Ben Pearson

Brightonian

No, he wasn't. He had a good first 45 but he needs to take his fair share of responsibility for our 2nd half collapse, during which City won the midfield battle too easily.
Compare to our total lack of anything resembling a midfield whatsoever in the first fixture, and I'd say he effected a massive improvement in our presence in the middle of the park. Looked like a decent performance to me, and he didn't have anything particularly to do with our being outplayed in the second half.

vidic blood & sand

Would like to see him get a game on tour. I really hope he's finally given the opportunity. Such a good little player. Great passing and tackling.

Sid234

No need to be so dramatic.. I'm sure we're planning to loan him out. There'll be loads of interest in him too after his excellent performances on loan last season

Glanville95

Why RIP? He most likely wouldn't have featured this season even if we hadn't signed Schneiderlin. For all we know, this could be Carrick's final season and that could potentially open up a squad place for him.

We have a plethora of midfield options, but I guarantee we'll still blood Pereira more this season and why can't that be the case for Pearson in the foreseeable future?

kundalini

If his chances of making it at United were 10% a week ago, they are now 1%. Personally I've never been convinced due to his lack of height given we aren't particularly strong in the air. Anyway, he would be better off taking the Janko option, as would Rothwell.

Sid234

The cynicism with the club's youngsters and youth policy has really reached a new high these past few weeks..

Brightonian

Quite. Almost entirely from those who aren't generally anywhere to be seen around the actual U21s and U18s match day threads either.

People who actually watch the likes of Pearson tend to be more optimistic.

pascell

Don't see the problem, Carrick and Schweinsteiger are for the short term. Pearson is only 20 and in 3 years when Carrick and Schweinsteiger have probably moved on, he should be ready for the first team if he's deemed good enough.

Brightonian

Don't see the problem, Carrick and Schweinsteiger are for the short term. Pearson is only 20 and in 3 years when Carrick and Schweinsteiger have probably moved on, he should be ready for the first team if he's deemed good enough.
Exactly. Schweinsteiger probably won't last significantly longer than Carrick (younger, but massively more reliant on energy and stamina). As the pair of them fade out over the next few seasons, Pearson will have plenty of time to fade in.

Lennon7

nipple flasher and door destroyer
This. Being in and around the first team and playing in cup games for the next 2/3 years will do wonders for him anyway. Perhaps a loan spell in the next 3 years to a Prem team as well, assuming he's good enough.

Sid234

He's got one hell of a group of mentors for the next few years.
Exactly, The young midfielders coming through have Carrick and Schweinstiger to learn from!

And if there's one thing I've learnt about LvG's management style over the past season it is that if he thinks a player is good enough, he will make space for them in the 1st team.

He did it in the past with Xavi, Iniesta, Muller and even last season with Wilson.

He sold Welbeck, now let Van Persie, Falcao go and will most likely sell Hernandez as well.. He wouldn't have done that if he thought Wilson wasn't good enough to be the #3 striker for the coming season at the very least

limerickcitykid

There once was a kid from Toronto...
Ben was always going to go on loan this season, he pretty much confirmed it himself when he said earlier he wanted a Championship loan. Carrick and Schweini will be moving on soon enough so if Ben keeps progressing on his loan he'll be given the chance.

khoazany

This. Being in and around the first team and playing in cup games for the next 2/3 years will do wonders for him anyway. Perhaps a loan spell in the next 3 years to a Prem team as well, assuming he's good enough.
Players won't progress to be good enough for the first team that way.

I always have doubt about Pearson.Not about his ability but his lack of involvement with the first team on training etc in the past 2 years (while even Rothwell or Weir have trained quite a bit with them) suggest either the manager doesn't think he's good enough or we're waiting for him to mature (his mental age is below of his real age according to what was suggested from Carrington, hence the rashness on his tackles sometimes).

If his chances of making it at United were 10% a week ago, they are now 1%. Personally I've never been convinced due to his lack of height given we aren't particularly strong in the air. Anyway, he would be better off taking the Janko option, as would Rothwell.
I know where you are coming from but surely that shouldn't stop us from giving him the chance or two if we think the rest of his game is good enough.Blind isn't particularly strong in the air as well.

Lennon7

nipple flasher and door destroyer
Players won't progress to be good enough for the first team that way.

I always have doubt about Pearson.Not about his ability but his lack of involvement with the first team on training etc in the past 2 years (while even Rothwell or Weir have trained quite a bit with them) suggest either the manager doesn't think he's good enough or we're waiting for him to mature (his mental age is below of his real age according to what was suggested from Carrington, hence the rashness on his tackles sometimes).

I know where you are coming from but surely that shouldn't stop us from giving him the chance or two if we think the rest of his game is good enough.
He's 20 years old. If he starts training with the first team and playing a few games per season, of course it'll do him good.

khoazany

He's 20 years old. If he starts training with the first team and playing a few games per season, of course it'll do him good.
No it won't be.At his age he needs to play a lot of games per season to progress.He's not 18.That's why we have loans.

diarm

If I'm Ben Pearson tomorrow morning, I'm thinking do I gain more this season from going out on loan, or by staying where I am and training with Bastian fecking Schweinsteiger every day.

khoazany

If I'm Ben Pearson tomorrow morning, I'm thinking do I gain more this season from going out on loan, or by staying where I am and training with Bastian fecking Schweinsteiger every day.
Your assumption is he will train with Bastian every day.He won't.Reserves player only train with the first team on occasions.Pereira was treated as a first teamer last season, and if LVG doesn't rate him enough to take in on the flight no chance he will get the same treatment.

Harsh but cold truth.

Seveneric

This logic that you stand more to gain by somehow "taking notes" from senior players rather than getting practical experience(as long as it's not at a rubbish club) is so beyond retarded it beggars belief. This site is literally the only place where I've seen it being continually spouted and I wonder who was the idiot that started it.

diarm

This logic that you stand more to gain by somehow "taking notes" from senior players rather than getting practical experience(as long as it's not at a rubbish club) is so beyond retarded it beggars belief. This site is literally the only place where I've seen it being continually spouted and I wonder who was the idiot that started it.
The most ignorant, unpleasant and unnecessary comment I have ever read on here.

If you can't comprehend the benefits of a young player watching how a world class professional (who has won pretty much every cup in the game, most as captain) conducts himself on and off the pitch then I suggest you pick up a book and read the accounts of youngsters like Beckham, Ferdinand and Neville who speak about pros like Cantona, Keane, Ronaldo, Giggs and the profound effect they had on their early careers.

For every player who benefits from going out on loan, 3 or 4 don't come back any better. Who was the last player of ours who came back a better player from a loan? The last 4 players who have come close to breaking into our first team from the Academy (McNair, Pereira, Wilson and Januzaj) never went on loans.

You have an opinion and that's great. This is a forum for discussion and debate on opinions. If you want to call people retards and idiots you should feck off and write your shite under youtube videos.

NoPace

England has the worst DMs of any of the top 10 Euro nations. He should get opportunities to shine on loan. Look at who Leicester and Burnley threw out in that general area apart from Cambiasso last year. Glenn Whelan is considered a decent enough defensive-ish midfielder in the Prem and he's garbage.

diarm

England has the worst DMs of any of the top 10 Euro nations. He should get opportunities to shine on loan. Look at who Leicester and Burnley threw out in that general area apart from Cambiasso last year. Glenn Whelan is considered a decent enough defensive-ish midfielder in the Prem and he's garbage.
I agree to an extent but there are also reasons that none of these clubs are producing good DMs. If their coaching is sub par then does simply putting a player on a pitch more often actually improve him? I don't see the results consistently.

We have better coaches and better facilities at United. He has the opportunity to train with and learn from, players of a much higher quality than anywhere we can send him on loan.

For the amount of players who are sent out on loan each season by the top Premiership clubs, the number who come back better players is very small.

khoazany

I agree to an extent but there are also reasons that none of these clubs are producing good DMs. If their coaching is sub par then does simply putting a player on a pitch more often actually improve him? I don't see the results consistently.

We have better coaches and better facilities at United. He has the opportunity to train with and learn from, players of a much higher quality than anywhere we can send him on loan.

For the amount of players who are sent out on loan each season by the top Premiership clubs, the number who come back better players is very small.
This is simply not true.Barkley,Ibe,Kane,Pritchard... all improved after their loans.We had Cleverley and Welbeck who were promoted after their performances on loan.Various cases of benefitting on loan despite ended up not making it at their parent clubs as well (Lawrence,Michael Keane from us to name a few).

There are benefits and trade-offs on both ways.That's why United mostly send them out for half of the season.

Personally I think Pearson needs to get a permanent transfer asap to a side that play good football and will play him (there are a few on the Championship) if he still want to have a good career his talent deserves.Same with Rothwell.Harrop still young enough but needs to go on loan.

Last edited:

NoPace

The number of young players who improve enough to eventually become United quality while staying at their club is also low, especially once you consider that the exceptional players may never need to go on loan.

And Pearson, based on positioning and style, doesn't seem like the type to break into the team particularly young.

diarm

This is simply not true.Barkley,Ibe,Kane,Pritchard... all improved after their loans.We had Cleverley and Welbeck who were promoted after their performances on loan.Various cases of benefitting on loan despite ended up not making it at their parent clubs as well (Lawrence,Michael Keane from us to name a few).
In the past 10 years, United have sent players out on loan 214 times. The peak was two years ago when we sent 29 players out, most of them for the season.
Do you know how many of those 200 odd players are in our current first team squad? One. Jonny Evans. Cleverley and Welbeck were the only other two to make any sort of meaningful contribution to the first team and I would hardly call them Manchester United success stories.

On the other hand, players like Darren Fletcher, John O'Shea, Rafael and Chris Smalling managed to establish themselves in the team without ever having gone on loan. Januzaj did so and more recently Pereira, McNair and Wilson have made strides without leaving the club for more game time.

I'm not necessarily saying that staying at the club will make a weak player good enough to play for Man Utd, I just don't think going on loan will do so either and the record backs me up.

Sid234

Matt James, Daniel Drinkwater, Frazier Campbell, Ryan Shawcross, Danny Simpson and Jonny Evans have all benefited from good loan spells too.

diarm

Matt James, Daniel Drinkwater, Frazier Campbell, Ryan Shawcross, Danny Simpson and Jonny Evans have all benefited from good loan spells too.
See my point above. Not one of those players you've mentioned is aged over 28 and yet none of them are playing for Manchester United.

Edit: Obviously assuming Evans leaves this summer.

khoazany

In the past 10 years, United have sent players out on loan 214 times. The peak was two years ago when we sent 29 players out, most of them for the season.
Do you know how many of those 200 odd players are in our current first team squad? One. Jonny Evans. Cleverley and Welbeck were the only other two to make any sort of meaningful contribution to the first team and I would hardly call them Manchester United success stories.

On the other hand, players like Darren Fletcher, John O'Shea, Rafael and Chris Smalling managed to establish themselves in the team without ever having gone on loan. Januzaj did so and more recently Pereira, McNair and Wilson have made strides without leaving the club for more game time.

I'm not necessarily saying that staying at the club will make a weak player good enough to play for Man Utd, I just don't think going on loan will do so either and the record backs me up.
There are differences between benefitting from loan spells and making it at United.You're missing the point.If you follow Cleverley's development for example there's no way he could make 50+ United appearances without those loan spells.

diarm

There are differences between benefitting from loan spells and making it at United.You're missing the point.If you follow Cleverley's development for example there's no way he could make 50+ United appearances without those loan spells.
There are many who would argue he should have nowhere near those 50+ caps because he wasn't a good enough player.
You can argue semantics about whether or not they're improved players, and clearly I should have worded my earlier post differently to say very few come back as Man Utd standard players.

But at the end of the day, the objective of us rearing young players is to identify and develop talent for our first team, not to provide the lower reaches of the premiership and the championship with well trained journeymen who got plenty of experience out on loan.

The best players we have developed in the last 10 years never went on loan. Now whether that is because they were good enough for the first team earlier or because they developed better staying at United or a mix of the two is up for debate. What is clear is that we're wasting our time sending 20 odd players out on loan every summer.

limerickcitykid

There once was a kid from Toronto...
On the other hand, players like Darren Fletcher, John O'Shea, Rafael and Chris Smalling managed to establish themselves in the team without ever having gone on loan.
O'Shea went on loan and Smalling and Rafael are not from our youth setup with Smalling already being a first team player for Fulham so they are irrelevant.

Pereira, Wilson and McNair haven't made it yet and Adnan has taken a step back in the last year by staying at the club. There are cases for all of them having benefited by going on loan and we may even see that in the future.

Just because players go on loan and don't make it here doesn't mean they don't improve. They wouldn't have made it here by not going on loan either. You need the balance of first team football and top training and sticking around playing a few games a season doesn't offer that. There are no players at top clubs who at 21 were on 20 first team appearances, many had over 100+ appearances that gives them the development that training never will.

diarm

O'Shea went on loan and Smalling and Rafael are not from our youth setup with Smalling already being a first team player for Fulham so they are irrelevant.

Pereira, Wilson and McNair haven't made it yet and Adnan has taken a step back in the last year by staying at the club. There are cases for all of them having benefited by going on loan and we may even see that in the future.

Just because players go on loan and don't make it here doesn't mean they don't improve. They wouldn't have made it here by not going on loan either. You need the balance of first team football and top training and sticking around playing a few games a season doesn't offer that. There are no players at top clubs who at 21 were on 20 first team appearances, many had over 100+ appearances that gives them the development that training never will.
Smalling was the same age as Pearson is now when he came to United. Rafael was two years younger and had an identical twin who spent considerable time out on loan. By the age of 20, we should know if a player has what it takes for a shot at the first team and shouldn't need to be sending him out on loan to find out. Of course, Pearson might be the one player in 10 years who develops later, but is it truly worth sending 200+ players out on loan to find that one player in 10 years?

You're quite right on O'Shea. I'm not sure how I missed that but he had 2 loan spells. That would make him, for me, the last truly successful loan deal for United. 15 years ago.

You're also right that Pereira, Wilson, McNair and Januzaj haven't made it yet. But they're a hell of a lot further along than the 29 players who went out on loan 2 years ago or the 24 who went the year before that.

PS18

The best players we have developed in the last 10 years never went on loan.
Not even close to being true. A list of the best players we've developed in the last 10 years - looking at first team impact, international recognition, level of club sold to etc - would probably go something like: Richardson, Bardsley, Rossi, Pique, Evans, Simpson, Gibson, Shawcross, Campbell, Welbeck, Cleverley, Pogba, Januzaj. Even if you want to include Rafael, those who went on loan and benefited hugely outnumber those who didn't/haven't. If you look at the few players to have broken through at any reasonably high level club in this country over a similar sort of timespan, you'll generally see loan spells on their CV as well.