Beckham & Neymar talk about their careers

TheReligion

Abusive
Answer this honestly. If you asked a whole bunch of people who know nothing about football who David Beckham is how many would know who he was and who he played for? I'd guess pretty much everyone. Same question about Neymar? I'm not so sure.

Look up the definition of legend. Beckham is more of one than Neymar. Absolute fact. Skill level has nothing to do with it.

Gehrman

Phallic connoisseur, unlike shamans
You can find 100 footballers better than what Neymar can do in all time great list. You can count in one hand a better crosser and set pieces than Beckham.
I thinkt that's a very black and white way of looking at things. Neymar has an overall amazing skillset and is a flair player as well which makes him enjoyable to watch. Beckham was a great player, but if I had to choose between Beckham or Neymar, I would choose Neymar. But it's silly to compare them. Beckham was a right midfielder and at times a CM. Neymar is a wide forward. Their roles in the team is completely different. It's like comparing Maradonna with Beckenbauer.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
I thinkt that's a very black and white way of looking at things. Neymar has an overall amazing skillset and is a flair player as well which makes him enjoyable to watch. Beckham was a great player, but if I had to choose between Beckham or Neymar, I would choose Neymar. But it's silly to compare them. Beckham was a right midfielder and at times a CM. Neymar is a wide forward. Their roles in the team is completely different. It's like comparing Maradonna with Beckenbauer.
Sir Alex would never buy a player like Neymar. Just curious, did you ever watch Beckham at his peak, like properly watched him at least a whole season?

Gehrman

Sir Alex would never buy a player like Neymar. Just curious, did you ever watch Beckham at his peak, like properly watched him at least a whole season?
Yes, I did. But like I said, we are comparing a midfielder with a forward. You can't compare them head to head.

Gehrman

I'm pretty sure Fergie would take punt on young Neymar if he had a chance of getting him.

Dorian Gray

Supports
Liverpool
Much better for his country?

Hmmm..... I'm no expert on this one but I'm not convinced. Beckham was a massive player for England, neither have won anything of note for their countries have they?

Beckham was:
Pretty pivotal. When neither have really won anything and both were important players for their countries over a long period, I think it's tricky to say one has been "better", let alone "much better" for his country. Or am I missing something @Dorian Gray :confused:
Well - I feel Neymar has had better performances and a higher impact for Brazil than Beckham for England.

If we talk about quantifying - for instance, the first England player to score at 3 world cups thing - nice-sounding stat but he scored one each in those 3 cups - not really setting the world alight.

In terms of trophies won and individual stats - Neymar has won Confed and Olympics gold while Beckham has won nothing. Even apart from trophies, Neymar has been sensational for Brazil - he is only behind R9 (who he will surely surpass) and Pele in goals scored. Considering, the wealth of talent Brazil always had, that's' pretty impressive I would say.

But yeah, I agree maybe it is not a clear cut case of 'much better'. My Brazil bias might be showing here :)

Gehrman

If Beckham had the looks of Scholes and wasn't married to a spice girl, he would never have been a superstar the way he was. He wouldn't be any less of a footballer, but Beckham's fame is down very much also down to his looks and off the pitch life.

Gehrman

Saying that Fergie would never buy a player like Neymar is like saying he would never buy C.Ronaldo or Ronaldinho. He bought Ronaldo and failed to secure Ronaldinho.

If Beckham had the looks of Scholes and wasn't married to a spice girl, he would never have been a superstar the way he was. He wouldn't be any less of a footballer, but Beckham's fame is down very much also down to his looks and off the pitch life.
That goes for anyone though. If Neymar looked and acted like Scholes....