Being David Moyes

TheNewEra

Knows Kroos' mentality
Sarcasm?

Maybe the pressure of getting one chance every blue moon is getting to him. Do you not watch matches? Do you not see the pathetic service he's getting? IMO he's done tremendously well to have the amount of goals he has in the league.

The guy who was scoring for fun in the last two years didn't just turn to shit. Some of you have ridiculously short memories.

And if we were to concede that RVP has somehow turned to shit, what does that make Moyes for consistently picking him to start? What does it make him when he refuses to sub him out because he's scared of what the press/fans would say?
I watch every game, about 5 times at Old Trafford when I can afford to go ( per season)

Castia

I feel no sympathy what so ever. Today was a complete joke, It's mind blowing how he sat on the sidelines for 75 minutes watching that before he made a change. He didn't even try and change the shape of the team at HT ffs.

It was so obvious this was going to happen, how the hell did he get the job in the first place.

TheNewEra

Knows Kroos' mentality
Great. Well, what do you think of the questions I asked then?
I think the lack of ball training with players makes them perform like strangers, it's like making relay runners practice without a baton.

FlawlessThaw

most 'know it all' poster
Not sure why we should feel sympathy for a manager whose players don't want to play for him?

Red Stone

I think the lack of ball training with players makes them perform like strangers, it's like making relay runners practice without a baton.
If passing the baton required any skill other than grabbing a short cylindrical object. Any old wanker can do it.

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
Not sure why we should feel sympathy for a manager whose players don't want to play for him?
We don't know the true extent of the story (we will probably never know)

It could have been the players giving him a proper chance, it could have been the player never give him a proper chance from the start. But like it or hate it, at the end of the day, a leader must not expect support and loyalty as a given, he has to earn it, as in every wake in life.

Even mods here have to earn their respect before being appointed.

The players are just humans with humans emotions, they are "Normal" to questions the man's ability (It may not be ethical and professional, but as a human being it is normal to have snidering doubt over someone new), and instead of coming with fresh ideas, and motivation, he come here, sacked our whole first team squad, and hasn't got something solid to show the player that he knows what he's doing.

Again, the sacking the first team coaches has been done to death, but if you have the guts to shake the status quo, you should have the ability to perform, or else you'll look like a mug doing so. Moyes is the manager, team plays well he'll get all the praise, and rightly fair if he got all the slagging if we're not playing well.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
I cannot feel sorry for a guy who despite all his troubles at work, still earns a massive amount of money and lives a comfortable life.
I don't feel sorry for him in the slightest. I feel angry at him. He's pathetic.

He came in to the job with completely the wrong attitude and has failed spectacularly.
I agree with this 100%.

Swaters16

I'm pretty sure he was quoted after the match saying (roughly) the 'job is bigger than I expected.'

What did you expect, David? Please. Please. Just leave.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Sympathy? No way. He's paid brilliantly and has gotten his shot at the biggest job in football. When he's sacked by united, he'll still have a comfortable life doing what he loves. On the other hand, I don't have any dislike for him personally either.

Rednotdead

Sympathy? No way. He's paid brilliantly and has gotten his shot at the biggest job in football. When he's sacked by united, he'll still have a comfortable life doing what he loves. On the other hand, I don't have any dislike for him personally either.
In these circumstances how much you're paid is completely irrelevant. Do you think he goes home after every game, sits down in his favourite chair with a glass of wine and thinks to himself "we were crap today but hey ho, I'm getting well paid for this"? Of course not. You only need to look at the guy's face to see the pressure he's under. His team is failing at every turn and his best players are performing to Sunday League level and giving away idiotic penalties. He is being seen to fail in the most public fashion and is being laughed at by the whole world.

But hey ho, he's well paid so not deserving of any sympathy.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
Moyes tried to make a step up (joining a big club) and he failed. I dont blame him from taking the job. However there's nothing to feel sorry about. There are a substantial number of mid table club type of managers who had failed at the highest level. Hodgson (Inter), Grant (Chelsea) and DelNeri (Juventus) are prime examples.

Hopefully one day he will be given a second chance elsewhere.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
In these circumstances how much you're paid is completely irrelevant. Do you think he goes home after every game, sits down in his favourite chair with a glass of wine and thinks to himself "we were crap today but hey ho, I'm getting well paid for this"? Of course not. You only need to look at the guy's face to see the pressure he's under. His team is failing at every turn and his best players are performing to Sunday League level and giving away idiotic penalties. He is being seen to fail in the most public fashion and is being laughed at by the whole world.

But hey ho, he's well paid so not deserving of any sympathy.
I'm not being 100% serious how do you know he doesn't ?

Rednotdead

Moyes tried to make a step up (joining a big club) and he failed. I dont blame him from taking the job. However there's nothing to feel sorry about. There are a substantial number of mid table club type of managers who had failed at the highest level. Hodgson (Inter), Grant (Chelsea) and DelNeri (Juventus) are prime examples.

Hodgson was a "failure" at Inter? Moratti didn't think so : "Speaking about Hodgson's time at Inter, club president Massimo Moratti said: "Roy Hodgson was an important person in the development of Inter Milan to the point we have reached today. He saved us at the right time. When he came we were in trouble and things appeared dark. He didn’t panic, he was calm and made us calm. Disaster was averted at the most important time. Everyone at Inter will remember him for that and his contribution. He is considered by us all as an important person in our history. He left an endowment to this club that’s important in our history"

Plugsy

We've a front four of Rooney, Januzaj, Mata, RVP. I know this is a fact repeated a few times recently but just let that sink in for a moment and then consider that our primary (often to the point of exclusivity) outlet of attack is crosses and wide play. Really. It'd sound like a joke to anyone who wasn't aware it was actually true. This is why I don't feel sorry for him at all.

Amir

Sarcasm?

Maybe the pressure of getting one chance every blue moon is getting to him. Do you not watch matches? Do you not see the pathetic service he's getting? IMO he's done tremendously well to have the amount of goals he has in the league.

The guy who was scoring for fun in the last two years didn't just turn to shit. Some of you have ridiculously short memories.

And if we were to concede that RVP has somehow turned to shit, what does that make Moyes for consistently picking him to start? What does it make him when he refuses to sub him out because he's scared of what the press/fans would say?
One moment in the second half summer it up for me. There was a ball lofted towards the box. Van Persie was offside anyway but didn't know it when he volleyed the ball. Last season he would have just blasted it, probably on target. But it almost seemed like he was afraid to hit it and ended up shooting meekly wide. He's obviously lost confidence and when you're barely involved in the game and get very few chances, it's no wonder. It would be the death of any scorer.

Walrus

Oppressed White Male
There are so many issues I don't know where to start.

The problem for me though (or at least the one I want to talk about here) is that he was the reasons Moyes were appointed in the first place, were ridiculous.

Moyes was essentially appointed on SAFs recommendation (which is in itself a stupid situation for the club to put itself in) - because he is a very similar character and similar person to SAF.

Think about the above, we replaced SAF, not with an outstanding manager in their own right, but basically the closest thing to SAF that we could find.
When Roy Keane left, or any other great player, did we go out and try to buy another Roy Keans? No. Because it would be impossible. People are unique and we quite rightly looked to simply buy in great players in their own rights, with different strengths and weaknesses to the previous ones.
Why we did not apply this logic to appointing a manager is baffling beyond belief.

SAFSs success was practically self fulfilling by the end. His aura had become so strong that for us to fail was simply unthinkable. I genuinely think if a fresh faced SAF came down from Scotland to take over the club today, without the legacy, reputation and fear, he would be suffering the same fate that Moyes is.
Fergies task when he took over was to build a team and an empire. He was perfectly suited to the task. The job Moyes has, and the tasks he faces, are completely different. The empire is already built, success is already achieved, the criteria are totally different and frankly it called for a completely different person.

For the reasons above, I really feel we should have appointed a Mourinho type character. Someone who would not feel the pressure, would not crack, would show no fear and would deal with the egos in the dressing room, and command the respect of everyone at the club. If he left after 2 years then so be it, the man replacing Mourinho would have a much easier task than replacing SAF.

devilish

Hodgson was a "failure" at Inter? Moratti didn't think so : "Speaking about Hodgson's time at Inter, club president Massimo Moratti said: "Roy Hodgson was an important person in the development of Inter Milan to the point we have reached today. He saved us at the right time. When he came we were in trouble and things appeared dark. He didn’t panic, he was calm and made us calm. Disaster was averted at the most important time. Everyone at Inter will remember him for that and his contribution. He is considered by us all as an important person in our history. He left an endowment to this club that’s important in our history"
Moratti always sees his friends with puppy eyes. That also explains while an idiot like branca has reached high places at inter

Walrus

Oppressed White Male
Moyes is going to buy a load of WWJD bracelets for the team - What Would Jagielka Do?

Nem 7

He's a pathetic loser with no history of being able to build a winning team. Hired based on the fact he is from the same city as Ferguson.

Revan

Assumptionman
What a load of bollocks. Sorry, but I couldn't give a rats arse if little Davey was sleeping in his car - bless the woe-stricken professional footballer - and climbed to the top of the mountain.

Players have let him down? His moronity has let them down. He has taken a group of winners and week after week, whether he's belittled them in the press or instructed them to play in a way we all know isn't working, stifled them, let them down and overseen a media narrative which has led to this very questioning from here, there and everywhere. Well I'm not having it.

When you're questioning the attitude of Javier frickin' Hernandez then you need to take a long, hard look at the reality, not some self-indulgent, player-bashing alternative universe whereby you pretend that these players just simply don't care.

Our players weren't "outfought" today. No, they were comprehensively taken apart by a better football team, one that is confident, one that plays like a unit, and one that plays that very way because Brendan Rodgers and his staff have had the bollocks, imagination and talent to go in there and make it happen. Jordan Henderson was shite not so long ago. A laughing stock. What's changed? Did his attitude change, was he "shaming" himself in the you say that our champions have done? Or, more realistically, has his manager built up his confidence and created a team in which the lad can flourish? Hm.

Thankfully, most other supporters are now beginning to see what's really going on. The personal attacks on our players are not as common because people are realising there is systematic failures in place, failures that would render Leo Messi a parody of himself, just like it has with practically every top player in our current squad.

David Moyes was presented an incredible opportunity. He's met that with fear, naivety, stubbornness and actually managed to take United to depths we thought were unthinkable. The players make mistakes, the players are a part of this, but the Moyes sob story presented above is just not the case whatsoever. This is his fault, his responsibility and his repeated pursuit of utter stupidity, whether it be interviews, team selections or substitutions, is the reason we are where we are. Moyes is privately shocked? Yeah, and so are the players.
Terrific post and exactly how I feel. No sympathy at all for him, this shit is all because of him. In fact, with each day passing, I regret having criticized the likes of Cleverley or Rio (not that they were any better than I said) because this situation is much more simple than players not being good enough or not giving it all. It is players managed by a mediocre manager and coached by shitty coaches.

For me, players should have a blank sheet for this year, it isn't their fault that the club went mad on choosing Moyes.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan

Sound and fair. Very likable and decent man, sadly in the wrong job and at the wrong time. I still think it's worth holding out til the end of season and then making an unemotional decision.

devilish

Moyes is going to buy a load of WWJD bracelets for the team - What Would Jagielka Do?
In 30 yrs time that question will be highlighted as the major catalyst behind united dominance, world peace and the cure fir Aids

Jinn

All great managers have the bottle to make tough decisions. I'm afraid Moyes isn't one of them.

He should have put a stop to the players giving interviews.
Fined those who have used social media to voice their opinions, even the positive opinions.
Drop players he feels are not performing for him and demanded more from them...should have torn them new arseholes in the dressing room at half-time.
Make more positive substitutions, even if it has to be in the first 10 minutes of the match when he feels things are not going according to plan.
Dropped players like Evra, Raphael when things were not going well, especially at the beginning of the season.

Drawn a line in the sand and said "I dare you to cross it".

SAF, Mourinho, even Sam feckin Allardyce would have done some of those things....Moyes just doesn't have the bottle for it.

No leadership qualities as far as i can see.