Beckham & Neymar talk about their careers

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
Not a lot to see here other than a bit of a circle jerk. I guess there’s the language barrier, but still.

fps

Inevitable and rather sad that this has become a comparison of Beckham and Neymar. Obviously you’d pick Neymar first, Beckham had a wonderful set of skills and great attitude but they don’t compare, Neymar is far more able and destructive and in a completely different position is more highly overall rated.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
Neymar became irrelevant when he was 25 y.o. (by moving to PSG).
Beckham still played at R. Madrid until he was 32 y.o. and moved to PSG when he was 38 y.o.

Synco

Lucio's #1 Fan
No, he comes inside on his right foot from the left and acts as a playmaker. He and Di Maria both stay wide then cut inside and look for through passes or play 1-2's, especially with Mbappe.
Alright, cheers. This is pretty much the point I was trying to make about inverted vs classic wing players.

Sayros

Supports
Paris Saint-Germain
Beckham still played at R. Madrid until he was 32 y.o. and moved to PSG when he was 38 y.o.
He sure has had a lot of people talking about him since then for someone so irrelevant.

:rolleyes:

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
Can't rule out I'm missing something, of course. But would you say he interprets his role similar to Beckham in his Utd days?
But I never said they interpret the role similarly. My point was that they play in the same position. I mean, Sane plays the LW completely differently to, say, Hazard or Coman. Still, they all have the same position which is why I argue you can compare the two.

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
I think it's pretty telling that most of the class of 92 were able to condition themselves so well that they all played at the top level into their late 30s. Fergie and Eric Harrison must've drummed into them so much the importance of taking care of your body that they carried it with them, even if they left United. Giggs, Scholes, Beckham and Phil Neville all played until 38, 39, 40 and nearly all of those years were at the very top level. Even if Beckham went to the MLS at 32, he didn't look out of place at Milan or PSG.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
He sure has had a lot of people talking about him since then for someone so irrelevant.

:rolleyes:
People talk about talentless Khardasian too.

I'm not saying Neymar is talentless. He's still a good footballer, with occasional genius. But moving to PSG as 25 y.o. from Barcelona?
People talk about him missing games (at PSG), and even diving antics at WC.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
I think it's pretty telling that most of the class of 92 were able to condition themselves so well that they all played at the top level into their late 30s. Fergie and Eric Harrison must've drummed into them so much the importance of taking care of your body that they carried it with them, even if they left United. Giggs, Scholes, Beckham and Phil Neville all played until 38, 39, 40 and nearly all of those years were at the very top level. Even if Beckham went to the MLS at 32, he didn't look out of place at Milan or PSG.
Hah.. now that's a good observation. Also they're hardworkers too.

Cascarino

Magnum Poopus
Supports
Swansea
I wasn’t going with trophy halls.

Someone listed Neymars medals. Most of them were absolutely worthless.

He’s a one little of note and people are talking as if he’s a legend of football. There are thousands of players above him.

Nike support and some YouTube highlights seem to go a long way these days.
You say you're not going with trophy hauls but your argument is that the majority of the trophies he's won are worthless and that he's won little of note. The truth is it's all going to be subjective anyway, what defines being classed as a legend will differ from person to person. Neymar isn't a legend in my eyes but then to me neither is Beckham (though I do respect him). I'm not going to argue with other people though and claim that because he isn't a legend to me it means that he can't be a legend to you.

Synco

Lucio's #1 Fan
But I never said they interpret the role similarly. My point was that they play in the same position. I mean, Sane plays the LW completely differently to, say, Hazard or Coman. Still, they all have the same position which is why I argue you can compare the two.
Okay, maybe I misunderstood. And I also agree that player typization is often rather generalizing in light of individual styles.

But I still think is that position itself is a bit misleading here, as movement and function are so different. (Leading foot's side, in-game habits, and skillset being some of the main factors.)

Sayros

Supports
Paris Saint-Germain
People talk about talentless Khardasian too.

I'm not saying Neymar is talentless. He's still a good footballer, with occasional genius. But moving to PSG as 25 y.o. from Barcelona?
People talk about him missing games (at PSG), and even diving antics at WC.
And yet, if he manages to actually stay fit and win a CL with PSG, it will be a bigger accomplishment than winning it for Real Madrid or Barcelona, and he will get the credit he would be often robbed off playing in Messi's team.
He's obviously not irrelevant because people keep talking or posting about him even when he's out injured.

Also, for what it's worth, I'm done bashing the Kardashians, Kim has used her relationship with the President of the United States to release 18 inmates that were wrongly convicted with more to come. Not bad for a girl who got famous off a sex tape.

See how you emphasised Neymar only had 4 European league titles whereas Beckham has 8? That needs to be contextualised. Neymar has only been in Europe for 7 years. Is this really hard to grasp?
Behave man, we’re comparing Neymar’s CV so far with Beckham’s. Not Neymar’s possible CV in 3 years man.

So far Becks has more major honours, simples, I did a table for you and everything yet you keep calling it fiction.

Major league titles 8 v 4
Champions League 1 v 1
Copa L 0 v 1
Tin pot state titles 3 v 3

Give me your side by side stats of major honours won then if it’s fiction. I mean, only one of us is actually talking facts here, you’re saying Neymar has a better CV right now which is quite frankly nonsense, get out man.
I’ll say it again, right now Becks CV shits on Neymar. Will it still in 4 years? Not if Neymar moves back to Spain I’d guess.

I don't call Neymar a midfielder, I'm saying that his position, however you want to call it, is comparable with Beckham's on the right hand side. Thing is, if Beckham were to play in a modern system, his position would be the righthand equvilant of Neymar's position.
So yeah, defo never watched Becks if you think anyone would play him in a front 3 :lol:

He’d be one of 3 CM’s in a 4-3-3.

Sayros

Supports
Paris Saint-Germain
I don't understand what's the point of listing their honors? You usually do that to compare players of similar talent and ability. It's clear cut that Neymar is a far superior player to Beckham overall.

I don't understand what's the point of listing their honors? You usually do that to compare players of similar talent and ability. It's clear cut that Neymar is a far superior player to Beckham overall.
Tsu said Neymar’s honours CV shits on Becks, a poster made a list showing it doesn’t, Tsu doubled down, ignored the list and continued telling anyone to “behave” because it does.

It doesn’t, and I think every poster in here admits Neymar is more talented so.

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
So yeah, defo never watched Becks if you think anyone would play him in a front 3 :lol:

So you'd play him in a position where you need to be very agile, have excellent close control and need to excel in tight spaces and, maybe most importantly, Beck's best skill - his crossing - is among the least important abilities to have. I'd rather play him as a RB similarly to Arnold or Marcelo rather than that.

Fridge chutney

Lads, why is it that I'm the only one that brought up the fact that Neymar likes touching his mom's arse?

:lol: Neymar is a complete and utter insufferable twat, but at least he provides comic relief for us too! What a strange, disturbed man.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Roy Keane is only good at running like maniac, Beckham is only good at crossing. Some of the myths that should have died long back.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
Other than crossing, Beckham was deadly on freekick too. One of the GOAT on that, imho.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
:lol: Neymar is a complete and utter insufferable twat, but at least he provides comic relief for us too! What a strange, disturbed man.
:lol: That is very disturbing. But maybe we're just so old school, and need to be more open minded.

So you'd play him in a position where you need to be very agile, have excellent close control and need to excel in tight spaces and, maybe most importantly, Beck's best skill - his crossing - is among the least important abilities to have. I'd rather play him as a RB similarly to Arnold or Marcelo rather than that.
Becks had a lovely touch and incredible passing, was also nice in tight spaces, what David Beckham did you watch?
Real Madrid played him CM fairly often. I don’t ever remember anyone playing him in a front three cause it didn't happen.

This is a shit debate so it’s ending here, anyone, absolutely anyone who saw Becks career knows he was a right midfielder. Everyone knows Neymar is a forward. Kin hell man.

Prometheus

Supports
Chelsea
Everytime I've seen him he's been rolling about at minimal contact and diving like a bellend.
Look at what happens when he tries to stay up

He exaggerates sometimes, but skilful players are often protecting themselves by going down.

I can't say they are wrong to do this because often the ref does nothing if you don't go down.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
PSG are literally playing a flat 4-4-2 now and he's playing left wing - and probably been in the best form of his career ( atleast In PSG ) since the switch.
Heh, it's more of a flat 2-4-4 or 3-3-4 or 3-2-3-2 honestly. Over 60%+ possession per game and all...

This

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Heh, it's more of a flat 2-4-4 or 3-3-4 or 3-2-3-2 honestly. Over 60%+ possession per game and all...
They played the same formation again against Lyon tonight. Draxler took the LM position but did nowhere near as well as Neymar.
They'll play the same way against Dortmund i'm sure also.

Eddy_JukeZ

I mean, tell that to De Bruyne.

You can easily find a position for Beckham in a 3 man midfield. Just get him on the right channel more often like De Bruyne does for City.

meamth

Beckham looks like he’s had a few to many Botox injections and what’s up with Neymar’s hair?
I'm so familiar with botox faces, that is not one of em'.

Becks is just...genuinely handsome. Feck me what a lucky man.

Deery

Dreary
I'm so familiar with botox faces, that is not one of em'.

Becks is just...genuinely handsome. Feck me what a lucky man.
You think not looks very plasticky maybe he’s had work done..

Infordin

Supports
Barcelona
Any mug can score goals in the Copa America and qualifiers. What's your point? He's not a legend. He's killing his career off in France and can't stay fit.
Ronaldo Luis, Ronaldinho, Rivaldo, Romario, Kaka, Zico, Pele, etc...

Any mug can score goals in the Copa America and qualifiers? You are free to believe whatever you want, but it takes a truly special and unique talent to score as many goals as Neymar.

Beckham was an absolute boss of the game.
He was a very good player, but Neymar is just plain better

His close control in tight spaces is vastly superior
He’s infinitely more agile and faster
He’s a much better goalscorer

Beckham has a nice cross on him and was great on set pieces, but overall doesn’t even touch Neymar’s genius as a player.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout

Exactly. I mean Neymar is better player not much to argue there but it's so obvious that few haven't watched Beckham at all and are going by few popular myths.

He was superb passer of the ball both short and long, very good shooting from distance, fantastic engine and in GOAT tier when it comes to crossing the ball. He would be awesome as part of midfield 3 drifting to right side like KdB.

VanKenny

What a ridiculous thread. Neymar is an absolute legend of the game and youd pick Neymar over Beckham in every single scenario when building a team from scratch, anyone picking Beckham would be called a mad man.

Only reason Neymar is doubted by some people on this forum in particular is because he has been playing under the shadow of two of the greatest players of all time, had CR7 and Messi not existed he would have probably won a few balon de ors while being the main man at either Barca or Madrid.

Beckham was a good player but come on guys dont be silly now. If Beckham had been playing on this age he wouldnt get close to being called a top 10 player in the world.

Fridge chutney

If Beckham had been playing on this age he wouldnt get close to being called a top 10 player in the world.
This is just daft hyperbole.

When he came second in the Ballon D'or voting in 1999 players in the mix were: Rivaldo, Raul, Shevchenko, Batistuta, Crespo, Ronaldo, Zidane, Figo, etc. Hardly a terrible lack of talent in the world then.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Any mug can score goals in the Copa America and qualifiers. What's your point? He's not a legend. He's killing his career off in France and can't stay fit.

Beckham was an absolute boss of the game.
:lol: it’s definitely harder to score in the qualifiers in South America than it is in Europe. There don’t have San Marino’s over there.

Gehrman

Phallic connoisseur, unlike shamans
Neymar is far better footballer than Beckham ever was. No slight on Beckham. But much different footballers as well.

Dorian Gray

Supports
Liverpool
Neymar is a far far better footballer than Beckham. No question about it. Anyone who disagrees is trolling.
However, legend status doesn't come from capability alone. There are multiple factors - longevity at the peak, impact at the club/country, trophies, etc. - and frankly creating an exhaustive list of metrics if a bit pointless because considering someone a legend is by definition a subjective call.

My opinion:
1. Neymar is much more skillful and overall the better footballer.
2. Beckham had a better club career - I don't think Neymar has impacted any club like Beckham did for United
3. Neymar has had a much better career for the country - he has been pivotal to the Brazilian team.

Reddevil1978

The whole world watched Beckham play at Utd and Madrid.

The whole world stopped watching Neymar as soon as he went to P$G.

3. Neymar has had a much better career for the country - he has been pivotal to the Brazilian team.
Much better for his country?

Hmmm..... I'm no expert on this one but I'm not convinced. Beckham was a massive player for England, neither have won anything of note for their countries have they?

Beckham was:
Pretty pivotal. When neither have really won anything and both were important players for their countries over a long period, I think it's tricky to say one has been "better", let alone "much better" for his country. Or am I missing something @Dorian Gray :confused: