g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

BBC: Pep Guardiola wants to coach in England

RedPed

Whatabouter.
I think we have a good chance of getting him. I seem to remember him mentioning the OT atmosphere previously and how he liked the stadium. We've then got him mentioning today about how the stadium is important as well.
Fergie wanted him when he left, which Pep was aware of, so I don't think its certain he'll go to City at all. 50/50 at the moment imo.

If we get Pep then perhaps we'll get Neymar too :)
Imagine them both going to City though ?? :eek:

Anyway, I would really rate these "super-managers" like Mourinho and Guardiola if they showed their true credentials by going to an underperforming team and transforming them into giants. It's easy when you're just hopping from one elite club at the top of it's league by some distance to another. The only place Mourinho can go now is either back to Real, United or to Bayern Munich....doesn't give him much options. And where will Guardiola go next after his England stint....Juventus ??

These managers have a skewed image due to the high profile jobs they only take. I think Guardiola will do ok in England but he's going to be in for a surprise. The English league is like no other and I don't care what nobody says...it's the best. Imagine the City fans turning on him in a couple of years time like they're beginning to with Pellers. Not impossible !

I'm more worried about us keeping van Gaal than Pep going to City!

Tincanalley

Turns player names into a crappy conversation
Pep being classless there. Why make that announcement, why not wait till you actually have something to announce? Well, to instigate more rumours and fan muppetry, to get his face in the media even more. He's being an attention-seeking Mourinho.
Or another possibility could be; he engaged with sitty only to bat his eyes at United. United are not going for it, and he is making one last desperate pitch before his prophesy becomes self-fulfilling. All that talk of culture, atmosphere, stadium was clearly aimed at United, but are United listening?

Tincanalley

Good point RedRover. It does seem strange if it was already done and dusted.

Pep or Mourinho have to be in place for us. There are no other sensible options right now. Giggs is in the right place at the wrong time.
And here is another factor. What a great icing-on-the-cake-factor to go to United and rub Jose's nose in it, again. Think of it this way. To LVG, to Mourhino, and to Pep, City are pretty anonymous. They are the Woolworths of the football league, as seen from abroad. United still have class and glamour.

BobbyManc

Supports
Man City
Or another possibility could be; he engaged with sitty only to bat his eyes at United. United are not going for it, and he is making one last desperate pitch before his prophesy becomes self-fulfilling. All that talk of culture, atmosphere, stadium was clearly aimed at United, but are United listening?
Yeah, Guardiola's definitely whoring himself out to United but they're just not interested in him, thus he's the desperate one in all this. United are also the only team with a culture, atmosphere and stadium. It's all so obvious now!

endless_wheelies

feeling dizzy
And here is another factor. What a great icing-on-the-cake-factor to go to United and rub Jose's nose in it, again. Think of it this way. To LVG, to Mourhino, and to Pep, City are pretty anonymous. They are the Woolworths of the football league, as seen from abroad. United still have class and glamour.
You really think that?

K2K

"Can Manchester United score? They always score"
I don't know how I will cope if he ends up at City. After watching Pogba becoming everything we've needed in the last 2 years, Hernandez scoring in Germany, Thiago-gate, signing Fellaini, and us playing unwatchable bullshit, this might send me over the edge.
Dont do this to yourself.

We've still signed Martial.Our luck isnt all thar bad.

.Rossi

ever get that feeling of déjà vu?
Perfect for Arsenal.
City are a joke, albeit a joke that has overtook us and we're a fecking shambles at every level right now.

*Providing the theory that Arsenal win the league and Wenger retires.

Amir

Coaches and players really don't need to do that publicly in order to hint to clubs they're interested. There's no problem sending the message through agents.

Man of Steel

Smashed it!!
I'm doubting people's commitment to Sparkle Motion
I don't rate City (or Chelski) purely for being a sugar daddy bought success club, but they are not anonymous anymore to top managers, although they were for a while.

We do still have that 'United' factor, plus the history, fans and money, but I'm not sure how much longer it will matter to top managers (if it even matters now for some) if we do not win the title for the next five years or more.

Success winning major trophies and money are more important for most if not all top managers than being the manager of a historic, glamourous Liverpool or a United who don't or cant win titles and trophies. It's sad but true. We need to sort our shite out quickly.

If City win 3 out of the next five titles with Chelsea and Arsenal winning 1 each, where would that leave United in top managers thinking?

I'm having January blues woes methinks....:(

Michael T

You really think that?
Of course it's true. Look at Manuel Pellegrini - his reputation hasn't been enhanced worldwide because he's been managing City - rather he's about as well known now as when he took the job - he's in the wilderness. I suppose it's the equivalent of the late Steve Jobs taking a couple of years out from Apple to manage Poundland because they offered him a few extra quid. No matter how much money they might pay him - it's still bloody Poundland.

K2K

"Can Manchester United score? They always score"
Of course it's true. Look at Manuel Pellegrini - his reputation hasn't been enhanced worldwide because he's been managing City - rather he's about as well known now as when he took the job - he's in the wilderness. I suppose it's the equivalent of the late Steve Jobs taking a couple of years out from Apple to manage Poundland because they offered him a few extra quid. No matter how much money they might pay him - it's still bloody Poundland.
Maybe that's only because of Pellegrini's quiet demeanor and nothing to do with City.

He's a former Real Madrid manager afterall...and they are certainly a worldwide attraction.

Vooon

Hal Institute for Criminally Insane Robots
i am quite surprised with United's lethargic approach to everything these days. We may not like how City do things no one can deny the ambitions they have of being the best team in the world. These guys are making big movements but we are too blinded by our hate fro them to see them creeping up on us. If we think our history or the biggest club tag will carry us on, we are having a laugh. If we carry on at this rate, City will surpass us on all fronts. 10 years from, history will write facts. Uneasy lies the head that wears the crown, just ask Liverpool.
Kinda the same feeling I've got these days.

I'd also be extremely surprised if Pep comes to us, but delighted of course.

Cee90

Redcafe Fantasy Football Champion 2012/13
You know what, I'm now 100% sure that we're getting Pep after reading that.

If we wanted Mourinho we'd have him by now. We're sticking with LVG until Pep arrives.

Trust me lads, I can feel it in my balls.

dichinero

I don't rate City (or Chelski) purely for being a sugar daddy bought success club, but they are not anonymous anymore to top managers, although they were for a while.

We do still have that 'United' factor, plus the history, fans and money, but I'm not sure how much longer it will matter to top managers (if it even matters now for some) if we do not win the title for the next five years or more.

Success winning major trophies and money are more important for most if not all top managers than being the manager of a historic, glamourous Liverpool or a United who don't or cant win titles and trophies. It's sad but true. We need to sort our shite out quickly.

If City win 3 out of the next five titles with Chelsea and Arsenal winning 1 each, where would that leave United in top managers thinking?

I'm having January blues woes methinks....:(
I really do feel for fans that keep hiding behind our history and glamour of the past. The reality is that City are catching up real quick. For what we want to say about them, hiring Pep doesn't seem to be pushing above their own weight. Forget history and glamour, City are quickly becoming a big club. Only recently there were suggestions that City was valued @ £2bn ish, let that sink in. If that is not close then I don't know what is. United are still racking in the revenue because of our fanbase but the reality is that the majority of United fans don't even watch football or care about United as much as you and I, they just "like" us because we are part of the successful bunch. Let's see what happens when City keep on progressing and win a couple of titles in a few years and we win nothing. Maybe history will come and save us then. Just ask Liverpool, Inter and Milan.

Kant-ona

"I haven't decided on a new club yet."

I think this is a big lie. Pep already made his decision. And if he had not: United seems to be too lethargic and slow-thinking these days to get a man like Pep on board. Can't see it happen.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID

Anyway, I would really rate these "super-managers" like Mourinho and Guardiola if they showed their true credentials by going to an underperforming team and transforming them into giants. It's easy when you're just hopping from one elite club at the top of it's league by some distance to another. The only place Mourinho can go now is either back to Real, United or to Bayern Munich....doesn't give him much options. And where will Guardiola go next after his England stint....Juventus ??

These managers have a skewed image due to the high profile jobs they only take. I think Guardiola will do ok in England but he's going to be in for a surprise. The English league is like no other and I don't care what nobody says...it's the best. Imagine the City fans turning on him in a couple of years time like they're beginning to with Pellers. Not impossible !

Actually think the opposite is true, those high profile jobs are the most difficult ones around and managers who aren't good enough will be exposed there much sooner than they would in lesser jobs. The Moyes effect in fact.

Man of Steel

Smashed it!!
I'm doubting people's commitment to Sparkle Motion
I really do feel for fans that keep hiding behind our history and glamour of the past. The reality is that City are catching up real quick. For what we want to say about them, hiring Pep doesn't seem to be pushing above their own weight. Forget history and glamour, City are quickly becoming a big club. Only recently there were suggestions that City was valued @ £2bn ish, let that sink in. If that is not close then I don't know what is. United are still racking in the revenue because of our fanbase but the reality is that the majority of United fans don't even watch football or care about United as much as you and I, they just "like" us because we are part of the successful bunch. Let's see what happens when City keep on progressing and win a couple of titles in a few years and we win nothing. Maybe history will come and save us then. Just ask Liverpool, Inter and Milan.
I think you are maybe replying to Tincanalleys post below and not mine?

Tincanalley

Yeah, Guardiola's definitely whoring himself out to United but they're just not interested in him, thus he's the desperate one in all this. United are also the only team with a culture, atmosphere and stadium. It's all so obvious now!
Not entirely true. City have a stadium. Peace.

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.

You mean like Guardiola taking Barcelona over after 3rd place finish and two trophyless seasons or Mourinho coming back to Chelsea after they finished 3rd in the league barely scrapping for a top 4 place under Benitez? :) Mourinho has basically only taken over teams that had an ambition they could not fulfil - Inter wanted CL and did not get a sniff in years, Chelsea did not win the title in 50 years before his first stint and Madrid were terrible in CL not passing a single knockout round between 2004 and 2011.

RedRover

Good point RedRover. It does seem strange if it was already done and dusted.

Pep or Mourinho have to be in place for us. There are no other sensible options right now. Giggs is in the right place at the wrong time.
I tend to agree.

It just seems odd to have everyone playing guessing games if it's all ready signed, sealed and delivered. It could upset Bayern's season and it's just not his style.

Walters_19_MuFc

People can speculate all they want. Fact is, he said he hasnt signed anything yet, so i'm not sure why everyone thinks hes going to City.

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.

If we wanted Mourinho we'd have him by now. We're sticking with LVG until Pep arrives.

Charlton would never allow us to have Mourinho and board are happy with van Gaal. We need to deal with it. It's van Gaal for the next 18 months regardless of results if a 0-0 draw is considered job saver and then it's Giggs for a very long time regardless of results too. We're a mess.

RedPed

Whatabouter.
Actually think the opposite is true, those high profile jobs are the most difficult ones around and managers who aren't good enough will be exposed there much sooner than they would in lesser jobs. The Moyes effect in fact.
Moyes was never in that bracket. Yeah he did a steady job at Everton but he was their longest serving trophy-less manager in their history. He should never have come to United. He was way out his depth. There's no such thing as the Moyes effect. He just thinks he's better than he actually is.

Not being good enough at these elite clubs is losing two or three games, coming 2nd in the league or missing out on a trophy in a season. Let's get things in perspective. They're no more difficult than other jobs...actually they should be easier as they usually have the best players and usually vast resources at their disposal...that's what every top manager would wish for. What IS more difficult is managing the expectation of these clubs...more so the chairman who unrealistically expect to win everything.

The Mourinhos and Guardiolas of this world don't have the challenges of most managers because they take over the clubs already at the top of their game and have unlimited resources to make them better.

That's what I'm saying...if they went to a second tier club and I'm talking your Atleticos, Dortmunds, Napolis, Lyons, Liverpools of this world and got them challenging the for the title and even winning it...just like Fergie did with Aberdeen, then yeah I would call them truly great. Klopp did it with Dortmund and if he does the same with Liverpool in a few years time, I will rate him higher than those two.

But they haven't got the bottle and just play it safe on the managerial merry-go-round of the top European clubs. Even Mourinho is now coming full circle and being linked with Real Madrid again. He would never go to Spurs or Valencia or somewhere like that. Too much hard work and in danger of being found out!

RedRover

Mourinho is seemingly imminent at United?
He was according to the press. And who knows - maybe the rumours of the club sounding him out were true. If so, that might encourage another manager who may be interested this summer to show their hand.

United seemed perhaps keen on Mourinho (no backing of LVG openly after the Stoke game) and now seem to have backed off. Could be because Guardiola told them he was available.

It is of course all conjecture but I don't understand why Guardiola would have people guessing if he's already signed with City when he could have kept quiet and just let the season finish and arrive in the summer with no fuss and no press speculation.

RedPed

Whatabouter.
You mean like Guardiola taking Barcelona over after 3rd place finish and two trophyless seasons or Mourinho coming back to Chelsea after they finished 3rd in the league barely scrapping for a top 4 place under Benitez? :) Mourinho has basically only taken over teams that had an ambition they could not fulfil - Inter wanted CL and did not get a sniff in years, Chelsea did not win the title in 50 years before his first stint and Madrid were terrible in CL not passing a single knockout round between 2004 and 2011.
Those teams had the financial clout and reputation as one of the big boys. Each team goes through a lull just like United now...you can't win everything every year. I'm just on about doing it with lesser clubs that aren't the richest in their leagues and have to step up to challenge the big boys.

Attila

Supports
Trad Bricks
Those teams had the financial clout and reputation as one of the big boys. Each team goes through a lull just like United now...you can't win everything every year. I'm just on about doing it with lesser clubs that aren't the richest in their leagues and have to step up to challenge the big boys.
Didn't Mourinho 'step up' to win the CL with Porto and Inter. Two really impressive achievements

RedPed

Whatabouter.
Didn't Mourinho 'step up' to win the CL with Porto and Inter. Two really impressive achievements
Yeah they were top of their leagues at the time and yeah he did well to win the CL although he was very lucky with Porto. Would he have done it with Braga or Fiorentina?? Don't think so.

Parry Gallister

Hear what you're saying, but why would they? Can't think of many other fields where managers are judged like that, most on leaving a top job go to another, rather than taking a step down to prove a point.

Perhaps motivating different sorts of players and clubs with different resources/priorities takes a different, maybe incompatible set of skills too.

BennyBlanco

fixated with Shaw's bum
People can speculate all they want. Fact is, he said he hasnt signed anything yet, so i'm not sure why everyone thinks hes going to City.
I'd presume because he's been linked with City solidly (daily? ) for past a year and a half at this point, and would explain their odd decision to stick with Pelligrini last summer despite a woefully inadequate campaign last year, i.e. waiting on Pep.
If you were a betting man, the smart money could only be on City.

Cee90

Redcafe Fantasy Football Champion 2012/13
Charlton would never allow us to have Mourinho and board are happy with van Gaal. We need to deal with it. It's van Gaal for the next 18 months regardless of results if a 0-0 draw is considered job saver and then it's Giggs for a very long time regardless of results too. We're a mess.
I agree with everything you've said there, apart from the board being happy with LVG bit.

No way am I having that they're happy with LVG.

We're waiting for Pep!

redshaw

I can see all four clubs being viable. He's talked very well about Arsenal in the past and who knows when Wenger will go, he mentioned 2017. Say he wins the league this year, he could retire on a high note a year early and hand it over to Pep but of course he could be very keen to stay on.

I think Arsenal may have enough money and I don't think Pep is all about crazy signings anyway and just wants to come here and take the right challenge. Not dismissing City, they seem all setup to welcome him with open arms and a lot could depend on do the board of United or Arsenal go for Pep and cut the existing manager a year short. From what we've heard Roman wants him at Chelsea for a long time and that door is open.

The quote today from Peo sounds like a hey come and get me plea.

What Bayern fans may know is that Pep says a lot, he could be open to PSG or a year off.

Attila

Supports
Trad Bricks
Yeah they were top of their leagues at the time and yeah he did well to win the CL although he was very lucky with Porto. Would he have done it with Braga or Fiorentina?? Don't think so.
Is there any manager who would win the CL with Braga...

I just had a look and Porto hadn't won the league in 3 years before Mourinho came. He won the Europa League and title in his first season. And then the title and CL in his second

Edit - Just read this while looking at his previous seasons...pretty crazy stat

Between 23 February 2002 and 2 April 2011, Mourinho went 150 home league matches unbeaten: 38 (W36–D2) with Porto, 60 (W46–D14) with Chelsea, 38 (W29–D9) with Internazionale and 14 (W14–D0) with Real Madrid. The run was broken by Sporting de Gijón on 2 April 2011, when they defeated Real Madrid 1–0 at the Santiago Bernabéu Stadium in La Liga.

Last edited:

Natener

It is really not that easy to win the CL, top of the league or not. Just look at ourselves.

KingMinger22

City >>> United. Moaning twat
Haha that is optimistic, for sure.

He is going to City - which is a club that have been on the rise for a while and need him to take them to the next level.

City have the dream owners. All they want is glory and success for the club and are throwing their unlimited resources behind that goal with no sign of stopping.

You can be rose tinted as you like but United are in an absolute mess and need an absolute mammoth budget to buy a new squad practically.

City have a good squad and just need a great manager and one or two additions to ensure CL contenders.

Pep has a far, far higher chance of success with City.

Hammerfell

Haha that is optimistic, for sure.

He is going to City - which is a club that have been on the rise for a while and need him to take them to the next level.

City have the dream owners. All they want is glory and success for the club and are throwing their unlimited resources behind that goal with no sign of stopping.

You can be rose tinted as you like but United are in an absolute mess and need an absolute mammoth budget to buy a new squad practically.

City have a good squad and just need a great manager and one or two additions to ensure CL contenders.

Pep has a far, far higher chance of success with City.
Never has a tagline been more accurate.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite

Give us daily update 'till the end of season.

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
I can't stand City but if you can't see the argument in my above points, you are deluded.
City are 6 points ahead of us.

After an unprecedented run of failing to win a game, with an idiot of a manager running things we're a grand total of 6 points behind them.

Your desire to paint United as in ruins with City the masters of the universe is pathetic and also complete nonsense.