Ballon d'Or 2023 | Messi wins for 8th time

Gehrman

Phallic connoisseur, unlike shamans
Can someone conjure up a good tease story with Messi having foreplay with his wife revealing his 8 golden balls?

RedMessiah

I know very well how that event works and I know how it works behinds scenes. Don't worry about that.

I think Messi is one of worlds best, if not the best, footballer of all time. That doesn't mean he should get awards just because he is Messi.

Can you tell my why he got it? Was he best player last year? Was it because of World Cup? Because I can give you a lot of players winning more than he did last year. We got a ManCity player winning pretty much everything there is to win last year, inclusive World Cup. I'm not saying he is better player but if you count trophies. If you look at quality he isn't that Messi he used to be, so he couldn't win on quality. So why did he win? I want to here your opinion.
The same reason that Cannavaro got it in 2006, Ronaldo in 2002 when he played only 10 games outside the World Cup: he was the best player of the most important tournament in world football. "If you look at quality, he couldn't win on quality". Yes he can, did you see his World Cup performance? Could Haaland or Mbappe have won it? Sure. But Messi did, and it was decided by a lot of journalists and coaches of different countries.

You don't like it, your problem. But saying: "nobody cares about this award" is just a 10 year old child crying because the player he doesn't like won the most important individual award in world football... for the 8th time.

KeanoMagicHat

Pretty sure as per France Football’s criteria, the date the award was being given for excludes the world cup period. It states explicitly on their website that it’s from December 22nd till sometime in June/July after the season has ended.

I really have a hard timed deducing what grounds Messi is being given the award for.

I mean Di Maria who was fantastic at the World Cup and probably the MOTM in the final wasn’t even nominated…

And for the record, I don’t think halaand should have won it either.
You probably think Ronaldo should have won it, knowing you.

RedRocket9908

From City's squad last season Mahrez, De Bruyne, Gundogden, and Rodri were all probably played a bigger and more important part than Haaland in City's treble so should have been ahead of him.

With De Bruyne's hard work City and Haaland especially would have scored a lot less goals, It was Mahrez goals in the Semi that got City to the FA Cup final, it was Gundogdun's brace in the FA Cup final that won it for them, and it was Rodri's performance and goal in the European Cup final that completed the treble.

Last edited:

KeanoMagicHat

From City's squad last season Mahrez, De Bruyne, Gundogden, and Rodri were all probably played a bigger and more important part than Haaland in City's treble so should have been ahead of him.

With De Bruyne's hard work City and Haaland especially would have scored a lot less goals, It was Mahrez goals in the Semi that got City to the FA Cup final, it was Gundogdun's brace in the FA Cup final that won it for them, and it was Rodri's performance and goal in the European Cup final that completed the treble.
Not really, Mahrez didn't play in the finals for a start. 52 goals in 53 games didn't matter apparently. Nobody has scored more goals for City in a season or got particularly close to that, despite the many quality forwards that have played there since Abu Dhabi took over in the past 10-15 years. He scored 12 goals in 11 Champions League games too, that was not an important part of the treble-winning team? People have impossible standards.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
I am very ok with the World Cup having a huge weight in who actually wins the ballon dor. It's the most iconic and most important tournament, happens every 4 years, has very little to do with modern coaching systems that have a huge impact on actual individuals and is the ultimate prize for all. Adds to the legacy of it to make the Ballon D'Or heavily reliant on how a player did in the world cup.

RedRocket9908

Not really, Mahrez didn't play in the finals for a start. 52 goals in 53 games didn't matter apparently. Nobody has scored more goals for City in a season or got particularly close to that, despite the many quality forwards that have played there since Abu Dhabi took over in the past 10-15 years. He scored 12 goals in 11 Champions League games too, that was not an important part of the treble-winning team? People have impossible standards.
You are mentioning the goals but completely ignoring the hard work from the players around him that created those goals for him and without those players and pens he would have scored a lot less goals, those players I mentioned all were more deserving than Haaland.

He mau have got 12 in 11 in the Champions League but 5 of those were against RB Leipzig at home where their defence and keeper was terrible and gave him some absolute gifts.

Joel Miller

seems like haaland will never win a ballon dor in a world cup year. :lol:
Not really. If there’s no real serious standout individual at a World Cup, and Haaland actually shows up in the 2 or 3 biggest CL games or the FA cup final or whatever then he’d probably get it. I think a lot of people are confusing the Ballon D’or with the golden boot award.

The absolute meltdown this has caused and the amount of grief it induces in people is something to behold though. He won the biggest prize in world sport and he did it with a really iconic individual tournament full of iconic moments of individual brilliance. How can anyone really be surprised that he’s done it, especially when he’d been brilliant for his club leading up to the WC too.

And is it just me or is there an outcry nearly every time Messi wins it? I swear it really feels like people with an agenda or leanings towards another player are always grouping together to champion whichever player they believe has the best chance of beating Messi. This year it was Haaland, a master goal poacher who didn’t really poach any goals in City’s biggest games, bizarre. Previously we’ve seen the outcry Sneijder/Ronaldo/Van Dijk/Lewandowski didn’t win it.

I think it’s nice that this will be Messi’s last major individual award, it means we’ll no longer have to put up with fans flipping their lid and trying to invent crazy reasons for why he never should have won it.

Gehrman

That was my point. Has Messi been the best player in the world last season?
For me its a toss up. Between Messi, Haaland and Mpabbe. Messi's played more for PSG as the guy who delivers the service than ever and many passes that werent converted in goals were sublime. But i wouldnt have protested either if Haaland or Mpabbe won it. Essentially for me there wasnt any single footballer who was clearly the best in the world last season.

dan1509

Messi 2022 2023 season: 27 goals, 26 assists

G/A with PSG against:
4 G/A vs Nantes
3 G/A vs clermont foot
3 G/A vs Lille
3 G/A vs Toulouse
3 G/A vs Ajaccio
3 G/A vs Nice
3 G/A vs Marseille
2 G/A vs Brest
2 G/A vs Troyes
2 G/A vs Angers
1 G/A vs Lyon
1 G/A vs Auxxere

Just posting this so people here have context when his fanboys chime in with their G/A statistics when comparing him to Haaland's season. Haaland had 36 premier league goals (a record) and 12 CL goals for reference.

Son

According to some, Messi should have only won 1 Ballon D'Or, perhaps 2 times in his entire career :lol: . Everytime he wins one, people complain there were better players. 10 Sneijder, 11/12 Xavi/Iniesta, 19 van Dijk, 23 Haaland, a few times Ronaldo in between. How dares Messi to win the trophy for the best player in the world.
The funny thing is if it were based purely on the best player in the world he’d be in double figures by now.

Son

G/A with PSG against:
4 G/A vs Nantes
3 G/A vs clermont foot
3 G/A vs Lille
3 G/A vs Toulouse
3 G/A vs Ajaccio
3 G/A vs Nice
3 G/A vs Marseille
2 G/A vs Brest
2 G/A vs Troyes
2 G/A vs Angers
1 G/A vs Lyon
1 G/A vs Auxxere

Just posting this so people here have context when his fanboys chime in with their G/A statistics when comparing him to Haaland's season.
Let’s see Haaland bag 20+ goals and assists from deeper and win a World Cup with some of the greatest showings ever when he’s 35-36

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
It's not about impossible standards. It's just a stupid train of thought.

Haaland was City's best player last season. Period. It was a team effort but remember when Pep excoriated his team for being happy flowers in the middle of the season? That wasn't aimed at Haaland, who was the best of a mediocre (by their standards) bunch in the first half of the season.

KeanoMagicHat

Haaland was City's best player last season. Period. It was a team effort but remember when Pep excoriated his team for being happy flowers in the middle of the season? That wasn't aimed at Haaland, who was the best of a mediocre (by their standards) bunch in the first half of the season.
Yeah there's been a lot of weird stuff said about Messi and Haaland in this thread, when they deserve to be 1 and 2 in the Ballon d'Or this year. Haaland had a brilliant year and deserved it most years, but Messi's World Cup was a once-off great tournament that deserved to be rewarded.

Gehrman

The funny thing is if it were based purely on the best player in the world he’d be in double figures by now.
Its because if Messi scores like Pele, dribbles like Maradonna and passes like Cryuff its not enough unless he wins the CL. At least it seems like alot people think like that.

Swoobs

Supports
Florentina
Its because if Messi scores like Pele, dribbles like Maradonna and passes like Cryuff its not enough unless he wins the CL. At least it seems like alot people think like that.
Just people with agendas and massive amounts of copiums.

When messi was the best player but did not win enough trophies, “he did not win xxyy”.

When he did win the biggest trophies with the most iconic performances, “but he was not the best player”.

When he was the best player and won big trophies, “but its rigged, corruption, have the best team around him, not as good as his own prime lul”

Bunch of jokes

RedRocket9908

But Haaland wasnt City's best player last season, his off the ball work is poor and he went missing too often in big games failing to get a single goal or assist against Chelsea or Liverpool.

KDB was probably City's best player last season as he always put a good shift in regardless off the opposition.

Joel Miller

I see Ronaldo’s kept it classy posting his laughing emojis on a post by a Spanish journalist claiming Messi’s been robbing ballon d’or’s and should only have 5. Guy should say nothing it’s a far better look!

red.knight

G/A with PSG against:
4 G/A vs Nantes
3 G/A vs clermont foot
3 G/A vs Lille
3 G/A vs Toulouse
3 G/A vs Ajaccio
3 G/A vs Nice
3 G/A vs Marseille
2 G/A vs Brest
2 G/A vs Troyes
2 G/A vs Angers
1 G/A vs Lyon
1 G/A vs Auxxere

Just posting this so people here have context when his fanboys chime in with their G/A statistics when comparing him to Haaland's season. Haaland had 36 premier league goals (a record) and 12 CL goals for reference.
Haaland is nothing but a goal scorer. Messi is much more than that. Man City without Haaland would still win. Argentina without Messi would not win.

They have an award for top goal scorer, you shouldn't be so angry about this.

rimaldo

All about the essence
Supports
arse
Can someone conjure up a good tease story with Messi having foreplay with his wife revealing his 8 golden balls?
antonela: “for once, can’t you just make love to me like i’m your wife? i’m tired of having to wear this portugal kit.”

leo: “you know it doesn’t work unless you’ve slicked your hair back and walk around the room with your chest puffed out, like your farts don’t stink.”

antonela: “none of this is healthy. you’ve got the world cup, you’ve won more d’ors, why do you still need this?”

leo: “oh feck, it’s going down. remember that game in 2017 when i held my shirt up after scoring in stoppage time, you piece of shit?”

antonela: “that’s it, i’m out. finish yourself off into that thobe with the number 7 printed on it. again. and don’t think i’m washing it. i’m sick of washing it.”

leo: “oh ffs, i’ve spent ages painting my Travellers gold and moulding 6 extra balls from play-doh. i was looking forward to them bouncing off your chin, cris.”

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
But Haaland wasnt City's best player last season, his off the ball work is poor and he went missing too often in big games failing to get a single goal or assist against Chelsea or Liverpool.

KDB was probably City's best player last season as he always put a good shift in regardless off the opposition.
https://www.mancity.com/news/mens/etihad-player-of-the-season-winner-announced-63822162

Chelsea finished 12th last year. Are you just randomly selecting games he didn't score in and labeling them as big games? He scored and assisted against Arsenal, Manchester United, Bayern Munich, Leipzig... Those games don't count?

KDB was not City's best player last season. And if he was, it wouldn't be because of the "shift he put in", if any City player deserves the title of "shifts put in" it's Bernardo Silva

Lord SInister

where grasses are green and girls are pretty
I see Ronaldo’s kept it classy posting his laughing emojis on a post by a Spanish journalist claiming Messi’s been robbing ballon d’or’s and should only have 5. Guy should say nothing it’s a far better look!
Ronaldo is a pure hearted soul robbed by fraud Messi who rigs and buys referees.

According to certain section of Cristiano fans, apart from 2009 UCL, he deserves none of his Ballon Dor.

2010 Sneijder
2011 Xavi
2012 Iniesta
2015 Neymar
2019 Van Dijk
2021 Lewandowski
2023 Halland.

Taribo's Gap

He was the story of the World Cup.
The stories of the last year in football were Messi finally winning the World Cup + his move to and hot start in MLS, Ronaldo joining the Saudi League followed by other star players and the potential rise of that League or City finally winning the CL as part of a treble.

Everyone always insists that City are nothing and nobody cares what they do and says the same for the Saudi League, so it really probably is Messi as the story of the year overall.

brunoag4

I would say KDB was the best player for Manchester City with Rodri being a close second as agreed by most in football forums. In the finals, Haaland was the usual suspect, easily the worst performer.

I would say if Kane deal happened, Kane would easily surpass Haaland with that City set-up.

WhoAreYou?

Supports
Barcelona
In the quiet embrace of their cozy living room, Lionel gently clasped his wife's hand, leading her gently to a display case that housed his cherished trophies. Antonella's soft gasp reverberated through the room as she absorbed the grandeur of the scene before her.

"I wanted you to see my balls up close," Lionel whispered, his voice barely audible, "to truly comprehend what they mean to me."

Eyes alight with wonder, Antonella responded, "They serve as a testament to your unwavering dedication, Leo. Each one speaks of your relentless pursuit of excellence."

Lionel's voice, tinged with a profound tenderness, resonated in the room as he confessed, "They are a reminder of the struggles endured, the victories celebrated, and the unwavering support of those who have believed in me." With a gentle touch, Antonella conveyed her unwavering faith, "I believe in you, Leo. These trophies, they're not just a part of your journey; they're intricately woven into our shared narrative. They remind me of the very strength and passion that captivated me from the start."

A soft smile graced Lionel's lips, a reflection of the depth of his affection. "You, Antonella, you're my greatest triumph. With you standing beside me, these gilded memories radiate even more brightly."

In that moment, Leo's balls shimmered in the gentle glow of the room, a silent witness to the depth of their bond.

Gehrman

In the quiet embrace of their cozy living room, Lionel gently clasped his wife's hand, leading her gently to a display case that housed his cherished trophies. Antonella's soft gasp reverberated through the room as she absorbed the grandeur of the scene before her.

"I wanted you to see my balls up close," Lionel whispered, his voice barely audible, "to truly comprehend what they mean to me."

Eyes alight with wonder, Antonella responded, "They serve as a testament to your unwavering dedication, Leo. Each one speaks of your relentless pursuit of excellence."

Lionel's voice, tinged with a profound tenderness, resonated in the room as he confessed, "They are a reminder of the struggles endured, the victories celebrated, and the unwavering support of those who have believed in me." With a gentle touch, Antonella conveyed her unwavering faith, "I believe in you, Leo. These trophies, they're not just a part of your journey; they're intricately woven into our shared narrative. They remind me of the very strength and passion that captivated me from the start."

A soft smile graced Lionel's lips, a reflection of the depth of his affection. "You, Antonella, you're my greatest triumph. With you standing beside me, these gilded memories radiate even more brightly."

In that moment, Leo's balls shimmered in the gentle glow of the room, a silent witness to the depth of their bond.
:lol::lol::lol: Golden!

Camara

Supports
FC Porto
Ronaldo is a pure hearted soul robbed by fraud Messi who rigs and buys referees.
The irony given the Barcelona alegations :smirk:

According to certain section of Cristiano fans, apart from 2009 UCL, he deserves none of his Ballon Dor.

2010 Sneijder
2011 Xavi
2012 Iniesta
2015 Neymar
2019 Van Dijk
2021 Lewandowski
2023 Halland.
According to my opinion it should have been:

2008: Ronaldo
2009: Messi
2010: Sneijder
2011: Messi
2012: Messi / Ronaldo (Messi scored more goals but only won Copa del Rey, Ronaldo scored 30 less goals but won La Liga and reached semis of the Euro)
2013: Ribery / Robben
2014: Ronaldo (broke the CL record of goals, benefited from Germany winning the WC with a very balanced team with no one really shining individually above the others)
2015: Messi
2016: Ronaldo
2017: Ronaldo
2018: Modric
2019: Van Dijk
2021: Lewandowski
2022: Benzema
2023: Haaland

Cloud7

I wonder what the Venn diagram of those saying Haaland should have won it, and Ronaldo fanboys, would look like

brunoag4

I wonder what the Venn diagram of those saying Haaland should have won it, and Ronaldo fanboys, would look like
Since Ronaldo has been irrelevant for a long time, they have become the biggest supporters of Lewandowski, Mbappe in the WC, and not Haaland. The tragic thing is they think nobody notices them.

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
The irony given the Barcelona alegations :smirk:

According to my opinion it should have been:

2008: Ronaldo
2009: Messi
2010: Sneijder
2011: Messi
2012: Messi / Ronaldo (Messi scored more goals but only won Copa del Rey, Ronaldo scored 30 less goals but won La Liga and reached semis of the Euro)
2013: Ribery / Robben
2014: Ronaldo (broke the CL record of goals, benefited from Germany winning the WC with a very balanced team with no one really shining individually above the others)
2015: Messi
2016: Ronaldo
2017: Ronaldo
2018: Modric
2019: Van Dijk
2021: Lewandowski
2022: Benzema
2023: Haaland
What are your criteria?