Barca agree £6m fee for Pique

davisjw

"Eto'o, Pique?"

I'm hoping if people say that out loud it might make more sense :nervous:
I didn't mean trade if you're referring to me... I meant that perhaps we've been talking to Barca about Eto'o and they said "lookit you sell us Pique and we'll favor you over the mass of other clubs wanting him"

I'd take selling Pique for decent money to get on more favorable grounds for a potential buying of Eto'o from Barca..

reelworld

Good business.

Can't understand the rage about this transfer IMO. He got two of the best defenders in Europe in front of him. He's never going to get a chance.

Cold_Boy

Another youngster fails to make it from the academy or reserves.

Decent price though if we are getting 6 mil pounds.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
Good deal. Thought I would expect more like 6-8M. But can't see him signing a new cotract though. There's no way he could start ahead of Rio, Vidic and even Brown in next few years time.

Lot 49

Doom
I like Pique but we don't need him at all and if he wants to get his career going then he has to leave tbh, Ferdinand and Vidic are a great partnership and have the positions sewn up for at least the next season or so.

The money is alright, Pique has good potential but I agree with the people saying he has too many weaknesses in his game. He's got the pace of Vidic but is nowhere near as good at the basics of defending and is not as aerially dominant as a guy his size should be. Plus my misses clearly fancied him and I was getting jealous. Make sure whoever we sign in the summer is not a ruggedly handsome Spanish giant please Fergie.

Chris H

Video Posting God
"Eto'o, Pique?"

I'm hoping if people say that out loud it might make more sense :nervous:
I didn't mean trade if you're referring to me...
I think he was referring to the fact that spoken aloud, it sounds an awful lot like "Et tu, Brute?" ("Even you, Brutus?"), from Shakespeare's Julius Caesar.

Quite clever actually.

Denis' cuff

as Broph said, Pique wan't going to sign another contract the way things were going and Ferg wasn't about to risk him in the team even if we had an injury to Rio or Vidic. Despite his limitations (which aren't actually all that) Wes was always gonna be the shoe-in for a CH fill-in. There are such narrow margins for error in today's PL we can't afford to risk an inexperienced player at the back. Gone are the days when the title race didn'st start to take shape until Christmas.

In all, 6mil isn't bad.

Rossi, I feel should've beeen given a run though. He'd've definitely got games this last season.

Dreaded

£6m really is great money for a young CB with only 12 months left on his contract. Well done again SAF! Pique hadn't a chance of getting first team appearances for the next 2 or 3 years with Brown, Vidic, Rio and Gary

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
6m is a fair deal. Pique was good (at Evans level) but its evident that one between him and the Irish man would leave. Now its Evans turn to impress.

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
I hate it when we do this, we have had 2 of the most promising players in World Football and we have sold them both together for a measly £13m, yet we are forced to fork over around £17m EACH for Nani and Anderson.

Come on United, stand your ground.
Except our two weren't really two of the most promising player in the world football.

moses

Can't We Just Be Nice?
Staff
Not at all, if said youngster had Pique's potential and we were getting him for that only much money i'd probably be celebrating a magnificent piece of business on our part. Particularly baring in mind the other club would have continued his development while he was there.

As for the Rooney comment, you're mad if you think he would leave for that uch with only a year left!

That said the contract situation would have undoubtedly made Pique's fee shorter. Still feel its low though.
find an example of a better fee for a player with so few appearances and a short contract and I'll believe you ... and as for Rooney , 10 million is a bit low maybe but you wouldn't get much more if only a year left and wanted to go , again you won't find many examples ....

the bottom line here is we nicked a promising youth player, stunted his career and sold him back to the club that spent money on his early football education ... I don't think we're even in the top two of aggrieved parties here ... whinin cnuts

Anduin

£6m is a very decent prize with Pique only having one year of his contract left. Last year some club offered us around £7m if memory serves me right, and I was really glad we didn't sell him back then. With Rio and Vidic probably forming the best CB partnership in the Premier League, he wouldn't be able to break through for quite a while.
I guess both Rossi and Pique want(ed) to leave and I'm sure Rossi now knows that we would have got very much playing time this season - well, that's football business, you never know what's going to happen. Oh and just to compare some transfer fees, 21-year old Spanish centre back Ezequiel Garay (was linked to us and Barcelona as well) is on his way to Real Madrid, the fee is believed to be in the region of £8m.

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
£6m for the futur number 1 CB in the world

what a fecking joke !

We should have extended his contract last year :rolleyes:
He will never be a numer 1 central back in the world and certainly wouldn't develop into one at United, having two world class defenders ahead of him in picking order.

CnutOfAllCnuts

Bald Boring Cnut
Seems like a sensible solution for all parties.

For those watching Barca more than me, will he get regular football there?

Feed Me

I'm hungry
Realistically Pique isn't that good. £6 million reasonable. Lets see if Evans can make the grade. He will certainly be coming back to us now.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
But hes looked a good defender so far. One of the better ones around that young. Looked comfortable on the ball too. Isnt he more talented than someone like Oshea? Could have been our second choice for awhile

SmashedHombre

Memberus Anonymous & Legendus
Shame, I liked the look of Pique. Had high hopes for the lad. Still barca isn't exactly a step down so fair play to him. It was inevitable really though, nobody is going to break up the Rio-Vidic partnership any time soon

CnutOfAllCnuts

Bald Boring Cnut
But hes looked a good defender so far. One of the better ones around that young. Looked comfortable on the ball too. Isnt he more talented than someone like Oshea? Could have been our second choice for awhile
Yes, it is quite possible that he is more talented than O'Shea. Don't see the relevance in that comparison though....

Feed Me

I'm hungry
I think Pique is too ponderous, not aggressive or quick enough for English football and carries a little too much bulk. Evans is the more promising of the two.

Founder of IhateMakeleles.org and Gourcufffanboysa

Crustanoid

What's our one bright CB future looking like if Evans goes? Is there anyone else coming through the ranks?

:(

reelworld

Seasoned pro Wes Brown who can cover right back and centreback, and part of probably the best defence in Premiership isn't worthy to retained compared to Pique ?

CnutOfAllCnuts

Bald Boring Cnut
I've seen worse talents sold for more cash upfront. On top of the fact we are letting a great young talent go. While keeping some men who will never get better.
A player who seemingly wants to leave, because he wants regular football, with one year left on his contract. How much do you think such a player is worth?

Question re. those kept on compared to Pique are twofold:

1. Are they better NOW?

and

2. Do they want to leave, like Pique?

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
Not for me.
why? Wes had always been a loyal servant and one of the best defenders in our team. He has at least 4 good years left in him and had never complained when sent on the bench. Pique may one day be a good defender while Wes IS a good defender. Thats the difference.