Barca trying to terminate the contracts of Umtiti and Pjanic

redpatron

Time for a cheeky bid for Frenkie and test Barca's resolve. Finances look so comically bad that even the non-Messi crown jewels must be for sale. FdJ would be a stellar signing for us.

I'd even take a punt on Dest too as an attacking alternative to AWB.
hard pass. there's no way in hell we should be paying 350k a week for a 22 yr old mf that's not even a top player yet, our wage structure would be completely ruin. Save that money for a top striker next summer.

Pickle85

This club needs major punishment for how they tried to run this business.
Are these figures accurate? Absolutely insane if so. Whoever sanctioned this kind of spending needs investigating. It's like those early footie management sims where the only thing that counted, budget-wise, was transfer fees so you could offer whatever insane wages you wanted with no repercussion to the bottom line.

Powderfinger

Supports
Arsenal
Griezmann is the one I simply can't understand. Even when Barca bought him, he wasn't such a top player that he could demand such a high wage in a world when other top players at the same level are generally all on 200-400k. How does it happen that they gave him over 800k? I really wonder whether that deal involved some kind of shady kickback or something.

SinNombre

Should add up to €671m, that was the prior to Covid cap and Barcelona used 100% of it I think.

Those numbers must be way too low.

Conceivably those are net amounts, after tax. Gross is double maybe, that would make sense.
That table is completely wrong.

We know Messi alone averaged €164m in wages + bonuses.

SinNombre

Griezmann is the one I simply can't understand. Even when Barca bought him, he wasn't such a top player that he could demand such a high wage in a world when other top players at the same level are generally all on 200-400k. How does it happen that they gave him over 800k? I really wonder whether that deal involved some kind of shady kickback or something.
That 800k is likely nett.

He is likely being 1.5m/week pre-taxes before the 20% “pay cut”.

steeeb

What to Barca fans think of this? Didn't they vote to agree a 500m loan or something?

Wouldn't be happy that the club looks not a million miles from collapse, mainly due to a single "legend" player.

The Purley King

€164m was the cost to Barcelona. Messi had to pay tax (even though we know he doesn't like doing that) and that table is what he gets after tax has been paid.

Castia

Been reading a lot about Barca’s current predicament and they’re in big trouble.

One thing I can’t get my head around is why are they bowing to Messi’s ridiculous wage demands? there’s not a club on the planet willing to pay him over £1m per week, offer him a deal if he refuses let him go ffs.

He needs Barce as much as they need him, if he refuses a deal and goes to PSG then his image is tainted and they won’t pay him what he’s on now regardless.

Wittmann45

Should add up to €671m, that was the prior to Covid cap and Barcelona used 100% of it I think.

Conceivably those are net amounts, after tax. Gross is double maybe, that would make sense.
Coutinho's wages seem low. He was signed after Dembele and for more money and yet he makes significantly less in wages. Those figures are also near or lower to the wages he was on at Liverpool before his transfer. Unless he signed a new contract to lower his wages since his transfer

alexthelion

Messi isn't the issue- spending huge wages and fees on players has been the issue.

People say Messi is spoiling Barca but it's the other way around. He could have had 1-2 more CLs if played for a half decent team. Barca is shit, absolute shit.
Of course he's the issue, or part of it at least.

If he's asking for and being paid 2.7m per week he is a problem, a big one.

Doesn't mean other players and their estortionate wages aren't a problem as well.

HTG

Supports
Bayern
I don’t blame a single player for those wages. I’d happily take them myself. The Barca board on the other hand seems to be completely crazy.

littleman

It was an awful decision.

Messi and Ronaldo are out-of-world productive and superstars just get disproportionately higher salaries than normal performers. This is very common in the entertainment world.

Griezmann was doing great at Atletico (0.5 gpg) but certainly nothing out-of-worldly. I'd say 300-400k GBP should have been the upper limit, but even then, those stats and that salary.. it's a hard call

The Purley King

Coutinho's wages seem low. He was signed after Dembele and for more money and yet he makes significantly less in wages. Those figures are also near or lower to the wages he was on at Liverpool before his transfer. Unless he signed a new contract to lower his wages since his transfer
Coutinho is probably on the same contract, but that is what he gets after tax. His Liverpool salary would have been quoted gross, which means he would have taken home approx 1/2 of the quoted figure.

Damien

Self-Aware RedCafe Database (and Admin)
Staff
The table seems to be mostly net wages while Coutinho's Liverpool wages (£150k) would have been before tax.

Varun

Staff
Especially when he's half the player out wide and they had Messi playing centrally already. Absolute joke how poorly Barca are run.

Mb194dc

Supports
Chelsea

I looked further in to it and the actual first team total wages in Barcelona annual report prior to Covid was €450m (including image rights)

There is also €74m extra under squad not registrable with LFP in the report, for some reason (loaned players maybe?).

They were using €495m of the LFP cap (€671m) prior to Covid (total includes things other than just wages, e.g. Amortization of players) before Covid. Plus €63m under squad not registrable with LFP heading.

First team wages including image rights including players on loan should add up to €525m ish at the start of 2020.

Jezpeza

Been reading a lot about Barca’s current predicament and they’re in big trouble.

One thing I can’t get my head around is why are they bowing to Messi’s ridiculous wage demands? there’s not a club on the planet willing to pay him over £1m per week, offer him a deal if he refuses let him go ffs.

He needs Barce as much as they need him, if he refuses a deal and goes to PSG then his image is tainted and they won’t pay him what he’s on now regardless.
I agree. They are selling off half the squad to meet a salary cap then selling even more to make room for his wages. Whilst probably the best ever player he is nearing the end of his career. All considered to me they are best moving on and starting the post messi era. Bucket of ice water shock hes gone and then get on with it

Charlie Foley

People saying Messi is destroying Barcelona like there isn’t 1,000 other problems at that club they’ve caused themselves. What a shitshow

RedDevil@84

People saying Messi is destroying Barcelona like there isn’t 1,000 other problems at that club they’ve caused themselves.
Imagine a bucket that cannot hold the water and empties way often. People searched for all the leaks in the bucket and found several. But then finally found out that the bucket emptied out in so fast, because there was the biggest problem that the bucket was only being half filled to start with, because half of it was already being taken away by someone.

Now, you can fix the leaks in the bucket and/or stop half filling it. It is a choice I guess.

flappyjay

I think that's what he gets after tax

Rojow

I always thought the players went to Barcelona because of the city and playing with Messi. But it seems none of this was used as a plus. They offered a silly amount of money each time. It's pathetic. WTF are those Griezzman wages.

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
Of course he's the issue, or part of it at least.

If he's asking for and being paid 2.7m per week he is a problem, a big one.

Doesn't mean other players and their estortionate wages aren't a problem as well.
If there are clubs ready to match it, then it's his choice. PSG or City will easily match his salary.

So Barca can either match it or let him go for free. They decided to match him but then don't blame him for the lack of funds.

Pickle85

I suspect he'll stay within his comfort zone at Barca, even if he can get more money elsewhere and who can blame him? The club seems to have been built around him the last ten years or so.

choccy77

So BBC article saying Barca may not be allowed to register any players due to their £1bn + debt?

Will explain why they are trying to release players most likely on big wages who don't play a lot

SinNombre

I suspect he'll stay within his comfort zone at Barca, even if he can get more money elsewhere and who can blame him? The club seems to have been built around him the last ten years or so.
He is not getting more money anywhere else.

€650m in 4 years will not be matched for a long time.

Pretzels81

Not Salty…
Apparently, Tebas is the problem, not the money. Laporta has the money to re-sign Messi (Yank bank loan, Goldman Sachs if I'm not mistaken), but currently Barca are not following the fair play rules of La Liga (insane debt + huge wages). They need to sell or to eject players. If this was a Godfather movie, Umtiti and/or Pjanic would be dead by now, or the head of their daughter's dog would be on their beds...

Pep's Suit

Wow, they really were desperate to beat PSG/Bayern to De Jong/Dest. Those two probably shouldn't earn more than €140/70k p/w, instead they cost them over €25m a year. Also Busquets, Alba, Sergi Roberto and Pique should have been released two years ago.

flappyjay

To think a month ago we were laughing at Inter but it turns out Barcelona were in a worse predicament.

flappyjay

Also Busquets, Alba, Sergi Roberto and Pique should have been released two years ago.
I don't think keeping them is the issue as they can still contribute, paying them like they were still in their prime is the issue. They all should be on less than half of what they are on.

Dave Smith

Supports
Anything anti-Dipper

I think they have mixed net and gross up. No way can Griezmann be on more than €800k a week (surely?!?!?!? Obviously cannot tell as Barca have been hitting the pipe way too hard.) Whilst Messi is low (probably because the author couldn't believe it was plausible he would be on €2m+ a week.)

Ole's screen

Supports
KC Chiefs
Imagine a bucket that cannot hold the water and empties way often. People searched for all the leaks in the bucket and found several. But then finally found out that the bucket emptied out in so fast, because there was the biggest problem that the bucket was only being half filled to start with, because half of it was already being taken away by someone.

Now, you can fix the leaks in the bucket and/or stop half filling it. It is a choice I guess.
Thats a weird analogy. It's like trying to worry about the small leaks when half the bottom is missing.

sourdough satellite

Exactly. They're just making sure Frenkie is paid just enough for him to put food on the table. Assuming he's paying the Barcelona player tax rate of 0% then he's on about £17,777,000 annually.

The ingredients of the perfect bacon sandwich costs £1.58; 4 rashers of Denhay dry cured smoked back bacon is £1.07, 1 Crosta & Mollica wrap is £0.40, 2% of a 650ml bottle of Heinz ketchup is £0.04 and 2% of 500g of Lurpak spreadable is £0.07.

The money he's on annually is equivalent to roughly 11,251,266 bacon sandwiches. Assuming that Catalonia has a fair few vegetarians and people who don't eat bacon for health/religious regions, that's probably enough for 2 bacon sarnies for people in the region.

I think that puts things into perspective.
:lol:

Kyonn

Please leave facts out of this thread.
The problem is there are very few known facts. All the numbers being thrown around are pure speculation. None of us has access to Barcas books.

Acrobat7

Supports
Bayern Munich
The problem is there are very few known facts. All the numbers being thrown around are pure speculation. None of us has access to Barcas books.
I agree. But Messi is currently not signed and Barca still breaches the salary cap by a lot. So the current attempt to clear the wage bill is not down to Messi‘s contract.