g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

BBC: Pep Guardiola wants to coach in England

KingMinger22

City >>> United. Moaning twat
City are 6 points ahead of us.

After an unprecedented run of failing to win a game, with an idiot of a manager running things we're a grand total of 6 points behind them.

Your desire to paint United as in ruins with City the masters of the universe is pathetic and also complete nonsense.
But anyone can see that their squad is miles ahead of ours. They have been underperforming massively and are short one or two players. We have been playing consistently at a level that reflects the quality of our squad, which needs huge changes.

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
But anyone can see that their squad is miles ahead of ours. They have been underperforming massively and are short one or two players. We have been playing consistently at a level that reflects the quality of our squad, which needs huge changes.
So you can make excuses for them but United are just fecked.

Yep, as someone else commented your tag is very apt.

RedRover

This. What's is the point of enduring LVG's three years of transition only for Giggs to have his own period of transition. It will annoy me to no end if Giggs takes over and we are fed the bullshit of having to endure shit results while Giggs gets to grip with management.
If we appoint Giggs, I hope the board will demand success like they would have from any other manager.
I see no reason why this will happen.

Moyes was sacked because we were outside the top 4 and the job given to Van Gaal - a safe pair of hands, near retirement, and not at all a long term solution. The decision flew in the face of everything the club had said before. It shows that whatever the club say about periods without success, the bottom line is that we have to competing for the financial model to succeed.

RedChip

Because, if it worked out it would be an amazing story... and United seem to love this idea of the whole thing being a "story" ... it's in loads of marketing/merch and stuff, so I imagine if Giggs worked out they could go to town with it.

Plus, if he did work out, there's your manager for the next 30 years sorted...

It's basically a really easy, nice solution... even if it isn't that well thought out.
A solution is something that works out! Right now appointing Giggs feels like a massive, unnecessary gamble.

Escobar

Shameless Musketeer
To appoint Giggs would mean our board is not capable of making smart decisions and that the wrong people who support one another have too much to say. Bayern works completely different but they are successful

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
A solution is something that works out! Right now appointing Giggs feels like a massive, unnecessary gamble.
To us, yes... to them, it's a way to "continue the Manchester United story" or whatever bollocks they'll spout.

Walrus

Oppressed White Male
I think the worst case scenario for our board and those in charge would be a public battle for Pep between us and City, and him choosing the latter. It would be "Welcome to Manchester" x1000. Therefore they will not make their interest in Pep public knowledge.

What is going on behind closed doors could be a different story - we could be fighting tooth and nail for Guardiola, but simply keeping it all hush-hush so that if he does end up going to City that it isnt a case of them beating us to the punch, but rather that we will just say we were never that interested anyway.

dichinero

I think the worst case scenario for our board and those in charge would be a public battle for Pep between us and City, and him choosing the latter. It would be "Welcome to Manchester" x1000. Therefore they will not make their interest in Pep public knowledge.

What is going on behind closed doors could be a different story - we could be fighting tooth and nail for Guardiola, but simply keeping it all hush-hush so that if he does end up going to City that it isnt a case of them beating us to the punch, but rather that we will just say we were never that interested anyway.
I never thought I'd see the day come so soon when United would be fighting tooth and nail against City. Alas, here we are, possibly underdogs to City. We deserve what we get for our complacency.

MarkC

I'm can't bring myself to worry about him going to City. My only worry is another SAF coming along at a City, Liverpool, Arsenal or Chelsea and having to watch on as opposition fans have had to do as we dominated for years.

Guardiola whether he comes to us or City will only be for a few years and I don't think he is on another level as SAF was. Lot of people getting themselves worked up in here for nothing as they did with Klopp.

Jazz

Just in case anyone missed it. I don't like Mount.
The CO92 thing bugs me, as though no other players at the club contributed to our success. Not Ole, not Eric, Dwight, Andy, Bruce and Pallister, Schmeichel, nobody it was all down to them.
It bugs me too.... but again the one constant is Sir Alex. He's a great man, but I suspect unless someone strong imposes themselves at the club - he won't let us move on:(
I understand it's difficult to let go when you've had undisputed power for so many years, but if he's really pushing Giggs behind the scenes and doing everything possible to see that it happens - well it won't end well I don't think. He just doesn't want to lose control.
And Giggs - dear Lord, it's like graduating from University and going straight into a job as CEO of a multi-national cooperation. Insane:rolleyes::(

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
It bugs me too.... but again the one constant is Sir Alex. He's a great man, but I suspect unless someone strong imposes themselves at the club - he won't let us move on:(
I understand it's difficult to let go when you've had undisputed power for so many years, but if he's really pushing Giggs behind the scenes and doing everything possible to see that it happens - well it won't end well I don't think. He just doesn't want to lose control.
And Giggs - dear Lord, it's like graduating from University and going straight into a job as CEO of a multi-national cooperation. Insane:rolleyes::(
Someone else has mentioned that we don't really have a style. LvG wants this possession football which is fair enough, but there is usually some style to it. Not just keep ball. I am not sure this is the way Giggs would want us to play. If he does come in he might change it substantially. That isn't anti-Giggs, but it could delay even further the clubs development.

Silverman

I'm can't bring myself to worry about him going to City. My only worry is another SAF coming along at a City, Liverpool, Arsenal or Chelsea and having to watch on as opposition fans have had to do as we dominated for years.

Guardiola whether he comes to us or City will only be for a few years and I don't think he is on another level as SAF was. Lot of people getting themselves worked up in here for nothing as they did with Klopp.
I see what your saying but papers saying he will bring Messi with him. Unlikely but if someone will bring Messi to the PL, its Pep.

DomesticTadpole

Also the likes of Irwin, Parker and Ince. The 92/93 side broke new ground. CO92 followed on, but always had key players around them. Whatever era we're talking about.
They did, but I was very young at that point. I just find it disrespectul that they get all the credit. SAF built great teams.

Fergus' son

Gets very easily confused
If he is going to City - why not just announce it? Everyone seems to know anyway! Maybe out of respect for Pellegrini but even he seemed resigned to it.

I'm becoming more and more confident that Utd have made him an offer and he is seriously considering it.

Jazz

I really don't like Guardiola. Nobody else think he's a bit of a smug twat? This whole debacle of him announcing that he's leaving Bayern halfway through the season is just ridiculous. His bubble will burst one day, probably if he comes here.
I do. In fact, I've always thought this:D However, he's the best in the business at the moment - so I really wouldn't mind him being our manager if at all possible.

MarkC

I see what your saying but papers saying he will bring Messi with him. Unlikely but if someone will bring Messi to the PL, its Pep.
That would be a concern and I did wonder if that's what they have planned. Whether Messi would actually swap Barcelona and life in the sun for Manchester though i'm not so sure.

Slevs

likes to play with penises
I never thought I'd see the day come so soon when United would be fighting tooth and nail against City. Alas, here we are, possibly underdogs to City. We deserve what we get for our complacency.
What complacency? They won the lottery.

Jazz

Someone else has mentioned that we don't really have a style. LvG wants this possession football which is fair enough, but there is usually some style to it. Not just keep ball. I am not sure this is the way Giggs would want us to play. If he does come in he might change it substantially. That isn't anti-Giggs, but it could delay even further the clubs development.
Oh yeah I can see Giggs tearing things down and doing it a different way - which is why a progression from LVG to Guardiola seems to be the sensible thing as Guardiola would take it to another level. The thought of an inexperienced Giggs coming in thinking he knows best makes me feel kinda sick, and for sure it would drag us backwards all over again.
Grimmer times ahead if the board don't pull their bloody fingers out and engage what's left of their brains:rolleyes:

K2K

"Can Manchester United score? They always score"
If he is going to City - why not just announce it? Everyone seems to know anyway! Maybe out of respect for Pellegrini but even he seemed resigned to it.

I'm becoming more and more confident that Utd have made him an offer and he is seriously considering it.
Not a single manager would do that. It's against whatever managerial code they all seem to adhere. It'll be a terribly kept secret, but can only see the official announcement in May after the end of the season.

You are grasping for straws if that's the reason for your renewed confidence.

Fergus' son

Gets very easily confused
Not a single manager would do that. It's against whatever managerial code they all seem to adhere. It'll be a terribly kept secret, but can only see the official announcement in May after the end of the season.

I'm not grasping at straws, I honestly don't care even half as much as most in here seem to. I just find it a bit odd.

Dumbat12

I really don't like Guardiola. Nobody else think he's a bit of a smug twat? This whole debacle of him announcing that he's leaving Bayern halfway through the season is just ridiculous. His bubble will burst one day, probably if he comes here.
My god, and Van Gaal isn't a smug twat? Sir Alex wasn't? Almost every top manager is what you described, so what should we do about that?

DomesticTadpole

My god, and Van Gaal isn't a smug twat? Sir Alex wasn't? Almost every top manager is what you described, so what should we do about that?
I don't mind managers being smug, as long as they have earned the right to be smug. It's the ones who haven't that are annoying.

Blackwidow

Actually - in the nearer future you should be a lot more worried about Klopp than of Guardiola. It is easier to build up his system and learning just pressing and gegenpressing and the right team work to it. And it even helps to have young and eager (and like this cheaper) players. You do not need all this hours to really get a smooth passing etc.

And - if he seems to have done it at Dortmund - it is easier to teach the players movements and ball distribution schemes for actions having the ball in open space after won the ball - than to learn it for situations in which the opponent sits deeps and there is barely any space to act.

The work Guardiola faces is a lot more difficult. He has to teach the same basics like Klopp does - + accurate passings, positioning... Oh, yes, he has a lot skilled individuals - but for his kind of football he needs teamworkers, too, that do not mind to do the dirty work, that know when to work for the team and when to make the indivdual move etc. You see it at your team how difficult it might be.

MarkC

Actually - in the nearer future you should be a lot more worried about Klopp than of Guardiola. It is easier to build up his system and learning just pressing and gegenpressing and the right team work to it. And it even helps to have young and eager (and like this cheaper) players. You do not need all this hours to really get a smooth passing etc.

And - if he seems to have done it at Dortmund - it is easier to teach the players movements and ball distribution schemes for actions having the ball in open space after won the ball - than to learn it for situations in which the opponent sits deeps and there is barely any space to act.

The work Guardiola faces is a lot more difficult. He has to teach the same basics like Klopp does - + accurate passings, positioning... Oh, yes, he has a lot skilled individuals - but for his kind of football he needs teamworkers, too, that do not mind to do the dirty work, that know when to work for the team and when to make the indivdual move etc. You see it at your team how difficult it might be.
I see the logic in what you are saying. Luckily though Liverpool have a habit of finding a way to feck things up so not overly worried.

I think both will find it difficult in certain aspects. I think Guardiola will get a bit of a shock at how difficult even for the best team it can be to win games here. Teams will be happy to play for draws.

Likewise for Klopp a lot have already sussed out that keeping the game tight and not giving him the space to play in he finds difficult to break down so far. Both good managers but it's an unforgiven league.

Amir

I really don't like Guardiola. Nobody else think he's a bit of a smug twat? This whole debacle of him announcing that he's leaving Bayern halfway through the season is just ridiculous.
I don't think it's so bad. The fact he hasn't signed a new contract made the media speculate anyway, and they would have done it till the end of the season. Also, as he rightly told Bayern he'd be going, they needed to make arragements for his replacement, Ancelotti. Thus, another route for things to leak.

Might as well put things to bed.

Blackwidow

I see the logic in what you are saying. Luckily though Liverpool have a habit of finding a way to feck things up so not overly worried.

I think both will find it difficult in certain aspects. I think Guardiola will get a bit of a shock at how difficult even for the best team it can be to win games here. Teams will be happy to play for draws.

Likewise for Klopp a lot have already sussed out that keeping the game tight and not giving him the space to play in he finds difficult to break down so far. Both good managers but it's an unforgiven league.
The last might be right - a problem that Dortmund faced in the last seasons and why they now changed to a more ball possession oriented team. If you are too big especially the small teams just leave you the ball and you should be in charge with it. But it is not about the matches against the big guys. Klopp probably will have the toughtest matches against the smaller teams.

MarkC

The last might be right - a problem that Dortmund faced in the last seasons and why they now changed to a more ball possession oriented team. If you are too big especially the small teams just leave you the ball and you should be in charge with it. But it is not about the matches against the big guys. Klopp probably will have the toughtest matches against the smaller teams.
You are right based on what we've seen so far. Seems a lot like LVG in that i'm always confident in the big games. A lot of the smaller teams this season have really stepped up a level as well I think.

What I wanted give for another SAF who was the master of beating the small teams and winning a majority against the big teams. Made it look easy as well!

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down

A manager might not but a club will. In handball in Germany it's common practice to hire a new manager whilst he's still finishing his season with a rival. Heard of same things in football too. German just get on with it.

MDFC Manager

If Pellegrini was also out of contract at the end of the season, city would have already made the announcement. But he now needs to be sacked/mutually terminated, which I don't think they want to post date

I.e, he's going to city.

K2K

"Can Manchester United score? They always score"
A manager might not but a club will. In handball in Germany it's common practice to hire a new manager whilst he's still finishing his season with a rival. Heard of same things in football too. German just get on with it.
City seem obsessed with maintaining their image.

Announcing this midseason especially if Pellegrini is doing well both in the league and Europe would be terrible PR for them.

I think its obvious that Pellegrini is a goner though. Poor guy.

Founder of IhateMakeleles.org and Gourcufffanboysa
what amazes me is the media that regularly abuses LVG for being too detail oriented, forcing players to stick to their given roles in the pitch and allegedly instillibg fear in them of punishment for making mistakes or deviating from instruction have been lapping up Henry's tale of Pep strictness and being substituted at half time for daring to drift out of position and deviate from team orders to score a goal and using it to big up Pep as revolutionary and sophisticated...talk of blatant hypocrisy......

Founder of IhateMakeleles.org and Gourcufffanboysa
As much as many expect him to go to City, I still find it kind of strange that they might sack Pellegrini when he's done a reasonable job thus far, and might even win the league for them while potentially having their best CL season yet. I mean, I can understand them really wanting Guardiola, but Pellegrini will be right to feel aggrieved if he gets the boot.

I still think Chelsea's a major possibility.
Pellegrini isnt doing close to enough. Inspite of having one of the best squads in Europe his side regularly exhibits tactical naivety and an over reliance on Kompany, Yaya Toure and Aguero.

Timdbro

"Three years are enough. I am not comfortable with staying at one club for 30 years. I want new restaurants, a new city, a new challenge."

I'd missed this quote the first time they reported his announcement to come to the PL, but it's probably the one thing that makes him going to City slightly less annoying. There's no way he'll stay in Manchester for more than 3 years.

Edit: quote is from the MEN, but supposedly just one of the things he said during the original announcement.

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
"Three years are enough. I am not comfortable with staying at one club for 30 years. I want new restaurants, a new city, a new challenge."

I'd missed this quote the first time they reported his announcement to come to the PL, but it's probably the one thing that makes him going to City slightly less annoying. There's no way he'll stay in Manchester for more than 3 years.

Edit: quote is from the MEN, but supposedly just one of the things he said during the original announcement.
I'd happily take him for three years if he could be successful and leave us in a decent state afterwards.