Baroness Margaret Thatcher has Passed Away

fishfingers15

Contributes to username and tagline changes
Pardon the bump, but I didn't know that Margaret Thatcher was a divisive figure in Argentina too. I'm from India, so I only know what I read about her in the history books, which to be fair were mostly good (Iron lady yada yada) but I thought she was vilified in Argentina.

Apparently, the Falkland war failure made sure the bloody regime in Argentina collapsed and it liberated a lot of working class people. Who knew?

RIP Margaret Thatcher.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
The mail want more people arrested and sent to prisions, so that they can complain about our prisons being over-crowded.

KanieKaned

They are protesting against everything she stood for.

The media and the government have been bleating on about what a fantastic person she was, when in fact that just wasnt the case.

Nick 0208 Ldn

News 24
They are protesting against everything she stood for.
That's a bit daft isn't it, so she wasn't closer to the mark on anything in your view?

There was no cause and effect aspect to the political dynamic the country found itself with?

hp88

I don't really get protesting it. What are they protesting? The fact that she's dead?
One of the protesters got interviewed on the news last night, reporter asked "Why are you going to turn your back to the coffin?" her response went along the lines of "The world thinks Maggie was great ect.. we just want to show the world what we really think of her"

Nick 0208 Ldn

News 24
They could be protesting against the fact that perhaps the most hated figure in British political history
You feel that strongly, the whole of British political history and you believe that she could be the worst of them all? Even by the standards of the dislike you hear of that is noteworthy.

scream

It's quite strange to me that a lot of the younger people where I work don't understand how I can possibly dislike her and everything she stood for.
They all think she was great, especially one of the lads who was brought up with a silver spoon in his mouth, he's been completely brainwashed.

Marching

Somehow still supports Leeds
It's quite strange to me that a lot of the younger people where I work don't understand how I can possibly dislike her and everything she stood for.
They all think she was great, especially one of the lads who was brought up with a silver spoon in his mouth, he's been completely brainwashed.
:smirk:

paceme

Golly Gilmore
“What’s the matter, lager boy, scared you might ta
But you definitely haven't?

Maybe.

Just maybe. You both have.

Badunk

Shares his caf joinday with Dante
His name isn't Alastair, by any chance?

Nick 0208 Ldn

News 24
Has any other British political figure's death been celebrated so much? None that I can remember...
How many people are actually celebrating in this nation of 63 million people do you think? The majority are simply trying to get on with life and are either wistfully curious, confused or detached from the reactions at both ends of the spectrum.

Are yo only referring to the TV era by the way?

It really is...

Nick 0208 Ldn

News 24
You don't acknowledge any achievements or positive contribution on her part, not a one? Would you just have pushed on with the status quo then?

JohnLocke

She was a bit of cnut to some people but she really did some good stuff. I can't remember a lot of it off the top of my head but she was instrumental in moving Britain away from the welfare state that was created post WW2 (thats World War not WereWolf ;)). She was also on the team of people that invented Mr Whippy ice cream.

Edit:

I also think it's in bad taste to have parties celebrating when someone dies, and to take it to the streets / turn their backs on a funeral procession. At the end of the day she is someone's mother and someone's grandmother and I think it's disrespectful to do things like that.

For example, I think Martin McGuinness is a cnut - but I won't be holding a party when he dies or fecking about when it's his funeral procession.

Nick 0208 Ldn

News 24
So you think it has to be a binary choice live in the seventies or support MT?
No I don't, not at all.

But then i'm not the one saying that i was against all that she stood for. Do the grievances of a person in a one part of the UK override equally justifiably positives for someone else elsewhere in the country or overseas?

One can both support and oppose her policy decisions.

scream

You don't acknowledge any achievements or positive contribution on her part, not a one? Would you just have pushed on with the status quo then?
In my opinion the unions did need controlling but not at the cost of our mines,our steelworks and our dockworks.

And no, I haven't been brainwashed, I was there, I lived through it !

TheReligion

Abusive
Can't quite get my head around people wanting to celebrate on the day of the funeral. If they want to protest about the funeral, and it's costs, fair enough, but do it on another day.

If they want to protest about someone who passed away, which I would find baffling if so, then a good way of showing your dislike would be to not bother going surely?

After all, you wouldn't turn up to the bloke who stole your wife's funeral wearing red and turning your back on the procession. You simply would not arse yourself to go and ignore the whole event.

Randall Flagg

Worst of the best
Can't quite get my head around people wanting to celebrate on the day of the funeral. If they want to protest about the funeral, and it's costs, fair enough, but do it on another day.

If they want to protest about someone who passed away, which I would find baffling if so, then a good way of showing your dislike would be to not bother going surely?

After all, you wouldn't turn up to the bloke who stole your wife's funeral wearing red and turning your back on the procession. You simply would not arse yourself to go and ignore the whole event.
These are like the worst ideas I have ever heard for protesters actually making a point or try to being heard.

Marching

In my opinion the unions did need controlling but not at the cost of our mines,our steelworks and our dockworks.

And no, I haven't been brainwashed, I was there, I lived through it !
It's bizarre that people think it was ALL down to Thatcher...there were other external factors that had a bearing on UK policies. The world was changing and coal and steel was being produced cheaper elsewhere that meant the UK was no longer as competitive.

Those other countries also didn't have a fecking idiot like Scargill running the union.

scream

It's bizarre that people think it was ALL down to Thatcher...there were other external factors that had a bearing on UK policies. The world was changing and coal and steel was being produced cheaper elsewhere that meant the UK was no longer as competitive.

Those other countries also didn't have a fecking idiot like Scargill running the union.
True about Scargill he was a twat.

Bet the other countries didn't put the prices up after though!

esmufc07

Brad
Scout

Their tax money is being spent on the funeral, they have every right to protest.

TheReligion

Abusive
Their tax money is being spent on the funeral, they have every right to protest.
Yeah so is mine and everyone elses, and I bet that equates to alot more tax than any of the student militants groups pay (if that is any at all).

Anyway, crack on. Kick off any disgrace the country. I am sure the inflammatory behaviour will escalate into something unsavoury.

Chabon

Pro-Thatcher people really don't get to complain about a lack of recognition of external factors when discussing her legacy.

Marching

Personally I don't think the idea of turning their back is a bad one....gets the point across and does so peacefully. As long as it stays that way I don't see a problem.

TheReligion

Abusive
Personally I don't think the idea of turning their back is a bad one....gets the point across and does so peacefully. As long as it stays that way I don't see a problem.
Agreed. If someone wants to take the day off work to go and turn their back on it though more fool them.