BBC Impartiality

Lee565

I find that interesting since one of the things they say is 'Never again', but a lot of Jewish people are Conservatives.

Hate Attacks at 1,652 fell this last year by a quarter over the previous year but attacks on Jewish children rose. Surely they cannot be criticising someone who speaks against Hate Speech? Evidently they are.
Are you really surprised when you have two people from indian heritage in suella and sunak who are the main instigators in gas lighting the dehumanisation of foreign migrants for wanting to make something of their life just like their ancestors did and very likely suffered racial abuse themselves but they don't care because they know it won't effect them personally and couldn't care less about anyone else in life

ThehatchetMan

Plz look at Me! Pay attention to Me!
Supports
Crusaders FC
Having listened to a fair bit of LBC over the last 24 hours, the amount of Jewish people making their voices heard regarding Lineker's comments and the hurt they cause the Jewish community is quite stark.
Personally think that's crazy given that if the holocaust happened today, and this proposed bill was passed, they any Jews coming to Britain would be returned home with no chance of asylum. Or if not they could be turned into slaves with no legal protection.

But its not surprising either seeing as Jewish people have been used as a political weapon by the conservatives over the last 5 years. No better way to cause outrage that to get a Jewish millionaire that financially gains from Conservative policy to come out and tell us all how something which opposes their precious party is suddenly anti semetic.

Someone goes and meets Palestine people who are bombed by the Israeli government and attacked every day. Suddenly this person is now anti semetic. Load of wank if you ask me.

DOTA

wants Amber Rudd to call him a naughty boy
Having listened to a fair bit of LBC over the last 24 hours
Never a wise choice.

I personally am hearing the opposite opinion from British Jews but I'm not sure my twitter feed is necessarily giving me the whole range of Jewish thought on the topic either.

oates

No one is a match for his two masters degrees
Scout
Supports
Arsenal
Are you really surprised when you have two people from indian heritage in suella and sunak who are the main instigators in gas lighting the dehumanisation of foreign migrants for wanting to make something of their life just like their ancestors did and very likely suffered racial abuse themselves but they don't care because they know it won't effect them personally and couldn't care less about anyone else in life
I'm not sure that what you are asking is related to me commenting on Jewish People perhaps phoning into LBC to complain about Lineker's words.

oates

No one is a match for his two masters degrees
Scout
Supports
Arsenal
Never a wise choice.

I personally am hearing the opposite opinion from British Jews but I'm not sure my twitter feed is necessarily giving me the whole range of Jewish thought on the topic either.
I listen quite a bit to James O'Brien. Either because I think he talks a lot of sense or perhaps just my sense.

DavelinaJolie

Never a wise choice.

Agreed, I kind of regret going into that rabbit hole as my blood pressure has raised considerably.

I've heard a few comments fromembers of the Jewish community agreeing with Lineker, but largely what I've heard is the opposite. Naturally it's not scientific or representative, I just found it interesting/concerning. Personally I usually dismiss people claiming to be the voice of a community, as some have been.

On another slant, as I mentioned in another thread, I think this whole thing is actually gold for the Tories, as the amount of calls for the license fee to be scrapped also seemed quite strong.

DavelinaJolie

What is the gist of their point?
That referencing 1930s Germany (and some have specifically, incorrectly, said the Holocaust) is damaging because the sheer scale of what happened to the Jewish population is painful to the community and there is no real parallel. That was my general understanding.

Fingeredmouse

That referencing 1930s Germany (and some have specifically, incorrectly, said the Holocaust) is damaging because the sheer scale of what happened to the Jewish population is painful to the community and there is no real parallel. That was my general understanding.
Thank you. I had imagined it'd be this.

Spark

You’re probably right, but it’s only been two months since an actual Holocaust survivor (i.e. someone who fully experienced the things that reference to could be harmful to second, third, fourth generations Jews) said the same thing, to the home sec, only much more explicitly.

Fundamentally, what Lineker said is objectively true. And drawing that parallel is done to emphasise the sheer disgrace the current rhetoric from the government is.

Impartiality matters on the BBC. Lineker is impartial on the BBC. What the government actually hate is that he is far more popular than any of the MPs who try to tweet their dumb slogans and that’s infuriating for them - case in point Lineker rationing Penny Maudant after her embarrassingly shit metaphor about left wing strikers or whatever.

https://news.sky.com/story/holocaus...are-similar-to-those-of-nazi-germany-12786451

Dobba

You’re probably right, but it’s only been two months since an actual Holocaust survivor (i.e. someone who fully experienced the things that reference to could be harmful to second, third, fourth generations Jews) said the same thing, to the home sec, only much more explicitly.

Fundamentally, what Lineker said is objectively true. And drawing that parallel is done to emphasise the sheer disgrace the current rhetoric from the government is.

Impartiality matters on the BBC. Lineker is impartial on the BBC. What the government actually hate is that he is far more popular than any of the MPs who try to tweet their dumb slogans and that’s infuriating for them - case in point Lineker rationing Penny Maudant after her embarrassingly shit metaphor about left wing strikers or whatever.

https://news.sky.com/story/holocaus...are-similar-to-those-of-nazi-germany-12786451
:lol:

Murder on Zidane's Floor

You'd better not kill Giroud
What this has done, like all Tory mental battles, is highlight the massive hypocrisy of their position.

You have Andrea Jenkyns MP saying how it is terrible for a tax payer funded person (although Linekar isn't tax payer funded) to invoke the Nazis, although she compared the EU to Nazis and herself is tax payer funded.

You have people digging up Johnson saying the same thing, comparing the EU to Nazis.

It's hilarious because they're all so thick and stupid and are in the position they are precisely because they're thick and easily led, means they just step on these rakes every time they make an accusation.

Pretty much guaranteed that whatever they charge a critic of, they themselves are guilty of

Tarrou

whenever I hear John Barnes talk about about issues like this I wonder why he never made a good manager, he seems self-aware and smart

was a world class footballer in his day, but of course it's never that easy to predict who'll also be a good manager

Ibi Dreams

The Telegraph are reporting that Lineker is likely to return to MOTD next week

Dan_F

whenever I hear John Barnes talk about about issues like this I wonder why he never made a good manager, he seems self-aware and smart

was a world class footballer in his day, but of course it's never that easy to predict who'll also be a good manager
Really? He nailed that one but I’ve seen him have some absolute mares about things like race previously.

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
Nicky Campbell on 5Live is having a phone in about the BBC, Lineker, impartiality etc right now if anyone is interested. Will be on BBC Sounds later if you miss it. Arguably the Beeb's best presenter/journo.

dumbo

Don't Just Fly…Soar!
Scout
The racist nazi Tory cnuts at the BBC should be made to kiss Linekers feet during the apology, in a scene that recalls Jerry Lawler and Bret Hart's Kiss My foot match.

Salt Bailly

Auburn, not Ginger.
The racist nazi Tory cnuts at the BBC should be made to kiss Linekers feet during the apology, in a scene that recalls Jerry Lawler and Bret Hart's Kiss My foot match.
Then as the kiss is about to take place he flips them the bird and hits them with the stone cold stunner. They'll never see it coming.

FireballXL5

So, basically it's...

And the Tory puppetmasters carry on as before. Same as it ever was.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
The question about him being the right person to talk about stuff is fecking daft. He's a member of British society and he's tweeting on his own personal platform. We are all the right people as members of society to talk about politics oin our own platforms ffs.

Bepi

Supports
Juventus
Interested in seeing: A) how BBC spins their backtracking; B) how the tories will retort against both their BBC accolites at the top and the man (from now on: target man) himself; and C) if (big if…) and how labour uses this “victory of the commoners” for their own political narratives.

Mourinhonista

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
Fairplay to Lineker.
Hopefully after some changes to the law have been made, he makes room in his house and properties and takes a few of them in.
We stand together and help each other out. Furthermore his kids shouldn't go to private school where they don't make contact, let them go to public schools. Can't have those gated communities, can we?! As most likely with guys like him, cheap talk, won't put his money where his mouth is. That's just for the ordinary people who have to comply.

Tarrou

Fairplay to Lineker.
Hopefully after some changes to the law have been made, he makes room in his house and properties and takes a few of them in.
We stand together and help each other out. Furthermore his kids shouldn't go to private school where they don't make contact, let them go to public schools. Can't have those gated communities, can we?! As most likely with guys like him, cheap talk, won't put his money where his mouth is. That's just for the ordinary people who have to comply.
except he did take in some refugees

hodgey123

Fairplay to Lineker.
He already does house some refugees. How many do you house out of interest? How many do any Tory MPs house or, for that matter, another rich individual whose opinion you agree with?