Barcelona: Charged with corruption .... again!

Acrobat7

Supports
Bayern Munich
As somebody involved in the legal field… I got some news for you…
I might have worked at a credit rating agency... If ESMA finds a connection between sales and analysts they can basically close shop and pay some millions on top of it.

Dave Smith

Supports
Anything anti-Dipper
The only solution left for Barca is to not register players like Pjanic etc. There's no market for older players on ridiculous wages who didn't perform in last 12-24 months and I guess sending them on loan somewhere and then pay 60-70% of their wages won't solve anything.
I am under the belief that they cannot unregister players they don't want to use to then add more. Someone correct me if I am wrong, but don't they have to shift they contracted players first to clear some room before registering other players?

I was certain this was the case as otherwise teams could just stockpile players.

Whatever it is, this has proven that oil money has single handedly bought titles and prestige to teams like Chelsea and Man City.

There was a period when we didn't spend as much and that's why we're having title drought now.
That chart is gross spend, it isn't net. Net spend is always a much better indicator than gross. Pretty sure Utd have taken over Chelsea in the net spend.

Utd's drought is due to poor planning for SAF's departure and bad recruitment. It isn't to do with spending.

Lagger

Supports
FC Bayern
Bayern Munich paid the stadium by selling 25% of the team to big corporations!!! where do you think the money came from? hahaha.
If Barça sells 25% of the club we could pay all the debt tomorrow.

Again, debt is not bad. Debt is the most common instrument for business and people to grow. You can compete if you don't break the rules. What rules is Barça breaking? Barça issues are more related to LaLiga rules (salaries as a % of revenues) than money itself. The Covid sank Barça revenues over 300M euros. The salary cap from LaLiga changed dramatically. The salaries were too high but payable. It doesn't matter if we can pay them now because we have a rock solid salary cap from LaLiga that we need to respect.

Also, a big chunk of Barça's debt is also related to the stadium and other facilities, the "Spai Barça". It is around 700M euros. So, again... we could sell the club and pay for the stadium and facilities upgrades and pay the debt.

It is laughable to say that you are great because you sell your club to pay for the stadium and other clubs try to avoid and pay the debt by themselves. You exchanged 25% of the club for a stadium. Barça wants to pay the debt by itself and don't sell anything (at least for now). That debt is the majority of the 1B you are talking about.
Oh wait, so you think you know how Bayern operates? Here's the inside scoop for you, since you know so much about finances...

The professional Bayern team is part of the Bayern Munich AG (think Incorporated). The AG has sold 25%. 75% is held by.... Bayern München e.V., the original club. Guess who the owner of that club is? Yes, just like Barca, it's a traditional 100% member owned club. So when you make comparisons like that, inform yourself. Cos it's not like you make it out to be.

I never said debt is bad. I said Barca's debt is massively excessive and not sustainable unless they are propped up artificially. Rangers went bust for a lot less problems. The stadium in Munich? Cost them a chunk, but they paid it off. In full. On their own. Barca's stadium is grand, but it's much older. Why is it still on the books as debt? It should've been paid off a long time ago. And the upgrades they are doing shouldn't explain a debt of 700 million Euros. Heck, you could build two Camp Nous with 700 million Euros...

I didn't say we're great because we sold 25% of the AG. I didn't even say we're great. I said Barca should have its professional license revoked until they can get their finances in check. Or go bust like the Rangers did. They have no place in the first league. And sure, it'll be a loss for football, but honestly football isn't a game of crooks cheating their way through finances. Other teams came and went, we'll survive Barca not boing in the first league for a while. Football survived Juve being relegated, Rangers being relegated.

Barca ISN'T paying for the debt themselves. That's the whole point. They're just not paying off the debt. They're only piling on more debt. What is it with some people not understanding that while "debt as investment" is good, "any debt, even unsustainable debt" is bloody stupid and should be avoided. Which sick mind came up with the idea that going into debt for the sake of being in debt is in any way a smart business decision? You can do numbers, can't you?

Last edited:

Dave Smith

Supports
Anything anti-Dipper
Oh wait, so you think you know how Bayern operates? Here's the inside scoop for you, since you know so much about finances...

The professional Bayern team is part of the Bayern Munich AG (think Incorporated). The AG has sold 25%. 75% is held by.... Bayern München e.V., the original club. Guess who the owner of that club is? Yes, just like Barca, it's a traditional 100% member owned club. So when you make comparisons like that, inform yourself. Cos it's not like you make it out to be.

I never said debt is bad. I said Barca's debt is massively excessive and not sustainable unless they are propped up artificially. Rangers went bust for a lot less problems. The stadium in Munich? Cost them a chunk, but they paid it off. In full. On their own. Barca's stadium is grand, but it's much older. Why is it still on the books as debt? It should've been paid off a long time ago. And the upgrades they are doing shouldn't explain a debt of 700 million Euros. Heck, you could build two Camp Nous with 700 million Euros...

I didn't say we're great because we sold 25% of the AG. I didn't even say we're great. I said Barca should have its professional license revoked until they can get their finances in check. Or go bust like the Rangers did. They have no place in the first league. And sure, it'll be a loss for football, but honestly football isn't a game of crooks cheating their way through finances. Other teams came and went, we'll survive Barca not boing in the first league for a while. Football survived Juve being relegated, Rangers being relegated.

Barca ISN'T paying for the debt themselves. That's the whole point. They're just not paying off the debt. They're only piling on more debt. What is it with some people not understanding that while "debt as investment" is good, "any debt, even unsustainable debt" is bloody stupid and should be avoided. Which sick mind came up with the idea that going into debt for the sake of being in debt is in any way a smart business decision? You can do numbers, can't you?
Let's face it, everyone associated with Barca are in denial.

Oly Francis

Supports
PSG
That's a very weird way to put it though, Bayern isn't owned by another club, it's 75% owned by an association, and the 25% remaining are owned by Audi, Allianz and Adidas. Barcelona is 100% owned by its members. Not saying that one is better than the other since Bayern proved to be a very stable and well managed structure but that's the way it is, it's not "just like Barca".

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96
That's a very weird way to put it though, Bayern isn't owned by another club, it's 75% owned by an association, and the 25% remaining are owned by Audi, Allianz and Adidas. Barcelona is 100% owned by its members. Not saying that one is better than the other since Bayern proved to be a very stable and well managed structure but that's the way it is, it's not "just like Barca".
What you call an "association" is the actual club. The professional football team is organised as a company, and the club owns 75% of the company and therefore the club members still have full control over the football team, as they decide who the club sends to be the CEO of the team. So in that regard it is just like Barca, but just organised in a different way.

Oly Francis

Supports
PSG
What you call an "association" is the actual club. The professional football team is organised as a company, and the club owns 75% of the company and therefore the club members still have full control over the football team, as they decide who the club sends to be the CEO of the team. So in that regard it is just like Barca, but just organised in a different way.
I get what you mean, as a lawyer i have a hard time with this comparison since the AG do own the professionnal team and its IP rights but members do indeed control the decisions taken by the shareholders during general meetings.

The Purley King

,………And sure, it'll be a loss for football, but honestly football isn't a game of crooks cheating their way through finances.
Erm…….. little bit awkward……… wasn’t sure whether to bring it up ………… but it seems you’ve been living under a rock for the last 15 years………

kingwaynerooney

Supports
United
Just read what Laporta had to say. He says all the players there can be registered and he would like to sign more players so wants flexibility from the league regarding salary cap issue.

Dave Smith

Supports
Anything anti-Dipper
Just read what Laporta had to say. He says all the players there can be registered and he would like to sign more players so wants flexibility from the league regarding salary cap issue.
When I read these statements from Barca I am started to be reminded of that Iraqi defence minster who was saying that Iraq/Saddam was fine as the tanks were rolling in behind him.

Last edited:

Mb194dc

Supports
Chelsea
When I read these statements from Barca I am started to be reminded of that Iraqi defence minster who was saying that Iraq/Saddam was fine as the tanks were rolling in behind him.
Yup, looks to me like Barcelona management are playing chicken with La liga. The avoiding facing reality strategy...

Of course if La Liga bin the rules off, would just be inviting even more financial problems, from Barcelona and other teams. So can't see how they can give in.

Barcelona will have to field a team of kids in first game. No Messi or new signings.

Then presumably fire sale of marketable players before window closes to get under the la Liga cap?

fps

BBC gossip (I know, but fun) says Barça are going to unveil a new 5 year deal for Messi. Can you imagine.

Robertd0803

Still expect La Liga to cave in. They shouldnt and it would be grossly unfair on other teams but Id be amazed if they left one of the leagues main draws actually start the season in the current situation.

They shouldnt either for the record but can see some sort of arrangement being made.

choccy77

BBC gossip (I know, but fun) says Barça are going to unveil a new 5 year deal for Messi. Can you imagine.
Saw this and it's bonkers.

Barca think they will still be in business when Messi turns 39 after he bankrupts them.

De Portago

Supports
Red Star
Government and the league always coming to Barca and Madrid's rescue.
There was no doubt whatsoever of that outcome. Basically there is as much chance of Real or Barcelona truly going under as the state of Spain itself dissolving.

Daysleeper

Supports
Barcelona

There we go, Barca are saved from total collapse.
Of course they are, only genuine idiots thought they’d be bankrupt or whatever rubbish was spouted in here for months. They’re still not in a great place financially but they’ll be fine in the end.

Powderfinger

Supports
Arsenal
People will focus on Barcelona for understandable reasons but Real was in decent financial position anyway. Getting a 250m cash infusion absolutely puts them into play for signing both Mbappe and Haaland next summer.

Mb194dc

Supports
Chelsea
It's private equity vultures and requires la Liga to give them 10% of their revenue, indefinitely by the look of it.

Most likely gets voted down by clubs. Like the Italian deal with same private equity firm.

LondonRed

It's private equity vultures and requires la Liga to give them 10% of their revenue, indefinitely by the look of it.

Most likely gets voted down by clubs. Like the Italian deal with same private equity firm.
10% of profit not revenue is generally how these things work

Mb194dc

Supports
Chelsea
10% of profit not revenue is generally how these things work
Read the Reuters article, it's revenue...

Deal benefits few big clubs who will get money for stadiums etc and screws the rest.

Can't see Turkeys voting for Christmas, but you never know.

MikeUpNorth

Wobbles like a massive pair of tits
I guess the financial situation leaves them with few options, but selling 10% of the league to a private equity firm is a pretty drastic and potentially short-sighted move.

Teja

Read the Reuters article, it's revenue...

Deal benefits few big clubs who will get money for stadiums etc and screws the rest.

Can't see Turkeys voting for Christmas, but you never know.
That actually seems like a really shitty deal. Anyone know why they didn't just borrow the money given the low interest rates?

Some back of envelope math: La Liga makes ~$5bn a year and 10% of revenues is $500m / yr. So in 6 years, you pay the $3bn back.

Foxbatt

There was no doubt whatsoever of that outcome. Basically there is as much chance of Real or Barcelona truly going under as the state of Spain itself dissolving.
Now that's a fact. The Spanish Courts and the government will bail them out. As they have done in the past.