BBC: Pep Guardiola wants to coach in England

Timdbro

I saw that, how can he even say stuff like that with a straight face? Doesn't mention once that LVG had absolutely no PL experience either, what an idiot.

I'd happily take him for three years if he could be successful and leave us in a decent state afterwards.
Absolutely, that's a given - hence why I saw it's incredibly annoying he's going to City. But at the very least, we know he won't stay with them more than 3 years.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
We really need to get over this "long term" plans for a manager.

Picking managers of Peps quality sequentially for the next 15 years is a far better plan than grooming someone like Giggs "because he'll stick around for 15 years."

Timdbro

We really need to get over this "long term" plans for a manager.

Picking managers of Peps quality sequentially for the next 15 years is a far better plan than grooming someone like Giggs "because he'll stick around for 15 years."
Honest question, do you think this is what the board are thinking?
I reckon Pep picked City a while ago, and there's not much we can do about it now.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Honest question, do you think this is what the board are thinking?
I reckon Pep picked City a while ago, and there's not much we can do about it now.

I think the club believed that a big reason for Ferguson's success is that he could stay through cycles and offer continuity. Changing a manager every 2/3 years means the squad vision is never realised.

Look at Van Gaal now, what would happen if Mourinho took over? Another clear out and back to step 1.

I genuinely think that Van Gaal could win titles with what he has if he is able to finish his vision and add world class attackers. We can moan about us being light years behind certain other sides but replace our attack with their's and we'd be at the same level.

K2K

"Can Manchester United score? They always score"
Lothar Matthaus has come out and said that he fears that Pep wont be able to give his full attention to Bayern as he will be too busy worrying about the squad planning for Man City.

Also said he believes Pep has already signed, even through the denials.

Edit: the article posted above.

Blackwidow

Lothar Matthaus has come out and said that he fears that Pep wont be able to give his full attention to Bayern as he will be too busy worrying about the squad planning for Man City.

Also said he believes Pep has already signed, even through the denials.

Edit: the article posted above.
Yes - that is why Loddar does not even get a job as greenkeeper for Bayern... ;)

RedStarUnited

What I don't get is, The reasons Pep will join City ahead of us are supposedly because of his friends and setup over there. Now the friends were there in 2013 but he still joined Bayern and I cant imagine City being that much better setup in any shape or form compared to us.

As for their squad, a lot of their players are approaching their used by date. I would say of the bottom list, only 3/4 will be of use to Pep.

Player - Age at start of next season
Zabaleta - 31
Demicheles - 35
Navas - 30
Sagna - 32
Fernandinho - 31
Toure - 33
Silva - 30
Clichy - 31
Kompany - 30

If he goes there, he will have to do a clear out and buy some new players just as much he would need to do if he came here.

Basically, im just thinking, if we were to match his pay and commit to buy whoever he wants. I dont see why we wouldn't have a shot at getting him. City shouldn't be that far ahead of us to land him as the media are making it out to be.

Jazz

Just in case anyone missed it. I don't like Mount.
A bit speculative here: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/fo...icised-Manchester-United-s-playing-style.html

Saying Adidas criticism of our style might have something to do with - Pep's closeness to Adidas ( I guess inferring Adidas would be happy for Pep to take the job), and that Bayern 'sources' expected him to get the United job.
Seems it might be too late now as Pep would have preferred an approach from SAF and Gill.

A bit all over the place that article. However, I posted it because I've been wondering if Adidas wouldn't try and push Pep towards us as he's the current best in the world and he would look great alongside their £750M investment? Can't imagine they don't have some influence??

Moonred

That article is just what any would write putting together everything including speculations that's been going on without actually knowing what's going on behind the scenes. Adidas would want it, why wouldn't Adidas want to be associated with the most high profile manager in the football world. But whatever their influence is won't be enough to change Pep's course which looks destined for City. From the outside, it really is obvious to me. Wish I am wrong. However, I do feel this will be Pep's toughest challenge and City's domination is a tad bit presumptuous.

Needham

A bit speculative here: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/fo...icised-Manchester-United-s-playing-style.html

Saying Adidas criticism of our style might have something to do with - Pep's closeness to Adidas ( I guess inferring Adidas would be happy for Pep to take the job), and that Bayern 'sources' expected him to get the United job.
Seems it might be too late now as Pep would have preferred an approach from SAF and Gill.

A bit all over the place that article. However, I posted it because I've been wondering if Adidas wouldn't try and push Pep towards us as he's the current best in the world and he would look great alongside their £750M investment? Can't imagine they don't have some influence??
That's a decent point. You just hope there are secret meetings that we don't know about, elite level tapping ups which involve winks and blank cheques and pride. Adidas is a famous brand, in Germany at least. So they probably influence the Spanish heavily. Ultimately, if Pep wants to sign for a blue club he will probably choose City. But you've probably overstated the relationship between sponsors and careers. A man will only follow his wallet if his heart is also weighing down on his pocket. Let's hope Guardiola sees the history he might pass into if he chooses.

Jazz

That's a decent point. You just hope there are secret meetings that we don't know about, elite level tapping ups which involve winks and blank cheques and pride. Adidas is a famous brand, in Germany at least. So they probably influence the Spanish heavily. Ultimately, if Pep wants to sign for a blue club he will probably choose City. But you've probably overstated the relationship between sponsors and careers. A man will only follow his wallet if his heart is also weighing down on his pocket. Let's hope Guardiola sees the history he might pass into if he chooses.
Yeah I would think Adidas might try and exert their influence - very odd to hear a sponsor coming out and commenting on a team's play style (correct me if I'm wrong but I don't remember that happening). Honestly I think Pep would come to us - really believe that. The problem is our board - I think there are people there with their own self interest which is impacting on the club as a whole in making proper decisions. If we're like that, then Pep won't feel 100% wanted. A complete mess.
I know it's a long shot but I think only external factors (eg. Adidas) would be able to penetrate our boardroom. Left to their own devices without the threat of losing income, they'll probably continue making daft footballing decisions...

Jazz

That article is just what any would write putting together everything including speculations that's been going on without actually knowing what's going on behind the scenes. Adidas would want it, why wouldn't Adidas want to be associated with the most high profile manager in the football world. But whatever their influence is won't be enough to change Pep's course which looks destined for City. From the outside, it really is obvious to me. Wish I am wrong. However, I do feel this will be Pep's toughest challenge and City's domination is a tad bit presumptuous.
Yeah, I can see that happening as well. But at least they give themselves the best chance of succeeding by hiring the best coach. WE at the moment just seem to be faffing about with big footballing decisions... :(

arthurka

What I don't get is, The reasons Pep will join City ahead of us are supposedly because of his friends and setup over there. Now the friends were there in 2013 but he still joined Bayern and I cant imagine City being that much better setup in any shape or form compared to us.

As for their squad, a lot of their players are approaching their used by date. I would say of the bottom list, only 3/4 will be of use to Pep.

Player - Age at start of next season
Zabaleta - 31
Demicheles - 35
Navas - 30
Sagna - 32
Fernandinho - 31
Toure - 33
Silva - 30
Clichy - 31
Kompany - 30

If he goes there, he will have to do a clear out and buy some new players just as much he would need to do if he came here.

Basically, im just thinking, if we were to match his pay and commit to buy whoever he wants. I dont see why we wouldn't have a shot at getting him. City shouldn't be that far ahead of us to land him as the media are making it out to be.
That's exactly what I've been thinking 9 of 11 players are around or over 30 and there is a huge rebuilding to be made there involving all the pockets available.. I would guess well over £500M + and patience is not going to be much over there as he is the best manager in the world. I just dont want to go there but there might just be a chance of us getting him and with some clever tweaking and buying our squad could be competing in less than a year. And us fans are surely ready to give him a real chance after the last two we had.. As we are slowly turning into dear I say it Liverpool...

Bob Loblaw

Supports
Liverpool
Barcelona did well to get rid of any Mendes, Raiola or Seluk clients. The three of them are planks.

BobbyManc

Supports
Man City
Barcelona did well to get rid of any Mendes, Raiola or Seluk clients. The three of them are planks.
The former two I wouldn't label planks. They certainly know what they're doing, even if you don't like the way they do business. Seluk on the other hand seems a bit of a muppet, every time he speaks it always reflects badly on Toure.