Barca could sell naming rights to fund Messi's £80m bonus. Wage bill climbs to £430m

Denis79

If someone offered me a 20 year old Messi for the naming rights of Old Trafford, I would in all honesty decline, even if it only was for a few years. Dear me what a joke Barcelona are if this is true...

serghei

Supports
FC Barcelona
Breaking news. Barcelona will make Messi the leader of the new Catalan Republic should they become independent.[Daily Mail]

That's crazy. No player should be given that. Barca are idiots. What does Messi know about politics? He's a convicted money laundering dude. Crazy, if true.

Green_Red

Next is players start selling their naming rights. Imagine Messi getting paid to change his name to "Always Coca-Cola". Commentators would be forced to say his name, or not say his name, whatever was the case.

"and this years winner of the Balon D'or is Always Coca-Cola"

Classical Mechanic

Next is players start selling their naming rights. Imagine Messi getting paid to change his name to "Always Coca-Cola". Commentators would be forced to say his name, or not say his name, whatever was the case.

"and this years winner of the Balon D'or is Always Coca-Cola"
Like the he boxer Medgoen Singsurat, sold his name to a battery company and became known as Fashan 3K Battery.

King7Eric

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
This will tell a lot about the type of person Messi is. He could easily renegotiate a deal better for both parties. Doubt it like.
It tells me he's a smart person. The same as every guy like Rooney, Keane etc who's tried to get the biggest package that they can get. Why should he not make as much money of the back of his talent as he can? If the employers think it's unfair they don't have to pay it.

Hawks2008

I don't get the problem? Messi is priceless to Barcelona and if 80m is what it takes they're gonna pay up.

Jim Beam

Gets aroused by men in low socks
It's a ridiculous amount of money, but then again they don't have Neymar on their payroll anymore. This story is probably bollocks.

barmyarmy

Off topic but many of our fans blame rooney for threatening to leave the club and his wages. Atleast he never signed a contract renewal and wanted bonuses every 6 months to stay at the club

Sparky10Legend

You're suggesting Barca should... let Messi go. The best player in the world and arguably ever. And resign themselves to not challenging Madrid in the near future.

Ok.
Yes, because you have to draw the line somewhere. If he said 5m a week , clearly, you would have to say no.

At circa 1.5m a week.....I'd say no.

Sparky10Legend

Off topic but many of our fans blame rooney for threatening to leave the club and his wages. Atleast he never signed a contract renewal and wanted bonuses every 6 months to stay at the club
He was never good enough to demand that kind of deal.

Don't forget for 6-7 years he was one of the top five paid players in the world.

barmyarmy

He was never good enough to demand that kind of deal.

Don't forget for 6-7 years he was one of the top five paid players in the world.
I was pointing out to people who still think rooney is not our club legend just because he threatened to leave. I want to know their opinion regarding messi for the very same reason

Last edited:

RedStarUnited

Do people realise that Barcelona have had Messi for over a decade. If you told any chairman or owner now that they can keep a player of Messis level and consistency for the next 10 years, they will sign a blank cheque for him.

Jim Beam

Gets aroused by men in low socks
I was pointing out to people who still think rooney is not our club legend just because he threatened to leave. I want to know their opinion regarding messi for the very same reason
If he was producing Messi numbers some fans wouldn't mind renaming Old Trafford to Auld Slapper.

andycolegangstainnit

The smart thing for Barca to do would have been to sell Messi to PSG/City instead of selling Neymar. With that money they could have easily bought Mbappe and Dembele. Neymar, Mbappe, Dembele and Suarez would have them set for next decade. Now they are struggling to make ends meet for a single player who is a great player but just not someone they can afford to keep.
I think you are spot on. Messi is still the best player in the world - Ronaldo a distance behind him - and a few others behind him. However, that's a pretty awesome quartet that would be good for five years and Mbappe and Dembele for ten. They were lucky to get past PSG in the UCL last season and in the Paris game they were completely overran. They need to strengthen their midfield. Iniesta and Busquets not what they were and they could do with a Matic/Pogba duo in there.

McGrathsipan

Dawn’s less famous husband
Greedy?

He's the best player on the planet. He's upheld is end of the bargain, so now they have to give him that 'loyalty' final big paying contract.
If anyone deserves to come with a premium, it's him.

Having said that, he's crippling that club. Makes you wonder who, outside of the doped clubs, could even afford him.
how much money does he need? Greedy little tax dodger.

Sell him and be done with it -

walkinhop

You're suggesting Barca should... let Messi go. The best player in the world and arguably ever. And resign themselves to not challenging Madrid in the near future.

Ok.
Wouldn't Madrid have to live with Ronaldo going/getting worse with age too? Players get older and you need to transition, which arguable, is what Barca didn't plan for at all. Losing Neymar scared them into panic-buying and, if they give in to Messi's demands, into panic-renewing.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
I don't really blame players for milking the clubs, but not to the point where they have to work out how to get more money. That just filters through to other bullshit happening, usually at the detriment of the fans.

Woodzy

Barca are backed into a corner here with the bonus, because another club could sign him on a free and pay it and would still see it as being being than a transfer fee.

Loke

Supports
Arsenal
Messi is doing the right thing. He has the talent to ask that much. So if Barca don't meet his demands he will just leave to elsewhere as there will be others willing to meet said demands.

You people are forgetting that he is the face of the club and their biggest marketing tool as well, so they would stand to lose more than just the best player in the world.

It's no different than someone offering you more money to do the same job that you are uniquely doing for your company driving the business, keeping it competitive and you going up to your boss and saying that other company is offering you more money for the same job so either meet it or you're off.

Everyone in all walks of life is always looking to make more money, it just happens that footballers money is calculated in the millions whilst us peasants do it in the thousands.

cyberman

Remember when Barca fans piled on Neymar and slaughtered him for moving to PSG for the money?
Good times.

Smores

Messi is doing the right thing. He has the talent to ask that much. So if Barca don't meet his demands he will just leave to elsewhere as there will be others willing to meet said demands.

You people are forgetting that he is the face of the club and their biggest marketing tool as well, so they would stand to lose more than just the best player in the world.

It's no different than someone offering you more money to do the same job that you are uniquely doing for your company driving the business, keeping it competitive and you going up to your boss and saying that other company is offering you more money for the same job so either meet it or you're off.

Everyone in all walks of life is always looking to make more money, it just happens that footballers money is calculated in the millions whilst us peasants do it in the thousands.
I think generally footballers are expected to hold a little more love for their club than the average joe does for their company. If we just take every player as a mercenary then I'd agree with you.

Personally i think there's a balance, players know that their money is sourced from the fans and they only enjoy such wages because of the fans. They also know that at some point receiving such ridiculous fees damage the club, can't say whether that's the case here.

GBBQ

Its an (alleged) 80 mil bonus paid over the term of his 4 year contract. When the alternative is losing him on a free I don't see it as a huge thing. But when they have lost neymar's wages off the book and received 220 mil up front for him from PSG I doubt that there is a need to sell the stadium name due to Messi, probably it was always the plan given the cost of a new stadium?

Beachryan

More helpful with spreadsheets than Phurry
Kind of a weird one. Personally, I have to imagine Barca will be in a better position in 2 year's time if they sold him at a stupid, stupid price and then spent the proceeds on 5 or 6 younger players to improve the squad. For those 2 years though, Messi obviously offers more.

Find it surprising that a player that has been there his whole adult life isn't a bit more loyal and pragmatic. He's made legacy money already, and it's not like sponsors aren't going to continue paying him for the rest of his life, not to mention investment returns and other ventures he could get into as a young man with huge capital.

He seems to be putting his 'beloved' club at real risk by asking so much, not to mention that presumably he'd also have a better time of it for his remaining years if he freed up some funds to buy better teammates.

JustFootballFan

Thinks Balotelli & Pogba look the same
Supports
Liverpool
I guess that means he has not signed the contract yet, that he signed six months ago, two months ago, one month ago.....

They're idiots to have agreed to it and hes within his rights to hold them to it. They should have called his bluff on the renegotiation instead of seemingly ceding to whatever ridiculous demands he gave them. I don't think he'd want to leave any more than they would want him to. His legacy is cemented at Barcelona, why take the risk that he might not be as good elsewhere.

JustFootballFan

Thinks Balotelli & Pogba look the same
Supports
Liverpool
This is what I have been saying for years the best players in the world should do, once they have reached financial security. Why agree to be sold by your team in the last year of your contract for upwards of €25M, when you can bank all the money yourself in 12 months (or at least a large part). We see it more and more. Messi, Ozil and Sanchez right now. It´s just smart.

Red_Aaron

i guess if anyone is worth it then he is.
Wages at 84% of turnover though! Wow, i'm no business expert but that suggests to me a potential disaster, esp if the political issues really get nasty

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite

No he's not. The right thing will be to have a term that both him and the Club, that has made him like today, to be left happy. This whole thing, seems like Messi has treated his club like his bitch.

If Messi wants or needs more money, he could get them from sponsors or other outside sources.

Last edited: