Barcelona vs Manchester United | Build-up Thread

RC89

Wimps. Were going to smoke Barca at the Nou camp. Rashford to destroy Kounde and belt one in. Martial to wriggle his way into adding a second.

IRN-BRUno

Someone said Sabitzer has to serve ban in next European game due to yellows accrued for Bayern,can anyone on here confirm if this is indeed correct.
Suspension comes after 3 yellow cards in UEFA competitions. He picked up his 3rd in Bayern's last group game so yes, he's suspended for the 1st leg.

croadyman

Suspension comes after 3 yellow cards in UEFA competitions. He picked up his 3rd in Bayern's last group game so yes, he's suspended for the 1st leg.
Jeez that is seriously bad luck in a game where he could have proved so crucial

Bondi77

We should be playing our second side in this game with the Cup final so close.

Dannn411

Terrible scheduling for this tie means its not as important as it should have been. Cup final and Top 4 much more important.

cyberman

I have little interest in this. Hard to make the argument winning cups is all that matters when it literally impacts a final being played 3 days later

Seij

Gonna miss Licha and Sabitzer in first leg
That is very worrisome. Martinez has been extremely important to our defense (I would argue 2nd most important player after Case) and our midfield of Bruno/Casemiro/Fred will have zero backup on the bench except for a 17-year-old youth academy player who has played 80 minutes against Charlton and Reading so far. McTominay still doesn't have a return date and would not be a great option against Barcelona anyway.

Barcelona is currently topping La Liga with 16 wins in 19 games. They will be the heavy favorites.

croadyman

That is very worrisome. Martinez has been extremely important to our defense (I would argue 2nd most important player after Case) and our midfield of Bruno/Casemiro/Fred will have zero backup on the bench except for a 17-year-old youth academy player who has played 80 minutes against Charlton and Reading so far. McTominay still doesn't have a return date and would not be a great option against Barcelona anyway.

Barcelona is currently topping La Liga with 16 wins in 19 games. They will be the heavy favorites.
What's annoying is that I bet Bayern had already qualified for knockouts and he picked it up in a total nothing game

OverratedOpinion

I'm looking forward to it but purely because I enjoy big games and couldn't care less if we win the Europa League or not. I hope we rest key players and I have a feeling about Garnacho making an impact on this tie.

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96
What's annoying is that I bet Bayern had already qualified for knockouts and he picked it up in a total nothing game
You are right, it was the last group match where he picked up the third yellow, Bayern were qualified after the first four matches.

GregM40

Probably time for Shaw at LCB again for this one with Malacia at LB. Casemiro well rested for this tie and will be raring to go.

cyberman

Watching them now go two up and it really strikes me how different the two leagues are. The midfield pressure is less and the speed on the flanks is noticeably slower.
It would be really fascinating to see how the different styles will mesh against each other if both sides take the tie seriously.
The pressure on the ball that stops the balls over the top is non existent. All Barca forwards have to do it time the runs and they’re in

BluesJr

Owns the moral low ground
I would love to beat them. Sends out more signals that we are in fact the shit. We are coming.

cyberman

3rd goal now. No pressure on De Jong at all and they score the same goal for a third time

The Corinthian

I will not take Mad Winger's name in vain
It’s a tie that’s coming at an awkward time for us considering the PL games are coming thick and fast and we have a cup final end of the month. Makes me think EtH missed a trick not rotating further in the Carabao semi and FA Cup.

Raiden Shogun

Supports
FC Barca
I really hope United come to play and not defend. We struggle vs defensive teams massively this season but I fancy us if teams try to play.

Niemans

Supports
Barcelona, Celta de Vigo
Busquets will be off for about 2 weeks.

wangyu

This is my game of the season. Beating barca will do a world of good for our players. They don’t come any bigger than Real or Barca. They will always be the teams to beat.

I’m not very confident though, I fear a good spanking.

MUFC OK

Nah we're fine
Definitely not time for that. Should want to beat Barca anyway. This could be a CL 1/4 final next season, lets lay a marker down. If we are fit and raring to go not sure they will handle us.

MUFC OK

This is my game of the season. Beating barca will do a world of good for our players. They don’t come any bigger than Real or Barca. They will always be the teams to beat.

I’m not very confident though, I fear a good spanking.
I don't see it. Would be surprised if they out do us in terms of intensity and think we can beat them, even away. Rashford will be the player of the tie imo.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Definitely not time for that. Should want to beat Barca anyway. This could be a CL 1/4 final next season, lets lay a marker down. If we are fit and raring to go not sure they will handle us.
It'll be a very tough game, and we're definitely underdogs here. They have a very good side, great midfield and are playing at a very high level. fecked up in the CL group stages but are probably one of the top 5 teams in the world.

Wouldn't be too upset if we go out here, I just want to see a good, competitive game as it is a good tester to see how we compare against European elite (who dropped out of the CL... but are definitely one of the elite sides none the less). Pretty confident we'll get that, as we are a very tough team to play against even if we have some weaknesses. But really need Martial and Antony fit for it. We'll see.

MUFC OK

It'll be a very tough game, and we're definitely underdogs here. They have a very good side, great midfield and are playing at a very high level. fecked up in the CL group stages but are probably one of the top 5 teams in the world.

Wouldn't be too upset if we go out here, I just want to see a good, competitive game as it is a good tester to see how we compare against European elite (who dropped out of the CL... but are definitely one of the elite sides none the less). Pretty confident we'll get that, as we are a very tough team to play against even if we have some weaknesses. But really need Martial and Antony fit for it. We'll see.
It's hard to judge. There is such a difference between La Liga and PL but suspect they will use the ball very well. We are still a little too sloppy in possession but are improving and play some good combinations. We have no reason to fear them imo. They have the nucleus of a great side but are still relatively inexperienced as a collective. Just hope we take the game to them and think we have a 50-50 chance. That said, we were made to look very poor by Atletico (A) last year, so lets see how far we've come under ETH.

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96
Wouldn't be too upset if we go out here, I just want to see a good, competitive game as it is a good tester to see how we compare against European elite (who dropped out of the CL... but are definitely one of the elite sides none the less).
I really wouldn't call them elite. Dropping out of the CL two seasons in a row and on top not only fetting beaten but embarassed in the EL by Frankfurt isn't proof of being an elite club, but definitely is at least one tier below that.

fergiewherearethou

Supports
Erik ten Hag
I really wouldn't call them elite. Dropping out of the CL two seasons in a row and on top not only fetting beaten but embarassed in the EL by Frankfurt isn't proof of being an elite club, but definitely is at least one tier below that.
They are not elite in terms of trophies and results for a couple of years because of all their problems but their upwards trajectory is clear as daylight. The La Liga standings show that. They are better than Madrid right now and by quite a margin even and R. Madrid is an elite club right?

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96
They are not elite in terms of trophies and results for a couple of years because of all their problems but their upwards trajectory is clear as daylight. The La Liga standings show that. They are better than Madrid right now and by quite a margin even and R. Madrid is an elite club right?
Well, yes and no. To me it feels like both are currently in a transition and are not at their usual elite level. Barca being the better flat track bully at the moment for me doesn't indicate much for big games like against United. I wouldn't fear them.

fergiewherearethou

Supports
Erik ten Hag
Well, yes and no. To me it feels like both are currently in a transition and are not at their usual elite level. Barca being the better flat track bully at the moment for me doesn't indicate much for big games like against United. I wouldn't fear them.
Their usual elite level was so high in the past 10-15 years that yes, they are not at the same level but whereas Madrid looks shot, with a lot of changes to come soon, including manager and senior players, Barcelona look settled 1-2 steps of becoming very good again - Spanish champions and CL candidates.
It's not that I fear them because nothing dramatic can happen even if we lose, we get the positives of having a more relaxed schedule for the remainder of the season.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
This season they are playing at an elite level. Getting knocked out in the group's was a bit of a fluke tbh. Funny, but a fluke. They were ridiculously unlucky vs Bayern for example and then it came to the games vs inter where they had an off day. Plus, it's been the progression this season with them. They are outperforming Real Madrid by a margin and outplayed them recently. Deservedly top of the league. Have a very good team TBF to them.