Barcelona 2017/18

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
Not really impressed with Barca in CL. Get through their first high press and you are through to their half with 3v 3 . A team like City will really pick them up.

I thought chelsea actually played well. All goals were mistakes and had some decent chances for themselves .

BlueViper

Supports
Chelsea
Its odd. They certainly *feel* more beatable than the possession hungry Barcelona sides of the past...but even though I felt like we were attacking them well, it's hard to actually point at a clear cut opportunity. We hit the bar twice from distance, and twice from set pieces over the course of two legs. I might be misremembering but I can't recall the goalkeeper being tested from open play from a good goalscoring area. The question is whether the pragmaticism and lack of press in the final third will work against a better attacking unit.

As great as their defence and front three are, I think the midfield has seen better days and that's where they'll lose it (if they do). Without Messi dropping in they're pretty uninspiring in the middle...relatively speaking of course (they're not bad players obviously).

Culero

Its odd. They certainly *feel* more beatable than the possession hungry Barcelona sides of the past...but even though I felt like we were attacking them well, it's hard to actually point at a clear cut opportunity. We hit the bar twice from distance, and twice from set pieces over the course of two legs. I might be misremembering but I can't recall the goalkeeper being tested from open play from a good goalscoring area. The question is whether the pragmaticism and lack of press in the final third will work against a better attacking unit.

As great as their defence and front three are, I think the midfield has seen better days and that's where they'll lose it (if they do). Without Messi dropping in they're pretty uninspiring in the middle...relatively speaking of course (they're not bad players obviously).
Valverde is a pragmatic coach, not a big fan of that style but a huge respect to him to offer viable playing style considering how we lacked defensive nous. First time in a big European game were I was confident in Barcelona keeping a clean sheet, defensively this Barcelona is on a different level compared to even Pep's team when under pressure.

Keeps It tidy

Hates Messi
They are now like Real of the past few seasons where you feel like you outplayed them for most of the match but, they create only 4 clear chances and finish 3 of them.

Captain Obvious

Dont understand people saying this Barca isnt impressive. They are the masters of deceit at the moment. I've read comments saying theyre not that good all the way from October to now. A team that isnt "that good" doesn't stay unbeaten for this long in la liga and after having faced atletico madrid, real madrid and a few others (cough cough the team we couldnt score against). Not to mention putting 4 goals past last seasons premier league champions.

I've watched the majority of their matches this season and they've always been the better team in a very weird way. They play very much like fraudsters where you think theyre poor, dont have much to fall back on, we can win this.. and then bang, they score. Then they score again. They ran riot against Madrid in december and are STILL unbeaten in La Liga. They've scored almost the same amount of goals as madrid but conceded 60% less.

The rule of law in most sports is that the best defense almost always beats the best offense. They've conceded just 13 goals in la Liga.

I had them as favourites to win the treble in September and still do. All they need is Messi to turn up at the later stages of all competitions like Madrid had Ronaldo do last year.

That being said, i'd love a Barca vs City tie

Eddy_JukeZ

I'd be shocked if they win it.

I think Valverde is a very average coach being made to look good/great by the genius that is Messi.

They've abandoned all of their principles almost.

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout

I think Valverde is a very average coach being made to look good/great by the genius that is Messi.

They haven’t always impressed me footballing-wise compared to previous Barca sides but I find it bizarre that anyone would be shocked by them winning it when it’s March and they’ve literally not lost a league or CL game yet. They’re going to be extraordinarily hard to stop and I reckon there’s only two or three teams left capable of doing so.

Eddy_JukeZ

Congratulations to Rosell and Bartomeu. They were thorough in ridding Barcelona of Johan Cruijff's ideology.

This Barcelona team play like an Italian team. defending in a low block 442, inability to play out of the back, terrible positional play, 3-5 players occupying one vertical column so they can't effectively sustain cohesive attacks, using the side backs in the build up and a non existent central axis. This team has more similarities with Juventus than Manchester City.

They depend almost exclusively on Messi providing indiviudual brilliance.
Yup indeed.

If they didn't have Messi, they'd be done for.

Eddy_JukeZ

They haven’t always impressed me footballing-wise compared to previous Barca sides but I find it bizarre that anyone would be shocked by them winning it when it’s March and they’ve literally not lost a league or CL game yet. They’re going to be extraordinarily hard to stop and I reckon there’s only two or three teams left capable of doing so.
It's harsh to say, but I think if they won it, they'd have "fluked it". And that seems crazy to say I know.

But they just limp through games. Messi is literally their entire attack.

They're not much different from us in terms of attacking structure.

Daysleeper

Supports
Barcelona
It's harsh to say, but I think if they won it, they'd have "fluked it". And that seems crazy to say I know.

But they just limp through games. Messi is literally their entire attack.

They're not much different from us in terms of attacking structure.
Yes, they "limped" to a 4-1 AGG.

OK

Daysleeper

Supports
Barcelona

Wrong again, Dembele has been injured most of this season, without him they lacked a winger hence the 4-4-2.

Barca fans have been ecstatic with Valverde, he's surpassed expectations about as much as any other manager in Europe considering Barca were expected to be the worst Barca of the decade, instead of the best defensively of the decade.

Messi has been amazing, no question about it, but Valverde's ability to keep the team so incredibly consistent, ability to adjust game to game, and unlike Luis Enrique actually make impactful subs has been fantastic. He's easily the most underrated manager in Europe, what he has done with the defense is astonishing.

Once Dembele gets more comfortable and Coutinho gets more chemistry with the squad I think next year's Barca will really show how great they are.

legolegs

duploarms
Supports
Ajax
With how fluid Football is it not always clear who is "attacking" and who is "defending".
Oh I'd certainly agree with that. It's just that in the quoted post it sounded much like the team that concedes the least goals is more likely to win the league than the team that scores the most goals.

Eddy_JukeZ

Wrong again, Dembele has been injured most of this season, without him they lacked a winger hence the 4-4-2.

Barca fans have been ecstatic with Valverde, he's surpassed expectations about as much as any other manager in Europe considering Barca were expected to be the worst Barca of the decade, instead of the best defensively of the decade.

Messi has been amazing, no question about it, but Valverde's ability to keep the team so incredibly consistent, ability to adjust game to game, and unlike Luis Enrique actually make impactful subs has been fantastic. He's easily the most underrated manager in Europe, what he has done with the defense is astonishing.

Once Dembele gets more comfortable and Coutinho gets more chemistry with the squad I think next year's Barca will really show how great they are.
Dembele played today and their structure is still poor.

Daysleeper

Supports
Barcelona
Dembele played today and their structure is still poor.
He played in the first half and Barca scored twice in the opening twenty minutes. His width on the wing was what made Barca far more formidable than they were in the first leg.

Dembele has hardly played, can't speak the lanaguage and we are already into March. Barca are at their most fluid in a 4-3-3 and were great especially in the first half. They got more defensive and went to a 4-4-2 in the second.

They were fantastic today, Valverde knows what he's doing.

Eddy_JukeZ

He played in the first half and Barca scored twice in the opening twenty minutes. His width on the wing was what made Barca far more formidable than they were in the first leg.

Dembele has hardly played, can't speak the lanaguage and we are already into March. Barca are at their most fluid in a 4-3-3 and were great especially in the first half. They got more defensive and went to a 4-4-2 in the second.

They were fantastic today, Valverde knows what he's doing.
They did score twice, but their attacking structure still isn't great.

We can agree to disagree though and see how it plays out.

Aboutreika18

Ah yes, the Cruyff-ites crawl out of the woodwork, waiting in anticipation for their own team to fail so they can say told you so. :rolleyes:

Where were you weirdos when Rijkaard won your team a league + CL double with Edmilson and van Bommel in midfield?

You'd think Guardiola invented football or something. Time's change, teams adapt.

RooneyLegend

They'll be exposed soon enough, can't for the life of me understand how they have such a strong defensive record. They hardly look stifling.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Ah yes, the Cruyff-ites crawl out of the woodwork, waiting in anticipation for their own team to fail so they can say told you so. :rolleyes:

Where were you weirdos when Rijkaard won your team a league + CL double with Edmilson and van Bommel in midfield?

You'd think Guardiola invented football or something. Time's change, teams adapt.
I don't think you need some strange devotion to a specific ideology to hold the opinion that this Barcelona team has some flaws which will may possibly be exposed by the best teams. They can clearly win the CL as they are an excellent team with excellent players. But I see them going out to a Bayern or City in the QFs or semis because I think they're too reliant on their defence which often relies on great defending rather than being conservative. So they give you a chance rather than shutting you out. And messi in attack of course.

For example I didn't think there was actually anything between them and Chelsea in general. It's just that their defence is better and Messi was superb in the finaf third.

WR10

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
They'll be exposed soon enough, can't for the life of me understand how they have such a strong defensive record. They hardly look stifling.
That baffles me. If you've watched more than a game of theirs this season you would understand. They defend with a block similar to a Mourinho style discipline. It is elevated to a much higher level due to their individual talents and obviously, Messi. This is why they look so deceiving in most games. They don't overwhelm in attack, but they're godly efficient. Again, due to Messi.

RooneyLegend

That baffles me. If you've watched more than a game of theirs this season you would understand. They defend with a block similar to a Mourinho style discipline. It is elevated to a much higher level due to their individual talents and obviously, Messi. This is why they look so deceiving in most games. They don't overwhelm in attack, but they're godly efficient. Again, due to Messi.
I watch plenty of their matches and still don't see it. There's nothing about their defending that resembles Mourinho, not sure where that notion comes from. If Chelsea had a coherent attack they'd have scored a fair number during the tie.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
I thought they were like any other team plus Messi. When Chelsea pressed, they panicked and gave away possession easily which is not something you associate with Barca.

Will be interesting to see if they play City or Bayern, whether they will give away possession and play on counters.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Three defenders who are great in 1vs1 and have great recovery thanks to their pace and timing(pique, umtiti and alba), an excellent DM giving them extra protection(busquets), flanked by an industrious partner(rakitic), a physical dynamo(paulinho), excellent preventive positioning all around, timing in challenges/tackles from virtually every player, a great high pressing line, the speed to defend counters with numerical superiority and the best goalkeeper in the world

And then, lots and lots of luck on top

Vialli_92

Supports
Juventus
They seem more balanced than ever but at the cost of less control over a game and being less potent in attack

It will be interesting to see them up against Real and Bayern

I think if they draw City they are as good as out as City are just stronger in every department bar having Messi available to them

Draconifire

Supports
FC Barcelona
Three defenders who are great in 1vs1 and have great recovery thanks to their pace and timing(pique, umtiti and alba), an excellent DM giving them extra protection(busquets), flanked by an industrious partner(rakitic), a physical dynamo(paulinho), excellent preventive positioning all around, timing in challenges/tackles from virtually every player, a great high pressing line, the speed to defend counters with numerical superiority and the best goalkeeper in the world

And then, lots and lots of luck on top
Blasphemy, you shouldn't say that in a united board. :P

Peyroteo

Professional Ronaldo PR Guy
Supports
Sporting CP
They seem more balanced than ever but at the cost of less control over a game and being less potent in attack

I think if they draw City they are as good as out as City are just stronger in every department bar having Messi available to them
How are City stronger in every department? Barcelona have better players in pretty much every single position.

I can see it going the way 2015 semifinals went with Pep being too adventurous and paying for it.

Cait Sith

Too much is being made out of this game where Iniesta rushed himself from injury and did not even last the obligatory 60 minutes against Chelsea's 6 man midfield nor is Dembélé even integrated into the starting lineup yet and played average despite his goal. Even this "industrial Barca" has a lot more control than what they showed last night.

Kapardin

Barca have been like this mostly under Valverde. People keep saying their opponents looked good and yet Barca keep winning. I'd say Valverde is doing a good enough job.

Treble

Too much is being made out of this game where Iniesta rushed himself from injury and did not even last the obligatory 60 minutes against Chelsea's 6 man midfield nor is Dembélé even integrated into the starting lineup yet and played average despite his goal. Even this "industrial Barca" has a lot more control than what they showed last night.
Against average or just good sides, sure. Against the best teams in Europe though? It's far from clear. Your main rival in the league this season is Atleti and they crashed out of the CL. Real have been a mess for big parts of the season. Maybe not anymore though. If you don't improve, the 1/4 finals could be curtains for you (unless you draw Sevilla/Roma, that is). Last night was a very uninspiring performance and the resut is hugely misleading. You didn't do much better in the first leg either when you barely bothered Courtuis who is badly out form now. You can win the thing, of course, but you must show well more to do it.

Vialli_92

Supports
Juventus
How are City stronger in every department? Barcelona have better players in pretty much every single position.

I can see it going the way 2015 semifinals went with Pep being too adventurous and paying for it.
City are a better team, they do everything Barca do only better

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley

Last night was a bit of an eye opening for me in the sense of while this isn't a great Barcelona side in an attacking sense they're now resolute defensively and if Messi is at it they're still more than capable to beating anyone

I really do hope its City v Barca in the next round it'll be a fascinating tie as I expect City to dominate the ball but will they be good enough to contain Messi and are they good enough to outscore them?

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid

He wasn't adventurous at all in that game, he set up to play for 0-0. Bayern were missing half their starting XI and the other half were unfit or playing with a broken face(lewandowski)

As for barcelona, well. Their success this season has been largely built on having better players than their opponents, and will stay true throughout, though Bayern, City, us and Juventus are close, real close

Aboutreika18

I don't think you need some strange devotion to a specific ideology to hold the opinion that this Barcelona team has some flaws which will may possibly be exposed by the best teams. They can clearly win the CL as they are an excellent team with excellent players. But I see them going out to a Bayern or City in the QFs or semis because I think they're too reliant on their defence which often relies on great defending rather than being conservative. So they give you a chance rather than shutting you out. And messi in attack of course.

For example I didn't think there was actually anything between them and Chelsea in general. It's just that their defence is better and Messi was superb in the finaf third.
Ultimately, I agree with everything you said and can see the viewpoints of these posters.

But my point is, they've been playing this way since pretty much 2008/09 season (although you can make the argument that even back then, they weren't as obsessed with possession) and continued in the same system and same manner even under different managers.

Eventually they were due to adapt their playing style, as we did many times under Fergie over the years. They've lost a huge player in Neymar and Dembele and Coutinho are still bedding in so trying to make a system that gets the best out of an aging Suarez and a Messi that doesn't do much defensive work these days, while providing a solid base for the side makes sense to me.

Whose to say that when Coutinho and Dembele are fully integrated, we won't see a return to the more fluid going forward Barca we've seen in the past?

Sunspear17

Supports
Chelsea
As much as City can definitely put a few past them, I also think City's defence has frailties and could ship a few too. It would be a very interesting clash. I do think City would pose a great threat though and have a great chance to beat them.

Johnny Love

Ya I don't see Barca going all the way, they are just too dependent on Messi to create any type of meaningful attack. Their midfield is too slow and and not physical enough to compensate lack of dynamics. I can see them getting by the next round though depending on the opponent.

Sayros

Supports
Paris Saint-Germain
Ya I don't see Barca going all the way, they are just too dependent on Messi to create any type of meaningful attack. Their midfield is too slow and and not physical enough to compensate lack of dynamics. I can see them getting by the next round though depending on the opponent.
I can see them going all the way, Madrid was just as dependent on Cristiano the last couple of wins they had. If Dembele and Coutinho progress and get more involved with the rest of the team, I don't see why they couldn't win it all with an inspired Messi.

Schneckerl

I can see them going all the way, Madrid was just as dependent on Cristiano the last couple of wins they had. If Dembele and Coutinho progress and get more involved with the rest of the team, I don't see why they couldn't win it all with an inspired Messi.
Coutinho progressing won't help their CL chances this season though.