dig at D4 :lol: :

There is also a resounding refrain from gamers on just how awesome it is to simply pay full price for a game and get, wait for it: A full game. Baldur’s Gate 3 doesn’t just lack the microtransaction nickel-and-dime-fest of many other large games these days, or a damn season pass, the absence of such things is reflected in the gameplay, which doesn’t burden you a grindfest that’s skippable for a “meager” cost.

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down
Just completed the Hag storyline. Quite awesome. Could save nobody but myself but that was quite a sidequest.
I let her take my eye. Her information was interesting. Didn't do much else though. Went into her hidey hole, saw the crazyness and noped out after she told me off.

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
Accidently closed the tab in the article where I found it but this part I copied isn't a very subtle dig at D4 :lol: :

There is also a resounding refrain from gamers on just how awesome it is to simply pay full price for a game and get, wait for it: A full game. Baldur’s Gate 3 doesn’t just lack the microtransaction nickel-and-dime-fest of many other large games these days, or a damn season pass, the absence of such things is reflected in the gameplay, which doesn’t burden you a grindfest that’s skippable for a “meager” cost.
Oh, you haven't followed the story of fellow Devs in the gaming industry? A lot of them are panicking at its success and crying that it's a special anomaly and standards should not be raised due to its success.

I'm sorry but what? Yes they took their time and had a fairly large development team. But these Devs are terrified because Larian lead by example. They don't throw in DLCs or micro transactions. What you see, is what you get. I have some sympathy for smaller studios, but when Blizzard cry about it then I say do one.

Stop insulting your player base and give us a finished, polished product. The initial BG3 release in early access was full of bugs, but that was the entire point of doing an early access build. It allows fans to play the game immediately and help shape it while providing vital information to the Devs on gameplay choices and bugs. Larian took a modern approach to game development.

Its about time gamers set higher standards and push away from studios that release buggy games with shitty micro transactions.

/Rant

weetee

Supports
no-one in particular
Any bugs so far?
No, just one very minor graphical glitch - they seem to have done their homework during ea.

I let her take my eye. Her information was interesting. Didn't do much else though. Went into her hidey hole, saw the crazyness and noped out after she told me off.
Your eye? Nah, didn‘t let that Hag anywhere near me. It‘s some weird and crazy stuff going on down there, make sure to talk to the dead for the full story - highly recommend you check it out once more. The boss fight ain‘t hard. Let‘s just say her hidey hole is no dead end and worthy of a thorough exploration.

edit: I actually loved how you went after those two lads into what seems part of the nicer forest area but I could make a check very early on and it changes to the swampy area it actually was. Moved on and talked to that little gnome with a red hat who pretended to still be a sheep since he didn‘t knew I could see his true form. Bloody bastards :lol:

Last edited:

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
Oh, you haven't followed the story of fellow Devs in the gaming industry? A lot of them are panicking at its success and crying that it's a special anomaly and standards should not be raised due to its success.

I'm sorry but what? Yes they took their time and had a fairly large development team. But these Devs are terrified because Larian lead by example. They don't throw in DLCs or micro transactions. What you see, is what you get. I have some sympathy for smaller studios, but when Blizzard cry about it then I say do one.

Stop insulting your player base and give us a finished, polished product. The initial BG3 release in early access was full of bugs, but that was the entire point of doing an early access build. It allows fans to play the game immediately and help shape it while providing vital information to the Devs on gameplay choices and bugs. Larian took a modern approach to game development.

Its about time gamers set higher standards and push away from studios that release buggy games with shitty micro transactions.

/Rant
Completely agree and to add that if/when there is DLC (come on larian, I want a raised level cap and more time with my <insert whatever final build I choose because I can't make up my mind) I will happily pay for it because it will be actually additive and not just an attempt to rob me blind for nothing (looking at you Paradox).

Massive Spanner

The Football Grinch
People said the same thing when The Witcher 3 was released and CDPR were still a private company with big standards and no stakeholders. I hope Larian can keep their identity after this. The game has absolutely exploded so no doubt is going to make them a shit tonne, and rightly so.

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down
No, just one very minor graphical glitch - they seem to have done their homework during ea.

Your eye? Nah, didn‘t let that Hag anywhere near me. It‘s some weird and crazy stuff going on down there, make sure to talk to the dead for the full story - highly recommend you check it out once more. The boss fight ain‘t hard. Let‘s just say her hidey hole is no dead end and worthy of a thorough exploration.

edit: I actually loved how you went after those two lads into what seems part of the nicer forest area but I could make a check very early on and it changes to the swampy area it actually was. Moved on and talked to that little gnome with a red hat who pretended to still be a sheep since he didn‘t knew I could see his true form. Bloody bastards :lol:
Wasn't that map. -1 Perception, +1 intimidation and a cool eyepatch.

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout

I also have a department budget meeting in the morning. Send help, or at the very least hide my mouse and keyboard.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Title says Xbox but it’s not coming there for a good while?

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
Title says Xbox but it’s not coming there for a good while?
Nope. Apparently they are having issues getting split screen to work on Series S. It works fine on PC, PS5, and Series X but they can’t get it to go on S. Microsoft says it has to work on both for release, so no firm date for now.

Massive Spanner

The Football Grinch
Nope. Apparently they are having issues getting split screen to work on Series S. It works fine on PC, PS5, and Series X but they can’t get it to go on S. Microsoft says it has to work on both for release, so no firm date for now.
But but but I thought the series S wasn’t a bottleneck @Alock1 what happened? :confused:

caid

But but but I thought the series S wasn’t a bottleneck @Alock1 what happened? :confused:
Its performance on older cards probably gives good reason for optimism. They've tended to port their games with a fair break between releases so I imagine they'll get there.
Divinity OS 2 works on it doesn't it?

weetee

Supports
no-one in particular
This worth picking up as a newbie ?.
Definitely. Haven't played round based games for several decades and didn't take me long to enjoy this - so far it looks a masterpiece in gamedesign to me: no hand holding but well designed and intuitive so you can figure out the basics very well yourself. The beautiful open worldish - do whatever you like - approach (which btw still makes it look as if all you do is part of the overarching flexible narrative, probably the best thing about it so far for me, outstanding achievement really) makes most decisions / events look correct when in regular games you'd think you fecked up.
Only the battles are quite tough from the get go even on the middle difficulty setting - especially if you're not the patient type - but I think you can always change to easy mid game. What I like about the demanding combat is that it really rewards innovative or tactical thought, never really feels cheap hence victory very rewarding. Also there are in most cases multiple ways to tackle encounters, you don't have to fight that much often if you don't want to and prefer to talk your ass out of it.

Coxy

Definitely. Haven't played round based games for several decades and didn't take me long to enjoy this - so far it looks a masterpiece in gamedesign to me: no hand holding but well designed and intuitive so you can figure out the basics very well yourself. The beautiful open worldish - do whatever you like - approach (which btw still makes it look as if all you do is part of the overarching flexible narrative, probably the best thing about it so far for me, outstanding achievement really) makes most decisions / events look correct when in regular games you'd think you fecked up.
Only the battles are quite tough from the get go even on the middle difficulty setting - especially if you're not the patient type - but I think you can always change to easy mid game. What I like about the demanding combat is that it really rewards innovative or tactical thought, never really feels cheap hence victory very rewarding. Also there are in most cases multiple ways to tackle encounters, you don't have to fight that much often if you don't want to and prefer to talk your ass out of it.
presume you can save before battles so if you do mess up you can try again etc? thanks

weetee

Supports
no-one in particular
presume you can save before battles so if you do mess up you can try again etc? thanks
You can save whenever and how often you please. Even during battles. It's really all up to you.

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
Also worth pointing out that you can change difficulty at any time, so if you're new pick easy initially to get the hang of combat and then push it up when you're comfortable.

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
This worth picking up as a newbie ?.
As long as you have a basic understanding of how D&D mechanics work then you'll be fine :)

I went on a hell of a journey last night

Rescued the green murderous arsehole, which upset my Bowl Cut Wife, so I sent her (the arsehole) to our camp so she can moan about us not going to her stupid fecking crèche. As if I'm going to let some dumb orc doctor touch MY brain worm...

Recruited a couple of new people, a rogue who will definitely not turn out to be a vampire and a wizard. The wizard tells me he needs to consume magical items otherwise something bad will happen. One night later the rogue turns out to be a vampire, which came as a shock. Bowl Cut Wifey wants to get into my pantaloons.

Saved a kid from being eaten by a snake. Tried to tell the snake to feck off but it was having none of it. Then I met a pig that is absolutely gagging for a shag. I've made it my mission in life to find him a lady pig friend

It's amazing how I'm only a couple of hours in and yet there's clearly another half dozen ways it could have gone.

Simbo

I don't think you need any prior knowledge/experience of D&D stuff. Its irrelevant that other games in the past and future use a similar system. Might just seem a bit odd if you've not come across it before.

Sure you've got an early advantage if you know wtf a 'saving throw' or whatever is and how its calculated, but its not required to start playing this game at all. You learn the mechanics as you go, like every other game. They might be more complicated and in your face here but that just means more rewarding as you understand them more.

Gehrman

Phallic connoisseur, unlike shamans
My mind can't keep up with all the dialogue. Im about 27 hours in. Whenever i thought i was already to move on i discover another area and another well written story. Art design is great as well. I just wish some more pace was injected some way. The turn based combat can make some encounters take forever. If i was younger and had more immersion it would definitely be a goat contender in the rpg genre, it probably still is. The detail is breathtaking but its not without its flaws but the no game really is.

padr81

Supports
Man City
They also are pretty forgiving with autosaves. Just about everytime you come across an area where theres a tricky battle, game will create a new autosave.

weetee

Supports
no-one in particular
My mind can't keep up with all the dialogue. Im about 27 hours in. Whenever i thought i was already to move on i discover another area and another well written story. Art design is great as well. I just wish some more pace was injected some way. The turn based combat can make some encounters take forever. If i was younger and had more immersion it would definitely be a goat contender in the rpg genre, it probably still is. The detail is breathtaking but its not without its flaws but the no game really is.
I understand your point. I love the combat system but right now have a lot of spare time on my hand. I was thinking before that some kind of optional speed-up during combat when they skip most animations of the enemies and go straight to the point would be a good way. Over the course of a larger encounter would easily save 5-10mins that way.

padr81

Supports
Man City
Gamingbolt 10/10

Let’s see how the rest look
Currently rocking a 95 over all on metacritic from 8 reviews I think. 3 x 100's and 3 x 90's with some in between. 9.3 user score despite being review bombed and getting a lot of 0's because its not just BG2 again.

Redplane

( . Y . ) planned for Christmas
Reading all this makes it really hard to resist getting it now but unlike in England our weather isn't shit this time of year so I'm saving the purchase for the winter months.

weetee

Supports
no-one in particular
Anybody here playing on hardest difficulty?

Bebe

I am so torn between playing this or Starfield when they both launch on console. I'll be pre-ordering this though regardless - what a studio Larian appear to be. Bless them for carrying the RPG spirit forward like this while everyone else is seemingly obsessed with "streamlining" and "accessibility" .

Leg-End

Everything about this looks and sounds fantastic, will wait for the PS5 reviews.

weetee

Supports
no-one in particular
That game‘s a 20/20 - critical success