Belgium - 2020 Euro thread

footballistic orgasm

Supports
No team in particular
Brazil and France were the better sides in both these games. Belgium has more than enough quality to overcome any opponent on their day (as seen against Brazil and Portugal), but they haven't really been impressive/dominating in any game outside of the group stages from 2016 to today.
Not sure what Belgium games you've been watching, but Belgium dominated all their games before this Euros where they've apparently decided to play more conservatively.
Against Brazil in 2018, it was a match of 2 different halves. Belgium was better in the first half, Brazil in the second as they were 2 goals down.

antk

That's extremely harsh. Destroyed Hungary in the round of 16 at Euro2016 (yes only Hungary but that was an actual KO game so it counts), made that insane comeback against Japan after being 2-0 down which no team had done for 50 years, dominated Brazil the entire first half except the first couple of minutes (i remember some Brazilians even fearing another blowout after KDB's goal) and they were at the very least on par with France.

Ask random football fans around the world to name the most exciting team of the 2018 WC and a lot will say Belgium. Best scoring team/goal difference of that tournament too. Some strange revisionism going on around here.
You're right about Hungary, I should have considered this game.

Otherwise:
- They've only had the opportunity to make their Japan comeback because they let in 2 goals beforehand, and they benefited from a very naive game management from the opposing team. The winning goal was gorgeous but any top team would be ashamed to concede in such fashion.
- xG is a flawed stat to use, especially for their QF against Brazil as they took an early lead (on an own goal) and had no incentive to attack much more, but they won from a 0.5 - 2.8 xG deficit. Courtois had an outstanding performance and they definitely weren't very exciting defending for most of the game.
- The opposite thing happened against France, with a very toothless domination of possession. The game ended with 19 shots France to 9 Belgium, 1,7 to 0.5 (once again) xG. I don't see how they could be described as unlucky when their best chance came from a random pivot shot from a CB (Alderweireld) and they resorted to Fellaini as a last hope when they realized they couldn't get into the box any other way.

Their goal scoring and GD was built up in the group stages, where they indeed looked very impressive.

Not sure what Belgium games you've been watching, but Belgium dominated all their games before this Euros where they've apparently decided to play more conservatively.
Against Brazil in 2018, it was a match of 2 different halves. Belgium was better in the first half, Brazil in the second as they were 2 goals down.
I'm only talking about tournaments there. They've obviously been outstanding outside of them, in the same way they've been ruthless in group stages. The only knockout games I'd say they dominated were Hungary and Wales (while not being very impressive either way) in 2016.

EDIT: Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying they're not one of the absolute top teams in these tournaments (and with a healthy KDB I'd expect them to dismiss Italy), but their play has definitely been overhyped IMO.

Last edited:

Botim

Supports
Royal Antwerp FC
Martinez press conference:

- Both Hazard & De Bruyne 50/50 chance of playing Friday. No ligament/muscle damage, but soreness after knocks.
- Proud of yesterday's team spirit. It was the type of game we haven't had to play yet: gritty, hard fought, tense.
- We won't sit back and play counter-attacking football vs Italy, it's not our DNA. We want the ball.
- I know Mancini from our PL days, he's a meticulous coach. We will have to be more composed than in the second half vs Portugal.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Martinez press conference:

- Both Hazard & De Bruyne 50/50 chance of playing Friday. No ligament/muscle damage, but soreness after knocks.
- Proud of yesterday's team spirit. It was the type of game we haven't had to play yet: gritty, hard fought, tense.
- We won't sit back and play counter-attacking football vs Italy, it's not our DNA. We want the ball.
- I know Mancini from our PL days, he's a meticulous coach. We will have to be more composed than in the second half vs Portugal.
Looks like out for quarter finals but could be back for semis in best case? Both being out would be really rough on Belgium though. Brutal past season just making them all drop like flies.

RobinLFC

Cries when Liverpool doesn't get praised
Supports
Liverpool
Looks like out for quarter finals but could be back for semis in best case? Both being out would be really rough on Belgium though. Brutal past season just making them all drop like flies.
Can’t read the article but that’s not what Martinez alluded at just now in his presser.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
Italy should send a thank you note to the Portuguese butchers that kicked them out of the match.

TheReligion

Abusive
Chasing the game and only have Praet and Chadli to call on.

Nowhere near as strong as made out. Enough said.

Irwin99

Belgium 2016-2021
England 2004-2010
Portugal 1998-2004
A million Dutch teams over the years

It's not easy winning these competitions, even for a golden generation. A better manager though could have done more maybe?

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
WC2022 or bust?

Their defence is aging, De Bruyne is 30, Lukaku can't do it in big games, Hazard looks finished.

Doku looks good though, have they got any other big names coming through?

Wolf1992

Supports
No team in particular.
Belgium 2016-2021
England 2004-2010
Portugal 1998-2004
A million Dutch teams over the years

It's not easy winning these competitions, even for a golden generation. A better manager though could have done more maybe?
Netherlands did win the Euro with a great generation.
Best dutch team so far, only behind 70s Netherlands

Dan_F

Italy should send a thank you note to the Portuguese butchers that kicked them out of the match.
Yeah KDB and Hazard are famously always available for selection.

Honestly, the golden generation tag is hardly befitting of the expectancy that is placed on them. I don’t understand how they are rated number 1, I know FIFA have some kind of points logic behind it, but eh. They have one genuine world class player, Hazard is long done and Lukaku (he’s elite but not superstar level).

England can’t even get the likes of Sancho, Grealish, Foden on the pitch. Belgium are bringing Chadli on. Given Belguim’s history/league coefficient, it’s incredible the talent the they have right now, that can’t be denied.

edit. This isn’t supposed to be an arrogant England post, they have big flaws too. I have just never really understood their number one rating.

padr81

Supports
Man City

Honestly, the golden generation tag is hardly befitting of the expectancy that is placed on them. I don’t understand how they are rated number 1, I know FIFA have some kind of points logic behind it, but eh. They have one genuine world class player, Hazard is long done and Lukaku (he’s elite but not superstar level).

England can’t even get the likes of Sancho, Grealish, Foden on the pitch. Belgium are bringing Chadli on. Given Belguim’s history/league coefficient, it’s incredible the talent the they have right now, that can’t be denied.

edit. This isn’t supposed to be an arrogant England post, they have big flaws too. I have just never really understood their number one rating.
Its purely based on results. Belgium have had the best, they've been the most consistent team for the last while, very similar to England golden generation, super consistent (especially in qualifiers) but always outdone in the end by either a super performance from a strong team or simply failing to deal with the pressure. Both also suffered from having pretty poor managers all things considered.

Wolf1992

Supports
No team in particular.
Its purely based on results. Belgium have had the best, they've been the most consistent team for the last while, very similar to England golden generation, super consistent (especially in qualifiers) but always outdone in the end by either a super performance from a strong team or simply failing to deal with the pressure. Both also suffered from having pretty poor managers all things considered.
Belgium knocked out Brazil in 2018.

Also Belgium isn't considered a big team, England underachievement its way worse.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord

Yeah the rating is silly. I think Belgium have had a good squad for the last 8 years, but in the end they did feck all with it. Did they even reach a single semi's?

Also Belgium isn't considered a big team, England underachievement its way worse.
How arent they a big team? They've been ranked 1st for like 4 years.

padr81

Supports
Man City

Not what I'm on about, I'm on about why they're number 1 in the world, because like that England team (who never reached no.1), they are super consistent but for whatever reason haven't got the W in a major competition similar to that England team.

ArjenIsM3

Happy to see the arrogant cnuts knocked out tbh. They never perform but are so full of themselves it's baffling.

Maluco

Last Man Standing 3 champion 2019/20
That is that for the golden generation I think. Hazard is chunky and done. CBS, which were the bedrock, are now long past their best and they have little to no proper quality to come from the bench.

They don’t seem to have many bright prospects coming through bar Doku. They have done well over this period but never really had the depth to challenge at big tournaments.

Now they don’t really even have an eleven to challenge anymore.

Happy to see the arrogant cnuts knocked out tbh. They never perform but are so full of themselves it's baffling.
Agree 100% with this. I assume the FIFA metrics will knock them off their no 1 spot after this tournament, which they have been dining out on, yet won nothing.

Dan_F

If you go back through their results to 2016, they smash tiny teams, had a few shocking or average results in friendlies (I don’t know if they count towards rankings). But I still can’t figure out why they would be rated number one.

Jev

I think they may still have one more shot in 2022. The ageing defenders aren't irreplaceably spectacular, KDB will still be world-class, Tielemans and Doku will improve, and Eden Hazard may still recapture some of his old form. Time really is running out for the golden generation, though, and to be honest the squad isn't even looking that great anymore. Very much carried by KDB and Lukaku this tournament.

Wolf1992

Supports
No team in particular.
WC 2002 is their last shot.

Doable considering it's only one year away.

padr81

Supports
Man City
If you go back through their results to 2016, they smash tiny teams, had a few shocking or average results in friendlies (I don’t know if they count towards rankings). But I still can’t figure out why they would be rated number one.
Friendlies count but its pretty much an elo system since 2018, the better the team you beat the more points you get. Belgium have consistently beaten good side. Consistently getting top results in Nations League, going deep in the world cup etc.. Surprised France aren't above them but I think it might be to do with qualifiers etc...

RobinLFC

Cries when Liverpool doesn't get praised
Supports
Liverpool
Friendlies count but its pretty much an elo system since 2018, the better the team you beat the more points you get. Belgium have consistently beaten good side. Consistently getting top results in Nations League, going deep in the world cup etc.. Surprised France aren't above them but I think it might be to do with qualifiers etc...
Number one in the world means pretty much nothing. It’s a nice “to have” but no one cares if you can’t convert when it matters.

Dan_F

Really doesn’t seem like they have looking at their results. I guess beating England twice and Brazil in 2018 goes a long way towards that though.

AndrewMac

Golden generation ruined by a manager who had no place being there. Ridiculous he got that job.

padr81

Supports
Man City
Really doesn’t seem like they have looking at their results. I guess beating England twice and Brazil in 2018 goes a long way towards that though.
Not just that, teams like Denmark, Croatia, Wales and even Iceland were highly rated when they played on the back of Euro 2016. Plus they rarely drop points in qualifying.

El-Manos

This was our opportunity. We’re done. Very bad performance. They were beatable, they didn’t act. Simple as

Ainu

Disappointed. This was always going to be a tough match but we barely showed up. Winning against strong nations when it matters is still very much an exception for us, unfortunately.

It hurts, because I really wanted to see our team contest a trophy in my lifetime and this team tricked me into believing. It's not going to happen anymore at this point.

Wolf1992

Supports
No team in particular.
Not just that, teams like Denmark, Croatia, Wales and even Iceland were highly rated when they played on the back of Euro 2016. Plus they rarely drop points in qualifying.
Denmark didn't qualify to Euro 2016.

padr81

Supports
Man City
Denmark didn't qualify to Euro 2016.
The first 3 are currently rated, Iceland were highly rated on the back of 2016.

After Euro 2016. Denmark are top division in the nations league, currently ranked 10th in the world, 7th in Europe above Germany and Netherlands.

Wales are 17th (11th in Europe) and Croatia 14th (9th in Europe). High quality opponents.

Eendracht maakt macht

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Supports
PSV Eindhoven
Has Courtois said something about imaginary Dutch people tonight?

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Don’t understand why they don’t play back 4 to allow another attacking player to be played. They need a decent manager to get the best out of the team.
Can't tell if serious or not :lol:

Anyways, first of all: :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Now, belgium's two main problems: much like england's, their golden generation was never the most talented side in any tournament they took part in. They lost to objectively superior sides in both 2014 and 2018, and this time around to a team around their same level of talent. Really only 2016 they lost to someone they shouldn't have

And the second problem, is that they wasted years of this by leaving a guy who looked like he won the job through a raffle in charge (Wilmots), then after that inevitably crashed and burned with that inexcusable defeat to Wales, they replaced him with a guy whose credentials for the job were "Is not Wilmots"

Wolf1992

Supports
No team in particular.
Can't tell if serious or not :lol:

Anyways, first of all: :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Now, belgium's two main problems: much like england's, their golden generation was never the most talented side in any tournament they took part in. They lost to objectively superior sides in both 2014 and 2018, and this time around to a team around their same level of talent. Really only 2016 they lost to someone they shouldn't have

And the second problem, is that they wasted years of this by leaving a guy who looked like he won the job through a raffle in charge (Wilmots), then after that inevitably crashed and burned with that inexcusable defeat to Wales, they replaced him with a guy whose credentials for the job were "Is not Wilmots"
Belgium wasted its chance in 2016, they could have beaten Portugal and reach final.

They fecked up against Wales