Ballon D’or 2019: who will win it? (Alleged leak: Messi 1, Van Dijk 2, Salah 3).

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
don't get me wrong, I've watched about 25 City games in past season and yes, he certainly had great year. I just don't believe a player like him stand a chance against both Messi and Ronaldo and now VVD. I also doubt many of those who'd vote actually follow players so closely (Silva in this case) to see what he brings to the team and make them dismiss amazing individual stats of other players. to put it simply, I think it's mission impossible for him.
Nonsense regarding the bolded.

stepic

why is anyone even talking about the Euro Nations League? it's basically friendlies re-branded. means feck all.

K13

Yes, and he won it for them being topscorer..
Ronaldo scored 3 very good goals and in the fan vote he won 1st, 2nd and 3rd for best goal in the tournament.

Bernardo Da Silva won player of the tournament ie the 2 games not the knockout stages because of his all round play so I think he might be a little upset to hear he had no impact in the wins. Mind you he seems such a humble guy so perhaps not.

There was also a team of the tournament from the 4 participating teams and England's Pickford made the cut as did Ronaldo, Bernardo and 3 other portugese players. So a total of 5 great performances from Portugal - 2 defensive, 2 midfield and 1 forward with all contributing to the wins and performing their roles to a higher standard than the opposition.

Ronaldo deservedly has had a massive impact on your country much like Charlton did with England and Best with Ireland and it is clear you absolutely idolize him. I personally find it really sad that you seem unable to congratulate/respect other players for their level of skill because you assume it will effect Ronaldo's standing.

It is clear that no other player seems to have captured your heart and soul as much as Ronaldo has and whilst you seem to assume that many of us don't respect Ronaldo nothing could be further from the truth. We are very thank full for all he gave us. Just because some of us do not have him down as our 'generational player' does not mean we think badly of him. He is a great role model for all the kids out there who perhaps are not blessed with an abundance of natural talent. He has shown them what hard work can do. I think that is important and a legacy that could change lives.

MUFC OK

Messi fans and their confusion about the Ballon d’or. They insist on talking about the season when the award is for the CALENDAR year. :rolleyes:

Messi bottled the CL from 3 goals up and did absolutely feckall in the Copa America

It’d be a travesty if he got anywhere near winning it
When does voting take place though? Might only be Aug-Oct that's taken into account.

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself
I love Ronaldo, but I don't think he should win it this year. Mind you, I also think he should have won it last year and crazier things have happened. But in order for him to stand a chance, Portugal was to win Nations League, and he has to come out flying in the 19/20 season. Other than that, it will probably go to VVD...

Pocho

Ronaldo, Salah, VVD, Bernado Silva have all had bigger impacts.

Messi and Ronaldo both basically had their league won in 2018.

They did about as well/badly in the CL - 3 goals vs AM is probably harder than 4 against Lyon & United.

Ronaldo won the Euro Nations League whilst being topscorer whilst Messi did a Higuain in the Copa.

VVD basically was the key in the disaster of the year.

B Silva was key in City overturning the 7/10 point deficit.
:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Wheato

Gareth Bale in the red of Manchester United. After a swap deal with Pogba + cash, Bale becomes United's new Adidas poster boy. But against all expectations, people had forgotten how good he actually is, and how easy the PL is for a quality tier 1 player like Bale. He has an absolute stormer of a season, scoring hatricks and overhead kicks, winning everything and generally tearing everybody a new arse. He scoops up the golden boot, player of the season and after lifting his 4th trophy of the season he spontaneously com-busts during his ballon-d'or speech.

And you can take that one to the bank, homeboys.

MUFC OK

If any player other than Messi and Ronaldo scored 51 goals in a season, they would be an absolute certainty to win the Ballon d'or. Its only because Messi has set such high standards that the idea of him not winning it is being discussed.

Daysleeper

Supports
Barcelona
Ronaldo, Salah, VVD, Bernado Silva have all had bigger impacts.

Messi and Ronaldo both basically had their league won in 2018.

They did about as well/badly in the CL - 3 goals vs AM is probably harder than 4 against Lyon & United.

Ronaldo won the Euro Nations League whilst being topscorer whilst Messi did a Higuain in the Copa.

VVD basically was the key in the disaster of the year.

B Silva was key in City overturning the 7/10 point deficit.
The worst post you have ever made my word

Love how you fail to mention Messi scoring two vs Liverpool and this was the poorest Atletico side in years and years while it was the best Liverpool side of the last 30

SportingCP96

emotional range of a teaspoon
Supports
Sporting Clube de Portugal
If any player other than Messi and Ronaldo scored 51 goals in a season, they would be an absolute certainty to win the Ballon d'or. Its only because Messi has set such high standards that the idea of him not winning it is being discussed.
I think it is being discussed differently this season considering how Modric won it last year undeservedly. So if Modric won it last year when Ronaldo was the best in the world then VVD has a shot for his impact.

I think Ronaldo should have won it last year and I think if Messi wins it this year it would not be undeserved either. Though I would not be surprised if VVD won it considering Modric won it last year.

The two best players in the world by some distance still is Ronaldo and Messi

FUN FACT OF THE DAY: I have a Co worker who is both Egyptian and a Liverpool fan and this guy said these beautiful and knowledgeable sentences.

" Salah is the best attacking player in the world ahead of Messi and Ronaldo"
"Salah should win it this year because he deserved it in 2018 for breaking the EPL goals record"
"If Salah wins the AFCON this year then he is up there with Ronaldo and Messi as one of the greatest of all time"

I then asked him "If you just formed a team and got to pick any player in the world to build your team around who would you pick? Ronaldo,Messi, or Salah?" he responds "Salah and it is not even close because Messi and Ronaldo are old"

"If Salah played in Spain he would score 50 a season just like Ronaldo and Messi"

This is an actual human being saying this:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::houllier::houllier::houllier::houllier:

Daysleeper

Supports
Barcelona
I think it is being discussed differently this season considering how Modric won it last year undeservedly. So if Modric won it last year when Ronaldo was the best in the world then VVD has a shot for his impact.

I think Ronaldo should have won it last year and I think if Messi wins it this year it would not be undeserved either. Though I would not be surprised if VVD won it considering Modric won it last year.

FUN FACT OF THE DAY: I have a Co worker who is both Egyptian and a Liverpool fan and this guy said these beautiful and knowledgeable sentences.

"Salah should win it this year because he deserved it in 2018 for breaking the EPL goals record"
"If Salah wins the AFCON this year then he is up there with Ronaldo and Messi as one of the greatest of all time"

I then asked him "If you just formed a team and got to pick any player in the world to build your team around who would you pick? Ronaldo,Messi, or Salah?" he responds "Salah and it is not even close because Messi and Ronaldo are old"

"If Salah played in Spain he would score 50 a season just like Ronaldo and Messi"

This is an actual human being saying this:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::houllier::houllier::houllier::houllier:
Agreed. Salah would also have less goals than Ronaldo if he was in Serie A

el3mel

Hopefully you didn't get a bad idea about us thanks to him. Not all of us are like him I guarantee.:nervous:

Last edited:

el3mel

Gareth Bale in the red of Manchester United. After a swap deal with Pogba + cash, Bale becomes United's new Adidas poster boy. But against all expectations, people had forgotten how good he actually is, and how easy the PL is for a quality tier 1 player like Bale. He has an absolute stormer of a season, scoring hatricks and overhead kicks, winning everything and generally tearing everybody a new arse. He scoops up the golden boot, player of the season and after lifting his 4th trophy of the season he spontaneously com-busts during his ballon-d'or speech.

And you can take that one to the bank, homeboys.
Then you wake up from your sleep and realize that we are still resting at 6th spot of the table.

SportingCP96

emotional range of a teaspoon
Supports
Sporting Clube de Portugal
Hopefully you didn't a bad idea about us thanks to him. Not all of us are like him I guarantee.:nervous:
No never! I just figured he was a very very proud Egyptian until I realized he was saying it all in a straight face ahaha.

el3mel

No never! I just figured he was a very very proud Egyptian until I realized he was saying it all in a straight face ahaha.
Yeah I know this kind of overhyping but actually we laugh at them even more than foreigners anyway so don't worry. :D Most of us are still reasonable down here. :D

Cal?

CR7 fan
why is anyone even talking about the Euro Nations League? it's basically friendlies re-branded. means feck all.
The English FA thought that when the European Cup was founded.

Cal?

CR7 fan
Ronaldo scored 3 very good goals and in the fan vote he won 1st, 2nd and 3rd for best goal in the tournament.

Bernardo Da Silva won player of the tournament ie the 2 games not the knockout stages because of his all round play so I think he might be a little upset to hear he had no impact in the wins. Mind you he seems such a humble guy so perhaps not.

There was also a team of the tournament from the 4 participating teams and England's Pickford made the cut as did Ronaldo, Bernardo and 3 other portugese players. So a total of 5 great performances from Portugal - 2 defensive, 2 midfield and 1 forward with all contributing to the wins and performing their roles to a higher standard than the opposition.

Ronaldo deservedly has had a massive impact on your country much like Charlton did with England and Best with Ireland and it is clear you absolutely idolize him. I personally find it really sad that you seem unable to congratulate/respect other players for their level of skill because you assume it will effect Ronaldo's standing.

It is clear that no other player seems to have captured your heart and soul as much as Ronaldo has and whilst you seem to assume that many of us don't respect Ronaldo nothing could be further from the truth. We are very thank full for all he gave us. Just because some of us do not have him down as our 'generational player' does not mean we think badly of him. He is a great role model for all the kids out there who perhaps are not blessed with an abundance of natural talent. He has shown them what hard work can do. I think that is important and a legacy that could change lives.
I don’t have an issue with those who argue that Messi is better, but I do have an issue with the Messi brigade who dismiss everyone who don’t agree with them as ‘know nothing about football’ or try to be dismissive of Ronaldo by claiming he’s not even top 10 ever or other idiotic comments.

Cal?

CR7 fan
If anyone else did Ronaldo did in 2018, he’d have won it in a landslide.

Cal?

CR7 fan
The worst post you have ever made my word

Love how you fail to mention Messi scoring two vs Liverpool and this was the poorest Atletico side in years and years while it was the best Liverpool side of the last 30
Funny how Atletico is suddenly poorest in years because Ronaldo single handedly dismantled them.

The same Atletico who have finished closer to Barca in 18/19 than the previous 2 seasons.

Ajax were also at their greatest in decades.

The fact is Messi lost against Liverpool and Ronaldo lost against Ajax, that’s why I left out those 2 ties

Just shoot me

I see Frenkie de Jong winning this. He's going to have a playground at Barcelona where all of the opponents are focussing on Messi and Suarez, but he'll be dictating every game from the back

K13

I don’t have an issue with those who argue that Messi is better, but I do have an issue with the Messi brigade who dismiss everyone who don’t agree with them as ‘know nothing about football’ or try to be dismissive of Ronaldo by claiming he’s not even top 10 ever or other idiotic comments.
As a neutral the Portugese, Argentinian, Barcelona & RM/Juventus results are not important to me. So the Messi/Ronaldo debate to me is more about how I feel when I watch either of them play. I am in awe of Ronaldo because of his physical power and the pace he gets on the ball and I am astonished at Messi because he does things on the football pitch that I have not seen before.

You are invested in Ronaldo because of what he brings to your National team and the pride you and other Portugese nationals on this forum have in him is absolutely wonderful. So with a pretty consistent polling average 3-4 out of 10 people considering him to be the best it is certainly enough to suggest he must easily be in the top 10 and more likely top 5 of all time.

To even have this ongoing debate is testament to his natural ability combined with his relentless pursuit of excellence. He has set the benchmark so high when it comes to physicality and his power, timing and movement are exceptional. You don't really need stats to sell him as I think his quality does that and whether he is considered number 1 or number 2 of this generation I am sure he will still be remembered for decades to come when future generations talk about the best. They will have far more footage to watch than we do of the past greats.

The debate over GOAT will probably never be over as each new generation brings a new star into the game. It is fun to debate because the quality is so high.

stepic

The English FA thought that when the European Cup was founded.
dude i think you're the only person on this entire forum that has paid any attention to that tournament. it doesn't mean anything.

Gehrman

Phallic connoisseur, unlike shamans

Never really understood this. Ronaldo has bags of natural talent and always has. Just not as much as Ronaldinho or Maradonna.

el3mel

Never really understood this. Ronaldo has bags of natural talent and always has. Just not as much as Ronaldinho or Maradonna.
Yeah never got this myth. Anyone who watched Ronaldo with United knows he was an explosive talent. His dribbling declined by aging and he became more of a goal scorer but in his peak he was an incredible dribbler and a very much complete player.

Tostao_80

Anyone who claims that Leo Messi hasnt been one of the very best players in the world in 2019 knows nothing about football.

SquishyMcSquish

Supports
Tottenham
dude i think you're the only person on this entire forum that has paid any attention to that tournament. it doesn't mean anything.
Nah some of the Portuguese fans on here convinced themselves it was meaningful too.

It was a bit of fun, a friendly tournie .. but no it won't ever be on par with the European Cup or the World Cup, not even close.

We already have a big international tournament where the best of Europe face each other, so the Nations League is always going to be just a little sideshow. It's not suddenly going to blow up and become super important one day.

UnitedObsession99

I'll give your friend one thing. If United could sign one of those it would be Salah. Main reason being he is 5 years younger than Messi and Messi is 32 so no guarantee how many more stand out years you get from him.

After that he is talking mostly crap. Salah had a chance last year, 44 goals was hugely impressive. Arguably deserved it more than Modric, but still not as much as Ronaldo deserved it. This year Messi has been twice as good as Salah!

Winning AFCON is just not that impressive. The teams are not greatly competitive at the moment. Quality levels pretty low as a whole.

Salah might just score 50 in Spain...! Madrid or Barca are cheat mode ahead of the competition, aside from Athletico. He has the attributes. Hazard will be a good gage this year.

K13

He does absolutely and it was not mean't with any disrespect towards his wonderful natural talent just that he has probably eeked every possible ounce out of himself to be regarded so highly against genius talent. I personally think that makes him a wonderful role model and inspiration.

zkap

Supports
Barça
The Ballon d'Or is a popularity contest, meant to belong to the most prominent player from the club that won the biggest trophy. With that in mind, a Liverpool player is winning this, so I'm guessing Van Dijk or Salah. Van Dijk seems to have the PR machine behind him now.

Schneckerl

In the Liverpool v Barca games Van Dijk didnt look good for the first two goals, Messi scored twice, but somehow Van Dijk outplayed him because his teammates scored four goals at Anfield.

Please explain this logic.

vkd

Supports
liverpool
Mbappe, Sancho, De Ligt are the future contenders. Van Dijk probably wins the next one.
Sancho is literally the most overhyped thing that has ever happened to football. United fans rate him higher than a young Messi and CR7 combined.