Barcelona: Charged with corruption .... again!

Sayros

Supports
Paris Saint-Germain
They're about to go through a banter era.

They are in serious trouble. It all started after the Neymar move to PSG. Their handling of transfers/finances since then have been completely catastrophic.
That one gave them a serious daze for the next few years. What a spectacular descent into financial catastrophy. I'm too young to think of another example quite like this for a major European club, maybe the Milan clubs and Serie A as a whole which was dominant in my youth.

Wolf1992

Supports
No team in particular.
Maradona didn't do much at Barca. He had a much better career in International football.
Maradona did good at Barca, nothing great or fantastic, but he did good...thing is he was there only for 2 seasons, he is not as important as Cruyff in the History of Barcelona.

BTW Maradona's addiction to cocaine started in Spain, as he started to consume the drug when he was living in Barcelona, when he moved to Italy he was already a drug addict, which is why by 30 he was semiretired from top Football.

WPMUFC

30% of their revenue out the door, no transfer fee, reduction in wages with depature still leaves Barca at some crazy % of wages-to-turnover.

"on the brink" seems pretty pretty tame.

El Presidente

We should bid for De Jong and see
I was thinking the same thing. Then I found out that De Jong is on 450k p/w… De Jong is 21…

Sometimes, I look at the Glazers and the Kroenkes and think to myself - how can a billionaire run his business so incompetently. But then you look at whatever the feck Bartomeu was thinking he’s doing and I’m, honestly, lost for words.

Sayros

Supports
Paris Saint-Germain
I was thinking the same thing. Then I found out that De Jong is on 450k p/w… De Jong is 21…

Sometimes, I look at the Glazers and the Kroenkes and think to myself - how can a billionaire run his business so incompetently. But then you look at whatever the feck Bartomeu was thinking he’s doing and I’m, honestly, lost for words.
It's almost as if he came in as a saboteur. Even if you intentionally wanted to ruin the club, it would have been hard to do better.

Mr Smith

Fair to say Bartomeu won't ever be welcome in Barcelona or even Spain again. If I was a Barca fan I'd want him arrested. Under his leadership Barca went from the best team in the world and at the club's absolute historical peak, to a club in financial ruin who have been forced to let go of their best ever player for free due to having signed inferior players on contracts that far overestimated their value. It's almost like Bartomeu was a Madrid sleeper agent.

Wolf1992

Supports
No team in particular.

Neither Kroenke and Glazers have done bad businesses wise, they even boosted the economic of their clubs.
Fans are mad at them because sportswise their clubs have not competed seriously for PL and CL, in the case of United is worse because obviously people expect them to compete in Europe unlike Arsenal who was never a big team in european football, only in England.

Hastar

Supports
Liverpool
That one gave them a serious daze for the next few years. What a spectacular descent into financial catastrophy. I'm too young to think of another example quite like this for a major European club, maybe the Milan clubs and Serie A as a whole which was dominant in my youth.
You can add Leeds and Deportivo to that. I especially feel bad for Deportivo. They were a fun side to watch for a brief time.

Inter, though not in grave danger, have an issue but they seem to be correcting themselves.

redshaw

De Jong was set for PSG then Barca desperate not to be outdone came in with a bigger wage offer. PSG have haunted them for a long time and Messi drops into their lap.

This should be a big lesson that you can't compete with oil clubs whenever you want, you have to cut your cloth accordingly and not keep borrowing too far into the future as something like Covid can devastate you. Bigger fish have now entered the game who can pay more and that has to be accepted by the likes of United, Madrid Barca. With the Neymar money they had a chance to bank it, stay solid and even entice Neymar back later when things were still not happening at PSG and he wanted to come back but have completely lost.

It's incredible how much they spend on Coutinho only to loan him out next year to Bayern who then scores 2 late goals and assist another against Barca to make it a humiliating 7-2 loss in the CL. They borrow more money to buy Griezmann then their good striker Suarez leaves to help Atletico win the league.

Good thing for Barcelona is they can reset and come back strong.

Last edited:

fps

BBC Sport suggesting Barcelona have agreed terms with Renato Sanches. What on Earth?

dinostar77

Laporta said letting Messi leave has reduced the salaries of the club to 95% of the total income rather than 110%.

Seeing as anything about 70% incurs FFP penalties. Not sure why UEFA arent getting involved.

Ladron de redcafe

Laporta said letting Messi leave has reduced the salaries of the club to 95% of the total income rather than 110%.

Seeing as anything about 70% incurs FFP penalties. Not sure why UEFA arent getting involved.
If I'm not mistaken, that's La Liga's salary cap, which is separate from UEFA's FFP cap. That's why Barcelona were holding out hope that this mess could be resolved by apply pressure on Tebas.

Pavl3n

How does all that translate into FFP's language?

I know the 500m loss that is being talked about is loss of revenue, but with stupid wages like the ones they were giving away - soon they could operate on loss.

Steve 007

Will I get shot if I suggested we nip in for Aguero. Yes I know he’s a city legend but they let him go when he still has a lot to offer. Could be back up for Cavani and he was one of the best denier league strikers for many many years.
Going to put my gum shield and my helmet on

crossy1686

career ending
So Aguero can't be registered at the moment and is trying to get out of his contract according to reports :lol:

Jesus, what a mess, this is amazing after the sanctimonious shit Barcelona have been preaching for years.

crossy1686

career ending
How does all that translate into FFP's language?

I know the 500m loss that is being talked about is loss of revenue, but with stupid wages like the ones they were giving away - soon they could operate on loss.
FFP is dead after the City case. It's La Liga who have imposed a salary cap based on income

Steve 007

Damn, Glazers look great now, aren't they?:lol:
The Glazers came into a self sustaining club and put it in a lot of debt, which we are still in and have took out a lot of cash in dividends etc..
Over a billion. They have spent money on players (no matter what you read on here) and they have made our revenues stronger.
I’m not a fan personally but they have done a few good things and I think we are finally getting somewhere.

Robertd0803

Barcelona run their club like 13 year old Pexbo ran his clubs on Championship Manager 01/02.
Im willing to bet you would have ran the club better.
Its seems somewhat strange, that Barcelona got into this mess originally because they lost Neymar to PSG. Now they are losing Messi to PSG because of the actions they took after losing Neymar to PSG. Ouroborus.
Its even funnier to think that Barca brought all this on themselves by publically flirting with Veratti and pissing off PSGs owners to begin with.

Will I get shot if I suggested we nip in for Aguero. Yes I know he’s a city legend but they let him go when he still has a lot to offer. Could be back up for Cavani and he was one of the best denier league strikers for many many years.
It would almost be worth it for the meltdown from City fans.

Dave Smith

Supports
Anything anti-Dipper
Fair to say Bartomeu won't ever be welcome in Barcelona or even Spain again. If I was a Barca fan I'd want him arrested. Under his leadership Barca went from the best team in the world and at the club's absolute historical peak, to a club in financial ruin who have been forced to let go of their best ever player for free due to having signed inferior players on contracts that far overestimated their value. It's almost like Bartomeu was a Madrid sleeper agent.
Whatever he was, I need to buy him a drink.

VanDeBank

Ma’am
Good shout. It would also mean we can move Martial on, since his primary role would have been competition for Greenwood/Elanga as backup CF behind Cavani and we should be in the race for Haaland next year.

There's no way Barca make the requirements without selling De Jong/Pedri/Fati. De Jong is the only one that plays in a position we really need strengthening in. We should be all over him as well.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
The Glazers came into a self sustaining club and put it in a lot of debt, which we are still in and have took out a lot of cash in dividends etc..
Over a billion. They have spent money on players (no matter what you read on here) and they have made our revenues stronger.
I’m not a fan personally but they have done a few good things and I think we are finally getting somewhere.
That is what i think too. They are not good owners, they are leechers but they are not bad in everything like it is presented here.
Our business in covid era was pretty smart.

Pavl3n

FFP is dead after the City case. It's La Liga who have imposed a salary cap based on income
I guess this is some chance for them for redemption and proof that such 'police' still exists. I guess there won't be any actions taken.

BusbyMalone

First Man Falling
Pedri, Arthur, vidal and de Jong have been good value. The rest not so much.

Shocking return on the 370m they spent on Dembele, Coutinho and Griezmann.
Would you include Vidal in that? I never really rated him much at all, and he's gone now, hasn't he? De Jong definitely COULD be value though. Absolute quality. But don't think he's done it quite yet. Which is difficult, granted.

Oly Francis

Supports
PSG

There's no salary cap in the present version of UEFA's FFP, it's an urban legend, it can just trigger an early audit.

Tom Cato

Godt nyttår!
Barcelona FC is owned by its members.

I legitimately believe that the gross negligence and incompetence of Bartomeu and the way he's handled the clubs finances rises to a case of 'Failure to Meet Fiduciary Duties'

In many countries, that can ultimately render a criminal charge. If he's proven to overspend the clubs finances to such a degree that he's threatening the very existence of the company, or maybe even more importantly, the moneylenders investment, there is real precedent that adresses thos issues. I don't know Catalan law, but there has to be a bank director or 5 who are absolutely fuming about what they're learning about the clubs finance, and inability to repay enormous loans.

If he's knowingly allowed the club to spend more than their operational income on things like salaries, that is far and beyond the worst handling of finances in modern football, and that includes the famous bankrupcy clubs.

Someone

Something
I don't think Barca will completely crumble. They still have a good squad and are good enough to make top 4, but it could be a while before they're a force in europe again.

They really need to find a better manager though, someone like klopp who could maka a difference. Right now Koeman feels like a dead man walking without even a game played this season.

PeteManic

From a pure football point of view, I think that Messi leaving is a blessing in disguise. No team can afford to have a superstar player in their side these days. The best teams really need 11 players working for each other. Especially when the team is as mediocre as Barca is.

But La Liga has gone to shit. Of course you can point to PSG, but I'd like to know the odds for all English teams in all the Euro finals next year.

Tallis

Barca should try to have PSG also take Griezmann so he can play with his buddy Messi. That’s another €40-50mm of annual wages. Then Juve take Pjanic, void the contract of Umtiti and guilt Pique into retiring.

VanDeBank

Ma’am
Barca should try to have PSG also take Griezmann so he can play with his buddy Messi. That’s another €40-50mm of annual wages. Then Juve take Pjanic, void the contract of Umtiti and guilt Pique into retiring.
PSG are so stacked they don't need Griezmann, but even if they (or someone else) would take him on loan, Barca would have to pay at least 40% of his wages.
  • Pjanic hasn't played in a over a year. Barca would still have to pay half of his ridiculous salary
  • Umtiti says no to voiding his contract and he's so shit no one would wants him on loan
  • Pique says no. He'll mostly sit on the bench and come in for the odd 3 at the back game
They are forced to sell one of the big 3 (De Jong, Pedri, Fati) and that scenario would still include paying some players to feck off (Griezman, Coutinho, Roberto).