Ballon D’or 2019: who will win it? (Alleged leak: Messi 1, Van Dijk 2, Salah 3).

Eddy_JukeZ

Why? He’s just won La Liga this year. I don’t think he’s been the best on the planet.
He has clearly been the best player in the world the past season. No one is even close to him. He dominated and was number 1 in all La Liga statistics for attacking players and he was actually pretty good in the Champions League too.

The hype machine for Van Dijk has reached a whole new level.

There's been center-backs the past decade who had seasons as good as him arguably or even surpassed him(Vidic in 2008-2009), and no one was touting them as a Ballon D'Or candidate.

Treble

Iniesta should have won it in 2010 after winning the WC and scoring the winning goal in the final but the vote was split between him and Xavi.

Messi 22.65%
Iniesta 17.36%
Xavi 16.48%

Messi had a very poor WC that year (no goals) didn't win the CL either, no one's saying Messi and Ronaldo shouldn't win most of them, but as I said earlier I would hate the Ballon d'Or to be a golden boot race, otherwise only strikers would win it and we've become used to the idea with Messi and Ronaldo at just looking at goals scored as the only measurement to determine a Ballon d'Or.

What about the number of clean sheets VVD helped guide Liverpool to with near record PL points and CL win and strong individual performance in the final?
Liverpool's number of clean sheets is almost identical to City's, none of City's defenders is particularly praised for it. It's not a really special achievement. Messi's numbers, though, are extraordinary. Again, it's silly to reduce Messi's and Ronaldo's contributiions to goals. Besides, it's not that they score more goals than the other forwards but that they score/assist many more goals. Your golden boot point is unconvincing, I'm afraid.

Last edited:

fps

Messi is clearly the best player in the world this season. We are just so used to his brilliance, and his numbers, that we are going blind to it.

Cal?

CR7 fan
Messi fans and their confusion about the Ballon d’or. They insist on talking about the season when the award is for the CALENDAR year. :rolleyes:

Messi bottled the CL from 3 goals up and did absolutely feckall in the Copa America

It’d be a travesty if he got anywhere near winning it

Bole Top

well, VVD bottled Liverpool lead in EPL and Ronaldo bottled in CL. it seems everyone bottled this year, but even among bottlers, Messi has individualy been the best since the start of the year. we have yet to see how they'll play in the second part of the year.

Cal?

CR7 fan
well, VVD bottled Liverpool lead in EPL and Ronaldo bottled in CL. it seems everyone bottled this year, but even among bottlers, Messi has individualy been the best since the start of the year. we have yet to see how they'll play in the second part of the year.
He may have been the best over the season, but in 2019 only there’s no way he’s been the best.

Ronaldo also has the inaugural Euro Nations League

Bole Top

He may have been the best over the season, but in 2019 only there’s no way he’s been the best.

who was better than Messi in 2019?

Cal?

CR7 fan
who was better than Messi in 2019?
Ronaldo, Salah, VVD, Bernado Silva have all had bigger impacts.

Messi and Ronaldo both basically had their league won in 2018.

They did about as well/badly in the CL - 3 goals vs AM is probably harder than 4 against Lyon & United.

Ronaldo won the Euro Nations League whilst being topscorer whilst Messi did a Higuain in the Copa.

VVD basically was the key in the disaster of the year.

B Silva was key in City overturning the 7/10 point deficit.

Bole Top

Ronaldo, Salah, VVD, Bernado Silva have all had bigger impacts.

Messi and Ronaldo both basically had their league won in 2018.

They did about as well/badly in the CL - 3 goals vs AM is probably harder than 4 against Lyon & United.

Ronaldo won the Euro Nations League whilst being topscorer whilst Messi did a Higuain in the Copa.

VVD basically was the key in the disaster of the year.

B Silva was key in City overturning the 7/10 point deficit.
Ronaldo can't compare neither when it comes to league performance neither when it comes to CL performances.
VVD bottled every cup, league and final of that friendly tournament, but has CL which is fair.
B. Silva is a joke I suppose.

Cal?

CR7 fan
Ronaldo can't compare neither when it comes to league performance neither when it comes to CL performances.
VVD bottled every cup, league and final of that friendly tournament, but has CL which is fair.
CL performances? Messi got a lucky draw against Lyon whilst Ronaldo had to contend with Atletico and basically single handedly got them into the QF.

Messi got another lucky draw against a hapless United side and even had De Gea helping him along to scoring 2 goals.

He was good against Liverpool in the 1st leg but dreadful along with his whole team in the 2nd leg.

K13

I think he has been magnificent this season and if he carries on in the same vein into next then why not. The best player in the best team in the strongest league based on 4 PL teams in the European finals.

I don't really understand why people are dismissing league titles. Especially the Spanish and English leagues which are very competitive. I would take a league title over a CL win any day of the week.

Bole Top

CL performances? Messi got a lucky draw against Lyon whilst Ronaldo had to contend with Atletico and basically single handedly got them into the QF.

Messi got another lucky draw against a hapless United side and even had De Gea helping him along to scoring 2 goals.

He was good against Liverpool in the 1st leg but dreadful along with his whole team in the 2nd leg.
he was CL top scorer and no one was even close to him, especially not Ronaldo. that's it. I doubt they'll debate about who had easier draw among them.

Dr. StrangeHate

Is this a yearly event and I just googled it, it was played against Netherlands. Were France, Belgium and Spain not invited?

Bole Top

I think he has been magnificent this season and if he carries on in the same vein into next then why not. The best player in the best team in the strongest league based on 4 PL teams in the European finals.

I don't really understand why people are dismissing league titles. Especially the Spanish and English leagues which are very competitive. I would take a league title over a CL win any day of the week.
don't get me wrong, I've watched about 25 City games in past season and yes, he certainly had great year. I just don't believe a player like him stand a chance against both Messi and Ronaldo and now VVD. I also doubt many of those who'd vote actually follow players so closely (Silva in this case) to see what he brings to the team and make them dismiss amazing individual stats of other players. to put it simply, I think it's mission impossible for him.

K13

don't get me wrong, I've watched about 25 City games in past season and yes, he certainly had great year. I just don't believe a player like him stand a chance against both Messi and Ronaldo and now VVD. I also doubt many of those who'd vote actually follow players so closely (Silva in this case) to see what he brings to the team and make them dismiss amazing individual stats of other players. to put it simply, I think it's mission impossible for him.
That makes perfect sense.

It really has to be a player from the PL surely given the European dominance and given there is no WC for individuals to put their names in the hat. You could probably add Mane and perhaps Sterling as an outside bet.

Bwuk

VvD will probably win it.

Bernardo Silva should be in the top 5 though.

Chipper

Adulterer.
Is this a yearly event and I just googled it, it was played against Netherlands. Were France, Belgium and Spain not invited?
Every two years is the plan, this was the first one. All European teams were in it.

It's largely replaced friendly international matches in the seasons where there are no qualifiers for either World Cup or Euro tournaments, having competitive football instead. There is also a path to qualify for Euro 2020 through this for teams who end up not qualifying the traditional way.

In the top league (League A), the best 12 teams according to rankings were divided into 4 groups of 3. Each team played each other twice during the season. The winner went to the semi finals, 2nd in the group gets to stay in League A the next time they have this in 2020/21, 3rd got relegated and will be replaced by one of the winners from League B for next time.

The groups finished:
1st Netherlands, 2nd France, 3rd Germany
1st Switzerland, 2nd Belgium, 3rd Iceland
1st Portugal, 2nd Italy, 3rd Poland
1st England, 2nd Spain, 3rd Croatia

Netherlands beat England, Portugal beat Switzerland in the semi finals played after the end of the season, and you know the result of the final already.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2018–19_UEFA_Nations_League

Kush

Hyperbolic and will post where they like!!
Ronaldo deserved it last year but Modric got it, this year Messi deserves it but van Dijk will get it. Never ever under-estimate the hype.

It'll be funny one way or the other, if Messi wins it then Ronaldo fans will moan about last years' result and Messi doesn't win then their fans will justify how Modric deserved to win last year but Messi deserved to win this one :D

Tostao_80

Messi fans and their confusion about the Ballon d’or. They insist on talking about the season when the award is for the CALENDAR year. :rolleyes:

Messi bottled the CL from 3 goals up and did absolutely feckall in the Copa America

It’d be a travesty if he got anywhere near winning it
This ladies and gentlemen is why there ever won't be any reasoning with Cal and some others on here.
If you think that Leo Messi hasn't been amongst the very best players in world football in 2019 then there is something seriously wrong.
Do some people love Cristiano so much that they are willing to spout such nonsense?

With Leo we know it's more than just stats because his level has been higher than everyone else's but Leo Messi has a mammoth 33 goals in 37 games for Club and Country this calendar year. Cristiano has a paltry 16 in 23. No one else on earth comes close to Leo's stats. And its not just in the league where he collected the Golden Shoe, he was also very productive in the CL (6 goals in 6 knockout games, more than anyone else).

To make matters worse, Cal thinks that Bernardo (wonderful though he is) has had a bigger impact than Leo this year. League play? No comparison, Leo easily better? CL? Again no comparison as Leo was better. So we're left with 2 games in the Nations Cup where Bernardo was very good. That's it.

Pure madness.

wr8_utd

:'(
This ladies and gentlemen is why there ever won't be any reasoning with Cal and some others on here.
If you think that Leo Messi hasn't been amongst the very best players in world football in 2019 then there is something seriously wrong.
Do some people love Cristiano so much that they are willing to spout such nonsense?

With Leo we know it's more than just stats because his level has been higher than everyone else's but Leo Messi has a mammoth 33 goals in 37 games for Club and Country this calendar year. Cristiano has a paltry 16 in 23. No one else on earth comes close to Leo's stats. And its not just in the league where he collected the Golden Shoe, he was also very productive in the CL (6 goals in 6 knockout games, more than anyone else).

To make matters worse, Cal thinks that Bernardo (wonderful though he is) has had a bigger impact than Leo this year. League play? No comparison, Leo easily better? CL? Again no comparison as Leo was better. So we're left with 2 games in the Nations Cup where Bernardo was very good. That's it.

Pure madness.
Just ignore Cal when it comes to anything Messi related. Ronaldo is so not in the running for Ballandor this year and he knows it and hence his desperate actions to showcase and highlight his achievements on Instagram.
VVD has had an amazing season but like he himself said, it doesn't matter if Messi didn't go one game further, he's been the best in the world and comfortably so. I'd understand if he only performed in the League and disappeared in the CL but he's the top scorer there with some 5-6 knockout goals. Ideally you'd not have him punished for his defender's inability to defend a 3 goal lead but such is the hype machine over VVD you just know he'll win it. B.Silva or Sterling should round up the Top 3 and they'd deserve to be there.

ReallyUSA

Its either Messi or The dike. The power of recency goes against the hgh overlord. Blew CL and King's cup.

Needham

The Messi-Ronaldo era is sadly, like the western liberal order, passing through its terminal phase. I foresee an era of sub- Messi/Ronaldos, where there are still top talents but with something super professionally bland about them, a world of Griezemans. Occasionally there will appear an Mbappe to get everyone hard but you'll see how they fail to reach the heights.

Cal?

CR7 fan
he was CL top scorer and no one was even close to him, especially not Ronaldo. that's it. I doubt they'll debate about who had easier draw among them.
He was CL topscorer due to the group stage in 2018

Cal?

CR7 fan

Pure madness.
As I've already pointed out, La Liga was pretty much won in 2018, there's a huge difference padding stats in pretty much dead rubbers in La Liga to having the pressure of needing to win every game like City did to overturn the 7pt deficit to win the league.

Cal?

CR7 fan
I thought he scored 6 in knockout stage as well, but yeah, it's probably just my bad memory.
Messi has 6 in 2019, Ronaldo has 5, no one was even close. :lol:

Bole Top

Messi has 6 in 2019, Ronaldo has 5, no one was even close. :lol:
imo, even when Messi scores 2, it counts like 4 because he's simply superior player to Ronaldo and his goals are usually better than simple headers. so he actually scored 12 goals in knockout stage + Juventus title doesn't count as the real trophy these days. check your facts, dude.

NoLogo

Top 3 should be Salah, Mané and Messi. Maybe Salah should win it this year but then again Mané had the better CL campaign this year I feel. Messi had the best league campaign out of all three though. Hard to say really who out of these three should win it imo.

VVD wouldn't be a bad choice but can't see a CB winning this trophy when you have to compete against attacking players like the three above.

RobinLFC

Cries when Liverpool doesn't get praised
Supports
Liverpool
Top 3 should be Salah, Mané and Messi. Maybe Salah should win it this year but then again Mané had the better CL campaign this year I feel. Messi had the best league campaign out of all three though. Hard to say really who out of these three should win it imo.

VVD wouldn't be a bad choice but can't see a CB winning this trophy when you have to compete against attacking players like the three above.
Largely depends on the AFCON outcome imo. A calender year winning the AFCON and CL whilst also winning PL Golden Boot would be pretty hard to ignore, but I can't see either of them even coming close in the voting tbh.

Bole Top

for me, Salah is the only one I'd never consider since he really didn't to much in CL besides that penalty in final and he missed both Barcelona clashes. I'd rather give both VVD and Mane the award before him. heck, even Ronaldo.

gingerless

for me, Salah is the only one I'd never consider since he really didn't to much in CL besides that penalty in final and he missed both Barcelona clashes. I'd rather give both VVD and Mane the award before him. heck, even Ronaldo.
Says it all really

Dr. StrangeHate

VVD will win it as he had the most impact for his team and the hype train is too big for him to lose.
Even though Messi has been the best player if we consider the whole year, his abject performances against Liverpool and in Copa America count him out.
Bernardo Silva has been excellent but no where as important to City as VVD is to Liverpool and Messi is to Barcelona.
Ronaldo has been below par compared to Messi and VVD and will not be in contention.