Barca Transfer ban - upheld - pointlessly

malappapper

What makes the ban so "ludicrous and disproportionate"? Is it the strength of the punishment or the fact that the rules have been enforced?

And what makes you so sure that "a club" (presumably Real Madrid) are involved? Is there evidence of this?
Like I have stated previously, the punishment would have been vastly greater than any potential advantage that the club could have gained by breaking the rules regarding young players. It is also without precedent in European football.

It has been widely reported that the investigation was spurred by the complaints of an "unnamed club" Well, do we need Sherlock here?

Gee Male

Like I have stated previously, the punishment would have been vastly greater than any potential advantage that the club could have gained by breaking the rules regarding young players. It is also without precedent in European football.

It has been widely reported that the investigation was spurred by the complaints of an "unnamed club" Well, do we need Sherlock here?
Your first paragraph implies that there is a way of quantifying Barca's advantage from breaking the rules. If you are in agreement that some form of punishment is necessary, what would you propose instead? Has FIFA not just applies the punishment dictated by the rule that has been broken? Surely the blame is with your club for breaking that rule rather than with FIFA for applying the rule?

I would also have guessed that the unnamed club is likely to be one from whom your club has poached a player rather than Real Madrid. Maybe Sherlock is required after all.

Skills

Snitch
1 out of the Reus sweepstakes :drool:

(unless they can somehow get Dortmund to sell him this window)

stu_1992

Must say it was well played by them to delay the ban. They knew it would probably happen, but they were able to do a decent bit of business this window in preparation.

saivet

I don't know if they were planning to buy anyone else anyway, but can they still buy players in the remainder of this transfer window?

FCBarca

Mes que un Rag
Supports
Peace
Bigger issue now will be how it impacts several cantera players, particularly Lee Seung Woo who was going to feature in the UEFA Youth League for Juvenil A

I suppose the CAS card remains but, regardless, it is yet another failure from this incompetent board

Brophs

The One and Only
I reckon they'll buy a couple more this summer. I'd still be surprised not to see Alves leave and Cuadrado come in.

bishblaize

Can someone confirm, does "two complete and consecutive transfer periods" mean two transfer windows? Not two years?

Oo0AahCantona

If they failed the appeal which they did, surely the sanctions should get higher? Otherwise what's the point of not lodging an appeal especially seeing how they spunked a couple years transfer budget anyway. What a load if shite. They should have been allowed a emergency transfer for a keeper and that's it.

Zen

How many appeals can you have? They just need time to convince people to give them £200m for more quick spending.

Supports
Barcelona
From watching the pre-season, Barca B youngsters seem promising though + this summer signings @FCBarca

and does this mean Xavi is staying till 2016 ?

FCBarca

Mes que un Rag
Supports
Peace
The first appeal was to FIFA, then they are entitled to escalate it up to CAS - which they have officially said they will now

Brown Toothpick

Supports
FC Barcelona
I reckon they'll buy a couple more this summer. I'd still be surprised not to see Alves leave and Cuadrado come in.
A RB is probably coming in, but Alves is staying for the season and leaving on a free. Unless he miraculously retrieves his form.

Correct, should have been made three by the way.
Why?

FCBarca

Mes que un Rag
Supports
Peace
From watching the pre-season, Barca B youngsters seem promising though + this summer signings @FCBarca
Yeah, I agree. Pre-season is traditionally something I enjoy a lot with Barcelona, usually get to see young players feature with the first team and see who might be the next star along with any new squad additions. The hype already started with Adama but Munir & Samper really left me pretty impressed, in an abbreviated pre-season owing to the WC. Munir continues to surprise and Samper looks like there's no question he will become a star for the first team

The signings have all been impressive apart from Suarez who hasn't really had any time to adapt or get fit. I was thinking how much I have rated Mathieu for a couple seasons now and how the team could've used him sooner. Rakitic makes a big difference in this squad, very excited about his potential. Ter Stegen I prefer to Bravo but he's unfortunately injured. Suarez is an exciting signing but it'll be some time before we can see how well it can work. Rafinha clearly has Lucho's confidence and will see big minutes this season which makes me question why loan Deulo over Roberto. While I don't understand the Vermaelen signing, I'm pretty sure Song will be gone soon. Cuadrado now makes more sense to me than it did before as there's a real attacking void from that right flank

WRT to Xavi, all I know is that he's staying, for now - which is excellent

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
Welcome to Manchester reception committee
Must say it was well played by them to delay the ban. They knew it would probably happen, but they were able to do a decent bit of business this window in preparation.
The timing of the original ruling pretty much guaranteed that they would be able to delay the transfer ban.

Odd as it might sound I think that was not only intentional by FIFA, I think it was fair. The transfer ban is a rarely used sanction and I think Barcelona have been used to demonstrate that the rules on minors have teeth.

They had apparently been warned about their procedures and ignored those warnings, so they were good candidates for a strong punishment. The fact that the punishment has been softened by being delayed doesn't reduce the example, it's still a warning to other clubs.

Balu

Der Fußballgott
Supports
Bayern Munich
The number of people who think that it's to wrong to have the right to appeal without the risk of an increased punishment is insane. Everyone has to have the right to appeal to question if the first verdict was fair or not. It's crazy how often the FIFA is called corrupt on the Caf while at the same time the right to appeal their decisions is questioned as well. Makes no sense at all. It's still a massive punishment for Barca. They can't react to mistakes or injuries for two transfer windows. Yeah, they have the chance to buy a few players early thanks to the delay and it would have been even more hard if they had no chance to react at all. But it's impossible to plan accordingly so far ahead, to buy replacements early, get rid of high earners instantly to make room for new players. The punishment now is far from pointless. Let's hope that the CAS upholds the decision.

FCBarca

Mes que un Rag
Supports
Peace
The timing of the original ruling pretty much guaranteed that they would be able to delay the transfer ban.

Odd as it might sound I think that was not only intentional by FIFA, I think it was fair. The transfer ban is a rarely used sanction and I think Barcelona have been used to demonstrate that the rules on minors have teeth.

They had apparently been warned about their procedures and ignored those warnings, so they were good candidates for a strong punishment. The fact that the punishment has been softened by being delayed doesn't reduce the example, it's still a warning to other clubs.
We also know that FIFA has known since last winter that they were going to hand a ban to Barcelona but delayed it.

Drifter

American
They'll just do all their spending in this transfer window.130 mil and counting.

Bob Loblaw

Supports
Liverpool
Makes the Vermaelen and Mathieu signings look even worse now.

Brown Toothpick

Supports
FC Barcelona
The number of people who think that it's to wrong to have the right to appeal without the risk of an increased punishment is insane. Everyone has to have the right to appeal to question if the first verdict was fair or not. It's crazy how often the FIFA is called corrupt on the Caf while at the same time the right to appeal their decisions is questioned as well. Makes no sense at all. It's still a massive punishment for Barca. They can't react to mistakes or injuries for two transfer windows. Yeah, they have the chance to buy a few players early thanks to the delay and it would have been even more hard if they had no chance to react at all. But it's impossible to plan accordingly so far ahead, to buy replacements early, get rid of high earners instantly to make room for new players. The punishment now is far from pointless. Let's hope that the CAS upholds the decision.
Dude, I thought you knew the Caf by now?

Good post btw.

stu_1992

Yeah you make valid points there. Since the ban is pretty unprecedented it's not unusual that it was delayed to give them time. The worry would be if others do subsequently receive a similar punishment that they will look for the same treatment and cite the Barcelona case as an example. I'd hope that FIFA would be string enough to say no to them, even if they are another of the "big guns".

Supports
Barcelona
Yeah, I agree. Pre-season is traditionally something I enjoy a lot with Barcelona, usually get to see young players feature with the first team and see who might be the next star along with any new squad additions. The hype already started with Adama but Munir & Samper really left me pretty impressed, in an abbreviated pre-season owing to the WC. Munir continues to surprise and Samper looks like there's no question he will become a star for the first team

The signings have all been impressive apart from Suarez who hasn't really had any time to adapt or get fit. I was thinking how much I have rated Mathieu for a couple seasons now and how the team could've used him sooner. Rakitic makes a big difference in this squad, very excited about his potential. Ter Stegen I prefer to Bravo but he's unfortunately injured. Suarez is an exciting signing but it'll be some time before we can see how well it can work. Rafinha clearly has Lucho's confidence and will see big minutes this season which makes me question why loan Deulo over Roberto. While I don't understand the Vermaelen signing, I'm pretty sure Song will be gone soon. Cuadrado now makes more sense to me than it did before as there's a real attacking void from that right flank

WRT to Xavi, all I know is that he's staying, for now - which is excellent

I liked Ie too . Looked so composed considering his age, and I think Halilovic will impress this season and will get promoted by the next max. My only problem with Cuadrado signing is if Lucho plays him as RB. I think he should stick to the midfield which means that we would be still deficient at the RB position if Alves do leave next season.

Munir should play a lot, starting from next week imo. Samper too should play at least in the cup.

Joga Bonito

The Art of Football
When was the last time a 'big' club genuinely got banned from the transfer window? Can't exactly remember any but I am surely forgetting someone.

FCBarca

Mes que un Rag
Supports
Peace
I liked Ie too . Looked so composed considering his age, and I think Halilovic will impress this season and will get promoted by the next max. My only problem with Cuadrado signing is if Lucho plays him as RB. I think he should stick to the midfield which means that we would be still deficient at the RB position if Alves do leave next season.

Munir should play a lot, starting from next week imo. Samper too should play at least in the cup.
Yeah, lé & Halilovic were also pretty impressive in the short time we got to see them with the first team. I think the Cuadrado signing isn't intended to use him as a RB but a hybrid RW to make those overlapping runs on the right flank that Alves used to - he'd still track back to protect what would be a defensive shift to only 3 at the back

With Montoya & Adriano, I think RB will be fine although I would've preferred a right footed CB instead of Vermaelen. Bartra also used to play at RB in the cantera so that can work as well

But I agree, hard to argue against Munir & Samper getting more first team minutes - surprising but they are ready