Barca Transfer ban - upheld - pointlessly

C.M.P

2014 Grand National Sweepstake Winner
Excellent news, now we can buy Messi

Count Orduck

Yes, how dare they be considered innocent until proven guilty like everyone else in any decent justice system.
Amusingly, literally none of the posts you quoted say anything different - we're just all amused because the ban was never going to stick, and people said as much.

Take your self-righteous moral crusade elsewhere.

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
Amusingly, literally none of the posts you quoted say anything different - we're just all amused because the ban was never going to stick, and people said as much.

Take your self-righteous moral crusade elsewhere.
How are you so sure that ban is never going to stick btw?

I think they are guilty(hence their defense of "every other club does it") and the ban will stick. UEFA did absolutely nothing wrong in this case.

Last edited:

Blasphemy

I think they are guilty(hence their defense of "every other club does it") and the ban will stick. UEFA did absolutely nothing in this case.
They have been found guilty you knobend.
They are guilty and I think they'll get some sort of ban, maybe 1 window instead 2, but they have the right of appeal and can't be banned until they've failed their appeal.

KM

They have been found guilty you knobend.
They're still well within their rights to appeal though.

The case also has a precedence with Chelsea's transfer ban being suspended till their appeal.

bishblaize

They're still well within their rights to appeal though.

The case also has a precedence with Chelsea's transfer ban being suspended till their appeal.
Agreed, its entirely common for the result of a tribunal or court decision to be lifted temporarily while a review of that decision is made. Indeed in almost any legal or quasi legal process its the default thing to do unless there is a compelling reason otherwise.

Count Orduck

I think they are guilty(hence their defense of "every other club does it") and the ban will stick. UEFA did absolutely nothing wrong in this case.
I think it will stick in the sense they'll have to serve it, but they'll be able to delay it with appeals long enough that they can still get all their summer business done at the start of the window, and thus it won't actually have any effect on their transfers.

NotoriousISSY

$10mil and I fecked it up!
Teams who can negotiate transfers will be quoting insane fees this summer.

I really hope they join the overpaying party for Luiz. That's a punishment in itself.

Danny1982

Sectarian Hipster

The main question here is not about them being guilty or not. The question is if the punishment is fair or disproportionate.

Your boss could fine you 10,000 pounds for finding you guilty of stealing a stamp from the office, but you can still go to the court and reverse your boss' decision, without the need to deny stealing the stamp.

KM

I think it will stick in the sense they'll have to serve it, but they'll be able to delay it with appeals long enough that they can still get all their summer business done at the start of the window, and thus it won't actually have any effect on their transfers.
Even if they will be able to sign player in this summer, I'm pretty they'll eventually get a transfer ban which will encompass one whole summer window which will mean that they'll have to pay for this one way or another.

Mander

Watch them go on a spending spree now that they know they might get a ban the following year. It's actually going to serve them well because now they'll have to address all defensive issues in one go.
No, it's not going to serve us "well" as such. It's of course better than a ban in the sense that we need the reinforcements here and now, but every club we approach knows that we can't play the waiting game... we need to buy right now.

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
Teams have been doing this to a lesser extend, appealing for a red card so that they can suspend the suspension in a crucial match.

It's not perfect, but hardly bias and reeks conspiracy.

Any other team would have appeal regardless. Added to the fact, that they did come up with a severe enough punishment for Barcelona should be seen as a good intention in the first place. They could have just fined them a paltry amount, but they do give out a worthy punishment

It's fair and square in my book (unless if they suddenly find them not guilty on appeal that is)

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
No, it's not going to serve us "well" as such. It's of course better than a ban in the sense that we need the reinforcements here and now, but every club we approach knows that we can't play the waiting game... we need to buy right now.
You've put yourself in a position when everyone knows you cannot play the waiting game anyway when it comes to defenders.

Mander

You've put yourself in a position when everyone knows you cannot play the waiting game anyway when it comes to defenders.
True. We'll probably go out and buy a new winger first thing this summer.

PedroMendez

Acolyte
It's got nothing to do with being afraid of Big Bad Barca, in fact it's nothing to do with Barca at all, at least not from my perspective.

It's just yet another example of how toothless the UEFA punishments are.

This basically gives Barca the heads up that they're going to get a ban and so they know to get all their transfers sorted this window.

It should be timed so that the appeal process can be dealt with before a transfer window opens.
exactly.

It was obvious that Barca would appeal this ban (rightfully) and with doing so, the punishment becomes meaningless regardless if they are found guilty or not.
Do it properly with the right timing, so Barca can appeal, but the final sentence is pronounced before the transfer window opens or just leave them alone.

Keeps It tidy

Hates Messi
I still think they will be punished since it seems they do not have a leg to stand on. I think they will just serve the ban next summer.

Blasphemy

It didn't matter anyway, they have some exciting young players coming through their youth ranks.
Not defenders though.

A lot of people seem to think they're going to buy a striker and start playing Messi as a number 10. That would be interesting.

itso 7

Great piece of news because I'm sure there are a number of players that they are now more likely to ship out who could prove useful to us right now . If they had stayed banned they wouldn't have considered selling anyone but now it's a different matter altogether . We could do with someone like Alex Song at a cut price deal and players like Pedro and Sanchez could could be in play too .
The ethical mechanics do not interest me one bit because I'm sure every club does exactly the same thing if not worse.

Blasphemy

exactly.

It was obvious that Barca would appeal this ban (rightfully) and with doing so, the punishment becomes meaningless regardless if they are found guilty or not.
Do it properly with the right timing, so Barca can appeal, but the final sentence is pronounced before the transfer window opens or just leave them alone.
It will still hurt them if they can't buy any players next summer, even if they have this summer to prepare. You've no idea who will have a good or bad season and need replacing next summer.

If for example they don't buy a right back then they're committed to two years of Dani Alves who will be 33 in the 2015/16 season. Xavi will be 36 he'll need replacing too but they don't really know yet is Fabregas is the man for that or if they'll play Iniesta deeper or move Busquets up and sign a holding midfielder.

They've also got a big decison to make with regards to Messi as well. The false 9 doesn't seem to work anymore, they need an alternative. Some people have suggested playing Messi as a 10 and buying a 9. If they don't do that then they've got another two years of Messi as a false 9 with no plan B.

They'll buy a keeper and some defenders clearly but it's still a big disadvantage to go two years without a summer window to reinforce even if you know it's coming.

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
Welcome to Manchester reception committee
exactly.

Yes, but I actually think the FIFA timing on this is (intentionally or not) fair.

As I said in the original thread, I think this punishment is supposed to be a warning to other clubs to get their own houses in order and to national associations to get the procedures right.

I think it's very much a case of using a well known club to make a point, with an exemplary punishment to go with it. In other words, it's demonstration that if it applies to Barca, it applies to everyone and the sanction is severe enough to act as a deterrent to other clubs.

As it's out of the blue, and a warning shot to everyone, I actually think it's reasonable to allow Barca the chance to operate as normal this summer, and then (assuming the case is upheld) serve the ban.

Otherwise we're going to hear a whole pile of arguments at CAS about the punishment being disproportionate and unfair. Whereas this way FIFA can actually (I hope) make it the standard sanction for the offence without that first ruling being overturned as "against natural justice."

Blasphemy

Great piece of news because I'm sure there are a number of players that they are now more likely to ship out who could prove useful to us right now . If they had stayed banned they wouldn't have considered selling anyone but now it's a different matter altogether . We could do with someone like Alex Song at a cut price deal and players like Pedro and Sanchez could could be in play too .
The ethical mechanics do not interest me one bit because I'm sure every club does exactly the same thing if not worse.
I'd love Sanchez at United. He's quality when the shackles are off.

That's interesting... who are they going for striker wise?
Messi would not like that.
IMO they should go in for Luis Suarez if there's any possibility at all of a deal. Other than that all the usual players you'd expect: Cavani, Falcao, Van Persie, Aguero.

Aguero and Messi play extremely well together by all accounts for Argentina so Messi's absolutely capable of working with another striker.

---------------Ter Stegen-------------
-----Alves----CB------CB----Alba------
----------Busquets---Iniesta-----------
------Pedro---Messi-----Neymar-------
------------------Aguero--------------

Hell of an exciting team that. Swapping in any of the other four strikers above for Aguero.

crossy1686

career ending
Absolute shocker.......

But in all seriousness, the fact that Barca were purposely pursuing transfers with the aim to sign them in June, practically dismissing the whole transfer embargo as nothing but silly, is extremely arrogant. I was hoping the sanction would be upheld just for that reason alone but I can't say I'm shocked that this has been suspended. It will go away quietly and they will serve no ban at all.