g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

BBC: Pep Guardiola wants to coach in England

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
I've been boring people to death about City's unfair, unearned financial advantage for centuries now but, for once, I'm convinced there's a point to my moaning. For argument's sake, say that Pep wants to remain the best-paid manager in football; now, City can & will pay him an extraordinary salary, one that other clubs simply won't countenance (similar to their attempt at convincing Kaka to join them for a weekly wage which doubled the standard wage for even the superstars in our game). Further, say that Pep agrees to be City's boss because that salary was the deciding factor - this has the potential to utterly shape and totally change the future history of City, their rivals, and the League; how is this fair to other clubs? It would, if Pep is successful, make a mockery of 'a level playing-field', and all because of of unearned money.
No different to what other clubs have done when they have a financial advantage

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
I've been boring people to death about City's unfair, unearned financial advantage for centuries now but, for once, I'm convinced there's a point to my moaning. For argument's sake, say that Pep wants to remain the best-paid manager in football; now, City can & will pay him an extraordinary salary, one that other clubs simply won't countenance (similar to their attempt at convincing Kaka to join them for a weekly wage which doubled the standard wage for even the superstars in our game). Further, say that Pep agrees to be City's boss because that salary was the deciding factor - this has the potential to utterly shape and totally change the future history of City, their rivals, and the League; how is this fair to other clubs? It would, if Pep is successful, make a mockery of 'a level playing-field', and all because of of unearned money.
There are rumours he only wants to stay for 3 years, I suppose we will have to wait for the contract length to be announced. Not sure what he can do in that time about shaping the club. The likely want him to win the CL for them.
Yet supposedly Jose won't fit here because he only stops at clubs for a short time. Maybe Pep is a bit of a mercenary.

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
No different to what other clubs have done when they have a financial advantage
I have no stats to prove my point but I'd bet that, relatively, City's and Chelsea's attempts to financially fast-forward their futures are unprecedented in the British game.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
There are rumours he only wants to stay for 3 years, I suppose we will have to wait for the contract length to be announced. Not sure what he can do in that time about shaping the club. The likely want him to win the CL for them.
Yet supposedly Jose won't fit here because he only stops at clubs for a short time. Maybe Pep is a bit of a mercenary.
No because hes a cnut and would disgrace the club

SteveJ

Scout
United has pretty much always been about talent, not continuity, so I don't understand why the club is (seemingly) so determined to appoint Ryan.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
United has pretty much always been about talent, not continuity, so I don't understand why the club is (seemingly) so determined to appoint Ryan.
Because, if it worked out it would be an amazing story... and United seem to love this idea of the whole thing being a "story" ... it's in loads of marketing/merch and stuff, so I imagine if Giggs worked out they could go to town with it.

Plus, if he did work out, there's your manager for the next 30 years sorted...

It's basically a really easy, nice solution... even if it isn't that well thought out.

SteveJ

Scout
Because, if it worked out it would be an amazing story... and United seem to love this idea of the whole thing being a "story" ... it's in loads of marketing/merch and stuff, so I imagine if Giggs worked out they could go to town with it.

It's basically a really easy, nice solution... even if it isn't that well thought out.
Good post, AN.

Turnip

likes to be spanked with games consoles
pathetic attitude, if true.
This does actually seem a little too limp-wristed to be true, surely. No other club bats an eye lid at stealing transfers from under our nose, why would we be bothered? That attitude would be the largest reason for a significant decline if it were to happen.

Invictus

Poster of the Year 2015 & 2018
Staff
Supports
Piracy on the High Seas.
Pep joining City has more to do with the lack of planning/ insight by other clubs, including United (this is the excruciating part) because United can offer him as much money as City can given the club's enormous revenues. We were fully aware of the fact that Van Gaal wasn't going to be part of the club's medium to long term plans - and we should have stepped up our efforts in pursuit of Pep/ Carlo/ José (at different times through the season) - who are all upgrades on the Dutchman - who is no longer the visionary coach he was at Ajax, or even Barcelona. Instead, we're doing exactly what we did when Fergie retired - scoffing at the likes of José for a multitude of reasons that have been addressed elsewhere, or waiting until the others are snapped up by other clubs, before appointing the 5th or 6th choice - which Giggs would represent, if indeed we do appoint him. It's like we're not even trying for Guardiola (both according to the brief, and the likelihood of him joining City because of their background interactions since the summer) - which is rather sad, and grates on the more pragmatic section of fans who want to correct our course before we fall further behind the leading pack (not just domestically, but European football as a whole). Once you lose the winning touch, it's hard to replace the aura - and we've already lost a lot of our sheen since Fergie hung up his managerial boots.

If United were serious about appointing Pep, we would have contacted him in the summer when it was public knowledge that he was entering the last year of his contract at Bayern (maybe we did, but it's highly unlikely given the narrative surrounding Van Gaal). We would have sold him the vision of United's 'project' and how we was going to fit into that, guaranteed him the tools to succeed (in terms of transfers and more guaranteed money throughout his tenure), and laid out the red carpets by offering him a massive contract. That's what City have done (presumably) - they've been preparing for years, building up their club from scratch (while we stood pat in terms of infrastructure and background staff); and now they're at a point where they need to take things up a notch, and become a serious European contender, while we're regressed from not just our peak, but even median levels over the last couple decades. Instead of planning an upheaval to move on from the Fergie era, we're busy reminiscing and content with looking at others from our ivory towers and harping about how 'We're United' - as if we have a divine right to win and they'll come because of our name and history, when the landscape of football is changing rather rapidly in front of our eyes; and a lot of players/ managers these days don't give a shite about stature (unless you're Real Madrid and Barcelona) - they care more about present circumstances, money, and chances of success.

Ultimately, we've got no one to blame but ourselves - this is a result of our antics in the transfer market for a long time, the fact that the owners didn't invest back in the club (stadium/ academy/ background footballing staff) and our deluded/ erroneous decision making post Fergie. We botched the transition from him, we don't have a discernible template for the future, we're not willing to sack a massively underperforming manager because apparently he's laying the foundations - which will necessitate a 3 year drought where we win squat (even though a lot of top managers have achieved far more with far less, and in a shorter timeframe) - and that'll be followed by a cycle of Pep at City, where we might down tools and win squat again - because we lack the wherewithal in terms of top players guided a a top manager at the helm - all because we plagued with indecision, and consumed by hubris, and our misguided sense of invulnerability - and the fact that we're likely going to overlook Pep's kryptonite for intangible reasons (when he's been angling for the United job for years).

K2K

"Can Manchester United score? They always score"

But those who forget history are doomed to repeat it.

The last time we hired a recently retired former player as manager, he was arguably our worst ever manager since perhaps post the 2nd world war.

Just like Moyes, this has all the hallmarks of turning into an absolute disaster.

Imagine we struggle badly under Giggs. Just imagine the fans turning against him, the press tearing him to pieces and the board having to contemplate firing 963 game Ryan Giggs. Simply on probabilities alone, that is a more likely scenario than an all conquering Giggs.

The risk is too much, especially for a club with ambitions to be the best in the world, that hasnt been the best in its City for ages now. We are in precarious position now.

But I think we'll do it. Ryan Giggs will become our manager very soon.

BennyBlanco

fixated with Shaw's bum
Pep joining City has more to do with the lack of planning/ insight by other clubs, including United (this is the excruciating part) because United can offer him as much money as City can given the club's enormous revenues. We were fully aware of the fact that Van Gaal wasn't going to be part of the club's medium to long term plans - and we should have stepped up our efforts in pursuit of Pep/ Carlo/ José (at different times through the season) - who are all upgrades on the Dutchman - who is no longer the visionary coach he was at Ajax, or even Barcelona. Instead, we're doing exactly what we did when Fergie retired - scoffing at the likes of José for a multitude of reasons that have been addressed elsewhere, or waiting until the others are snapped up by other clubs, before appointing the 5th or 6th choice - which Giggs would represent, if indeed we do appoint him. It's like we're not even trying for Guardiola (both according to the brief, and the likelihood of him joining City because of their background interactions since the summer) - which is rather sad, and grates on the more pragmatic section of fans who want to correct our course before we fall further behind the leading pack (not just domestically, but European football as a whole). Once you lose the winning touch, it's hard to replace the aura - and we've already lost a lot of our sheen since Fergie hung up his managerial boots.

If United were serious about appointing Pep, we would have contacted him in the summer when it was public knowledge that he was entering the last year of his contract at Bayern (maybe we did, but it's highly unlikely given the narrative surrounding Van Gaal). We would have sold him the vision of United's 'project' and how we was going to fit into that, guaranteed him the tools to succeed (in terms of transfers and more guaranteed money throughout his tenure), and laid out the red carpets by offering him a massive contract. That's what City have done (presumably) - they've been preparing for years, building up their club from scratch (while we stood pat in terms of infrastructure and background staff); and now they're at a point where they need to take things up a notch, and become a serious European contender, while we're regressed from not just our peak, but even median levels over the last couple decades. Instead of planning an upheaval to move on from the Fergie era, we're busy reminiscing and content with looking at others from our ivory towers and harping about how 'We're United' - as if we have a divine right to win and they'll come because of our name and history, when the landscape of football is changing rather rapidly in front of our eyes; and a lot of players/ managers these days don't give a shite about stature (unless you're Real Madrid and Barcelona) - they care more about present circumstances, money, and chances of success.

Ultimately, we've got no one to blame but ourselves - this is a result of our antics in the transfer market for a long time, the fact that the owners didn't invest back in the club (stadium/ academy/ background footballing staff) and our deluded/ erroneous decision making post Fergie. We botched the transition from him, we don't have a discernible template for the future, we're not willing to sack a massively underperforming manager because apparently he's laying the foundations - which will necessitate a 3 year drought where we win squat (even though a lot of top managers have achieved far more with far less, and in a shorter timeframe) - and that'll be followed by a cycle of Pep at City, where we might down tools and win squat again - because we lack the wherewithal in terms of top players guided a a top manager at the helm - all because we plagued with indecision, and consumed by hubris, and our misguided sense of invulnerability - and the fact that we're likely going to overlook Pep's kryptonite for intangible reasons (when he's been angling for the United job for years).
Feel better now?

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
Regardless of how they've got here they're not going away so its just not worth moaning about. City look like they've got a long term plan from youth development upwards while we seemingly don't, or our plan is Giggs :rolleyes:.

If we're not careful City will over take us for earning potential in the not so distant future purely through success on the pitch and what that brings with it. We're in danger of getting left behind because of our own poor decisions, not because of City's foreign investment.

SteveJ

Scout
ants7 said:
pathetic attitude, if true.
Arguably part of the problem is that while City - even now - still endeavour to 'get one over' United, those in charge at our club affect an indifference to what City get up to; both attitudes are wrong-headed, IMO.

SteveJ

Scout
Regardless of how they've got here they're not going away so its just not worth moaning about. City look like they've got a long term plan from youth development upwards while we seemingly don't, or our plan is Giggs :rolleyes:.

If we're not careful City will over take us for earning potential in the not so distant future purely through success on the pitch and what that brings with it. We're in danger of getting left behind because of our own poor decisions, not because of City's foreign investment.
True. Though, if my dire vision of the future pans-out, what would be the point of watching PL football? And I'm not saying that just because United wouldn't be winning trophies and titles but because it would be entirely uncompetitive, and thus, boring.

DomesticTadpole

Arguably part of the problem is that while City - even now - still endeavour to 'get one over' United, those in charge at our club affect an indifference to what City get up to; both attitudes are wrong-headed, IMO.
Problem with our club is we could be in the Conference North and our board will still think we are too high and mighty for City. Instead of doing things to make sure we stay ahead of them. It is complacency on a monumental scale.

Tincanalley

Turns player names into a crappy conversation
Problem with our club is we could be in the Conference North and our board will still think we are too high and mighty for City. Instead of doing things to make sure we stay ahead of them. It is complacency on a monumental scale.
The board is fairly new, in large part, and mostly not footballing people; and is American at its core. Why would they have a high and mighty complacent attitude? I think they did learn from the Moyes debacle. They did allow spending and will spend more. But the real quandry is about the decision making process of the board of MUFC. I wonder how much listening is going on there; and to whom? I wonder did the Moyes thing damage Fergusson much in the boardroom? I wonder if there are actors in there with a lot of effect, that have agendas of their own (well, I know there are, but what are those agendas)? Oh, to be a fly on the wall.

DomesticTadpole

The board is fairly new, in large part, and mostly not footballing people; and is American at its core. Why would they have a high and mighty complacent attitude? I think they did learn from the Moyes debacle. They did allow spending and will spend more. But the real quandry is about the decision making process of the board of MUFC. I wonder how much listening is going on there; and to whom? I wonder did the Moyes thing damage Fergusson much in the boardroom? I wonder if there are actors in there with a lot of effect, that have agendas of their own (well, I know there are, but what are those agendas)? Oh, to be a fly on the wall.
The Ferguson reputation thing might be the problem here. As you say they know naff all about football, so really should be listening to the right people. I actually worry that they are listening to Ferguson and LvG who have this starry eye notion about dynasty and Giggs, despite the fact we have only struck lucky twice in our history with managers and they were both outsiders.

dichinero

Thank you sir.

There is an old African saying, "the great farmer that doesn't sharpen his tools would sooner have his beautiful farmland run over by the weeds".

This is where United and City have found themselves

Keenst

Would be great if he ended up going to city and was incredibly underwhelming.

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
Closest we'll end up getting to Pep at this rate is a pep talk from Ryan Giggs.

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
Would be great if he ended up going to city and was incredibly underwhelming.
While I'd be surprised if he doesn't succeed there, I do think there's a real danger that if he goes and doesn't manage to win the CL, he'll end up being judged as a failure. City have probably been consistently the best side over the past few years (in that they're always 1st or 2nd), but bringing in Guardiola will be what they view as the final piece that's needed to turn them from title winners into CL winners. If he doesn't manage to do that, then some may be unhappy.

Jazz

Just in case anyone missed it. I don't like Mount.
The Ferguson reputation thing might be the problem here. As you say they know naff all about football, so really should be listening to the right people. I actually worry that they are listening to Ferguson and LvG who have this starry eye notion about dynasty and Giggs, despite the fact we have only struck lucky twice in our history with managers and they were both outsiders.
Not sure LVG has any pull whatsoever in terms of the club's direction or successor. However, I believe Sir Alex still has some pull - and I suspect this might be the problem here. The board members should hire someone as a director of football who has nothing to do with SAF, so they can get advice from a completely neutral source. This seems the most logical course of action to me. I can't believe our board doesn't consist of anyone with some common sense?:confused:

DomesticTadpole

Not sure LVG has any pull whatsoever in terms of the club's direction or successor. However, I believe Sir Alex still has some pull - and I suspect this might be the problem here. The board members should hire someone as a director of football who has nothing to do with SAF, so they can get advice from a completely neutral source. This seems the most logical course of action to me. I can't believe our board doesn't consist of anyone with some common sense?:confused:
The CO92 thing bugs me, as though no other players at the club contributed to our success. Not Ole, not Eric, Dwight, Andy, Bruce and Pallister, Schmeichel, nobody it was all down to them.

Tincanalley

Turns player names into a crappy conversation
I can

Keenst

While I'd be surprised if he doesn't succeed there, I do think there's a real danger that if he goes and doesn't manage to win the CL, he'll end up being judged as a failure. City have probably been consistently the best side over the past few years (in that they're always 1st or 2nd), but bringing in Guardiola will be what they view as the final piece that's needed to turn them from title winners into CL winners. If he doesn't manage to do that, then some may be unhappy.
Yeah of course. And it is not a sure thing that he would be a great success like many seem to be sure it would be.

Spiersey

Supports
Chelsea
Would it be fairer if this was United getting him and having their future etc changed because fans abroad buy shirts etc?

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
This. What's is the point of enduring LVG's three years of transition only for Giggs to have his own period of transition. It will annoy me to no end if Giggs takes over and we are fed the bullshit of having to endure shit results while Giggs gets to grip with management.
If we appoint Giggs, I hope the board will demand success like they would have from any other manager.
He deserves time, it's a process, he's United way blah blah blah. If we go down this route it will be painful.

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
But their team has more top class players which could be important.
They really don't have that many more top class players, apart from in their attack. It's become very popular to forget that they have a shit GK, Defence and Midfield. With or without Pep of we get our act together the league is right there to be won.

SteveJ

Scout
Would it be fairer if this was United getting him and having their future etc changed because fans abroad buy shirts etc?
Tbh, both my point & yours have been debated to death on here, mate. I don't speak for United fans, only myself.