Belgium - 2020 Euro thread

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Yeah, said as much. Still, even if they beat portugal, they would've had to beat France in Paris

I mean, with their quality it wasn't impossible, but they needed a great coach

Eendracht maakt macht

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Supports
PSV Eindhoven
Yeah, said as much. Still, even if they beat portugal, they would've had to beat France in Paris

I mean, with their quality it wasn't impossible, but they needed a great coach
They absolutely love Martinez over there. It’s ridiculous.

Ayoba

Poster of Noncense.
Is this the end for Martinez or will he stay for the WC next year?

Judas

Open to offers
Hope Martinez stays for many more years. This Belgium side has shown the same flaws and weaknesses under him, nothings changed or improved really when it matters.

They've always been a bit overrated but the ease with which Italy got through their midfield was surprising, considering the players they have. KDB was obviously not fit and should have been on the bench.

The Martinez v Mancini match up was pretty one sided too. There was never much risk Belgium would come out firing after half time.

Dr. Funkenstein

Not CAF Geert Wilders
And the second problem, is that they wasted years of this by leaving a guy who looked like he won the job through a raffle in charge (Wilmots), then after that inevitably crashed and burned with that inexcusable defeat to Wales, they replaced him with a guy whose credentials for the job were "Is not Wilmots"
To be fair, Wilmots got them from 114th in the world ranking or something to the WC. Belgium was in absolute shambles, the FA was bankrupt, there was no organization, no proper staff, every manager with self respect said no. But instead of giving Wilmots a statue, a knighthood and a million, which he deserved, they gave him the job for more years out of gratitude, which was a mistake. Because the national team was about the only thing holding the country together, they kept telling themselves that their 2014 WC was a success, while it was obviously an underachievement.

The Belgians have been great as underdogs, in 2002 and 1986 for example. But as a football nation they can't handle the prospect of being the best with the best players. They confuse exciting matches with playing very well, like against the USA and Japan. If their talented players string a few passes together they believe it's total football 2.0. They love to compare themselves to great Netherlands sides from the past, but don't really understand what made them great from their own defensive tradition. They failed to set the bar high enough in terms what kind of football these talented players could bring if they really gelled and starting playing an intelligent passing game. Instead they declared mediocre team play with too little creativity from the collective to be the greatest art form, while congratulating themselves on being better than the Netherlands in it's biggest crisis and talent drought since 1980. As a ftooball nation they won the talent lottery and got 'sudden wealth syndrome'.

In that state of mind they got Martinez, a manager in line with their defensive tradition, expecting him to play breathtaking attacking football and when he didn't , pretending he did by celebrating some beautiful counter attacks.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
To be fair, Wilmots got them from 114th in the world ranking or something to the WC.
Ah, the ranking, the all important ranking :lol:
Belgium was in absolute shambles, the FA was bankrupt, there was no organization, no proper staff, every manager with self respect said no. But instead of giving Wilmots a statue, a knighthood and a million, which he deserved, they gave him the job for more years out of gratitude, which was a mistake.
With that quality of players it was impossible not to be good. Which is all Wilmots just about managed. I don't know what he did for the FA or whatever, if he really was that important for them then kudos, he was still an hilariously incompetent coach

Because the national team was about the only thing holding the country together, they kept telling themselves that their 2014 WC was a success, while it was obviously an underachievement.
They went out to Argentina. That wasn't an underachievement. The uncompetitiveness of the game was. Easiest game of the tournament for the argies

But as a football nation they can't handle the prospect of being the best with the best players.
They never were the best and never had the best players though. This is the other thing, perspective. Plenty of similarly or more talented groups never won anything either, through a combination of luck, chocking, and simply not being the best around

Classical Mechanic

They've always been a bit overrated but the ease with which Italy got through their midfield was surprising, considering the players they have. KDB was obviously not fit and should have been on the bench.

The Martinez v Mancini match up was pretty one sided too. There was never much risk Belgium would come out firing after half time.
It's not that much of a surprise. Against Denmark they conceded 21 shots and returned 6, the xG was 2.24-0.79 in Denmark's favour. Against Portugal they conceded 23 shots and returned 6, the xG was 1.73-0.25 in Portugal's favour. The xG on their goal against Portugal was 0.03xG and they didn't create another chance higher than 0.05xG. Those kind of performances made them winning the tournament pretty unlikely unless they got a lot better. Without wanting to upset Belgium fans they were easy to play against and had been riding their 'luck' in the tournament already. They actually did better against Italy but were still not the better team and ended up on the wrong side if the result.

I think their squad peaked in 2018 and that was their best chance to win something, although they relied on a similar performance against Brazil to the two mentioned here in that competition to get through to the semi final. They'll still have a chance at the World Cup next year but I think they need a more defensively competent manager to do anything.

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
It's not that much of a surprise. Against Denmark they conceded 21 shots and returned 6, the xG was 2.24-0.79 in Denmark's favour. Against Portugal they conceded 23 shots and returned 6, the xG was 1.73-0.25 in Portugal's favour. The xG on their goal against Portugal was 0.03xG and they didn't create another chance higher than 0.05xG. Those kind of performances made them winning the tournament pretty unlikely unless they got a lot better. Without wanting to upset Belgium fans they were easy to play against and had been riding their 'luck' in the tournament already. They actually did better against Italy but were still not the better team and ended up on the wrong side if the result.

I think their squad peaked in 2018 and that was their best chance to win something. They'll still have a chance at the World Cup next year but I think they need a more defensively competent manager to do anything.
I would add that they need a new group of defenders to replace the ones they have who are looking very tired

England’s ‘golden generation’ was better than Belgium’s ‘golden generation’ - both had the same problem, misplaced arrogance and a failure to play for the team.

I think their squad peaked in 2018 and that was their best chance to win something, although they relied on a similar performance against Brazil to the two mentioned here in that competition to get through to the semi final. They'll still have a chance at the World Cup next year but I think they need a more defensively competent manager to do anything.
Well, I was being a little nice. They have looked vulnerable but still Italy cut them open time and time again. The individuals they have dont match the level of performance they return, they should be much better.

They will always create opportunities with their attack but like Spain they can't get the final ball.

Ecstatic

Cutie patootie!
Supports
PsG
Thomas Meunier after the game against Russia
  • " Mais nous sommes numéro un au classement mondial et, pour nous battre, il faudra une sacrée armada."
  • Quick translation: "We are number 1 in the FIFA ranking so you would need an armada to beat us"

Good player. Successful carreer. However, I believe he could have been a much more better player because I thought he had the physical potential to be the modern Giacento Fachetti.

Dutch, French, Belgian overly confident but Italy has a real quality team that tends to master the opponent.

Eendracht maakt macht

Supports
PSV Eindhoven
England’s ‘golden generation’ was better than Belgium’s ‘golden generation’ - both had the same problem, misplaced arrogance and a failure to play for the team.
No sir it’s the Dutch that are arrogant not the Belgians. You haven’t paid attention!

Mickson

I've never really been impressed with Belgium when I've watched them play. Also, their defense is not good enough. Such a stupid thing to do from Verthongen for the first goal. Surely all their three center-backs will be gone for the World Cup? But then again, I didn't expect Vermaelen to come into the side from nowhere. Would he get into any team in the Euros? I'm honestly not sure.

Eendracht maakt macht

Supports
PSV Eindhoven
These Belgium players are particularly dislikable.

the Dutch aren’t arrogant, they just usually have a meltdown! Particularly disappointed in the lack of drama from the Dutch camp this year :D
Lack of drama and lack of character. And most importantly quality.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Meh, it was more bad luck than anything else with england imo. Except for McLaren, every other time it was either injuries to their key players(Rooney, Owen) or they just run into a better team(brazil)

Tomuś

Nani is crap, I tell you!
Good, couldn't stand this wanking over Belgium in the media.

Italy ate the alive in the first half.

noodlehair

"It's like..."
Is it just me or does Lukaku now get praised for doing literally exactly the same things he used to get ripped apart for at United?

I mean I'm more in line with thinking the praise is justified, but he's exactly the same player. Just slightly less fat.

GDaly95

Says he's one of the best posters
They're not really the team stacked with top players that we're made to believe they are to be fair.

Players like Vermaelen and Chadli managing to get involved. Their defence is general is fairly ancient and it doesn't look like they have any defenders coming through?

Hazard isn't arsed anymore. Doku looked a great prospect but is clearly still raw based on his output yet they were largely relying on him to step up and do something special last night.

Having said all that, they've wasted their time with Roberto Martinez. Was such a weird appointment at the time and doesn't look any less weird now.

Dr. Funkenstein

Not CAF Geert Wilders
Ah, the ranking, the all important ranking :lol:
It does say something if it's that low. They couldn't even beat some former Soviet stan no one remembers it's name.
With that quality of players it was impossible not to be good. Which is all Wilmots just about managed. I don't know what he did for the FA or whatever, if he really was that important for them then kudos, he was still an hilariously incompetent coach
He was out of of his depth, no doubt about that. But the surrounding of the national team was unprofessional to a degree no one else was willing to take the job.

They never were the best and never had the best players though. This is the other thing, perspective. Plenty of similarly or more talented groups never won anything either, through a combination of luck, chocking, and simply not being the best around
The point is that players took turns in showing their class, rather than bringing it together and becoming a real class team. The manager, the players, the FA, the media, they all ignored that and took flashes of individual class for really good football.

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

They’ve had world class players but never a world class team. You would see Kompany partnered by Boyata & De Bruyne partnered by Fellaini. It always looked really unbalanced. I think their best chance to win something would’ve been Euro 2016.

Courtois
Meunier Kompany Alderweireld Vertonghan
Witsel Nainggolan
Mertens De Bruyne Hazard
Lukaku​

That team circa 2016 looks strong enough to win a major tournament.

Ainu

They absolutely love Martinez over there. It’s ridiculous.
I don't know what Belgian fans you've been speaking to, but that is certainly not true for pretty much any fellow supporter I've ever interacted with. His appointment was met with a feeling of "meh", we thought very little of him during our first qualifying campaign and we only sort of started tolerating him because the World Cup wasn't bad and we had some great moments. Nothing he's shown since has really elevated him in our collective estimation. The media has always been extremely easy on him though, I'll give you that.

To be fair, Wilmots got them from 114th in the world ranking or something to the WC. Belgium was in absolute shambles, the FA was bankrupt, there was no organization, no proper staff, every manager with self respect said no. But instead of giving Wilmots a statue, a knighthood and a million, which he deserved, they gave him the job for more years out of gratitude, which was a mistake. Because the national team was about the only thing holding the country together, they kept telling themselves that their 2014 WC was a success, while it was obviously an underachievement.

The Belgians have been great as underdogs, in 2002 and 1986 for example. But as a football nation they can't handle the prospect of being the best with the best players. They confuse exciting matches with playing very well, like against the USA and Japan. If their talented players string a few passes together they believe it's total football 2.0. They love to compare themselves to great Netherlands sides from the past, but don't really understand what made them great from their own defensive tradition. They failed to set the bar high enough in terms what kind of football these talented players could bring if they really gelled and starting playing an intelligent passing game. Instead they declared mediocre team play with too little creativity from the collective to be the greatest art form, while congratulating themselves on being better than the Netherlands in it's biggest crisis and talent drought since 1980. As a ftooball nation they won the talent lottery and got 'sudden wealth syndrome'.

In that state of mind they got Martinez, a manager in line with their defensive tradition, expecting him to play breathtaking attacking football and when he didn't , pretending he did by celebrating some beautiful counter attacks.
No, just no. :lol: I mean, you'll probably find some Belgians who'd say that but most level headed fans never got carried away that much. We've obviously seen more casual fans who've been riding the wave of our talented generation, they probably thought we were brilliant or something, but that happens everywhere. I think a lot of us just wanted to enjoy a good generation while it lasts, before we go back to struggling to qualify and basically being irrelevant. We just hoped we might've gotten to a final along the way or something.

Eendracht maakt macht

Supports
PSV Eindhoven
I don't know what Belgian fans you've been speaking to, but that is certainly not true for pretty much any fellow supporter I've ever interacted with. His appointment was met with a feeling of "meh", we thought very little of him during our first qualifying campaign and we only sort of started tolerating him because the World Cup wasn't bad and we had some great moments. Nothing he's shown since has really elevated him in our collective estimation. The media has always been extremely easy on him though, I'll give you that.

No, just no. :lol: I mean, you'll probably find some Belgians who'd say that but most level headed fans never got carried away that much. We've obviously seen more casual fans who've been riding the wave of our talented generation, they probably thought we were brilliant or something, but that happens everywhere. I think a lot of us just wanted to enjoy a good generation while it lasts, before we go back to struggling to qualify and basically being irrelevant. We just hoped we might've gotten to a final along the way or something.
On Sporza they were before this match really positive about him. But if that’s not the general feeling I stand corrected.

Eendracht maakt macht

Supports
PSV Eindhoven
Yeah those guys are so soft, the interviews are cringe worthy. Although some of the guest pundits are a bit more critical or realistic.
I watch every match on Sporza. When it’s not Belgium they are miles better than the NOS. Just like Cycling. Cycling the difference is even wider. I was sad Wuyts left although I understand the decision. But god why o why Youri Mulder.

Ainu

I watch every match on Sporza. When it’s not Belgium they are miles better than the NOS. Just like Cycling. Cycling the difference is even wider. I was sad Wuyts left although I understand the decision. But god why o why Youri Mulder.
Surprised you say that about Wuyts, I had the idea (from a Dutch cycling site) that a lot of Dutch cycling fans really can't stand him. And you don't like Your Mulder? Always seemed all right to me.

Skorenzy

It does say something if it's that low. They couldn't even beat some former Soviet stan no one remembers it's name.
He was out of of his depth, no doubt about that. But the surrounding of the national team was unprofessional to a degree no one else was willing to take the job.

The point is that players took turns in showing their class, rather than bringing it together and becoming a real class team. The manager, the players, the FA, the media, they all ignored that and took flashes of individual class for really good football.
True, it was quite a bad period all the way thru from the end of Wilmots' playing days (finishing with a strong underdog performance at the 2002 WC) right up until the moment he took charge of the NT a decade later.
The low point from a professionalism POV must've been somewhere around the Dick Advocaat saga... but then you guys have had a taste of Advocaat quite recently as well, no? ;)

Ichbineinberlingo

Supports
Fc Kovenhagen
Entire backline was cancelled by the English subtop, Witsel wasnt expected to be fit, Tielemans way off, De Bruyne between a broken face and a torn ligament. Eden played 1 game. Doku hasnt made 10 goals as a pro and still people rant about golden generation its very lazy critique.

Dismissing the 18 worldcup as meh is pretty lazy as wel. It was Belgiums best tournament ever and they probably were the most atractive team in the tournament.

As a football nation it doesnt get much better then that.

Martinez is fine although this was his weakest tournament. He'll make some necessary changes and next world cup QF very possible again which would be another testament to the amazing batch of talents Belgium produced last years.

Wolf1992

Supports
No team in particular.
Entire backline was cancelled by the English subtop, Witsel wasnt expected to be fit, Tielemans way off, De Bruyne between a broken face and a torn ligament. Eden played 1 game. Doku hasnt made 10 goals as a pro and still people rant about golden generation its very lazy critique.

Dismissing the 18 worldcup as meh is pretty lazy as wel. It was Belgiums best tournament ever and they probably were the most atractive team in the tournament.

As a football nation it doesnt get much better then that.

Martinez is fine although this was his weakest tournament. He'll make some necessary changes and next world cup QF very possible again which would be another testament to the amazing batch of talents Belgium produced last years.
People just forget how hard is to win a tournament.
England hasn't won anything since 1966, and didn't even manage to knock out a big team since 1970 either in World Cup or Euro.And they had more quality than Belgium.

Belgium 3rd place at WC it's nice, before that they got 4th place in 1986 and a final in 1980 Euro with a great belgian team.

They have a chance to do well tournament in 2022, it will be the last of this generation at its peak.

Eendracht maakt macht

Supports
PSV Eindhoven
Surprised you say that about Wuyts, I had the idea (from a Dutch cycling site) that a lot of Dutch cycling fans really can't stand him. And you don't like Your Mulder? Always seemed all right to me.
He’s a bit too nationalistic towards Lefevre and Van Aert but he is the voice of cycling for me. There is not a single Dutch cycling fan that watches cycling on Dutch tv. My uncle went to home when my father turned on Dutch tv. Wuyts and De Cauwer is cycling for me.

Stormpetrel

Do people ever cared about the fifa ranking or is that just used to make negative comment abouts Belgium? I don't even know who was first before we got there.

TheGame

Can't tell if serious or not :lol:

Anyways, first of all: :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Now, belgium's two main problems: much like england's, their golden generation was never the most talented side in any tournament they took part in. They lost to objectively superior sides in both 2014 and 2018, and this time around to a team around their same level of talent. Really only 2016 they lost to someone they shouldn't have

And the second problem, is that they wasted years of this by leaving a guy who looked like he won the job through a raffle in charge (Wilmots), then after that inevitably crashed and burned with that inexcusable defeat to Wales, they replaced him with a guy whose credentials for the job were "Is not Wilmots"
Not sure what the emojis are for. So you agreed they need a better manager then?

They would look better with a 4-2-3-1 / 4-3-3. 3 at the back is wasted with them.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Not sure what the emojis are for. So you agreed they need a better manager then?

They would look better with a 4-2-3-1 / 4-3-3. 3 at the back is wasted with them.
Thorgan Hazard, Doku, De Bruyne, Lukaku. That's 4 forwards on the pitch from the start

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Thorgan Hazard playing left wing back and defending for most of it.
Which he would have done regardless of nominal formations or roles given Italy's ball domination for most of the game

I mean, to be clear, you're right their formation was a major problem against us - the 5-2-3 defensive shape made it laughably easy for us to move the ball up the pitch and dominate the middle, and by the time martinez switched it to a 5-3-2/4-3-3 it was too late and also they were badly positioned most of the time anyways so it didn't really work either. Martinez gameplan was bad, he failed to adjust quickly and his adjustments failed to work anyways when he made them(except very briefly Mertens, but Mancini reacted immediately to shut that down)

This was not an issue of not enough attacking players on the pitch though

Last edited: