g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

Film Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice

Man of Steel

Smashed it!!
I'm doubting people's commitment to Sparkle Motion
Well I obviously can't claim to be an objective judge on good and bad films, but I genuinely can't see anything Snyder's films have done well, and certainly can't see any possible way for them to be viewed retrospectively as good to those who previously thought they were bad. Poor pacing, irritating characters, lame villains and even meh special effects don't add up to good blockbuster action films however you look at them. And I say that as someone who'd been really looking forward to this. I just really don't think Snyder is very good at what he does.
At least you explain what you don't like, and I can see why in some instances, I just think that people want things to be more like Donners Superman and like the Marvel formula. I guess time will tell as to whether the DC film universe is looked on favourably by some people and critics who pan it now. Not that I care about their opinions anyway haha. I think once we get other directors putting out these DC films, they may be given a bit more of a chance.

Snyder is showing Supermans journey, (along with the others obviously) and by the end of Justice League I'm sure he will be more like the Superman most people would recognise. The fact that he is showing him as quite a thoughtful and troubled man at times is actually refreshing in my opinion, the darker or more troubled journey to finally becoming the hero, the beacon of hope that Superman is meant to be will make it seem more worthwhile imo.

Who knows, JL might suck haha.

Man of Steel

Smashed it!!
WW introduction into the battle was the most badass part of the movie. (Though it was ruined in the trailer).

The thing with BvS is the same thing I thought during Man Of Steel, it felt like 2 movies merged together.
Though I enjoyed BvS more than MoS. My biggest problem I guess is how dark and broody Superman is, it really should have been "night vs day". Instead it was like "night vs... even later in the night".
Ha, I see where you are coming from Sylar. A lot of people have this problem with a darker, broody at times and troubled Superman, but ask yourself why he is like that, how has the world and the people acted towards him, how did the battle with Zod and the fear and destruction in Metropolis affect Superman and the people? All of these things lead to Clark having to ask himself all the questions he does. It's more realistic to have the governments and population questioning this alien being etc and if he is safe than just to blindly accept him as the finished and established hero we are all used to.

It is his journey we are getting, but it's a more thoughtful, troubled and realistic journey. I'm hoping (really hoping!) that JL delivers, and we see him become the Superman, or as close to the Superman everybody knows.

At least the DC universe is a bit different to the other comic book movies, and good on them for trying to be a little more serious or deeper with some parts of these films. I think by the time The Batman is released, the DC films will be firmly established and appreciated.

Borden

Snyder tries so hard to make every shot he makes iconic. It looks good, but it's so overdone and excessive that it just comes across as pompous and pretentious.

DC ruined the franchise the second they hired Snyder. Should've thrown bucket loads of money at Nolan instead (though they probably did and he turned them down). Be interesting to see how Afflecks Batman film turns out though, he's made some pretty good films.

Last edited:

Man of Steel

Smashed it!!
Snyder tries so hard to make every shot he makes iconic. It looks good, but it's so overdone and excessive that it just comes across as pompous and pretentious.

DC ruined the franchise the second they hired Snyder. Should've thrown bucket loads of money at Nolan instead.
If you don't like that style then fair enough, but it's a comic book/graphic novel film and universe? it's meant to look different. He's using the source material at times almost exactly from the pages, almost identical shots. Snyder makes lots of his shots like storyboards, like panel's in a comic, that's the world he is working in. It is comic book source material. In parts of his films sometimes you could even remove dialogue as the shots are like a comic and he films and edits it that way sometimes, which is not to everyones taste. A lot of people who don't like his style are not comic book/graphic novel readers or pompous pretentious art lovers ;). Snyder is also an artist, and is really into art of all kinds, so he does like to use visual story telling arguably more than most directors.

He could improve in some areas of course, but I'm glad to see his style that is close to comic book source.

Also how have DC ruined the franchise hiring Snyder? We've yet to see JL, and they are releasing films made by different directors going forward. And Nolan wouldn't like super powered heros flying around, not his style, it's too beneath him...;)

I still say by the time we get to Ben Afflecks The Batman being released, the DC Universe will be firmly established and loved by more than enough people to keep it going happily on it's merry little way. (can't you tell it's xmas)

Maybe I'm just happy that we are finally getting these characters on the big screen at last!

Happy Christmas comic book movie fans! :D

Borden

If you don't like that style then fair enough, but it's a comic book/graphic novel film and universe? it's meant to look different. He's using the source material at times almost exactly from the pages, almost identical shots. Snyder makes lots of his shots like storyboards, like panel's in a comic, that's the world he is working in. It is comic book source material. In parts of his films sometimes you could even remove dialogue as the shots are like a comic and he films and edits it that way sometimes, which is not to everyones taste. A lot of people who don't like his style are not comic book/graphic novel readers or pompous pretentious art lovers ;). Snyder is also an artist, and is really into art of all kinds, so he does like to use visual story telling arguably more than most directors.

He could improve in some areas of course, but I'm glad to see his style that is close to comic book source.

Also how have DC ruined the franchise hiring Snyder? We've yet to see JL, and they are releasing films made by different directors going forward. And Nolan wouldn't like super powered heros flying around, not his style, it's too beneath him...;)

I still say by the time we get to Ben Afflecks The Batman being released, the DC Universe will be firmly established and loved by more than enough people to keep it going happily on it's merry little way. (can't you tell it's xmas)

Maybe I'm just happy that we are finally getting these characters on the big screen at last!

Happy Christmas comic book movie fans! :D
I think Snyder's visual style worked in Watchmen, but that may be because he had a much better script to work with. The problem with Snyder is that he seemingly can't identify and improve weak (parts of) scripts. And his pacing is often completely off (again, Watchmen being the exception). Having a film look good is not enough to save it if its story and dialogue is a mess.

GBBQ

I think Snyder's visual style worked in Watchmen, but that may be because he had a much better script to work with. The problem with Snyder is that he seemingly can't identify and improve weak (parts of) scripts. And his pacing is often completely off (again, Watchmen being the exception). Having a film look good is not enough to save it if its story and dialogue is a mess.
I think Watchmen worked well because it was (at the time) a self contained story and he filmed it almost frame for frame as it was in the book. For anyone who had read Watchmen it was finally being brought to the big screen and bar one key plot point it was completely faithful to the novel.

With Superman and Batman, there have already been genre defining versions brought to the screen and I don't think he has the abilities to one-up whats already been done.

Sylar

Ha, I see where you are coming from Sylar. A lot of people have this problem with a darker, broody at times and troubled Superman, but ask yourself why he is like that, how has the world and the people acted towards him, how did the battle with Zod and the fear and destruction in Metropolis affect Superman and the people? All of these things lead to Clark having to ask himself all the questions he does. It's more realistic to have the governments and population questioning this alien being etc and if he is safe than just to blindly accept him as the finished and established hero we are all used to.

It is his journey we are getting, but it's a more thoughtful, troubled and realistic journey. I'm hoping (really hoping!) that JL delivers, and we see him become the Superman, or as close to the Superman everybody knows.

At least the DC universe is a bit different to the other comic book movies, and good on them for trying to be a little more serious or deeper with some parts of these films. I think by the time The Batman is released, the DC films will be firmly established and appreciated.
I get what youre saying, and im hoping thats its a story to the standard Superman we are used to seeing (given how BvS ended, hopefully its a re-birth for him).
I just think hes been inconsistent since Man Of Steel.

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
My word this movie is terrible. Lex Luthor is an abomination.

Seriously like watching a 3 hour funeral.

Also, we spent about half the fecking movie looking at other people watching the news on the TV or looking at some sort of monitor.

Morbid as feck.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
My word this movie is terrible. Lex Luthor is an abomination.

Seriously like watching a 3 hour funeral.

Also, we spent about half the fecking movie looking at other people watching the news on the TV or looking at some sort of monitor.

Morbid as feck.
I warmed to the movie when seeing the hidden messages, but the movie felt juxtaposed and Snyder ruined the tone with all that grey filter shit. I get it for Gotham but he shouldn't tone down the look of Metropolis. Its not meant to be a dull City.

JoaquinJoaquin

I warmed to the movie when seeing the hidden messages, but the movie felt juxtaposed and Snyder ruined the tone with all that grey filter shit. I get it for Gotham but he shouldn't tone down the look of Metropolis. Its not meant to be a dull City.
Yeah I agree. For me because the image is so dark and dull it kind of stops the replay value.