Barca trying to terminate the contracts of Umtiti and Pjanic

UpWithRivers

If Im playing devils advocate there are players no longer needed by the club but refuse to leave. Barca just want to sell them and move on but they refuse to go. Yeah they signed contracts so Barca needs to adhere to the contract but if the club says 'look your a great guy and a great player but we cant see a future for you here so we are looking to sell you' and the player says 'Nope. I refuse. Im staying put.' What do you do?

Cloud7

If Im playing devils advocate there are players no longer needed by the club but refuse to leave. Barca just want to sell them and move on but they refuse to go. Yeah they signed contracts so Barca needs to adhere to the contract but if the club says 'look your a great guy and a great player but we cant see a future for you here so we are looking to sell you' and the player says 'Nope. I refuse. Im staying put.' What do you do?
Try to get them out via the proper channels, like us with Sanchez and Madrid with Bale.

hellhunter

Eurofighter
Supports
Karlsruher SC
Not sign players on ridiculous contracts.

UpWithRivers

Try to get them out via the proper channels, like us with Sanchez and Madrid with Bale.
Yeah but they dont want to go. Why else terminate contracts. They obviously would sell or even give on a free if they could. The only reason they would terminate a contract is if the player is refusing to leave

Champagne Football

A lot of negative comments here about Messi, but Messi knows how much money he brings into the club, he knows the size of his brand, and how many kids worldwide beg their parents to buy them a Messi video game, Football shirt or Messi football boots.

It's like when Beckham went to Madrid, the Madrid president said he'd rather sell The Bernabeu than sell Beckham.

Messi is not going to take a pay-cut when he knows he can earn more at City or PSG or Miami or China. It's different when you have a mercenary on 400,000 a week and they're only giving half-arsed performances and no other clubs have any interest. Messi is still giving 100% and still Barca's best player, despite being 50% the player he once was.

Judas

Open to offers
Most players would move on though, but its probably the circumstances which is making these players dig their heels in, because its mental what's going on. It sounds toxic and destructive what's going down at that club right now.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Yeah but they dont want to go. Why else terminate contracts. They obviously would sell or even give on a free if they could. The only reason they would terminate a contract is if the player is refusing to leave
And the players are most likely refusing to leave because Barcelona won't pay the wage difference. Would you leave Barcelona without the agreed money?

Cloud7

Bale refuses to leave, and Sanchez didn’t want to leave his fat United salary behind either. The clubs have to work around the contracts they hand out. No one forces them to give out those contracts. You can’t just say “well yeah we gave you those contracts but now we want you to leave so no more.”

Find a buyer the player is willing to go for or deal with the consequences of your actions. This should be a lesson to clubs that hand out contracts they may come to regret. Handle them in a sustainable manner.

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout
If you have a player on a big contract who nobody wants to buy or even sign on a free transfer, there's a few options to get rid of them:

1, Treat them like shit (train with the kids etc) in the hope that they'll accept a lower salary elsewhere.

2, Offer to pay off a decent chunk of their remaining contract and release them on a free. This will save Barca money in the long run.

3, Send them on loan whilst paying a large % of their wages. This lightens the wage bill and puts them in the shop window.

UpWithRivers

Most players would move on though, but its probably the circumstances which is making these players dig their heels in, because its mental what's going on. It sounds toxic and destructive what's going down at that club right now.
No they wouldnt move on see Bale. Lots of players just hang around. Great City. Great club. Great medical. Great training facilities. Great cash. Why move. You already said its toxic. Then they should move? They are not refusing to move in protest. They just dont want to go to a lesser club

Maluco

Last Man Standing 3 champion 2019/20
I think Pjanic will move on because another team will pick up his wage on a free no problem (180k in Euro)

But why would Umtiti have any motivation to slash his salary in half (220k in Euro) to play elsewhere?

He is in his mid-twenties and won’t be going anywhere unless he gets that cash subsidized by Barcelona

TehRed

I understand them wanting to get rid of Umtiti, with his knee trouble it's clear they don't think he has any kind of future at the club. Seems he's been out of favour for a while now. Pjanic does baffle me a bit though, he's a good player and they haven't had him long. Must be purely driven by needing to make room for Messi's demands.

Been some funny moves from Barca in general over recent years, they seem to get players in and ship them out relatively quickly. They need some new blood to be ready to replace the likes of Pique, Busquets, Alba etc but they buy and then quite quickly ship out the likes of Semedo, Firpo, Todibo. Must be going back to the academy again.

Judas

Open to offers
No they wouldnt move on see Bale. Lots of players just hand around. Great City. Great club. Great medical. Great training facilities. Great cash. Why move. You already said its toxic. Then they should move? They are not refusing to move in protest. They just dont want to go to a lesser club
I said most players. Most players haven't won it all and actually care about playing football. Bale doesn't beyond Wales, he's checked out.

Judas

Open to offers
I think Pjanic will move on because another team will pick up his wage on a free no problem (180k in Euro)

But why would Umtiti have any motivation to slash his salary in half (220k in Euro) to play elsewhere?

He is in his mid-twenties and won’t be going anywhere unless he gets that cash subsidized by Barcelona

Barca have been trying to shift Umtiti for years to be fair, they've known he's a busted flush for a long time. I do think he's seemingly happy to just stick about and take the money as no other top club would go anywhere near him at this point.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
Let all and sundry continue to have their fingers in their ears and not register that Messi wanted out of Barca and it's them paying him and not letting him go.

Then point the finger when he could be asking them for even more to match what he'd get at PSG or City.

Then there's the absolutely ridiculous wages and purchases signed off on for Griezmann, Coutinho and to a lesser extent, Dembele, whilst also paying De Jong 350,000 euros a week alongside all the other calamities.

But nope, Messi is to blame for Barcelona's spectacular collapse and not their shocking behaviour over the last 5 years.

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
Has to be time to let Messi go. He’s 34 and on ridiculous money.

UpWithRivers

If you have a player on a big contract who nobody wants to buy or even sign on a free transfer, there's a few options to get rid of them:

1, Treat them like shit (train with the kids etc) in the hope that they'll accept a lower salary elsewhere.

2, Offer to pay off a decent chunk of their remaining contract and release them on a free. This will save Barca money in the long run.

3, Send them on loan whilst paying a large % of their wages. This lightens the wage bill and puts them in the shop window.
This only works if the player is willing to leave. They dont want to go. Option 1 is also a no go. It just creates unrest in the camp.

Iker Quesadillas

Supports
Real Madrid
I don't really know why Barcelona signed Depay, Aguero, and were lining up Wijnaldum without having actually moved on anyone yet.

Gehrman

Phallic connoisseur, unlike shamans
His demands aren't his value they're obscene.
And he's out of contract and asked to be sold last summer. He's a free agent now, he's not holding anyone hostage.

Abraxas

They're both damaged goods. By no means should we be even thinking of offering them a contract. One guy to join Bailly and Jones as part of our collection of permanently crocked CBs and one guy on extravagant wages that would be coming because he has to, and yet is unsuited to the league.

Infestissumam

But nope, Messi is to blame for Barcelona's spectacular collapse and not their shocking behaviour over the last 5 years.
it can go hand in hand though, no? Messi being a greedy prick and Barca being a shambles of a club isn't necessarily mutually exclusive.

pascell

I don't really know why Barcelona signed Depay, Aguero, and were lining up Wijnaldum without having actually moved on anyone yet.
Depay was an FFP exercise, he's a free asset which has a significant market value, so that they can balance off getting rid Umtitti and Pjanic.

The two year deal they gave Depay obviously shows that the higher ups don't rate him that much. Once Koeman gets the boot this season, Depay will be gone next summer.

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout
This only works if the player is willing to leave. They dont want to go. Option 1 is also a no go. It just creates unrest in the camp.
They don't want to go because it will hit them financially. If they can earn the same and play they will.

They can go on loan like Bale did to Spurs (with Madrid subsidising his wages) or move on a perm like Sanchez did after Man United paid off a chunk of his salary, meaning he could accept lower wages at Inter without taking a financial hit.

Varun

Staff
Makes sense for Barca given both players are deadwood and in Umtiti's case, proper fecked. At the same time, neither player would take anything less than full payment to terminate the contract so let the drama begin :drool:

Matt007a

Messi wanted to leave last year. I’m sure he’s spoken to someone from PSG during that time even if it’s off the record. Chances are they offered him a wage that even Barca aren’t paying him, so he’s within his rights to turn round and ask Barca to match it.

Where it’s all gone wrong is that Barca should have said no and let him go. It’s not like they’re going to miss out on 5 years of prime Messi. This is 34 year old Messi, who admittedly still puts out numbers that no one can match but the sacrifices the team has to make both off the ball and off the pitch are no longer worth it like they were before.

I can’t see them shifting Umtiti with his knees and wages. They’ve completely screwed themselves over. They’ve taken what we did with Sanchez and his crazy contract and dialled it up to 11, offering several players even bigger pay packets.

JPRouve

Scout
Depay was an FFP exercise, he's a free asset which has a significant market value, so that they can balance off getting rid Umtitti and Pjanic.

The two year deal they gave Depay obviously shows that the higher ups don't rate him that much. Once Koeman gets the boot this season, Depay will be gone next summer.
I didn't know that he only signed for two years, he took a pretty big risk at 27 years old.

Igor Drefljak

Definitely Russian
Imagine if your boss came up to you one day and said look, I'm gonna have to let you go from our agreed contract as I wanna pay the guy stood next to you more money, but we need you off the books to fund it.

And you being a guy with a mortgage to pay and in your 50s and not desirable to other companies, or to smaller ones who wanna pay you half what you get now.
Would you smile and say ok?

Now sure, these guys are on huge money, so they don't have go worry about mortgages, but they still don't wanna take the paycut

pascell

I didn't know that he only signed for two years, he took a pretty big risk at 27 years old.
Think it's a 2+1 deal, I can't see him lasting long once Koeman is gone.

I think Depay has got lucky with Dembele injury, had he not got injured I don't see where Depay would have played.

Varun

Staff
Nothing you can do just as players can't do much when they are under contract and their club quotes obscene amounts to suitors. Clubs can't expect players to honor contracts and at the same time cry wolf when it's their turn.

JPRouve

Scout
Imagine if your boss came up to you one day and said look, I'm gonna have to let you go from our agreed contract as I wanna pay the guy stood next to you more money, but we need you off the books to fund it.

And you being a guy with a mortgage to pay and in your 50s and not desirable to other companies, or to smaller ones who wanna pay you half what you get now.
Would you smile and say ok?

Now sure, these guys are on huge money, so they don't have go worry about mortgages, but they still don't wanna take the paycut
If we are being honest a good amount of people would just spite Barcelona and tell them to stick their request where the sun doesn't shine.

crossy1686

career ending

Varun

Staff
Especially guys like Umtiti. His knee is fecked and there's no way anyone pays him a decent wage, it'd be downright stupid to take anything less than what you're owed per your contract