Barcelona: Charged with corruption .... again!

dinostar77

ffs :lol:
When it rains it pours. Its going to be fascinating to watch Barcelona this season. Lost their greatest ever player, new striker out for 10 weeks. Players asked to take paycut. Others Barcelona actively tried to get rid of and couldn't. Koeman has a helluva job on his hands this season.

dinostar77

I don't really see that shift in European football to be honest. Barcelona has many problems but La Masia isn't one of them. If anything abandoning the typical Barca style was what got them in their current situation.

I mean, which teams are you referring to? Liverpool seems to be the only one fitting the description to a degree.
Liverpool, Bayern (under hansi flick), even spurs when they made the final under poch etc. I was listening to a podcast awhile back and they talked about Barcelona not producing enough players like Adam Toure that, although not good enough for the A team. They would be good enough to sell for a decent profit to PL etc.

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
Liverpool, Bayern (under hansi flick), even spurs when they made the final under poch etc. I was listening to a podcast awhile back and they talked about Barcelona not producing enough players like Adam Toure that, although not good enough for the A team. They would be good enough to sell for a decent profit to PL etc.
The EPL is dominated by a team that lacks such players completely and they did so for quite a few years. Bayern had maybe one player that fits your description in Goretzka. If anything, the EPL should move away from valuing physique so much. That aside Barca isn't reall dependent selling youth players they don't need. They already had the hoghest revenue in the world before the pandemic.

if you really look at the best teams.of the past 5-10 years, they are usually technically very good and have very tidy decision making. The physical beasts you are referring to are rarely found at all. Moreover, one could even argue that physically strong players aren't even the best for pressing tactics. Verratti, Modric, Bernardo Silva, Iniesta, Xavi, Thisgo, etc. are very good at pressing and usually run more than 11 km per game - and just as important, they are at the same time the counter to being pressed. I'd say the typical Barca player is more important than ever. Arguably even Liverpool had one in Wijnaldum and inarguably Klopp thought adding Thiago would improve his very own squad.

I don't really see that shift in European football to be honest. Barcelona has many problems but La Masia isn't one of them. If anything abandoning the typical Barca style was what got them in their current situation.

I mean, which teams are you referring to? Liverpool seems to be the only one fitting the description to a degree.
Chelsea too maybe? It’s a bit odd, Spain just pretty much played the European Champions off the park with 70% possession using these kind of players.

TsuWave

If this is true, we should tell De Jong and Pedri to join us here at Death Row records.

Bole Top

think they'll be fine results wise, any by that I mean top 3 should be considered as good enough in current situation. they already lost last 2 titles to Madrid and Atletico and it's not like they were actually competing in CL. I don't think there will be drastic decline, they will just be further from trophies they weren't winning even with Messi. it is how it is.

Hansi Fick

Supports
FC Bayern

If this is true, we should tell De Jong and Pedri to join us here at Death Row records.
Why would Barca react to the problem of not being able to register their incoming transfers by selling their two best young players? :lol:

Mb194dc

Supports
Chelsea

Figures, now where are those calculations Laporta was talking about earlier in the thread...!

Beans

Supports
Neutral
No one wants their players.
Bad timing as pretty much everyone lost money last season thanks to the pandemic.

Bargaining position is terrible as everyone knows they’re desperate.

None of their competitors are very eager to help them, even if one of their players would seem to make a small difference.

United fans should know, watching the likes of Romero and Rojo struggle to get sold or even loaned. And it’s surely because teams don’t want to set a precedent. Pay for 80% of the wages just to get rid of a player and everyone who you try to loan a player to will ask for the same discount, they’d be mad not to try.

It’s like overpaying for players, every team tried to take us to the cleaners for years after we started throwing around money. Finally had to hold off on signing Bruno just to prove to teams that we wouldn’t be held to random anymore.

Barca’s situations looks so dire that i expect they’ll have to made some bad deals, but I won’t be shocked if they’re given a way out.

zkap

Supports
Barça
We could help them out by signing Frenkie or Pedri.
You'd actually help us by signing two of our best players and the only reasons to actually feel optimistic about watching a Barça match,
That's how bad it is.

Acheron

Supports
Real Madrid
No one can tell me he didn’t purposefully injure himself to try to find a way out of this Barcelona contract :lol:
Wouldn't rule that out but I'm not sure if this is a good thing or not for Barcelona in their current situation.

tjb

This period will really test the size of Barca. Will they still be a top 5 team in terms of revenue generation, value, fans or will they sink like the Milan clubs did. My guess is in the middle.

I don't think they continue to thrive on those off the pitch fronts like United or Madrid have during their dark moments, however I don't think they will fall off in the way the Milan teams did or even the way Arsenal did. Unlike Arsenal, they have the European pedigree to keep their status as a jugganaught. And they've always been able to get the best South American players, in addition, there are still many Pep acolytes who still believe in the legacy of Tika taka. I see then going the way of Bayern when they have those patchy moments; a non-competitive league to win or get into Europe buy without the fanfare and revenue generation of their best times.

Jacob

If the situation is as bad as it seems, why haven't they done anything yet? Offer players to clubs or something like that. I know it's desperate but how else are they going to get the salary levels down in the short term?

Oly Francis

Supports
PSG
If the situation is as bad as it seems, why haven't they done anything yet? Offer players to clubs or something like that. I know it's desperate but how else are they going to get the salary levels down in the short term?
The thing is, none of the players with big salaries want to leave because no club wants to take them without a big pay cut. That's what happened with Griezmann for exemple. Their players are either too important for the futur (Fati, De Jong, Pedri) or overpayed to the point where they won't leave.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
Is no one going to put in a cheeky and very public bid for Pedri?

Bwuk

We should be after De Jong.

Hes a high earner with a high transfer fee. He’s the sort of player they’ll have to offload.

Acheron

Supports
Real Madrid
I know it's desperate by how else are they going to get the salary levels down in the short term?
They already got rid of Messi, which wasn't ideal but it should help a bit then it's going to be really hard to sell some of their underperforming and overpaid players because of the massive wages they're in. They need the whole squad to take paycuts for at least this season and in the past they would exchange players to cook the books but without Messi I'm expecting someone like Griezmann uping his game; he doesn't have the excuse anymore of being in Messi's shadow or being played out of position so they likes of him Coutinho, dembele, etc, need to start playing like the expensive signings they were. That would make easier for the club to get good offers for them.

Jacob

They already got rid of Messi, which wasn't ideal but it should help a bit then it's going to be really hard to sell some of their underperforming and overpaid players because of the massive wages they're in. They need the whole squad to take paycuts for at least this season and in the past they would exchange players to cook the books but without Messi I'm expecting someone like Griezmann uping his game; he doesn't have the excuse anymore of being in Messi's shadow or being played out of position so they likes of him Coutinho, dembele, etc, need to start playing like the expensive signings they were. That would make easier for the club to get good offers for them.
I thought there had to be corrections and compliance prior to this season. It doesn't seem like their infringement is urgent to correct then. What is the alternative for the high earners? Its either move to a healthy club with lower wages or stay with Barca and accept a temporary (?) pay cut.

Acrobat7

Supports
Bayern Munich
Arrogance and the hope the league doesn’t want to lose Messi?
Signing players that you can’t register despite not having Messi on the wage bill is just so strange.

Oly Francis

Supports
PSG
It helps with FFP but it doesn't really change your payroll though.

Actually from what i've read, the Arthur/Pjanic swap was a terrible move because it seems that Pjanic' salary is around 8M per year when Arthur's was only 5M (dont ask me what he did to deserve 5M but i'm a PSG fan so I can't say anything about high salaries) or so. So bacially they tried to avoid FFP by shooting themselves in the foot increasing their payroll.

VanDeBank

Ma’am
I don't understand why Griezmann and Depay are playing together in pre season. Barca can't comply with the FA's FFP if they don't pay some top earners (inc. Griezmann) to leave or Memphis won't be registered. They'll be forced to sell important players (Fati, De Jong, Pedri). Maybe the Firpo sale gave Barca false hope they can sell other duds? Fools.

De Jong is SO exactly what we need.
Him next to Fred or Scott :drool:

I'd sell Marital, Lingardinho and the pace merchant to make it happen.

De Portago

Supports
Red Star
I don't understand why Griezmann and Depay are playing together in pre season. Barca can't comply with the FA's FFP if they don't pay some top earners (inc. Griezmann) to leave or Memphis won't be registered. They'll be forced to sell important players (Fati, De Jong, Pedri). Maybe the Firpo sale gave Barca false hope they can sell other duds? Fools.
Why would they be forced to sell players? You think anyone with a preserved cognitive function would sell Pedri or De Jong in order to register Depay and Aguero? If push comes to shove those free agents simply won't be registered.