Barca could sell naming rights to fund Messi's £80m bonus. Wage bill climbs to £430m

Skills

Snitch
This will tell a lot about the type of person Messi is. He could easily renegotiate a deal better for both parties. Doubt it like.
Why would he? He's the best ever in his job and he deserves every single penny they will pay him.

ghagua

Now Ronaldo is going to be upset, hurt and confused. He loves United and seriously wants to end his career here because he gets more respect in England and all that.

Last edited:

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
With this demand, does it show how much Messi love Barcelona FC?

Sparky10Legend

THIS is the deal where Barca , in my view, should shy away from.

Circa £75m per season all in? Nah, not at this stage of his career.

Zlaatan

Parody Account
Some people in here make it sound as if Barcelona were willing to give him a £5.40 signing bonus but Messi is so greedy that he made them ruin their entire financial structure and bump it up to £80mil instead..
Don't you realize that there are two parties involved here and neither of them would sign the dotted line if it wasn't acceptable and beneficial for both of them?

Robertd0803

Imagine the fun they'll have if his level drops off a cliff anytime soon. Trying to shift him on 500-600k a week, with a 4-5 year contract!
Im fairly sure some jumped up bunch of muppets in blue would sign him quite happily.

Also if Barca are stupid enough to pay this/rename the stadium/sell their soul for Messi then thats their idiotic decision.

Last edited:

VBI

Supports
Celtic, Barca
The opening link says "Daily Mail".

As heroically incompetent as the Barca board are, they aren't THIS stupid. This is National Enquirer stuff. "Barca in secret plan to splice Messi and Velociraptor DNA! Shocking Interview with Leo Di Caprio!"

Come on, playa.

Amazing to read they are so poorly managed finacially. 84% of revenue going on wages is not sustainable - no wonder they want to move to the premier league and get a slice of that pie haha

stepic

THIS is the deal where Barca , in my view, should shy away from.

Circa £75m per season all in? Nah, not at this stage of his career.
You're suggesting Barca should... let Messi go. The best player in the world and arguably ever. And resign themselves to not challenging Madrid in the near future.

Ok.

KingMinger22

City >>> United. Moaning twat
I wonder if it's be better for them in the long term to say "thank you for your great service and good bye".

£80m bonus on top of £600k pw for 4 years. If broken down that's what? £1m pw amortised over 4 years? I mean he's the best player in the world for me, but is it healthy for Barca to be offering that?
It will be over 1 million Euros a week easy.

He is the biggest sports star on the planet, along with Ronaldo.

There is nothing surprising about these figures. This is what you can expect a true superstar to earn these days.

He has 100m Facebook followers ffs. Do you realise that is a third more than Man United?

KingMinger22

How is it greed?

He's the best player on the planet. He'd also require about three players to come in to do the job that he does alone. That's three transfers plus three sets of exorbitant wages. This is actually the cheaper end of the stick for Barcelona, which surely plays a part in why they're going to pay it.
This.

KingMinger22

I really don't understand how many on here find these things surprising.

Expect things to keep heading this way.

I hope United are willing to match the sort of wages that the very elite expect should we ever have such a player.

Hullyback

Supports
Liverpool FC
Sickening amounts of money, but sadly it's what he's worth. If Barca didn't pay it, there's a few others that'd gladly pay him £150m to play for 2-3 seasons. If Neymar is worth £200m plus extortionate wages then Messi is worth more, just happens he's already there so the transfer fee to get such a player is going straight to him for staying..

Football has undoubtedly lost the plot though, of that nobody can argue.

SalfordRed18

Netflix and avocado, no chill
Supports
Ashwood City FC
I know im alone in thinking, its not as clear cut as it arguably was before in saying Messi is the best in the world? Definitely up there though, obviously.

notcool

Supports
a
Can never understand why everyone always says players are greedy when they actually hold a club accountable for what they should be paid . :lol:. They are scrambling to pay it so obviously he's worth that to them. Why should he accept a penny less.
Exactly. Most people are employees so it makes sense they should sympathise. Players should be paid what they are worth to the club, just as any employee should be paid in line with how much value they give to their employer. People should be happy that Messi knows what he is worth and is able to make sure the club pays him that, because, for sure, the club aren't going to suggest those terms to Messi.

notcool

Supports
a
Sickening amounts of money, but sadly it's what he's worth. If Barca didn't pay it, there's a few others that'd gladly pay him £150m to play for 2-3 seasons. If Neymar is worth £200m plus extortionate wages then Messi is worth more, just happens he's already there so the transfer fee to get such a player is going straight to him for staying..
The fans are the ones who implicitly value him at that much though. If fans are willing to pay as much as they do, then he is worth what he's paid. It makes no sense at all to complain. It's like complaining about how much money Jeff Bezos is worth and at the same time loving the service Amazon provides.

ottosec

Wages 84% of turnover? :eek: Surely that can't be right? They are on the road to bankruptcy if that's true.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
Ronaldo should demand the same from Real. Buy Barca's stadium naming rights. Troll Messi.

Morpheus 7

He has them by the balls and the club know it. They can't afford a huge player to leave for nothing, don't get how clubs get themselves into that position. They must have the Arsenal structure, delay and delay to a summer and hope. You don't risk your best players getting way down, long contracts for your best players are cash in big and replace properly. Do you really trust a guy who was convicted of tax evasion to show loyalty(do the right thing). He's a great player but if this mad rumour is true it's mental. Imagine us selling the rights to Old Trafford in 3 years to keep De Gea! I never trust big Argentina players when it comes to money. Tevez, Heinze, Di Maria ect..that's just our own in the past.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Ronaldo should demand the same from Real. Buy Barca's stadium naming rights. Troll Messi.
Both funny and original.

On topic, Barca's financial issues appear to rest more in what they generally pay across the board to their standard squad/non star player. From the bits I've read here and there even the players you wouldn't expect, are on huge money. On the other hand, Madrid have some big players being payed not so absurd amounts.

Hullyback

Supports
Liverpool FC
The fans are the ones who implicitly value him at that much though. If fans are willing to pay as much as they do, then he is worth what he's paid. It makes no sense at all to complain. It's like complaining about how much money Jeff Bezos is worth and at the same time loving the service Amazon provides.
No offence but at what point did I complain? The bit you've bolded wasn't a complaint it was an opinion that it's a lot of money which it is. I also said that's he worth what he's paid. You're preaching to the converted here mate.

johnamiri

Supports
Liverpool
Imagine the fun they'll have if his level drops off a cliff anytime soon. Trying to shift him on 500-600k a week, with a 4-5 year contract!
Unlike Ronaldo Messi lacks the physical attributes to keep going for another 4 or 5 years I can see him going downhill rather quickly in the period between seasons.