Bebe | 2010/11 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.

Feed Me

I'm hungry
It's a fecking weird transfer, you have to say that
It's a bolt from the blue, I'll give you that.

But the press have basically engineered a story that he's not good enough based on him not turning out for the ressies.

There are probably a 1001 reasons why he didn't feature... only just signed, first time in a new country, no grasp of the language, young player, nervous, unsettled in his personal life at the moment, etc etc etc.

mattsville

It's utter bollox, creates a story, probably brought on by the fact that Fergie said he never seen him play. But when our chief scout in Portugal and Queiroz insist we have to act on this guy, add to that that madrid, chelsea and benfica to name a few made enquiries, what are you going to listen to, intangible media bollox or professional experts who know the game. Even from the limited clips of him available you can see he has fantastic control of the ball at high speed, as Sir Matt used to say, if the papers are annoyinging you, don't read them...

ralphie88

I'm reserving any judgment on him til I see him play. I did find it odd that Fergie signed him without ever watching him though. Very out of the ordinary.
Spending that amount of money without seeing him is out of the ordinary, that's for sure. Any idea what we actually paid?

fatboy

Apparently around 7mil pds. The exact figure doesn't really matter, but what we know is that it's a fairly substantial sum. And more importantly, he could have been acquired for free just weeks earlier. I was wondering, if we were acting on CQ's recommendation, why didn't we move in earlier to save us a load of money.

Well, if he turns out to be good, no one will be quibbling about the few million. To be honest, we're making a few too many "take a punt" signings recently for my liking. Obertan, Diouf, Bebe, Smalling etc. The cost does add up, and it's only to buy potential. Let's hope at least one or two of them will go on to justify the total cost.

Devil may care

The media are just stirring at this juncture but I am not expecting to see Bebe much, if at all, this season.

Wan

Apparently around 7mil pds. The exact figure doesn't really matter, but what we know is that it's a fairly substantial sum. And more importantly, he could have been acquired for free just weeks earlier. I was wondering, if we were acting on CQ's recommendation, why didn't we move in earlier to save us a load of money.

Well, if he turns out to be good, no one will be quibbling about the few million. To be honest, we're making a few too many "take a punt" signings recently for my liking. Obertan, Diouf, Bebe, Smalling etc. The cost does add up, and it's only to buy potential. Let's hope at least one or two of them will go on to justify the total cost.
He was playing in the third division before that move. And after a few games with his new(previous) club in pre season against better quality teams he became more impressive to scouts etc? We don't need a ready made star right now. Our team is full of them and those that are about to get to that level with a bit of luck.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
Very raw young talent from a foreign 3rd division... would give him another 2 years before judging him.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
I really don't expect to be able to judge him for quite awhile. From the sound of it he seems to be very raw and we'll have to work with what he has to make him what he can be.

But it's bizarre that there are so many stories floating around him. I mean, if there' one transfer that needs some time before being judged it's this one.

MPTutd

He is probably having a lot of problems settling. Most young foreign players (such as Ronaldo and the Da Silva's) bring family members across with them. Bebe presumably can't.

fatboy

He was playing in the third division before that move. And after a few games with his new(previous) club in pre season against better quality teams he became more impressive to scouts etc? We don't need a ready made star right now. Our team is full of them and those that are about to get to that level with a bit of luck.
I always thought scouting involved watching the player against different types of opposition, so that you can get an idea of what level this person might play at. Which is why scouting tends to stretch out over months, sometimes even years. Bebe's never even played an official match against reasonably high-level opposition.

Not saying we always need to buy ready made stars, but this signing strikes me as a bit odd. If what SAF said was true, he's really trusting Quieroz wholeheartedly. That's 7 plus million worth of blind trust, a pure gamble. So like I said, I really hope he turns out alright. But if not, you really have to wonder if the money could have been better spent on someone we were at least a little more sure about.

Hans Moleman

Boss on Bebe: "Fitness wise he's not up to our level, but ability wise he's excellent - a terrific finisher."

Feed Me

I'm hungry
Boss on Bebe: "Fitness wise he's not up to our level, but ability wise he's excellent - a terrific finisher."
There's the reason he didn't play.

It's not surprising that he's not at our level physically given the standard of football he has played previously.

Press. Molehill. Mountain.

gaffs

Was Martin Ferguson involved in the deal?

The last player that Quieroz recommended was Manucho.

Fergie is risking his own reputation here, not to mention £7mil at a time when cash seems to be short. If he turnes out to be a flop, Fergie will be beaten with the Bebe stick for some time to come. People are still slating him for Djemba and Kleberson.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons

Fergie is risking his own reputation here, not to mention £7mil at a time when cash seems to be short. If he turnes out to be a flop, Fergie will be beaten with the Bebe stick for some time to come. People are still slating him for Djemba and Kleberson.
Aye, it's annoying that people just won't fecking shut up about those two whenever a new signing is discussed, isn't it?

dev1l

In the meantime, they stopped slating him for forlan.....

No matter how good a player is, there is always a chance that he fails to settle at a new club.

As for djemba/kleberson, they were bought alongside 2 other promising players - ronaldo and howard. The club lost around 6 - 7 million on the first 2, broke even on howard and made 70 million profit on ronaldo. But certain retards still talk exclusively about djemba, as if he was the only player we signed that year.

More surprising is the fact that some so-called fans recycle this shit all the time

gaffs

Aye, it's annoying that people just won't fecking shut up about those two whenever a new signing is discussed, isn't it?
I think so. Especially Kleberson - he was a top player in the World Cup in 2002and is playing well again for Flamengo. Didnt he get a Brazil call up recently?

Its what makes me think that Bebe must have something about him - i dont think Fergie would make the same mistake twice.

Xander45

Know-It-All Champion May 2009
Daniel Taylor continuing to be a cnut about it on Twitter.
From DTGuardian: Fergie says Bebe wasn't fit enough to play for #MUFC reserves in midweek, but hasn't he played six pre-season matches in Portugal?

Yes, but at a much lower level than at United. It was probably the match and maybe a couple of training sessions a week. If i was dragged from pub football to premier league and had training sessions every day i'd be knackered as well!

Kinky Melinky

To cast judgement on a 20 year old player who signed two weeks ago for a club in a foreign country where he cannot speak the language is absurd and quite frankly lazy journalism.

The daggers are out in the media and they can't wait to knock Bebe.
The media :rolleyes:

How can some people, on a daily basis strive very hard to be nothing more than complete and utter cnuts? It never ceases to amaze me.

Wake up in the morning - "Right.....how can I be an even bigger cnut than yesterday and completely ruin people's day"

Ole's_toe_poke

Ole_Aged_Slow_Poke
Yes, but at a much lower level than at United. It was probably the match and maybe a couple of training sessions a week. If i was dragged from pub football to premier league and had training sessions every day i'd be knackered as well!
He trained with Guimares in the summer which are in the top division in Portugal. Not really a pub football team. Also he played about 5 matches or so which is where our scout saw him play.

Having said that I don't think he is ready for premier league action but expect to see him in the reserves soon.

De Selby

Scottish
Supports
Guangzhou Pharmaceutical F.C.
That's good enough for me. Although probably not good enough for Daniel Taylor who presumably has a doctorate in sports science and is privy to Bebe's fitness levels.

Xander45

Know-It-All Champion May 2009
He trained with Guimares in the summer which are in the top division in Portugal. Not really a pub football team. Also he played about 5 matches or so which is where our scout saw him play.

Having said that I don't think he is ready for premier league action but expect to see him in the reserves soon.
Ah, i didn't realise they were a top division side. I still think the language barrier is a big thing for him at the moment.

Every forward player Fergie signs is a 'terrific finisher'.
"Dong is the next Batistuta"

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
The lack of fitness thing may well be true but whether or not it's got anything to do with him being picked for the reserve derby is neither here nor there. What's irritating about Daniel Taylor's agenda is that he seems absolutely determined to make a massive deal about someone from our reserves not being selected for one reserve game. A game in which an unusual amount of first-team players were accommodated. It's retarded tbh.

Gambit

Desperately wants to be a Muppet
The boss also called the reports disgusting and bitter, before saying about the fitness.

dev1l

I do not expect Bebe to be physically fit for the PL. The fitness levels of the PL are the most probably the highest around, more than anywhere else,so no news there.

Gambit

Desperately wants to be a Muppet
Boss springs to Bebe's defence

Sir Alex Ferguson has dismissed reports that new signing Bebe has failed to impress in his first few weeks as a United player, launching an impassioned defence of the 20-year-old at his pre-match press conference.

The Portuguese's absence from the Reserves' midweek victory over Manchester City prompted a series of reports questioning his impact at United, but Sir Alex insists there are only issues with the player's fitness, not his ability.

"Bebe is in a programme of doing endurance work, because his fitness levels aren’t near the levels we’re at," the manager said. "Other than that he’s done well.

"He’s had a couple of attacks - I thought they were pretty vicious attacks - on why he wasn’t playing in the Reserve game. He was never going to be playing in the Reserve game on Tuesday.

"I think those attacks came from a bit of vengeance from two journalists who are banned from here. They saw an opportunity to have a go at the club and I think it’s disgusting. The boy didn’t deserve that. He’s a young boy trying to make his way in football, they didn’t need to do that. I think it was a real bitter attack.

"Ability-wise, he’s excellent. Terrific finisher, we’ve been very impressed with that, and it’s just the fitness levels he needs to get to, as opposed to our fitness levels."

Sir Alex is comfortable to take his time with the versatile forward, who has enjoyed a meteroric rise to prominence since joining United, and insists there is no reason to hasten his playing involvement.
from today

Status
Not open for further replies.