Ballon D’or 2019: who will win it? (Alleged leak: Messi 1, Van Dijk 2, Salah 3).

SquishyMcSquish

Supports
Tottenham
Sancho is literally the most overhyped thing that has ever happened to football. United fans rate him higher than a young Messi and CR7 combined.
Age of 18 he managed to get 12 goals and 14 assists in the Bundesliga for a title challenging team, but yeah he's the most overrated player ever. Why do you feel the need to match hyperbole with hyperbole?

He's a brilliant young talent, one of the best around right now. Very few players at his age have been capable of doing what he has.

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
Surely Messi has been the world's best player in 2019.......?

SquishyMcSquish

Supports
Tottenham
As for year, honestly I give the nod to VVD. Best player in the best league in the world this season and was also excellent in the CL and picked up the trophy.

vkd

Supports
liverpool
Age of 18 he managed to get 12 goals and 14 assists in the Bundesliga for a title challenging team, but yeah he's the most overrated player ever. Why do you feel the need to match hyperbole with hyperbole?

He's a brilliant young talent, one of the best around right now. Very few players at his age have been capable of doing what he has.
He's being put in a company that simply makes him look bad. He's no Mbappe level of talent or Dembele for that matter.

Great prospect but nothing extraordinary about him. I hope you understand this.

Sorry to derail the thread.

SquishyMcSquish

Supports
Tottenham
He's being put in a company that simply makes him look bad. He's no Mbappe level of talent or Dembele for that matter.

Great prospect but nothing extraordinary about him. I hope you understand this.

Sorry to derail the thread.

Nah, not really. He's clearly an extraordinary talent for his age. Already more productive than Dembele was at Dortmund (or even Rennes, for that matter) but yeah, he's not on the same level .. whatever, it's your opinion.

He's going to be one of the best players in the world - Messi or Ronaldo level? Very likely not, but I can see him being top 5/top 10 in the world for sure.

Devil81

Should rightly be VVD but it wouldn't surprise me if it's an attacking player that wins the award.

Messi, VVD or Mane maybe

SharpshooterTom

Messi chances are dwindling following a poor summer with Argentina, he'll probably have an amazing CL group stages once again to remind us all of his brilliance which may sway it yet.

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen

Agree, ability-wise, Sancho is even ahead of Mbappe for me. I don't believe the latter will improve much from now on since he's very, very mature. With Sancho it's the opposite. He's still inconsistent and makes many wrong decisions (picking the wrong time for dribbles etc.). Yet he still got that many goals and assists. Imagine what he can accomplish once he gets that on point.

LazyRed-Ninja

Dutchman, who could have chosen any tagline.
So, the voting ended yesterday, (for the Barcelona fans), the match with the Messi hattrick yesterday against Celta Vigo was hours after the voting ended). The obvious question arises, who will grab this years edition?

Van Dijk? Winner of the CL.
Messi, who statistically had/has his best season (and that is outrageous for a five time Ballon d or winner).
Ronaldo who usually wins the ballon d or when he wins the CL

Outsiders?

Last edited:

pregra

Supports
FC Barcelona,Argentina
Should be

1 Messi
2 Mané
3 Van Dijk

pregra

Supports
FC Barcelona,Argentina
Didnt Van dijk win a trophy this year because of journalist votes and Messi FIFA player of the year voted by fans? The Ballon d or is also voted by journalists.
Yes, Van Dijk won the media part of the FIFA The Best voting. He is still the favourite with the bookies, ahead of Messi.

Revan

Assumptionman
VVD will likely walk it, and deservedly so. I don't expect the voting to even be particularly close.

Messi second, one of Mane, Salah and Ronaldo third. Probably in that order.

Treble

Love Ronnie but struggle to see how he deserves to be ahead of Mane and Sterling, let alone of Messi. Van Dijk might get it but I doubt that many other than Liverpool fans would agree with him being better and more deserving than Messi.

pregra

Supports
FC Barcelona,Argentina
Barcelona bottled it in their away leg at anfield.
Don't forget Dembele's misses when already 3-0 up in the first leg. Especially the last one is shocking. But then again, Liverpool would've probably scored one more at Anfield:lol:

Ishdalar

Supports
Barcelona
I'm okay with either, VVD and Messi.

Leo because I think he's the best, and he's been dragging our sorry ass for the whole year, without him this team would be in a crisis similar to the one United are in.

VVD because he's a great defender that also carries weight in the attacking end on set pieces, has won a UCL with Liverpool and is having a great 2019 in the league.

Personally, I'd be happier if Leo wins it because I think he's far above the level of his teammates at Barcelona, I'm not sure if VVD is obviously the best player at Liverpool, but would be a deserved trophy anyway.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
Messi - most goals and assists, win La Liga, but loss CL and very poor Copa tournament.
VVD - best defensive performances over the year, win CL.

Either Messi or VVD. Depends how you see it.

Last edited:

Daysleeper

Supports
Barcelona
It would be a very big surprise if VVD doesn't win it. He's been the best player in the best team in Europe for the last 18 months, and just lead his team winning the main trophy. Unless he gets injured for the next season, the trophy is already his.
Oh you poor summer child

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
Salah? He played way better last year and finished 6th. What a weird inclusion that would be, I'm not even sure that he's currently the best attacker in Liverpool.

LazyRed-Ninja

Dutchman, who could have chosen any tagline.
Salah? He played way better last year and finished 6th. What a weird inclusion that would be, I'm not even sure that he's currently the best attacker in Liverpool.
According to this ‘leak’ there are 4 Liverpool players in the top 10, with Mane at 5th and Allison at 6th. Hazard tops the 10th position. Not sure about the authenticity of this leak though.

Klopper76

"Did you see Fabinho against Red Star & Cardiff?"
Supports
Liverpool
He isn’t.

Swoobs

Supports
Florentina
In my opinion, Allison should be given 3rd, Mane and CR7 are also better than Salah as well and should round up the top 5

Daysleeper

Supports
Barcelona
Messi - most goals and assists, win La Liga, but loss CL and very poor Copa tournament.
VVD - best defensive performances over the year, win CL.

Either Messi or VVD. Depends how you see it.
VVD wasn’t that amazing in CL, liverpool
Conceded a fair bit in the group stage.

messi was the best player in CL, mane was as good as VVD in cl

Schneckerl

The real headscratcher here is Salah being ahead of Mane. Is there any reasonable justification for that? I think for 2019 it's pretty clearcut, no matter how you look at it.

INeedAbsynthe

Supports
Liverpool
I’d argue for VVD not only because of his individual performances but the impact he has had on the rest of defence. He is a major reason why we continue to win games that’s we’d have certainly drew or lost before him. It’s those moments of panic when on the back foot against teams that have suddenly become incredibly resurgent in those later stages of the game that cost us so much before. We keep surviving them now time and time again.

Righteous Steps

The real headscratcher here is Salah being ahead of Mane. Is there any reasonable justification for that? I think for 2019 it's pretty clearcut, no matter how you look at it.
It's not a head scratcher, he's made as many goals and assists in the same period, more key passes also.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
It's not a head scratcher, he's made as many goals and assists in the same period, more key passes also.
It might just be a ‘feeling’ and stats may disprove, but it certainly felt like Mane scored more important goals in the bigger games, and performed to a higher standard in more difficult matches.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Messi is by far the best player, had the best season than anyone and he deserves the award.

Schneckerl

I can't look up the stats right now, but even if they were equal over the whole timeperiod Mane was more crucial in the CL knockout stage so I don't see a reason to prefer Salah. Better in the Africa Cup too if you need another tiebreaker.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
Why don't they just change the description to best player between January and June? It's quite obvious the months after don't count. What the feck is De Ligt doing in the top 10? He's been wank for Juventus. Also, Lewandowski should be in the top 10 over most of them.