Bastian Schweinsteiger | Exit Speculation

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mindhunter

I am really surprised that people are actually sympathizing with him. Also, the analogy with a corporate company doesn't work IMO because in football the recruitment is seen by the manager who has a particular style of play and is himself in a short-term role.

We offered the contract and the money to Shweini due to LVG as he must have convinced the board of the value he is going to add to the squad. Now that he is gone, the new manager doesn't want the player. Also, the manager wants to work with a select group and wants to limit access to this group which is fair play. The only other option for Shweini is to either sit at home (i.e resign) or train elsewhere (with the kids) to pick up his weekly wages. There is no humiliation whatsoever. It would be humiliation if Jose spoke about him in every press conference explaining how unprofessional Shweini is and is refusing to move on even though he doesn't need him.

Also, I don't believe a bit of this "great professional" tweets and articles that are coming out. In today's day and age this is all PR. I am sure the narrative would change once he moves to another club or decided to write a book after retirement. His stint there is surely going to get special mention.

K2K

"Can Manchester United score? They always score"
I get the point - he is not part of Mourinho's plans and I have no issues with that.

But this is public humiliation of a decorated player the club excitedly signed despite knowing about his fitness issues and motivational problems. Anyone who has signed him on football manager knows that he always has 'home sickness' issues so it can't be a secret within the football industry!

Anyways it's simply differnt opinions. Woodward in more ruthless in this regard and there is a trend here (Valdes etc). I just think it could be handled much better.
It has already been mentioned on here multiple times that he is not the only former first team player to be banished to the reserves and moved locker.

It's simply that he is the highest profile. All players that are not part of the coaches first team plans have been treated as such,it's hardly personal at all. To infer that it has been done simply to publically humiliate him is just wrong. He is simply not part of our plans

Kant-ona

When I saw our first starting eleven (without Carrick and Schneiderlin) I did understand much better that Mourinho plans without Schweinsteiger. If he finds solutions like that + there is still the possibility to use Blind nearly everywhere, we don't really need the German.

I guess he won't get a Man Utd farewell game, right? ;)

On a serious note, I still wonder why there are hardly any rumours about him and other clubs. Transfer window is full stupid rumours, but I don't read many about Schweinsteiger.

Red Ryan

Starter of Rubbish Threads
I am reading Das Reboot at the minute, the story of how German football rebuilt itself after France 98 to go on to win the World Cup in 2014 and there's plenty of comments about Schweinsteiger in it and how there was a school of thought he was finished before the 2014 World Cup and that he slowed the whole team down and Kheidera was a much better option for them in the middle of the pitch as he was more mobile. Interesting that we would buy him a year after this as a statement signing.

Kostur

海尔的老板
When I saw our first starting eleven (without Carrick and Schneiderlin) I did understand much better that Mourinho plans without Schweinsteiger. If he finds solutions like that + there is still the possibility to use Blind nearly everywhere, we don't really need the German.

I guess he won't get a Man Utd farewell game, right? ;)

On a serious note, I still wonder why there are hardly any rumours about him and other clubs. Transfer window is full stupid rumours, but I don't read many about Schweinsteiger.
Huge wages, very little use, quite obvious fitness concerns. Nobody wants the crock.

NoLogo

I really like BFS but I was skeptical that this deal would work out for us from the start. First of I the fact that Bayern were giving him up so easily should have been a big hint that they thought there wasn't much to come from him anymore. Secondly his injury record over the last couple of years paired with him being past 30 should also make you a bit skeptical.

I hoped it would work out though and for the price we got him this really wasn't much of a gamble imo. It didn't work out though, no big deal. I just wish we had handled the situation of him having to leave in a more private and classy manner.

ZAGREB RED

Some chat around the internet about him going to Celtic.....can't see that ever happening though.

Bwuk

I am reading Das Reboot at the minute, the story of how German football rebuilt itself after France 98 to go on to win the World Cup in 2014 and there's plenty of comments about Schweinsteiger in it and how there was a school of thought he was finished before the 2014 World Cup and that he slowed the whole team down and Kheidera was a much better option for them in the middle of the pitch as he was more mobile. Interesting that we would buy him a year after this as a statement signing.
Schweinsteiger was unbelievable in that tournament, especially in the final.

Kant-ona

Some chat around the internet about him going to Celtic.....can't see that ever happening though.
My feeling: no way. His destination are Italy or USA. Nowhere else. And then back to Bayern as youth coach or something like that.

Red Ryan

I agree completely, but I think it was in the run-up to the world cup there was debate over his merits ahead of Kheidera but Low found a way to play them both. Obviously there wasn't anybody as good as Kheidera in our squad last year to compliment him and his limitations/ wear and tear were exposed.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
I agree completely, but I think it was in the run-up to the world cup there was debate over his merits ahead of Kheidera but Low found a way to play them both. Obviously there wasn't anybody as good as Kheidera in our squad last year to compliment him and his limitations/ wear and tear were exposed.
I think he is way past his best but could have offered us a lot last season if we played him correctly. Seemed in a few games he was being asked to play a high press (especially vs Arsenal away) which was just plain stupid from LVG. Anyway we have plenty of midfielders so we don't need him.

GazTheLegend

Let's be honest - he looks in worse shape than Rooney. Schweinsteiger is finished unless he sorts himself out.

sunama

Baghdad Bob
Sitting on a fat contract would be a terrible end to a great career.... i dont see Schweinsteiger going for that....think he will want to play
This is true.
This guy is a legend (in Germany) and it would be strange if Bastian settles to play with the U23s, for the next few years, just so he can keep picking up a pay-cheque. (Anderson did this, but he was never a legend).
And when you think that he is still only 32. A few months older than Ronaldo?

Libano

So what if the transfer window closes and he's still here? Would you not utilize him just to make a statement? When in shape he'd easily make it into the first team, especially since he's been pretty much injury-free for a longer stretch and looked rather decent during Euro 2016. Someone who's good enough for the World Champion is good enough for United, certainly as a squad player.

ThanksBoss26

I really don't think he cares about money anymore. He will go to a club with some pedigree, Celtic might be appealing.
They are a rather legendary club over here.
Interesting. Might depend on if they can secure a windwall by getting through their Champions League qualifier.

arthurka

Who knows whats going on there but I really can´t see Basti staying and doing nothing.. Doesn´t strike me as such a guy.

Red Ryan

By all accounts he is an unpopular figure in the dressing room. The leaks at end of season said players were annoyed by his failure to turn up at games he was injured for.

Fully Fledged

So what if the transfer window closes and he's still here? Would you not utilize him just to make a statement? When in shape he'd easily make it into the first team, especially since he's been pretty much injury-free for a longer stretch and looked rather decent during Euro 2016. Someone who's good enough for the World Champion is good enough for United, certainly as a squad player.
No. If we don't use him it's because he's not in the managers plans not to make a statement.

Libano

No. If we don't use him it's because he's not in the managers plans not to make a statement.
That's like saying he's not good enough to be of use to Mourinho. If that's his honest assessment, fair game, he should not be part of the squad. They know best what his physical condition is like. A fit BFS, however, would walk into this team, even the version we saw at Euro 2016. Apart from Pogba, there isn't a single A-level defensive midfielder in the team.

I don't believe those locker room rumours. Totally out of character for Schweinsteiger.

Kant-ona

I don't believe those locker room rumours. Totally out of character for Schweinsteiger.
I am not sure if I heard the same rumours as you did.

I can imagine that some players were not delighted if (the injuried) Schweinsteiger travelled back to Germany and/or spent time with his famous girlfriend around the world instead of staying in Manchester. Doesn't look like true team spirit. The thing is:

(a) I don't know if he really did and if so, did he travelled to Munich because of Müller-Wohlfahrt or did he join a lot of WTA parties or stuff like that? I just do not care about VIP stuff so I have no idea.

(b) Personally I don't get the idea why injuried player should stay in the city. When Boateng was injuried, the German press was indignant about pictures on his instagram account, showing him in Africa with his girlfiend. If a player is unjuried and the doctor suggest to wait with training and if the coach is okay with it, why should he stay in Munich/Manchester/Dubai? I admit: It's easier for a club legend to do that than for a new player like Schweinsteiger.

Jazz

Just in case anyone missed it. I don't like Mount.
By all accounts he is an unpopular figure in the dressing room. The leaks at end of season said players were annoyed by his failure to turn up at games he was injured for.
Not sure it's with everyone. Sounds like he's unpopular with some of the 'influential' figures in the dressing room. However, an over the top article today in the Daily Fail mentioned something interesting in that Jesse Lingard still goes to Bastian for advice....

K2K

"Can Manchester United score? They always score"
That's like saying he's not good enough to be of use to Mourinho. If that's his honest assessment, fair game, he should not be part of the squad. They know best what his physical condition is like. A fit BFS, however, would walk into this team, even the version we saw at Euro 2016. Apart from Pogba, there isn't a single A-level defensive midfielder in the team.

He probably isn't good enough for what Mourinho wants in a midfielder,not necessarily that he is a poor midfielder.

I very much doubt it's because we are trying to make any statement. in fact I think of we could get rid of him without the media attention,that would be best for us .

Hammerfell

Not sure it's with everyone. Sounds like he's unpopular with some of the 'influential' figures in the dressing room. However, an over the top article today in the Daily Fail mentioned something interesting in that Jesse Lingard still goes to Bastian for advice....
Probably wondering how he manages to sneak doughnuts into the dressing room.

Ixion

I don't think he should be frozen out, I do think that is disrespectful. Transfer list him and tell him he won't be picked but don't treat him like he is being punished for something. All the players should have been given a chance by Mourinho to prove themselves.

MounchesterUtd

Loan him to Juventus. I hear they lost a midfielder recently.
I can see Marotta doing this and beating his chest about how he 'hustled United out of 160m for a player they sold for free' and he 'poached' Schweini to top it all off :lol:

I daresay he was the best player of that tournament. Arguably the best midfield performance by any German in an international comp since Matthaus himself?

Status
Not open for further replies.