Bastian Schweinsteiger | Exit Speculation

Status
Not open for further replies.

buckooo1978

After so much talk from Bayern about how we has mistreated him I was expecting them to place a bid. Or does Bayern expect us to treat their washed up legends well?
Point scoring against United wasnt it..... a major transfer rival

Chances are he will leave on a free if we want a team to take on his wages

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
Point scoring against United wasnt it..... a major transfer rival

Chances are he will leave on a free if we want a team to take on his wages

He won't leave unless we pay him the rest of his contract and we won't be doing that. I don't know why player seem to think that Manchester United is some kind of elderly house who take care of old/sick players even though they are finished.

buckooo1978

He won't leave unless we pay him the rest of his contract and we won't be doing that. I don't know why player seem to think that Manchester United is some kind of elderly house who take care of old/sick players even though they are finished.
Maybe come to an agreement

Sitting on a fat contract would be a terrible end to a great career.... i dont see Schweinsteiger going for that....think he will want to play

Murray3007

not sure what the problem is, he will help the kids out if hes such a professional which will only be a good thing for them, can only think of 1 game last season where he performed, rest of the time he was pretty poor so cant really see why we should be that bothered.

devilish

Sitting on a fat contract would be a terrible end to a great career.... i dont see Schweinsteiger going for that....think he will want to play
If think that at this point he doesn't care how his career will end.

Hammerfell

not sure what the problem is, he will help the kids out if hes such a professional which will only be a good thing for them, can only think of 1 game last season where he performed, rest of the time he was pretty poor so cant really see why we should be that bothered.
Because sanctimonious Bayern fans think we should let him coast because he's their legend. Not a great incentive, really.

redpatron

Not really, at the end of the day he's won every major trophy. If he wants to become our VIP ambassador and gets paid to just hang out and use top notch facilities, than play in some second tier league than more power to him. I would be doing the same thing like Big Head from Silicon Valley. Its just a real job to him at this point like any of us 9-5ers.

Sparky10Legend

I think its at the sit down with BFS and discuss the options stage, forcing him out when WE signed him for 3 years when WE (in theory) got the last big year of his career (we didnt but he was at an age that it was more than possible) seems a tad unclassy in my view.

Unless its a game of brinkmanship where he is threatening to stay regardless of the role he has.

We pay him 6m to bugger off?

Blackwidow

Germany gives him playing practice as United does not do it. The friendly in Gladbach against Finnland on August 31st is converted to a Good-Bye friendly for him.

WackyWengerWorld

Supports
Arsenal
Probably because you keep offering them contracts. Schweini/Rooney/Falcao/RVP and now Ibrah.

Chip

Please just get rid of him ASAP. The longer this drags on the worse we are going to look, even though we are not doing anything wrong.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
That's not fair.

The club is obligated to pay out his contract. Legally of course but I also think morally too.

It was the clubs decision to sign him on his contractual terms: if they don't want him any more they should honour the contract.

I don't care if he is stuck in reserves to keep him away from the first team, but to do so as a harassment and mental torture technique to encourage him to resign is unethical and wrong in my opinion.

devilish

That's not fair.

The club is obligated to pay out his contract. Legally of course but I also think morally too.

It was the clubs decision to sign him on his contractual terms: if they don't want him any more they should honour the contract.

I don't care if he is stuck in reserves to keep him away from the first team, but to do so as a harassment and mental torture technique to encourage him to resign is unethical and wrong in my opinion.
Id like to be harassed in a way that I train with the kids for some 200k a week. This guy is finished. He hasnt been fit for the past 4 years. Bayern can of course lead by example by bidding for him and get him back. I doubt they will be interested though and I doubt he will accept to be paid less to leave OT. Till then we're stuck us with him and him with us

Last edited:

hobbers

but to do so as a harassment and mental torture technique to encourage him to resign is unethical and wrong in my opinion.
:lol: If such a technique exists sign me up.

As far as I'm concerned if a player is under contract the club is not even obligated to let them train with the reserves. If it were me and the player was particularly unruly I'd probably make them train alone.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
Id like to be harassed in a way that I train with the kids for some 200k a week. This guy is finished. He hasnt been fit for the past 4 years. Bayern can of course lead by example by bidding for him and get him back. I doubt they will be interested though and I doubt he will accept to be paid less to leave OT. Till then we're stuck us with him and him with us
Ive been in a similar situation once. A few years back, I joined a new Advertising agency on a new big fat contract Just after I joined, my boss (who was the CEO) and I began to have huge conflict. I was great at the job and worked well with everyone but him as our personalities clashed. Within a few months, he decided he wanted me out. His problem was that I was excellent at my job and also had a 6 month notice period in my contract. His cheapest and most face saving way was to humiliate me into resigning.

He took away my authority and power, publicly ridiculed me in board meetings and ignored me in every other situation. As an already a seasoned professional, I knew the score and refused to be intimated I also had my lawyer write him a letter, cc-ing the global HQ. He quickly paid up my contract and I left.

But despite getting 6 months of pay and gardening leave ... I became very depressed and lost self confidence as I was stuck at home with nothing to do. It took me 12 months to find a new suitable position (my post count on redcafe rapidly increased!). That required some expensive counselling to solve the emotional stress. Likewise, it left a gaping hole in my CV that is still awkward to explain.

I was headhunted into this firm: they lured me away from my existing employer and promised me riches and benefits to join them. The company did not belong to the CEO, he was an employee just like me, and he should have worked out any personality issues during interview stages. It was not my fault that they decided to want me and hire me!

You already know all of this. The fact that BFS is a footballer, or that he earns £200k per week has nothing to do with morality and legality. It was Manchester United's responsibility to assess BFS's fitness issues before he joined. And we should also had done some medium term recruitment planning. I know that many transfers don't work out, but that can never be the fault of the employee. The club need to work out fitness issues and then find ways to motivate its employee's. If the employee does not deliver, then sanction them with contracted penalties or HR assessment tools.

I have no issue in Mourinho deciding that BFS is not useful for his Manchester United. But if you want him to leave the club. Do it legally. Do it morally. Do it nicely. We don't seem to be doing that and Im very disappointed by that.

Last edited:

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
:lol: If such a technique exists sign me up.

As far as I'm concerned if a player is under contract the club is not even obligated to let them train with the reserves. If it were me and the player was particularly unruly I'd probably make them train alone.
Making a globally distinguished footballer train with apprentices is a crudely designed tool to publicly humiliate him into submission.

hubbuh

Ive been in a similar situation once. A few years back, I joined a new Advertising agency on a new big fat contract Just after I joined, my boss (who was the CEO) and I began to have huge conflict. I was great at the job but our personalities clashed. Within a few months, he decided he wanted me out. His problem was that I was excellent at my job and also had a 6 month notice period in my contract. His cheapest and most face saving way was to humiliate me into resigning.

He took away my authority and power, publicly ridiculed me in board meetings and ignored me in every other situation. As an already a seasoned professional, I knew the score and refused to be intimated I also had my lawyer write him a letter, cc-ing the global HQ. He quickly paid up my contract and I left.

But despite getting 6 months of pay and gardening leave I hated the situation and it left behind some emotional damage. ... I became very depressed and lost self confidence as I was stuck at home with nothing to do as it took me 12 months to find a new suitable position (my post count on redcafe rapidly increased!). That required some expensive counselling to solve. Likewise, it left a gaping hole in my CV that is still awkward to explain. I was headhunted into this firm: they lured me away from my existing employer and promised me riches and benefits to join them. The company did not belong to the CEO, he was an employee just like me, and he should have worked out any personality issues during interview stages. It was not my fault that they decided to want me and hire me!

You already know all of this. The fact that BFS is a footballer, or that he earns £200k per week has nothing to do with morality and legality. It was Manchester United's responsibility to assess BFS's fitness issues before he joined. And we should also had done some medium term recruitment planning. I know that many transfers don't work out, but that can never be the fault of the employee. The club need to work out fitness issues and then find ways to motivate its employee's. If the employee does not deliver, then sanction them with contracted penalties or HR assessment tools.

I have no issue in Mourinho deciding that BFS is not useful for his Manchester United. But if you want him to leave the club. Do it legally. Do it morally. Do it nicely. We don't seem to be doing that and Im very disappointed by that. I would not want to be tarred like that again.
I can see what you're inferring, and it's nice you are able to sympathise given your own experience. The difference between you and Schweinsteiger though is that it sounds like by all accounts you were trying your upmost to integrate and play your part for the team. It has been well documented that Schweinsteiger on the other hand has regularly travelled back to Germany whenever it suits him and has often been seen spending weekends watching his wife play tennis. It's equally sad and tedious going into detail about the movements of famous people but it's quite obvious his heart wasn't really in it. Mourinho undoubtedly sees that and sees no benefit in keeping him around. Making him train with the youth team does seem rather petty but it sends a clear message that any freeloaders will no longer be tolerated and surely sends a message and a much needed kick up the arse to those who had gotten a bit too comfortable with the way things had been.

JustAFan

The Adebayo Akinfenwa of football photoshoppers
An evil little city in the NE United States
Ive been in a similar situation once. A few years back, I joined a new Advertising agency on a new big fat contract Just after I joined, my boss (who was the CEO) and I began to have huge conflict. I was great at the job and worked well with everyone but him as our personalities clashed. Within a few months, he decided he wanted me out. His problem was that I was excellent at my job and also had a 6 month notice period in my contract. His cheapest and most face saving way was to humiliate me into resigning.

But despite getting 6 months of pay and gardening leave ... I became very depressed and lost self confidence as I was stuck at home with nothing to do. It took me 12 months to find a new suitable position (my post count on redcafe rapidly increased!). That required some expensive counselling to solve the emotional stress. Likewise, it left a gaping hole in my CV that is still awkward to explain.

I was headhunted into this firm: they lured me away from my existing employer and promised me riches and benefits to join them. The company did not belong to the CEO, he was an employee just like me, and he should have worked out any personality issues during interview stages. It was not my fault that they decided to want me and hire me!

I have no issue in Mourinho deciding that BFS is not useful for his Manchester United. But if you want him to leave the club. Do it legally. Do it morally. Do it nicely. We don't seem to be doing that and Im very disappointed by that.
What laws are we breaking? Players seek to get transfers and teams look to sell players they no longer want all the time. Morals? Really? Involving HR, too funny

Last edited:

hobbers

Making a globally distinguished footballer train with apprentices is a crudely designed tool to publicly humiliate him into submission.
But where's the humiliation, really? The club doesn't want to diminish him, they want another club to be come along and offer him a contract, and they want him to accept it. I don't care if it's Schweinsteiger or fecking Pele, training with reserves is part and parcel of football. It's not comparable to being an individual in a company and getting publicly slated and undermined by your boss. Like all out of favour footballers, Schweiny was judged to not fit in with our strategy on the pitch, for whatever reason. That sort of ruling doesn't exist in most company roles, you either do your job competently or you don't.

JustAFan

None right now. Im responding to the post where @devilish states that BFS is in the wrong.

I also dispute the ethics of our stance right now.
So there really is no reason to mention legality at all except to be overly dramatic.

Players cast aside clubs when they want to move on, teams replace players when they no longer fit the teams need. Nothing unethical about it.

Sports, the on field decisions of who plays and who doesn't, are not the same as a general business enviroment and trying to compare the two is a bit silly.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
So there really is no reason to mention legality at all except to be overly dramatic.

Players cast aside clubs when they want to move on, teams replace players when they no longer fit the teams need. Nothing unethical about it.

Sports, the on field decisions of who plays and who doesn't, are not the same as a general business enviroment and trying to compare the two is a bit silly.
as I said, I was responding to a post which recommended actions with dubious legality. So the point is valid.

Regarding your last point, its your valid opinion but not one I share. I believe society should have some universal moral absolutes. Employee rights is one of those. And high profile cases like this one are critical because they tend to set precedent.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
But where's the humiliation, really? The club doesn't want to diminish him, they want another club to be come along and offer him a contract, and they want him to accept it. I don't care if it's Schweinsteiger or fecking Pele, training with reserves is part and parcel of football. It's not comparable to being an individual in a company and getting publicly slated and undermined by your boss. Like all out of favour footballers, Schweiny was judged to not fit in with our strategy on the pitch, for whatever reason. That sort of ruling doesn't exist in most company roles, you either do your job competently or you don't.
I get the point - he is not part of Mourinho's plans and I have no issues with that.

But this is public humiliation of a decorated player the club excitedly signed despite knowing about his fitness issues and motivational problems. Anyone who has signed him on football manager knows that he always has 'home sickness' issues so it can't be a secret within the football industry!

Anyways it's simply differnt opinions. Woodward in more ruthless in this regard and there is a trend here (Valdes etc). I just think it could be handled much better.

JustAFan

as I said, I was responding to a post which recommended actions with dubious legality. So the point is valid.

Regarding your last point, its your valid opinion but not one I share. I believe society should have some universal moral absolutes. Employee rights is one of those. And high profile cases like this one are critical because they tend to set precedent.
You are being overly dramatic BFS is hardly the first athlete in a team sport to be told by his club he was no longer in the plans so no precedent is being set.

There is nothing immoral in a sports team deciding which players make the grade and which don't. Happens every year, plenty of players under contract never make it, their clubs are not immoral for not making them part of the first team. Every year clubs cut young players loose because they are not earning a spot, it's not immoral that they do so.

Nor does anyone have a right to demand to be part of the first team or force a club to play them.

JustAFan

I get the point - he is not part of Mourinho's plans and I have no issues with that.

But this is public humiliation of a decorated player the club excitedly signed despite knowing about his fitness issues and motivational problems. Anyone who has signed him on football manager knows that he always has 'home sickness' issues so it can't be a secret within the football industry!

Anyways it's simply differnt opinions. Woodward in more ruthless in this regard and there is a trend here (Valdes etc). I just think it could be handled much better.
Of sorry should have realized you were an idiot on a WUM, lol

We need an rvn

You are being overly dramatic BFS is hardly the first athlete in a team sport to be told by his club he was no longer in the plans so no precedent is being set.

There is nothing immoral in a sports team deciding which players make the grade and which don't. Happens every year, plenty of players under contract never make it, their clubs are not immoral for not making them part of the first team. Every year clubs cut young players loose because they are not earning a spot, it's not immoral that they do so.

Nor does anyone have a right to demand to be part of the first team or force a club to play them.
Shrek???

Status
Not open for further replies.