Barcelona: Charged with corruption .... again!

redshaw

Aguero could be the main man there now, I can understand him feeling a bit upset about Messi but Barca still have a good squad and I'm sure he'll bag a lot of goals over there.

Sayros

Supports
Paris Saint-Germain
Aguero could be the main man there now, I can understand him feeling a bit upset about Messi but Barca still have a good squad and I'm sure he'll bag a lot of goals over there.
He's already looking to cancel his contract according to reports.

Sayros

Supports
Paris Saint-Germain
Barcelona to struggle to make top 4 this season?
I think they can still do it, they have enough quality there to do so, but the problem is the massive adjustment of not having Messi on the team anymore. Griezmann will benefit by returning to his favored position if the Cules don't get to him first, but it will take time for them to find their new identity and they need to figure it out without getting left in the dust.

FCBarcelona

Supports
FC Barcelona
Is Aguero also leaving with messi?
i would love it, but he will stay

Question.

Presumably Barca didn't fail La Liga FFP rules previously so what tipped them over?

Covid drop income, new players, both, something else?

What were they (income : wages) pre Covid?
bartomeu used to wash financials with creative accounting like selling arthur 70m and buying pjanic (60), he did the same with more swaps.
besides, he signed contracts for players that grew over time. numbers are invented but imagine, you sign a player and the contract says that you will pay him 10-12-14-16-18 for 5 years. it means that you salaries are higher every year and the player is older making complicated to drop him if needed, but that was the only way he had to sign players and comply with FFP. add years and players and you have created a monster. besides, a lot of clauses to increase what the team pays for a player. since he couldn't spend 100 million for a player, he did something like 60 + 60 in further years with easy conditions, increasing the fixed costs for following years.

numbers always on the line and dangerous, but anyway still affordable (although extremely expensive).

then covid came, revenued dropped +300M in a year (and we had 1.5 years of covid at this point) and what was already on the edge just failed and it is unpayable (this made the salaries > revenues). the FFP rules demands a >50% drop in salaries, and you can imagine it is very difficult. the high salaries makes it even more complicated.

Even if we can pay the debt by not signing players (only free/very cheap transfers) we cannot use those players due to FFP rules. so it is a combination of factors. within 2 years salaries would decrease a lot because big contracts are over, and you expect to get some extra revenues because there will be people in the stadium, etc., but FFP cannot wait 2 years.

Is there a ELI5 guide on how such big organizations can run losses after losses, yet still in business without any lenders chasing them?

I mean as small business, losses have huge bearings, and banks don't give any leverage. It's completely unsustainable for small business while big business have it easy?
no losses until this year. i explain above some of the "tricks" that felon bartomeu used. the situation was critic but still manageable with some hard years but covid complicated things over 9000.

Because, frankly, the Spanish (and Italian) governments don't go after them for tax in the same way that the UK Government, the French or German Government does their clubs. Ergo, players are excused huge portions of their wages (see Ronaldo at Juventus) and clubs basically do whatever they want.

The issue now? There's a pandemic on. Those governments need the money, and they simply don't care/can't afford to grant the same amount of leeway that they have in the past.
wtf man? :lol:
if this is not the biggest bs i have read in my lifetime it will be close

0161_UNITED

This made me think about some years ago, when I posted that I suspected the FFP Rules were really going to have more of an effect and impact on clubs spending well outside their means, and was really more of a protection to prevent clubs going bankrupt through unsustainable spending, like Barca having Neymar, Messi and Suarez, and also Ronaldo's nuclear arms race with Messi on contracts when he was at Real Madrid. I got shouted down from the rafters by all sorts that, "No! no! no! FFP is all about stopping City and PSG." Well, here we are, gents.

dinostar77

Its seems somewhat strange, that Barcelona got into this mess originally because they lost Neymar to PSG. Now they are losing Messi to PSG because of the actions they took after losing Neymar to PSG. Ouroborus.

FCBarcelona

Supports
FC Barcelona
Being reported that Aguero wants out as well now
fake news, unfortunately

I think Barca fans wouldn't mind Aguero leaving.
i would mind, because it would make me happy.

This made me think about some years ago, when I posted that I suspected the FFP Rules were really going to have more of an effect and impact on clubs spending well outside their means, and was really more of a protection to prevent clubs going bankrupt through unsustainable spending, like Barca having Neymar, Messi and Suarez, and also Ronaldo's nuclear arms race with Messi on contracts when he was at Real Madrid. I got shouted down from the rafters by all sorts that, "No! no! no! FFP is all about stopping City and PSG." Well, here we are, gents.
FFP does not stop City or PSG because they can create fake contracts, buy some gifts to certain people (ehemferino...) and they will be fine.
FFP does not apply to the outlaws.

Behind the right goal post as "Whiteside shoots!"
i would love it, but he will stay

bartomeu used to wash financials with creative accounting like selling arthur 70m and buying pjanic (60), he did the same with more swaps.
besides, he signed contracts for players that grew over time. numbers are invented but imagine, you sign a player and the contract says that you will pay him 10-12-14-16-18 for 5 years. it means that you salaries are higher every year and the player is older making complicated to drop him if needed, but that was the only way he had to sign players and comply with FFP. add years and players and you have created a monster. besides, a lot of clauses to increase what the team pays for a player. since he couldn't spend 100 million for a player, he did something like 60 + 60 in further years with easy conditions, increasing the fixed costs for following years.

numbers always on the line and dangerous, but anyway still affordable (although extremely expensive).

then covid came, revenued dropped +300M in a year (and we had 1.5 years of covid at this point) and what was already on the edge just failed and it is unpayable (this made the salaries > revenues). the FFP rules demands a >50% drop in salaries, and you can imagine it is very difficult. the high salaries makes it even more complicated.

Even if we can pay the debt by not signing players (only free/very cheap transfers) we cannot use those players due to FFP rules. so it is a combination of factors. within 2 years salaries would decrease a lot because big contracts are over, and you expect to get some extra revenues because there will be people in the stadium, etc., but FFP cannot wait 2 years.

no losses until this year. i explain above some of the "tricks" that felon bartomeu used. the situation was critic but still manageable with some hard years but covid complicated things over 9000.

wtf man? :lol:
if this is not the biggest bs i have read in my lifetime it will be close
Any chance they get relegated if they can’t meet ffp?

groovyalbert

it's a mute point
How's Pedri feeling after all this? Sure him and his pal Fati might fancy a change of scenery...

TsuWave

Lots of get Frenkie mentions but I think he's mentioned he doesn't like the PL.
I tried to look this up, couldn’t find anything. The only thing I’ve found:

Happy and settled at Barcelona, the midfielder compared the Premier League and LaLiga. "I used to think that LaLiga was the strongest football league in the world," De Jong told The Mirror. "You could see their dominance in European Cup competitions. The Spanish clubs always progressed a long way and often grabbed the main trophies, the Champions League and Europa League. But the Premier League has gained power over the last few years. When it comes to pure skills, LaLiga is better. But because of the sheer intensity, the English competition is at a slightly higher level."

https://en.as.com/en/2019/12/29/soccer/1577607349_992427.amp.html

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
Of a club that can't afford to compete with the best...
They've got age on their side and plus Barca will always be one of the worlds major clubs , with one of Europe's most unique and world renowned stadiums with a huge support.

They're in a bad shape granted but they're not going to fall off the earth.

alexthelion

No one sane thinks Cruyff is in the conversation for GOAT. With due respect, I don't think you understand what GOAT means if you think he is. Trophy count alone or coaching is not enough to get in that debate.
Pele, Maradona, Cruyff and Messi. Probably the four greatest players ever, so, yes, he is in the conversation.

TrustInOle

They've got age on their side and plus Barca will always be one of the worlds major clubs , with one of Europe's most unique and world renowned stadiums with a huge support.

They're in a bad shape granted but they're not going to fall off the earth.
A.C. Milan would say otherwise. :lol:

Red&Black

Supports
Milan
A.C. Milan would say otherwise. :lol:
still have massive support globally and are on the way back up... we suffered from silvio holding on 5yrs too long and selling to a man no one heard of who "chose" to default handing the club over to Elliott (ask anyone who knows anything, and this was definitely a masterfully articulated plan)..

We are now in the hands of an ownership and mgmt that are building w financial meticulousness and focusing on totally modernizing the club (things that had NEVER been done)... this is part of the reason why we're the ONLY italian club who have spent this summer, and will still be spenidng... while the league winners are losing every piece that made them win and to which the revenue geenrated is going directly to repaying their ownership's massive debts (and not being reinvested)

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
Well we were relegated and yet we were still drawing in major interest.

Barcelona, like us and AC, have a foothold in the game. We're established major clubs.

Anyway, Barca still have a potentially good side on their hands.

Foxbatt

Probably Maradona. The rest had long professional careers whereas one had incredible heights but marred by drug addiction issues.
Maradona didn't do much at Barca. He had a much better career in International football.

Dave Smith

Supports
Anything anti-Dipper
Its seems somewhat strange, that Barcelona got into this mess originally because they lost Neymar to PSG. Now they are losing Messi to PSG because of the actions they took after losing Neymar to PSG. Ouroborus.
Yeah, PSG weren't the hero's we wanted, but have ended up the hero's we needed.

All we need now is for them to make the Dippers lose their mind.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
I can’t remember it completely but I recall even during their peak years with Pep that Barcelona had massive debts.

Eddy_JukeZ

Aguero is finished at the top level.

Eddy_JukeZ

They're about to go through a banter era.

They are in serious trouble. It all started after the Neymar move to PSG. Their handling of transfers/finances since then have been completely catastrophic.