Belgium - 2020 Euro thread

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
Hmm, wasn't too impressed but they're through and will gain confidence from that.

acnumber9

Not scoring doesn’t make you a bad player. He had a very good game against Brazil did he not?
When you’re a striker it kind of does. I didn’t know it only took one good game either.

ArjenIsM3

Same. Probably doesn’t help that a lot of their players are unlikeable from a United point of view. And I’ve never really understood why they’re considered number one (not that a ranking really matters).

I thought Lukaku had some good moments holding the ball up in the second half, but most of the runs just fizzled out.
Same. Their players are unlikeable indeed and the Belgians I've come across always seem to be very arrogant especially towards us Dutchmen. Never understood why as there's hardly any rivalry there

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Why are they so highly rated? They did well to get past Portugal, but that was some poor quality game.
They always score lot of goals isn't it, they are good team.

OoopsMisclick

Very poor game of Belgium.
We won't win it and partly the tactics are to blame.
We don't play to our strengths and we were not well organized defensively. (The backline was great though)

Midfield two of Witsel and Tielemans look good on paper but you need keep your positions.
The space before the defense was (too) big

Superunknown

Very poor game of Belgium.
We won't win it and partly the tactics are to blame.
We don't play to our strengths and we were not well organized defensively. (The backline was great though)

Midfield two of Witsel and Tielemans look good on paper but you need keep your positions.
The space before the defense was (too) big
I don't rate Witsel at all. Tielemans is a good player and a better team player, imo. Witsel has never really impressed me whenever I've seen him play.

Botim

Supports
Royal Antwerp FC
That was our worst game in a long while.

Lukaku, Tielemans were shit. Hazard tried really hard, but was mostly ineffective. KDB not great either.

Our defense of pensioners was pretty solid, surprisingly.

OoopsMisclick

That was our worst game in a long while.

Lukaku, Tielemans were shit. Hazard tried really hard, but was mostly ineffective. KDB not great either.

Our defense of pensioners was pretty solid, surprisingly.
Personally, I really got annoyed with Mertens.
First touch was shit, passes were shit, his defensive work was shit and don't get me started about the counter attacks

Lukaku had a decent game, taking into account he was all alone up top and was gassed after 65mins.
He is great for international games (I compare him to a bison who just buffels through defenses).

Wonder Pigeon

'Shelbourne FC Supporter'
Supports
Shelbourne
It's unreal how many United fans are desperately looking for any sign that Lukaku is a bad player, when it should be pretty clear by now to anyone with eyes in their heads that he's a brilliant striker who, for whatever reasons, didn't quite fit at United.

Anyway, Belgium really not looking like a side with any real chance of winning, especially now with questions marks over both Hazard and KdB. Wouldn't put money on them to win their next game.
His latest unforgivable crime is, uh, pointing apparently.

Wolf1992

Supports
No team in particular.
Such a bland side. Fed up of hearing about this golden generation that have been consistently shit watching.
2018 Belgium played much better, but sure you don't care cause they didn't win the WC.

Also Portugal playing that shit won Euro 2016.

Zen86

2018 Belgium played much better, but sure you don't care cause they didn't win the WC.

Also Portugal playing that shit won Euro 2016.
They’ve always been quite underwhelming in my opinion. And yes you’re correct they didn’t win the WC.

SCP

Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
I don’t know if it’s popular to say this on a United Forum, but Lukaku actually is a top player. And Conte did a great job with him over the last 2 seasons. And he seems to be a very decent human being. I am ready to receive hate for stating this opinion.

Wolf1992

Supports
No team in particular.
They’ve always been quite underwhelming in my opinion. And yes you’re correct they didn’t win the WC.
They are OK, they are not considered a big nation unlike France,Netherlands, Germany, Italy,etc
They knocked-out Brazil in 2018, probably the hardest thing to do at World Cups.

They have been better than England in the last 8-10 years.

mariachi-19

I may be the devil, but i'm not a monster
I don’t know if it’s popular to say this on a United Forum, but Lukaku actually is a top player. And Conte did a great job with him over the last 2 seasons. And he seems to be a very decent human being. I am ready to receive hate for stating this opinion.
Watch him dissapear at the pointy end when he actually plays anybody with a solid defence...

Can I go first?

clearly Conte has got more out of him. He got him to lose weight and get fit. I don’t for a second believe Lukaku’s medical condition excuse. so better player. Yes of course. Top class, I don’t think so.

That leads me to the second point, a decent human being? Obviously subjective… I’ve no ide whether he gives to charity or feeds the homeless at Christmas - but from what we do see, he comes across as an entitled prick, who is only interested in himself, and is happy to throw his teammates under the bus and shit on previous clubs due to his wafer thin skin and fragile ego.

good player, not top class, comes across as a total dick. That’s my summary.

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
Can I go first?

clearly Conte has got more out of him. He got him to lose weight and get fit. I don’t for a second believe Lukaku’s medical condition excuse. so better player. Yes of course. Top class, I don’t think so.

That leads me to the second point, a decent human being? Obviously subjective… I’ve no ide whether he gives to charity or feeds the homeless at Christmas - but from what we do see, he comes across as an entitled prick, who is only interested in himself, and is happy to throw his teammates under the bus and shit on previous clubs due to his wafer thin skin and fragile ego.

I’d second that summary

SCP

Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
Can I go first?

I don’t know if we have Belgian posters here, but correct me if I am wrong. Has any of you guys seen any sign of Lukaku being an arrogant or selfish prick? Anyway some of your points are valid regarding him at United. But couldn’t Ole had done the same type of job as Conte did with him. Serious question.

Hammondo

I don’t know if we have Belgian posters here, but correct me if I am wrong. Has any of you guys seen any sign of Lukaku being an arrogant or selfish prick? Anyway some of your points are valid regarding him at United. But couldn’t Ole had done the same type of job as Conte did with him. Serious question.
I think because he's so limited he has to take a simpler route 1 option which might seem selfish but he's not.

SCP

Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
I think because he's so limited he has to take a simpler route 1 option which might seem selfish but he's not.
Ok, respecting all the opinions here, I just think some posters are radical regarding Lukaku. But I respect that.

Hammondo

Ok, respecting all the opinions here, I just think some posters are radical regarding Lukaku. But I respect that.
By his nature he's going to be someone that splits opinion.

Superunknown

From speaking to various Belgians, he isn't rated as highly when compared to other "elite" strikers in other countries, such as Kane for England, and he does have his flaws and frustrations. But, ultimately, many accept that there isn't really anyone better at doing what he does, and he often "does the job" and comes up with the goals. The general consensus is that he messes up a lot of simple things (playing the right pass at crucial times, missing simple chances, messing up on first touches), but quite often does some of the "harder" stuff really well. (holding onto the ball with his back to goal, being able to drive the team forward, keeping hold of the ball out wide before working it back to the centre). He's going to split opinion. When he's on form, he's fantastic...but when he's bad, he's really, really bad. Just one of those types of players.

I don't personally think that he's selfish or modest. He's clearly a talented guy that is somewhere between being "just a good" player and "elite". He's between there. You can't argue with his record though, he definitely enjoys scoring goals. But, you always get the feeling that he could get more.

Fair play to him for doing it in England and then going to Inter and doing it there, too. 64 goals in 95 games for Inter is really, really good, no matter how people want to look at it. If you take away the player for a moment and just look at the stats, they're up there with the best strikers. Stats have become completely tainted since Ronaldo has come along and pushed the numbers into the stratosphere. We're talking super-elite with his numbers. In any other generation, we'd look at Lukaku's numbers and say that he is a top striker.

SCP

Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
From speaking to various Belgians, he isn't rated as highly when compared to other "elite" strikers in other countries, such as Kane for England, and he does have his flaws and frustrations. But, ultimately, many accept that there isn't really anyone better at doing what he does, and he often "does the job" and comes up with the goals. The general consensus is that he messes up a lot of simple things (playing the right pass at crucial times, missing simple chances, messing up on first touches), but quite often does some of the "harder" stuff really well. (holding onto the ball with his back to goal, being able to drive the team forward, keeping hold of the ball out wide before working it back to the centre). He's going to split opinion. When he's on form, he's fantastic...but when he's bad, he's really, really bad. Just one of those types of players.

I don't personally think that he's selfish or modest. He's clearly a talented guy that is somewhere between being "just a good" player and "elite". He's between there. You can't argue with his record though, he definitely enjoys scoring goals. But, you always get the feeling that he could get more.

Fair play to him for doing it in England and then going to Inter and doing it there, too. 64 goals in 95 games for Inter is really, really good, no matter how people want to look at it. If you take away the player for a moment and just look at the stats, they're up there with the best strikers. Stats have become completely tainted since Ronaldo has come along and pushed the numbers into the stratosphere. We're talking super-elite with his numbers. In any other generation, we'd look at Lukaku's numbers and say that he is a top striker.
Think you made a fair analysis on him.

El-Manos

They were superb against Brazil and were very unlucky against France in 2018. What’s the attitude about ? They just beat a strong Portugal side, poor game or not. They’ve been unbeaten in God knows how many games. They deserve some credit. It’s not like any of the other teams in the Euros are playing amazing football. France, Germany. Italy have all shown their weaknesses in this tournament; why aren’t they getting abuse?

Last edited:

footballistic orgasm

Supports
No team in particular
I guess they learnt a lesson from their defeat against France in 2018. They've always tried to play offensive football often having more possession than their opponents and often score a lot, but this tournament, they've decided that they won't play that type of football but funny enough, this type of football might take them all the way finally.

I think they'll beat Italy if KDB is available, their performance depends a lot on him.

Cloud7

Skinny Hazard is good, but if Fat Hazard and KDB aren’t fit I feel like this is as far as they go.

GifLord

Better at GIFs than posts
They were superb against Brazil and were very unlucky against France in 2018. What’s the attitude about ? They just beat a strong Portugal side, poor game or not. They’ve been unbeaten in God knows how many games. They deserve some credit. It’s not like any of the other teams in the Euros are playing amazing football. France, Germany. Italy have all shown their weaknesses in this tournament; why aren’t they getting abuse?
Were they though? Brazil hit the post in the early stages of the game and then they go and score an own goal.

They fluked the match vs Japan aswell

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Grinded through but I think Italy will be too good on the ball for them. Portugal was too cautious for too long today. Belgiums been tested twice this tournament (Portugal and Denmark) I'd say, and played really poorly in both but got 2 wins. Italy will set up to dominate and attack and that'll be hard for them to contain IMO. Especially with Hazard and De Bruyne having questionable fitness.

Wolf1992

Supports
No team in particular.
Because many people worship Cristiano, and he is part of the team that just got eliminated by Belgium.

I love how they forgot how shit Portugal played against France in Euro 2016 final, and somehow won the match, and got away with France dominating the match and hitting the post in the last minute.

Now they are shitting on Belgium for the same thing.

Glad Belgium knocked Portugal out, their luck needed to end someday.This was the day.

he had no respect for United. His fitness and attitude were an absolute joke. One of OGS great skills is managing players and getting the best out of them. But some players are too far gone.

I don’t believe for a minute that Lukaku wanted to leave United after his second game, that’s more of his lies to try and paint himself in a good light - but by the end he had no motivation, couldn’t even be bothered to keep a modicum of fitness as a professional athlete. He had given up.

he needed to move, and so did we.

we are a far better team without him, and he’s a better player having moved on, and got his finger out of his arse. We got a decent fee from him.

everyone is happy.

RobinLFC

Cries when Liverpool doesn't get praised
Supports
Liverpool
I understand that last night probably wasn't the most aesthetically pleasing game for a neutral but still can't get on board with the Belgium bashing I've seen in some threads. Weird to see some people think we stand no chance against Italy, who themselves struggled to break down a side that's worse than the one we faced yesterday.

We contained Portugal without much trouble before the goal and defended our lead without many issues as well in the second half. Portugal had the ball on the post and the Dias header but we could've put the game to bed as well if we had been a bit more clinical in our counter attacks. Our supposedly weakest point with our defense yesterday was surprisingly our strongest one, Vermaelen was an animal and Portugal's richness in attack didn't do much at all. We probably have the most trustworthy GK in the tournament as well with Courtois.

If KDB and Hazard are fit to play we will cause Italy a lot of problems. Their midfield will likely dominate and dictate the tempo of the game but we can hit them on the counter and I think they'll struggle to find goals - Insigne hasn't had his scoring boots on and I'm not convinced by Immobile either.

El-Manos

I understand that last night probably wasn't the most aesthetically pleasing game for a neutral but still can't get on board with the Belgium bashing I've seen in some threads. Weird to see some people think we stand no chance against Italy, who themselves struggled to break down a side that's worse than the one we faced yesterday.

We contained Portugal without much trouble before the goal and defended our lead without many issues as well in the second half. Portugal had the ball on the post and the Dias header but we could've put the game to bed as well if we had been a bit more clinical in our counter attacks. Our supposedly weakest point with our defense yesterday was surprisingly our strongest one, Vermaelen was an animal and Portugal's richness in attack didn't do much at all. We probably have the most trustworthy GK in the tournament as well with Courtois.

If KDB and Hazard are fit to play we will cause Italy a lot of problems. Their midfield will likely dominate and dictate the tempo of the game but we can hit them on the counter and I think they'll struggle to find goals - Insigne hasn't had his scoring boots on and I'm not convinced by Immobile either.
Fully agree. Italy haven’t been tested yet and they struggled against Austria. If KDB & Hazard are fit, they have a very good chance.

Zen86

I don’t think I’ve ever been particularly impressed by them to be honest, certainly not in relation to the amount of talent they have throughout the team. Every time I see a fixture of theirs coming up I get fooled into thinking it’ll be a good watch.. it never is.

Ainu

Yeah it feels harsh. A knockout game against this Portugal side was always going to be a struggle, especially when they start fouling and the ref lets them get away with it. It was evenly matched in the first half, the loss of De Bruyne clearly had a big impact on the game. It didn't help that Martinez brought on Mertens instead who has been appalling in every single game and was once again totally invisible; we effectively were a man down in the second half. If we lose De Bruyne, we're in big trouble. If we lose both De Bruyne and Hazard, that's pretty much tournament over. In any case, we absolutely can't afford to put passengers like Mertens on the pitch.

RobinLFC

Cries when Liverpool doesn't get praised
Supports
Liverpool
Yeah it feels harsh. A knockout game against this Portugal side was always going to be a struggle, especially when they start fouling and the ref lets them get away with it. It was evenly matched in the first half, the loss of De Bruyne clearly had a big impact on the game. It didn't help that Martinez brought on Mertens instead who has been appalling in every single game and was once again totally invisible; we effectively were a man down in the second half. If we lose De Bruyne, we're in big trouble. If we lose both De Bruyne and Hazard, that's pretty much tournament over. In any case, we absolutely can't afford to put passengers like Mertens on the pitch.
He was fecking awful yeah, couldn't believe what I was watching. No acceleration, no defensive workrate, bad passing all over the place, ... And it was not his first game like that indeed - shouldn't play anymore from now on.

He got a six(!) in some reviews in the papers today. If Lukaku puts in a performance like that he gets slaughtered for a week.

antk

Brazil and France were the better sides in both these games. Belgium has more than enough quality to overcome any opponent on their day (as seen against Brazil and Portugal), but they haven't really been impressive/dominating in any game outside of the group stages from 2016 to today.

Ramos

Brazil and France were the better sides in both these games. Belgium has more than enough quality to overcome any opponent on their day (as seen against Brazil and Portugal), but they haven't really been impressive/dominating in any game outside of the group stages from 2016 to today.
That's extremely harsh. Destroyed Hungary in the round of 16 at Euro2016 (yes only Hungary but that was an actual KO game so it counts), made that insane comeback against Japan after being 2-0 down which no team had done for 50 years, dominated Brazil the entire first half except the first couple of minutes (i remember some Brazilians even fearing another blowout after KDB's goal) and they were at the very least on par with France.

Ask random football fans around the world to name the most exciting team of the 2018 WC and a lot will say Belgium. Best scoring team/goal difference of that tournament too. Some strange revisionism going on around here.