BBC: 'Solskjaer was a player, he understands us' - Marcus Rashford opens up about Man Utd

Florida Man

Cartoon expert and crap superhero
Agreed, people always talk about clearing the deadwood in the squad. There's a lot of deadwood in this forum these days and clearing them out would do this place a world of good.
Skepticism is one thing and welcomed but writing in terms of absolutes and binary scenarios is just annoying.

Only exceptions are match day forums and up to an hour after a loss/weak draw.

Winmove

You don't have to be a dog in past life to be a dog trainer.

Ban

Yeah I edited my post. I guess there's no harm in having some positivity now and then. After all, you never know, a manager with a Championship level résumé understanding this group of mediocre players might be the key to success.

Remember when Rashford said something similar a couple of weeks before the season started, and we've all seen how that's turned out. But let's have more faith. Having more faith could also be the secret to success.
Stay a newbie forever.

lysglimt

Scout
On the contrary, what can anyone see in Rashford that proves he's a "very down to earth" kid ? That he talked well in an interview ?
What can anyone see in Rashford who disproves it ?

HowieC

Amazingly, if his name was Rashfordinho and he played for some foreign club and had the same stats at the same age these same fools would be talking about how we should break the bank to get him. There's a reason why he has been fast tracked into our first team and is the player our opponents fear the most. Too bad some of our own supporters fail to see that...
If his name was Rashfordinho people would be wondering what kind of Brazilian can't control the ball effectively or dribble and take on his man in tighter spaces. If he wasn't an academy player and hyped so ridiculously he would not be playing for united.

Alabaster Codify7

Amazingly, if his name was Rashfordinho and he played for some foreign club and had the same stats at the same age these same fools would be talking about how we should break the bank to get him. There's a reason why he has been fast tracked into our first team and is the player our opponents fear the most. Too bad some of our own supporters fail to see that...

Except we definitely wouldn't, would we?
There are numerous foreign strikers out there who a) don't score 20 goals a season and b) can't get into their national teams starting 11 and we aren't clamouring for them, are we? Nor are any of them earning 200k a fecking week either.

Rashford is the total opposite of the clumsy comparison you've just made. He's a player fans would never be highly keen on signing from another side, he doesnt have the stats to stand out. If he wasn't from our academy, we would never be looking to sign him. Imagine Rashford playing for Watford - scoring 10-15 league goals a season, shooting from long range all the time and trying to be Ronaldo without an ounce of the talent. United fans would laugh at the prospect of signing him and would call him a hit-and-run merchant with no end product.

rotherham_red

There are numerous foreign strikers out there who a) don't score 20 goals a season and b) can't get into their national teams starting 11 and we aren't clamouring for them, are we? Nor are any of them earning 200k a fecking week either.

Rashford is the total opposite of the clumsy comparison you've just made. He's a player fans would never be highly keen on signing from another side, he doesnt have the stats to stand out. If he wasn't from our academy, we would never be looking to sign him. Imagine Rashford playing for Watford - scoring 10-15 league goals a season, shooting from long range all the time and trying to be Ronaldo without an ounce of the talent. United fans would laugh at the prospect of signing him and would call him a hit-and-run merchant with no end product.
Wanna guess how his stats stack up compared to other players his age? Or even current and previous world class players when they were his age? That is such a bollocks argument, I can't believe it's even up for debate.

Funny also, that you should talk about Ronnie btw. Want to guess what his stats were in terms of goalscoring at the same point (three seasons in): 6; 9; 12 in all competitions. Rashford comfortably outperformed him with 8; 11; 13. Where Ronaldo went into overdrive, Rashford has yet to and probably never will - but you know what, I couldn't care less. He's a fantastic player in his own right, and he easily compares to any of his contemporaries not named Mbappe.

If you think otherwise, then the issue is with you.

Kurton

Agreed 100%. have not seen the attackers getting involved or stich up a beautiful move purely because we lose any sort of possession in the midfield or are clueless under high press.
I think we do sometimes, but it just seems improvised by players at that moment. That is why usually we see that passes are overhit or underhit. There seems to some good move going on in final third, but someone's pass usually doesn't end up where it should be, leading to the move breaking up. It just doesn't seem organic like the way City, Pool, and even likes on Leicester do. I feel it mainly down to moves not practiced enough in training.

Now I'm waiting for angry full members to start abusing me (newbie):nervous:.

Last edited:

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Wanna guess how his stats stack up compared to other players his age? Or even current and previous world class players when they were his age? That is such a bollocks argument, I can't believe it's even up for debate.

Funny also, that you should talk about Ronnie btw. Want to guess what his stats were in terms of goalscoring at the same point (three seasons in): 6; 9; 12 in all competitions. Rashford comfortably outperformed him with 8; 11; 13. Where Ronaldo went into overdrive, Rashford has yet to and probably never will - but you know what, I couldn't care less. He's a fantastic player in his own right, and he easily compares to any of his contemporaries not named Mbappe.

You don't even have to compare him with Ronaldo, we signed Martial who scored 9 league goals in French league, Liverpool signed Mane who scored 10 and 11 league goals, City signed Sane who scored 8 league goals in Bundesliga.

People wouldn't be keen to sign him if he was playing for midtable PL club but would have been on muppet train if he was playing in other leagues. Just take Depay as an example, the poster you replied to thought Depay was exciting winger back in 2015 and he scored around 20 goals in very poor league.

passing-wind

It's a positive interview, I'd question the Rashford being captain material posts as he's not done enough to really warrant that status and is relatively inwards of himself (personality wise) a captain especially for the size of our club needs to be very vocal having a voice on the pitch.

Rashford is overall a decent prospect, the problem which Solskjaer is solely responsible for is making Marcus a lead striker when he doesn't have enough in his arsenal at this current moment in time to spearhead an attack on his own. He looks more comfortable for England because he has Kane / Sterling quality playing around him. A Rashford playing as a 9 is going to be mediocre but if you put him as a inside forward on the left with a quality striker and a right winger I reckon we are talking about a different player. We are giving him too much responsibility when his game still needs to mature.

rotherham_red

It's a positive interview, I'd question the Rashford being captain material posts as he's not done enough to really warrant that status and is relatively inwards of himself (personality wise) a captain especially for the size of our club needs to be very vocal having a voice on the pitch.

Rashford is overall a decent prospect, the problem which Solskjaer is solely responsible for is making Marcus a lead striker when he doesn't have enough in his arsenal at this current moment in time to spearhead an attack on his own. He looks more comfortable for England because he has Kane / Sterling quality playing around him. A Rashford playing as a 9 is going to be mediocre but if you put him as a inside forward in the left with a quality striker and a right winger I reckon we are talking about a different player.
He hasn't though. Martial is the lead striker this season. It's only been due to injuries that Rashford has led the line in the last two games.

imamuppet

This giving newbies 5 posts in the main forum isn't really working, bar the quality posts from the likes of @Wolff etc
Thats not fair!

Thats like me saying everyone from Rotherham is full if sh....

The biggest flaw of the 'newbie' system is that its running back to front!

What im going to say should apply to all members.

When a person joins they should have a points threshold, lets say you start with 200 points.

Each good post gets you points, each bad post eats into your points.

Once you reach 100 points you are relegated to a newbie.

But you never start as a newbie.

This way, the 'Full Members' are who full of it get relegated.

While 'New Members' who relay a positive vibe to this forum can post as 'Full Members'

As its quite clear the newbie system is not working as intended

Last edited:

rotherham_red

Thats not fair!

Thats like me saying everyone from Rotherham is full if sh....

The biggest flaw of the 'newbie' system is that its running back to front!

What im going to say should apply to all members.

When a person joins they should have a points threshold, lets say you start with 200 points.

Each good post gets you points, each bad post eats into your points.

Once you reach 100 points you are relegated to a newbie.

But you never start as a newbie.

This way, the 'Full Members' are who full of it get relegated.

While 'New Members' who relay a positive vibe to this forum can post as 'Full Members'

As its quite clear the newbie system is not working as intended
I mean, I didn't tar you all with the same brush tbf, it wasn't as if I just said Wolff was the only good newbie... And you'd be right about people from Rotherham btw :D

HowieC

Well if you say so.. His skill is a far far cry from Sterling, Ronaldo at the same age, Sancho(19) and even our very own James and Martial. Maybe people should stop judging him based on youtube compilations (which aren't that great anyway) and observe his:

- lack of comfort in receiving the ball and shifting it into an optimal position to take a shot, or pass on his first touch
- The resultant resorting to flashy but ineffective flicks as a result of not having the aforementioned touch
- Inability to cut in effectively and dribble in front of the defence to lash a shot in
- Inability to take on his man out wide without a ton of space and with more than the opposing fullback in the general area
- Zero holdup play when playing as a striker
- Poor ability to play effective 1 2s without sending the ball backwards or holding up the attack with a useless flick
- Mediocre finishing (decent shooting technique in general though)
- Zero heading ability

Do the above flaws sound like a 200k/week player, or even someone who should be playing in a club better than say West ham or Watford?

We are united supporters and should cheer the team in general and be supportive, but there is nothing wrong in observing a player's lack of ability, especially on a freaking discussion forum

Wolff

City.. 1 year transition.
Simply not true. Three transfer windows, and still they where shaky for a while. I remember posters not unlike yourself saying Pep was found out by the English game..

Wolff

No, i do not watch chess and I have no idea what Chess has to do with football.

One is a board game that has pieces and is controlled by one person the other is a team game with instructions by the manager but he cannot control what individuals do on the pitch.

Just because commentators use the expression "game of chess" doesn't mean it is literally a game of chess.

Lots of work, few signings? yeah I do not buy that.. Every successful team has had alot of signings and a bit of work.

Ole has been in the job for 8 months, that is a long time in football.
Chess and football is very much alike. It’s about keeping balance while creating unbalance. And the combinations are endless.
I really don’t care what you buy or not.. As it’s clear you have no idea about the delicates of football.

rotherham_red

Well if you say so.. His skill is a far far cry from Sterling, Ronaldo at the same age, Sancho(19) and even our very own James and Martial. Maybe people should stop judging him based on youtube compilations (which aren't that great anyway) and observe his:

- lack of comfort in receiving the ball and shifting it into an optimal position to take a shot, or pass on his first touch
- The resultant resorting to flashy but ineffective flicks as a result of not having the aforementioned touch
- Inability to cut in effectively and dribble in front of the defence to lash a shot in
- Inability to take on his man out wide without a ton of space and with more than the opposing fullback in the general area
- Zero holdup play when playing as a striker
- Poor ability to play effective 1 2s without sending the ball backwards or holding up the attack with a useless flick
- Mediocre finishing (decent shooting technique in general though)
- Zero heading ability

Do the above flaws sound like a 200k/week player, or even someone who should be playing in a club better than say West ham or Watford?

We are united supporters and should cheer the team in general and be supportive, but there is nothing wrong in observing a player's lack of ability, especially on a freaking discussion forum
I legitimately stopped reading for a while at the point you said Sterling. feck. Ing. Hell. Sterling at the same age was a running joke, ffs. And then to compound how shit of a post it was, you then laid on James! After four decent-good games at that!

All you've done is list subjective points, and made the cardinal sin of assuming that a 21 year old player is not going to improve and develop. I mean, it's not like Kane was only just breaking through at Spurs at his age after struggling at some of his loan clubs, or Sterling couldn't finish himself off let alone a chance at the same age. I've not posted any YouTube links or even spoke about his style of play. I've spoken about what he's achieved in a short space of time, which is a more than adequate comparison to what others around his age have done.

He's also shown at various points each of the things you highlighted as being weaknesses. The fact that they aren't coming through consistently means that it's a case of developing him further to bring about the consistency.

HowieC

I legitimately stopped reading for a while at the point you said Sterling. feck. Ing. Hell. Sterling at the same age was a running joke, ffs. And then to compound how shit of a post it was, you then laid on James! After four decent-good games at that!

All you've done is list subjective points, and made the cardinal sin of assuming that a 21 year old player is not going to improve and develop. I mean, it's not like Kane was only just breaking through at Spurs at his age after struggling at some of his loan clubs, or Sterling couldn't finish himself off let alone a chance at the same age. I've not posted any YouTube links or even spoke about his style of play. I've spoken about what he's achieved in a short space of time, which is a more than adequate comparison to what others around his age have done.

He's also shown at various points each of the things you highlighted as being weaknesses. The fact that they aren't coming through consistently means that it's a case of developing him further to bring about the consistency.
Look, we all want the same thing here, for our players to succeed, and more importantly the team to thrive.

Still, I don't see Rashford possessing the quality to keep from being benched once we have a decent RW, and benched for England as well as there are at least 4 superior attackers
- Kane, Sterling, Sancho and Abraham (yes, even after only a few games). Don't know how we are gonna get him off the wage bill as I can't see big teams being in for him.

But that's just my opinion.

Mike Phelan's Former Tash

In relation to the interview I wonder if most players that Mourinho has managed get to the point of thinking "you never played, what the feck do you know?" Especially when the going gets tough and he's slating them in public etc.

I know Mourinho has largely been successful so you don't have to be a former player to be a successful manager, he's proof of that but I just wonder if this ever comes up on the training pitch.

Shimo

Maybe on the pitch he is showing a bit of selfishness but, it's often something you want your top player to do - take responsibility.

Off the pitch, seems like a model pro/person. Alway read / hear about how much he practices and trains but, also just saw a bit about him where someone pinged him on instagram about a a US friend who beat stage 3 cancer, a bit United fan. That they sorted out money for him to fly/stay in Manchester but, needed tickets for the Brighton game. Rashford had them DM him and said would sort the tickets out, which he did.

SaintMuppet

Future captain for me, IMO. A fantastic interview, and I am really looking forward to his progress during the coming years.
He’s gonna have to improve an awful lot as a player to become captain unless he has those Ole shower photos. I know he is still young but his game intelligence leaves a lot to be desired. The positive from this interview is that he appears to have a brain between his ears which leaves room for optimism.

Gasolin

Except this Rashford would be scoring 10-15 goals in Barcelona, not in Watford. You really underestimate Rashford but some of the coldness he has shown in his goals, like the ones against City, Arsenal or so, should normally grant him attention. He is pretty amazing for his age and we can thank LVG for having had the balls to use him when he was lacking strikers. Seriously. He may have a bad form, but he's a serious talent.

Alabaster Codify7

Except this Rashford would be scoring 10-15 goals in Barcelona, not in Watford. You really underestimate Rashford but some of the coldness he has shown in his goals, like the ones against City, Arsenal or so, should normally grant him attention. He is pretty amazing for his age and we can thank LVG for having had the balls to use him when he was lacking strikers. Seriously. He may have a bad form, but he's a serious talent.

Out of curiosity, where did those Barcelona rumours come from?

Because I don't remember anything substantial whatsoever and they came out around the time his contract was up for renewal. I mean, that's definitely not suspicious, especially because Barcelona usually target hit and run speedsters rather than technically proficient players.

Gasolin

Out of curiosity, where did those Barcelona rumours come from?

Because I don't remember anything substantial whatsoever and they came out around the time his contract was up for renewal. I mean, that's definitely not suspicious, especially because Barcelona usually target hit and run speedsters rather than technically proficient players.
I said Barcelona but it wasn't due to the rumors or whatever, it's just the type of team Rashford would be in if it was not United.
You think Rashford is not technically proficient?!? That's a strange one...

Scotty McT

Ole's faith in Rashford is going to contribute to downfall as United manager. It's not about getting the squad, it's about gutting the squad. Which to be fair Ole has done an admirable job with given the money men's fondness for handing out contracts. That's the one real positive about his reign, along with the quality of signings given the budgetary constraints.

Rashford is never going to be a winger at United long term and we have a superior number 9 already who doesn't close his eyes when he's about to header the ball. But Ole clearly loves him for some reason. I can see the ability, but I've seen it with plenty of young players who never kick on.

HowieC

I said Barcelona but it wasn't due to the rumors or whatever, it's just the type of team Rashford would be in if it was not United.
You think Rashford is not technically proficient?!? That's a strange one...
The main reason he is so-called inconsistent is because of his poor touch and technique. It's readily apparent every week on the pitch. Don't be fooled by attempted fancy moves,
his basics are mediocre.

Eric7C

How Ole deals with Rashford at the club will determine his own future here. Ole was a great finisher and all-round attacking player himself; he knows what it takes. He has to either better coach Rashford and improve him or he has to have the necessary ruthlessness to use him as a bench player because currently Martial, James and (eventually) Greenwood will be better options.

romufc

Chess and football is very much alike. It’s about keeping balance while creating unbalance. And the combinations are endless.
I really don’t care what you buy or not.. As it’s clear you have no idea about the delicates of football.
You do realise a chess board is controlled by one person per team, a football team on the pitch has instructions but the manager cannot control the players actions.
In your theory, every sport is a chess game because most sports are about balance and creating un balance...

Yes, I do not but you seem to be very clever.. I could be a football manager if I am good at chess then?